• Published 6th Jun 2015
  • 1,119 Views, 12 Comments

Friendship Shorts! - Saro0fdemonz



Shorts from Discovering Friendship not Canon to the story

  • ...
3
 12
 1,119

Christmas!

Twilight sighed happily to herself, a mug of hot chocolate keeping her hands warm, that and the arm of her girlfriend Rainbow Dash.

"Do you think she'll like it Rainbow?" Twilight asked, a bit worried that their first holiday together would be a disaster.

"She'll love it Twi'. As soon as she wakes up. Which should be in 3...2....1..."

"Oh my gosh its Christmas!" a voice cried out excitedly upstairs, followed by a blur rushing downstairs and hopping up and down in front of the Christmas tree. There were more than a few reasons she was so excited. For starters, this would be her first real Christmas outside the orphanage. Sure, everything the kids had gotten her and everything she had gotten them had been treasures, but it was all stuff they had struggled to make and usually ended up being something made out of rocks. She'd never had a tree before, or wrapped gifts, or hot chocolate!

"Whoa, slow down squirt! You'll get to tear into those in a minute. But first," Rainbow held out a mug labeled Worlds Awesomest daughter. Twilight had argued that Awesomest wasn't a word, but Rainbow had gone with it anyway, feeling it best expressed how she felt about her adopted daughter Scootaloo. The young flier choked back a few tears, clutching the mug to her chest.

"Th-thanks Dash...I mean...Thanks mom...." she sat the mug down, hugging Rainbow tightly. Twilight smiled at the scene, gasping as the next hug was directed at her.

"I didn't forget about you Twilight. I owe you...for everything." Scootaloo smiled.

"I'm happy to help Scootaloo. But, I need your help too." Twilight giggled at the girls confused expression as she lifted a few gifts in her magic.

"I need your help opening these. They seem to have your name all over them." Twilight said innocently. Scootaloo stared with wide eyes as the gifts were placed around her.

"A-All of these are mine?" she felt a sob build in her throat as Rainbow and Twilight shared a nod. Scootaloo bit her lip as she reached for one and began pulling away the wrapping paper.

Hidden within was a new sweater, hand knit by Rarity and Sweetie Belle with a lightning bolt etched into it. At the bottom of the bolt was a spinning wheel with flames coming from the back. It was Scootaloo's very own symbol. Something she had wanted to slap onto her Scooter for years.

"Sweetie Belle worked really hard on that." Twilight spoke up.

"I love it..." Scootaloo sniffed, hugging it close.

"Hey, don't forget about the rest of your gifts Squirt!" Rainbow chuckled. Scootaloo slipped into her sweater, glancing around at her other gifts, unsure of which one to open next.

"How about this one? Its from me" Twilight held out a scooter shaped gift, double wrapped for some strange reason. Scootaloo managed to hide the grin that demanded to be shown as she grabbed the gift.

"Gee, I wonder what it could be." She said as she tore it open. She was mildly surprised however. It wasn't just any old scooter. It was an X-strike Mach 7. The most expensive Scooter on the market with a built in headlight, detachable and customizable parts and a matching helmet.

"Twilight...this is...its...how did you..." she stammered in shock.

"Well, there are a few perks to being Princess Celestia's student. I can do without a few fancy old books for another month." she smiled. Scootaloo didn't know what to say.

She had seen Twilight in tears one time when having to decide between two different books written by her ancestor and only being able to afford one. To give up her book fund for her...The dam finally broke, tears streaming down her cheeks.

"I-Is it not what you wanted? Oh Scootaloo, I'm sorry..." Twilight grunted as Scootaloo tackled her, burying her face in her stomach.

"Thanks mom..."


"Applejack, what're we doin' out in th' orchard? Its cold an my ears are burnin!" Applebloom whined.

"Now hold yer horses, this is somethin special. Somethin' every apple passes down to their children." Applejack offered a weak smile as she stood before one of their newer trees.

"What're ya doin' t' Rusty?" Applebloom wondered, seeing her mothers runes begin to glow.

"Shhh, this is important." Applejack whispered, holding out her hand. Applebloom paused for a moment before grabbing it, eyes wide as her own runes began to glow, whispers filling her thoughts.

"Can ya hear em?" Applejack asked quietly.

"The voices? Ya, ah can hear em...am ah goin crazy?"

"No silly, ya ain't goin crazy. This time of year is one of the few times they are at their loudest."

"Who?" Applebloom asked as she looked around.

"Th' trees, th' planet, th' Titans." Applejack closed her eyes for a moment, the voices growing louder. Applebloom could faintly make out their words.

Welcome my daughter, to our garden. Join us and be well. The rest was still too quiet for her to make out.

"What are they goin on 'bout? Ah thought ya'll were my momma."

"Ah am Applebloom. But we, th' Gaians, are children of Terra, the first Titan. She gave us our trees, our soil, our strength and our gentle nature. We Apples are direct descendants of Terra, its why our orchard grows th' way it does, why we were blessed with th' zap apples and a bountiful harvest each year. Because Terra watches over us." Applejack paused for a moment, placing a hand against Rusty.

"Applebloom...someday, ah'm gonna leave...an ah ain't gonna be able t' come back t' ya...Ya might feel alone, like th' whole world has given up on ya...but ah wanted ya t' know that ya ain't ever alone. Terra is always watchin and keepin ya safe and when ah'm gone...ah'll be right there with her, protectin' ya th' best ah can..." Applejack promised. Applebloom placed her hand against the tree, feeling a strange warmth fill her.

"But ah don't want ya t' leave...yer my momma and theres so much we haven't had a chance t' do..." She whined.

"Ah ain't leavin anytime soon Applebloom. But my life got a whole lot more complicated with those Elements and whatnot. Ah jus' wanted ya t' know ya won't be alone if somethin' happens." Applejack gave her hand a squeeze.

Applebloom smiled, returning the squeeze and watching as the snow melted from Rusty, the tree completely revitalized. Every drop of snow that touched it melted away.

"See that Applebloom? Thats proof of the strength inside ya."

"Ah did that?" she stared up at the tree, seeing Applejacks hand by her side. Only Appleblooms' remained on the tree, keeping away the cold. As she pulled her hand away the snow slowly reclaimed it.

"Wow...Can ah do it again?" she asked. Applejack chuckled.

"Lets wait til we gotta clean up th' snow. Wouldn't wanna wake em up again jus' t' show off. Our trees need their sleep just like we do. Now come on, Big Mac should have that cider ready by now."

"Okay...Oh um..."

"Yea Applebloom?" Applejack asked, blinking as Applebloom hugged her.

"Thanks...mom..."


"Rarity! Its cold out here! Where are we going?!" Sweetie Belle whined, dressed from head to toe, twice over, in winter gear. All of which was handmade by her sister, from the beanie and scarf all the way down to her socks and thermals.

"Oh? Did you not want to surprise your darling Scootaloo on one of the most romantic days of the year?" Rarity teased. Sweetie Belle was suddenly very thankful for the scarf that hid most of her face. Rarity hid her smile as they neared the Library.

"We all decided to host the holidays at the Library this year, on the condition that Pinkie gets to throw an afterparty at Sugarcube Corner." Rarity continued.

"Well, that explains all of the boxes behind you." Sweetie Belle mumbled, glancing at the boxes held in her sisters magic.

"A girl can't show up empty handed on Christmas."

"And Applejack is probably gonna be there." Sweetie Belle teased. Rarity blushed, glancing over at her sister and receiving a fanged smile. Sweetie Belle was just as vicious as she was...


Knock Knock Knock

"Hm, wonder who that could be." Rainbow smirked, pulling the door open. In rushed Sweetie Belle, shedding a few layers of jackets before tackling Scootaloo.

"Merry Christmas Scoots!" Sweetie Belle giggled, placing a kiss on her friends cheek. Scootaloo cleared her throat as a blush filled her cheeks.

"Merry Christmas Belle. Oh, thanks for the Sweater." Scootaloo sat up, her friend beside her and glancing at the mess of wrapping paper that filled the room.

"Wow, they really went all out huh?" Sweetie Belle realized.

"Yea, Twilight an Rainbow are pretty awesome. Oh hey, I got ya somethin too" Scootaloo grinned.

"Aww, you didn't have to get me anything Scoots."

"Yea, yea. Close your eyes an hold out your hands." Scootaloo ordered. Sweetie Belle shut her eyes tightly, blinking as she felt something press against her lips. She opened her eyes just as Scootaloo pulled away from the kiss, holding out a music note shaped necklace.

"Rainbow helped me pick it out. Your always goin' on about how you wanna look pretty so I figured this would make you happy."

"Oh Scoots...I love it!" She turned around, holding up her hair and letting Scootaloo slip the necklace around her neck, carefully clipping it at the back.

"Aren't they just darling?" Rarity whispered to Rainbow.

"Eh, they're kinda cute." Rainbow shrugged. Rarity rolled her eyes, setting her gifts around the tree. Next to enter the home was Applejack and Applebloom, with Big Macintosh in tow. The giant of a man held a large keg of cider over each shoulder, another strapped to his back.

"Alright! Now its a party!" Rainbow cheered.

"You can set those down in the kitchen Macintosh." Twilight smiled. Applebloom rushed to her friends with an excited smile.

"Ya'll are never gonna guess what Applejack taught me!" She beamed.

"Um...a new farming technique?" Sweetie Belle guessed, earning a flat look.

"How to use power tools without getting them stuck in your hair?" Scootaloo asked. It was a serious question.

"Uh...no, ah'm kinda banned from power tools fer a while. She taught me how t' talk t' trees. Ah can't really show ya until later, but its really amazin!" Applebloom looked between her friends, noticing the sweater and necklace.

"Oh wow, ya'll started openin' gifts already? We always wait til after christmas dinner." Applebloom mumbled.

"Don't sweat it AB, we wouldn't forget our best friend." Scootaloo winked, holding out a box. Applebloom hesitated before opening it, her eyes wide as she stared inside. Within the box, was Scootaloo's prized wrench. It had belonged to her dad and had been one of the few things she had managed to keep a hold of.

"Scootaloo, ah can't take this from ya..."

"I want you to have it AB. Your better with tools than I am and you'll get more use out of it than I will. Besides, it won't work on my new scooter, and...I know you'll take care of it..." Scootaloo smiled, accepting a hug from her friend.

"Merry Christmas everyone!" Pinkie cheered, throwing an arm around a very confused Fluttershy.

"H-How did I get here?" she stammered, a water pail held in her hand.

"Its not Christmas without all of your friends silly!" Pinkie giggled, racing Rainbow to the cider in the kitchen. Applejack grinned, arm glowing as she shoved Big Macintosh toward Fluttershy.

There was just enough strength behind her push to make him stumble forward, catching the Skyborns eye. Big Macintosh had to think quickly, knowing Applejack wouldn't get off his case if he simply walked away.

"Evenin Miss Shy. Merry Christmas." he rumbled.

"Merry Christmas Macintosh."

"Ah wanted t' thank ya fer helpin Winona. Fer th' life o' me ah couldn't figure out what was botherin her."

"Oh, its fine. It was just a tummy ache. I'm glad I was able to help." she smiled.

"Well, it meant th' world t' all o' us. Winona is family after all."

"I feel the same about Angel. Oh my goodness! I left him home alone!" She began to panic.

"Ah'll walk ya home." he offered, placing his jacket around her shoulders. Applejack grinned as she watched them leave, holding out her hand. Rarity rolled her eyes, placing a bag of bits in her friends hand.

"It won't last darling."

"T'weren't th' bet Rare-bear." Applejack teased. Twilight sighed softly, sitting on the couch and watching the festivities. Spike plopped down on the couch beside her, a few singe marks on his coat.

"Spike? I thought..."

"What? You thought I'd miss Christmas? The Beast-lands can wait a day without me Twi'. Besides...I miss it here..." he sighed. Twilight pulled him close, refusing to let go.

"I miss you Spike."

"I miss you too Twi'. Things are almost settled over there. Another month and I should be good to come home an stay." he returned the hug, Twilight grunting slightly.

"Wow, um, the muscles are new."

"Beast-lands are kinda tough on ya. Gotta adapt to get by." he offered as explanation as the two sat back down. Rainbow grinned as she walked into the main room, carrying two cups of cider.

"Well crud, looks like I need another cup. Unless this is just a drop an go kinda thing." Rainbow said, holding out the cups. Spike happily accepted one.

"How long ya stayin Spike?" Rainbow asked. He sighed, staring into his cup.

"A few hours. Spells gonna wear off by then and I'll wake up back in the Beast-Lands."

"Well we miss ya big guy. Scoots is gettin tired of washing the dishes. Speakin of which. Hey squirt!" Rainbow called, Scootaloo looked up from her new gamejoy, eyes wide as she spotted her adopted big brother.

"Spike!" she gasped.

"Hey Scootaloo. You still practicing those moves I showed ya?" he asked.

"Yea, they kinda came in handy the other day..." Scootaloo grinned. Spike flashed a worried glance to Twilight.

"A classmate tried to sic a bully on Scootaloo and she ended up teaching them a lesson." Twilight explained softly.

"Well, good to know you can handle yourself. Kinda reminds me, I got ya somethin." he reached into his shirt, pulling out a bead necklace with a few tiny skulls in it.

"This, is an authentic Beast Necklace. I crafted it myself from creatures amongst the land as proof to the Elder that I can survive among them. I want you to have it Scoots. So that you know that I'll come back." he grinned, holding it out to her. Scootaloo lowered her head, Spike slipping the necklace on for her.

"Whoa. I'm not allowed to wear this to School am I?" she deadpanned.

"Nah, no need to show off how awesome you are. Just let them think what they wanna and when they least expect it, bust out The Secret Move." Spike winked.

"We miss you Spike..." Scootaloo sighed as she hugged him.

"I miss you guys too. But I got a job to do, and so do you." he grinned, his sharp teeth showing a bit more than usual.

"Take care of yourself Spike and come back in one piece."

"I will, I promise. But right now, lets just be happy to be here."


The party eventually died down, Pinkie Pie heading to Sugarcube Corner to get the after party ready. Things were quiet and cozy in Twilights Library.

Rainbow kept Twilight close, an arm hooked around her shoulder while they watched Scootaloo cuddle up to Sweetie Belle in front of the fire. Applebloom was trying out a new bow, Applejack relaxing with Rarity in Twilights chair.

"Thanks fer makin' her somethin special Rarity." Applejack whispered.

"My pleasure Applejack" Rarity sighed happily, laying her head on Applejacks shoulder.

"Alright, time for kids to hit the sack. And by that I mean slumber party with Spike. We're headin' to Pinkies party, where I plan to get very very drunk with my girlfriend." Rainbow grinned, despite Twilight rolling her eyes.

"Are you sure about staying Spike?" Twilight asked.

"Yea. Besides, do you really wanna leave them here alone?" he pointed to the trio of friends.

"Alright, you heard the dragonman, lets get going!" Rainbow gently shoved Twilight towards the door. Spike dropped down onto the couch, the Crusaders gathering around him.

"Spike, tell us some stories about the Beast-lands!" they asked. He chuckled.

"The animals there are huge and..."


"ohhhh, you're so cute together!" Pinkie squealed, glancing between her friends.

"Pinks...are you...drunk?" Rainbow realized.

"What?! No! maybe..yes! i am!" she giggled, slumped over the counter. Rainbow sighed.

"Man, thats suppose to be me." she mumbled. Twilight smirked, looping her fingers between the Skyborns and whispering softly

"It can be you later tonight." she winked as she pulled away, leaving Rainbow to gape and let her imagination run wild. Had Twilight really just...She shook herself, letting her eyes wander the form of her Magian friend. It was gonna be a good Christmas.