• Published 4th Apr 2015
  • 341 Views, 6 Comments

The Chaos Comes - fatewing1



Nightmares plague Twilight's Night, only to be explained as memories both her's and not. An evil older then the birth of Equestria Comes forth to take the land into shadow. Can the Bearers of Harmony prevail? Or will they fall into Shadow?

  • ...
 6
 341

Chapter 2

Twilight started to make a plan, sharing it with her friends as it formed. "Rarity, take what earth ponies and unicorns that can work. Get them expanding the tunnels near town towards Cantorlot. There's a network of crystal caves underneath the city that you should be able to follow upto the surface. Tell the barrier unicorns to move with you so that they stay safe to the tunnels." The white unicorn nodded once and took off. "Applejack and Fluttershy, round up as many of the pegasi as you can and get them to move the wounded with the workers. Keep them out of their way but keep them safe." Her two friends gave affirmatives and went about their tasks. "Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash, I need you guys to help out where you best can. Pinkie, you stay near the barrier unicorns. Tell them which paths are safest with your Pinkie Senses, and keep their morale up. Rainbow Dash, help Rarity with the tunnels, Your speed will keep the tunnels from filling up with gas as will your ability to control it if it does start to form." The most scared of her friends finally cheered up. They knew she was giving them something to do in order to fight the fear, but they didn't care. It was working. Before they left though, Pinkie looked back. "What will you be doing, Twilight?"

Twilight smiled. "Getting their attention," she said, pointing towards the clouds. "And holding it as long as I can." Before her friends could talk her out of what sounded exactly like suicide, she took off in the opposite direction of he tunnels.

She left the barrier and was buffeted by the fierce winds. She looked for a good spot to take her first shot, and saw a beam that was still standing, high from the ground. She ran for it, and made it to the top. She scanned the clouds, both with her eyes and with her magic. She located a thunderbird, the sense of it larger than the dragon her and her friends had talked away almost two years ago. She charged her horn and fired a concentrated blast of pure magic. It hit the great bird, knocking it off balance for a second. She started to celerate a little before she noticed something truly terrifying. Her blast had knocked the thunderbird off balance a bit. It had not hurt the much larger one above it. And they both took notice of her. She teleported away, as several bolts of lightning struck the exact spot she had just stood. She galloped off, her eyes and senses peeled for both the beings behind her and for another spot to open fire again. She found another spot right before her senses treated her to a nightmare. Her eyes widened and she rethought her attack strategy. She flashed to the top of the next beam and opened her senses to the storm, a wide pulse instead of the narrow cone from before. She visibly shook at the information she had just gotten. There weren't just two huge thunderbirds in this storm. There were six. And she had hit the smallest. The largest was almost a mile long from hooked beak to thunderhead tail and t hovered above the storm, each wingbeat adding greater fury to the storm. The other five circled in progressively smaller circles, from the top down, with the smallest thunderbird at the bottom. Twilight almost shrieked in fear. If Celestia couldn't handle a young one, only about three quarters the size of the one she had hit, than how could she handle this mess? Twilight took aim at the smallest again, fired, and took off as fast as she could. She flew and ran, fire shots at as many as she could aim at, teleporting from where she was whenever they targeted her with a blast of lightning, doing everything she could to keep their attention on her and away from her friends.

She was doing well all the way up until they got lucky. A stray lightning bolt clipped the primaries on her right wing and she crashed to the ground. She could sense them glaring at her, the half hour of hide and seek annoying them more than anything. She felt the blast coming, some much lightning that she doubted that there would be enough of her left to fill a matchbook. She closed her eyes, a thought passing through her mind. It sure would be nice to have Discord around,she thought. He would probably do something really ridiculous and somehow make this lightning dissipate. The thought passed and the blast came. Twilight closed her eyes and waited. Up until she heard a chuckle. She opened her eyes to find a massive soap bubble in front of her, holding the blast within. It bounced around, not able to pop its prison, until the bubble popped on its own. The lightning shot out as a harmless laser light show and was gone. Twilight looked up, an amused grin on her face. Above, was Discord. He was looking at Twilight, a huge smile on his face. "Miss me?" the draconoquis asked. "Cause that lightning sure did." At that he burst out laughing.

Twilight shook her head. "About time you got here," she chuckled. "I was out of tricks."

Shining Armor and Princess Cadence suddenly flashed into being in front of her. Discord continued to laugh, as Shining Armor briefed his sister. "The Princesses are here as is that new alicorn. They've engaged the thunderbirds above, keeping their attention away from the civilians. Me and Cadence are to get you to them and then hold the barrier long enough for you all to get in the tunnels, as well as create a path for you all to take out of the crystal caves below Cantorlot." He took a breath, where Cadence broke in. "Come on, let's go!"

They took of at a full gallop, Shining Armor creating small barriers to intercept any lightning, and Twilight and Cadence collecting any pony that had been left behind or that had gotten lost. They finally made it to the tunnels, the last stragglers already starting to file in. Cadence and Shining Armor took their places at the mouth of the tunnels, Cadence passing her load of ponies to some of the earth ponies passing by. Twilight did the same before walking over to her brother.

"The markers are already set up," he said, parrying stray blasts of lightning from above. "You'll need to lead them, as they will only respond to you or one of the other Element Bearers." He looked at his little sister. "Take care, Twi."

"You too, Big Brother," Twilight said. She gave her big brother a quick hug, smiled at Cadence, and ran to catch up to the front of the refugees. When she was safely gone, Shining Armor trotted over to his wife.

"You ready, my dear?" he asked, his horn starting to glow a similar purple as his sister's.

"Of course, my love," Cadence, Princess and Alicorn of Love, replied, her own horn glowing a light blue. They bowed their heads to each other, and touched horns. Unlike at their wedding, where they were removing unwanted guests, this time they created a massive barrier. it completely covered the entrances to the tunnels, shining neither blue nor purple, but pure gold. At the same time, marks started to appear in the caves, pointing the refugees safely towards Cantorlot. They separated and looked up through their barrier. They knew that what they had made was one of the greatest shields ever constructed in Equestrian history. But what they saw beyond their shield had them doubting if it would survive the battle above. Shining Armor and Cadence looked at each other and nodded once. Together the teleported back to their room in Cantorlot Castle. Let the gods handle the affairs of gods.

Above the barriers of Shining Armor and Cadence, four beings faced the storm unafraid. As one the extended their magics at the storm, and released. The clouds dissipated a while, giving them a clear view of the six thunderbirds.

"Great," Fatewing said, a cocky smile on his face. "The Six Thunder Lords, including their King." He drew his blade, a silver glow covering the handle. "This should be fun."

"We don't want this to become a fight," Celestia said, trying to be the voice of reason, even though she wore her gold trimmed armor. "We just want them to go away."

Discord laughed. "Ah, come on Sunbutt," he laughed, cracking his knuckles. "You know how they are."

"Indeed, sister, Discord is right," Luna replied, her black and blue armor glinting, as was her double ended scythe. "They know only the diplomacy of blood."

The thunderbirds descended onto the small group. As one, the four separated, thunderbirds following each. One, maybe the second smallest, followed Celestia and Luna. Another, the second biggest followed Discord. But Fatewing had hovered his ground and faced the remainder, the smallest, the middle biggest, and their king. And then the world seemed to break, as battle was met.

Discord led his opponent off a ways, trying to find a spot that wouldn't get too broken up in his fight. He didn't want o upset Fluttershy later. He finally found his spot and just stopped. It was so sudden, that the Thunder Lord following him, sped right pass, leaving his back open. Discord pointed his talon, and struck the bird with a bolt of lightning. The thunderbird wheeled around and laughed.

"Did you really think that lightning could hurt me?" it called in a language no regular Equestrian would understand, but one that Discord did with ease. "I am Thor, the first born son of our king and Thunder Lord of the Mighty North. No lightning can harm me!" With that, the great beast flapped its wings at Discord, and unleashed a massive strike of lightning. It seemed to strike true, turning Discord to dust. "It can harm you, though."

Discord tapped the thunderbird on the shoulder. "Actually it can't," the Spirit of Chaos said. "Allow me to introduce myself." Snapped his fingers and appeared back where he was, suddenly three times his regular size. "I am Discord, Spirit of Chaos and formally Disharmony, Master of Paradoxes, and Lord of the Impossible. And I knew that lightning couldn't hurt you, you twit. I was being nice. Celestia wants us to try and convince you to leave peacefully." He grinned. "So will you run with your hide intact, or do I get a nw headdress?" He dodged another lightning bolt. Thor was seething. "I guess it's duck season before rabbit season then." He dodged another lightning bolt.

Discord was not just gonna stand there and allow the same thing to happen again and again then though. That would have been boring. However, he still wanted to have some fun. So he retaliated with a massive snowball, fully seventy feet across. He tossed one handed, only for it to be blasted out of the sky by concentrated thunder. Thor responded with a massive wave of hailstones, some the size of golfballs and all bladed. Discord snapped his fingers and they turned into water about half way to him. He then shot a blast of fire, a cone of it to rival a dragon's breath, that was countered with a solid wall of rain. On and on this went, five minutes of pure energy flying through the air. There was even a kitchen sink. Finally Discord seemed to get bored. He lifted his Lion's paw towards the heavens and extended his claws. The clouds vanished and everything went very still. Thor kept beating his wings, building the storm back up, and some, but Discord was unimpressed. Beyond where the clouds had been, you could see the night sky in startling detail, especially since everywhere else was still noon day. Discord made a gripping motion, seeming to wrap his claw around an invisible egg, and whipped it down towards Thor. The hole in the sky sparkled a bit as an object in it started to grow larger. Discord frowned at the Thunder Lord. "You should have just left." The Spirit of Chaos took a deep breath and shouted as the object started to get clearer, both in shape and trajectory. "OURABORUS! FALL AND DESTROY THIS BIRD!" The hole in the sky vanished, but the object did not. An asteroid, fully a mile in diameter at its point and close to three times that wide at its center, was falling at Thor. The whole of its ten mile length hit the great bird, seeming to render it infinitesimally small in comparison. Discord cupped his hands, as if to catch the collision, and the asteroid's destruction was limited to a few miles of the Everfree Forest rather then the entirety of Ponyville and the surrounding fifty miles as it would have been. Discord then snapped his fingers and set Ouraboras the asteroid back in the night sky. He then looked towards Celestia and Luna's battle and decided that they had it. He snapped his fingers again and was in the Canterlot throne room, sipping a large soda.

Celestia and Luna also led their adversary to an area where the destruction would be limited. They finally settled over Sweet Apple Acres and awaited their opponent. However it would be unnecessary as it had beat them to the spot.

"Did you really think you could out race me, foolish ponies?" the Thunder Lord said. "I am the messenger of my king, fastest of all creatures within the sky. I am Hermes, Thunder Lord of the Great Air Current, and I have been tasked with killing you." He punctuated his statement with a blast of wind so great, it was nearly a physical thing. The Princesses braced themselves mid air, and withstood it.

"So you will not leave peacefully?" Celestia called, the wind dying down to simple thunderstorm levels. She drew her morningstar. "You are sure you wish to engage us?" Hermes responded with rain, driven so hard by the wind that it had become a near solid wall of needles. The Sisters enacted a barrier, its strength the equal of what Cadence and Shining Armor had just created. The rain struck it and evaporated from the heat.

"So be it," Luna called. "THOU HAST CHOSEN THY DOOM!" Her Royal Cantorlot voice rang out, the power within it so great that any of her subjects that would have heard it would have died. Chains of night appeared, controlled by her magic and bound Hermes. She then dived at his falling form and slashed with her scythe. Hermes hit the ground, destroying the barn and got back on his talons, taking off in less then a second. Luna's slash had cut him from wing joint to wing joint, but it was shallow. He shrieked at her, and a tornado enveloped her. It finally released Luna, leaving the Princess of the Night battered, but still in the air. Celestia retaliated. The storm cover seemed to burst apart as a beam of concentrated sunlight blasted Hermes once more from the sky. This time, he struck the north fields, and kept going for about five hundred yards. When he stopped, Celestia's morningstar struck his chest like a comet. It flew back to her, carried by her magic. She and Luna began concentrating their magic into an orb at the end of their horns, Celestia's a white gold, Luna's a blue black. They touched horns, the orbs merging into a deep sunset purple. Hermes looked up and cried out once. Then, the sisters released their attack. The light of the noon day sun and the dark of midnight spiraled around each other, a massive helix, before converging on the Thunder Lord. The resultant shock wave destroyed everything within several miles, leaving only the inactive Zap Apple trees standing on all of Sweet Apple Acres. The sisters looked down and winced.

"Applejack is going to be royally perturbed," Celestia said to Luna.

Luna smiled a worried grin. "We're bucked, dear sister."

The two looked at each other, silently came to the agreement to blame the thunderbirds, and teleported to the throne room. Discord was waiting, watching Fatewing's battle on a television he had summoned. It had his whole attention.

Fatewing hovered in midair, feeling a little insulted. He knew who it was he was facing of course. The largest thunderbird was their king, a creature near as old as he, named King Aurelias. The next largest was his favored son, Cumolos, who ruled the great hurricane regions. The smallest was the newest of the Thunder Lords, a young bird named Cirrius. He hadn't established a region of his own yet. Fatewing smiled, a grim grin that seemed to convey the promise of a swift death to all that opposed him.

"I have been tasked with asking you to leave peacefully, King Aurelias," the black alicorn stated. "But you and I both know that you won't even consider it. HE sent you here to destroy the Bearers, didn't He?"

"Indeed, Fatewing, you are correct," the king of all thunderbirds replied. "But you missed one thing. I was also asked to destroy you as well." His last word was punctuated with a combined blast of lightning and thunder from the three Thunder Lords. "Turn to ash, you ancient relic."

"Very well," Fatewing stated, arcs of electricity flowing off and around the silver barrier he had enacted. "I'll make this quick." Fatewing started to concentrate. The three Thunder Lords struck at him time and again, each blast, each attack, foiled by a barrier or from a simple side step. The blade of Fatewing's sword started to glow, the blade turning from iron grey to silver, to gold, to black, and finally too a threaded mix of the three. He opened his eyes, and his armor shown forth. His blade turned pure white, and he swung, an incantation flowing form his lips, "Greatness is the judge of us all. You are sentenced to DEATH!" A present of pure power surged out of his sword, following the sweep of the sword. It seemed to expand maybe three feet from him, growing from a ten foot arc to a four mile one. The beam met the thunderbirds in mid flap, and kept on right through. The size increase had not lessened the power in the swing, and the blast kept going. The Thunder Lords and their King fell from the heavens, their corpses crushing most of Ponyville. The blast finally stopped about a mile from where Discord had fought his battle, and detonated. The blast was great enough, that the displaced air was felt where Fatewing was hovering, nearly forty miles away. He sheathed his blade, looked down on his enemies, and teleported back to Cantorlot Castle, almost unfazed from the amount of power he had just used.