• Published 2nd Apr 2015
  • 1,125 Views, 12 Comments

Her Magnum Opus - Miss Marionette



Loss. Everyone deals with it differently. Some go on, while others are crushed. Vinyl's life has been at a stand still ever since the death of Octavia. A month later, strange events begin occur, and make Vinyl think, did Octavia really kill herself?

  • ...
2
 12
 1,125

The Birthday After

I felt a twitch in my ears, picking up the faint music that was filling up the house. Cello music, Octavia. She always was an early riser, liked getting in those practices when I couldn’t interrupt her with the force of my own music. I never intended to interrupt her, but sometimes I would just get an idea for a beat in my head that I couldn’t find the time to give Octavia some warning. I hadn’t found the inspiration to interrupt her practices lately, but I am pretty sure she didn’t mind it too awfully much.

I spent a little bit more time in bed, just laying there, listening to the sound of her playing. I could almost let it lull me off to sleep, but I had slept in enough. Not only that, but her playing was suddenly interrupted by a shrill ringing sound. The phone. The cello music suddenly stopped, replaced by that inconsiderate shrill, urging me to get out of bed. I wanted to tell Tavi to go get it, but I was closer. I got out of bed, floating my glasses onto my face, and trotted out of the room.

The phone wasn’t too hard to find in the mess that was Tavi and me’s home. I expected to get a firm chewing out for it next time I saw her. I was just about to reach the phone, when it stopped ringing and the voicemail began to play. I just sat down and began to listen to Tavi and my own voice, speaking out. A small beat playing in the background, one of my own tunes.

“Hello, you’ve reached the Melody-”

“-And Scratch!”

“Vinyl! Ugh, residence. We are not able to get to the phone right now. So, please leave your name, number, and a message after the beep.”

“BEEP!”

“VINYL!”

That had been our tenth attempt at getting the voicemail right. After that, Octavia had given up. Said that we could try it again next time, and do it right. It’d been one of the first things we did after moving in together, in our house in Ponyville. I closed my eyes, thinking back on that conversation. We both wanted a break from the big city life, and agreed that Ponyville was in a central enough location that if we wanted to get to a gig or performance, we could just ride a train to the location. So, we moved to Ponyville.

“Tavi, are you heading into the shower?” I called, hearing the beep of the answering machine.

“Yes, Vinyl.” I heard her call back, that voice bringing a smile to my face.

“Want anything for breakfast?” I called again, hearing the shower door opening.

“You know what I like!” and after that, the shower water turned on, and I moved into the kitchen, to begin making the pair of us breakfast. Finally, the phone beeped, and began to accept the voice message.

“Uh, hey Vinyl!” I would know Lyra’s voice anywhere. “It’s me, Lyra.” Yep. Called it. “How you doing? Me and Bon Bon have been worrying about you! So, I know that you’re probably listening to me speak right now, or, at least hearing me. Just letting you know that you still have friends, Vinyl. We’re here if you need us. Now, listen, me and Bon Bon are going out to Sugar Cube Corner, and we’d love for you to come! I mean, I haven’t seen you since...Well, you know. It’s been a month, Vinyl. So, hopefully see you there! Bye!” Lyra said, before the phone finally hung up.

I just let out a heavy sigh, closing my eyes for a few moments. Lyra and Bon Bon...Two of Octavia and my closest friends. Not only that, but mutual friends, too. Octavia had her ensemble, I had Pinkie and Rarity, but Lyra and Bon Bon were just two friends that were able to fit with both of us. I shook my head, before focusing on breakfast. Just a stack of pancakes with some fruit to go with it, I had a rather wicked habit of burning much else that I couldn’t just pop into the microwave. Octavia was always the cook, but she was busy this morning. I ensured to brew a cup of tea for Octavia. She’d like that. I lifted the plate with my magic, before finally resting on my haunches in front of the table.

The shower stopped, and soon Octavia came down. I smiled at the sight of her, and she just smiled back, before sitting across from me at the table.I made sure to hover over her cup of tea, adding a sugar and some honey to it. Oh yeah, I knew how she liked her tea. “So, who was that?” Octavia asked, as I piled the fruit and poured the syrup onto my pancakes.

“Oh, just Bon Bon and Lyra. Wanted to know how I’m doing...Invited me to have lunch with them later on today. Sugar Cube Corner.” I said, finally beginning to cut into the beast that I called my breakfast.

“And you plan to attend, I hope.” Octavia said, as I finally got the first bite of pancake monster into my maw. It was edible, and with all the fruit and syrup, it was half decent too.

“I dunno.” I responded, bring the milk jug from out of the fridge and waterfalling it. I got a disapproving glance from Tavi, but I doubted that it was from my milk drinking habits.

“Yes, Vinyl, you are. You’ve been hold up in this blasted house for a month, you only leave to buy groceries and take out the garbage.” Octavia said, and I rolled my eyes, focusing on my breakfast.

“I don’t want to, and you can’t make me.” I responded.

“I’ll stop talking to you.” Octavia said, her voice level and serious. I glanced up at her once more, her face set, forelegs crossed over her chest.

“...You wouldn’t.” I said, and all I got was an upturned nose. I lasted all of five minutes, just enough time to finish my breakfast, before I just let out an annoyed grunt. “Fine! I’ll go, jeez…” I sighed, tossing my plate into the trash can. The look on Octavia’s face was of pure victory.

“See, Vinyl, was that so hard?” she asked, but I didn’t respond. She knew I hated the silent treatment.

I had some time to kill before lunch would roll around, so I just spent it doing this and that around the house. Cleaning a bit of the mess that was strewn about the house, to Octavia’s approval. Octavia practiced her cello, and tried to urge me to get at my turntables once again. No amount of silent treatment could fill me with sudden desire or inspiration to play those again, so the mare eventually decided to leave me be on that front. I was thankful. I eventually just settled into doing random, inane tasks, like checking my voice mail. Thirty unread messages. I’d listen to them later. I went out to get the mail, just bills and a few cards. Nothing for Tavi, as usual. Finally, the clock chimed, and I knew it was around lunch time.

I went through the ritual I usually went through when I was ready to get out of the house. First, I gave my mane and tail a single brush through, to ensure that it had no knots or anything. Still a mess by the end of it, but organized mess, as it were. Quick brush of the teeth, topped off with cleaning my glasses. With that done, I finally donned my signature shades, before stopping outside the door. Eventually, I just shrugged, and floated one of Tavi’s bow ties down, locking the collar around my neck and ensuring it was in it’s proper place.

“As cute as I think it looks, are you sure it’s...you?” Octavia asked, standing besides the door, looking me over.

“Hey, I’m going to this meeting thing at Sugar Cube Corner, aren’t I? I can wear your bow tie if I like.” I shot back. Octavia just sighed, shaking her head.

“Fine, fine...Now, at least try to enjoy yourself. Remember, I’ll be right besides you.” Octavia smiled, and I gave her a quick peck on the lips, smiling, before trotting out of the house for the first time since I last ran out of groceries.

The walk over to Sugar Cube Corner was mostly uneventful, just me and Octavia talking about this and that. Mundane stuff, really. We got a few strange glances. Well, more specifically, I got some strange glances. Probably because I was out of the house and wearing one of Octavia’s bows. I just ignored them, and Octavia didn’t mention them either. Soon enough, they were out of sight, and so, out of mind. Simple as that.

I finally arrived at the biggest bakery in Ponyville, but it seemed...off. Lyra and Bon Bon were no where to be found. On top of that, the inside was black as night. I eyed it suspiciously, something inside of me saying that I should just turn around and go home again.

“Vinyl. Please. For me.” Octavia said, standing by the door, giving me puppy dog eyes. I just sighed, before nodding. It was the least I could do, I supposed. I finally worked up the courage, and trotted forward, before pressing the doors open.

Inside was total blackness. I took a few steps forward, reaching out with my magic and flicking the light switch. I was suddenly assaulted by a loud, boisterous “SURPRISE!” and the sight of a ‘Happy Birthday Vinyl’ banner. Sugar Cube Corner was all decked out in decorations, a large cake set out to one side on a table, with a small stack of presents on another. Under the banner were plenty of me and even Tavi’s friends. Rarity, Pinkie, Lyra, Bon Bon, Rainbow Dash. Buck, there were even plenty of ponies I didn’t even know to well...I had a feeling they were here because it was a Pinkie Party.

“Oh, by Celestia Vinyl. I’d completely forgotten! I’m sorry. I’ll need to make it up to you back at the house.” Octavia said, standing besides me. I just blinked a few times. The truth of the matter was, I had completely forgotten that it was my birthday as well.

“No pressure.” I responded, just glancing to Octavia, before glancing back to the party. The color theme was white and blue, with a few traces of lavender here and there. Soon enough, a song started to play. One of my own beats, it seemed, and the ponies began to socialize.

Lyra and Bon Bon trotted up to me, Lyra beaming from ear to ear, while Bon Bon’s own smile was, well, quite contained...but still there.

“Vinyl! You have no idea how good it is to see you! I thought that Bons and I would need to come and drag you out to your own birthday party.” Lyra snickered, and I only responded with a small chuckle, shaking my head in return.

“Nope...Tavi insisted I come, so I did.” I responded, glancing between the pair. The mention of that seemed to make them frown, but I just shook that off for now.

“So, Vinyl, make any new music lately?” Bon Bon asked, tactfully changing the subject from Octavia. I just ignored it, before shaking my head.

“Nope, haven’t really felt any desire to. No motivation or inspiration, ya know?” I decided to leave out the part about Octavia practicing still. Didn’t feel like getting those weird looks so close together, after all. Lyra let out a disappointed sound, pouting now.

“Well, that’s a shame. I might play the lyre, but I do love your music. Buck, I know that Octavia complained, but she loved it too.” Lyra smiled. I just nodded my head.

A few minutes went by, just idle chit chatter, before Bon Bon finally tapped Lyra a few times on the shoulder. “Come on, Lyra. Can’t keep the birthday girl from the whole party.” Bon Bon said, before Lyra suddenly embraced me.

“Happy birthday, Vinyl. It’ll be okay.” Lyra smiled, before letting go and trotting off with Bon Bon. Of course it’d be okay. No reason that it wouldn’t.

The rest of the party really went on without much problem. Rarity complimented my bowtie. Pinkie said something on the lines between intelligible and just flat out Pinkie babble. The Apples had actually made some Cider just for the event, so I got to enjoy that rare treat as well. Throughout the party, everypony treated me well. Asked how I was doing. The works. It was kind of sweet, in it’s own way, but I learned quickly not to mention Octavia, even if she never left my side. A bit rude, but I guess everypony just wanted to talk to me and move on.

Finally, after we’d cut into the cake and I had a piece, I was approached by a pair of ponies that I didn’t expect. “Um, excuse me, Miss Scratch?” A stallion asked, and I turned to be greeted with not only Filthy Rich, but his daughter, Diamond Tiara as well.

“Ah, Rich. How can I help you?” I asked, sipping on some of the cider provided for the party. “
Well, I know that now isn’t the best of times, but it’s just so darn hard to get a hold of you…” The stallion said, and I just shrugged.

“It’s alright...What’s up?” I asked, glancing between the pair.

“Well, much like your own birthday party going on...My little filly, Diamond Tiara, has a birthday party of her own coming up. I was wondering if it’d be too much trouble to get you to perform? I can, naturally, pay well. She’s just a big fan is all.” Filthy Rich said, and I just sighed, giving my head a small shake.

“Sorry, Rich, but I don’t think I’ll be able to do it. I’m just not up to playing lately.” I said, and Filthy gave a nod of his head.

“I understand. Thank you for your time.” Then, his little filly opened her mouth.

“But DAAAADDY, I want to have DJ Pon-3 at my birthday party!” she pouted, and Filthy just shook his head. “Diamond, Miss Scratch very politely said no. Now, why don’t we get that other DJ, Neon Lights?”

“I don’t WANT Neon Lights! I want DJ Pon-3!”

“Honey, Miss Scratch isn’t up to playing. It’s best leave the mare alone.”

“Why can’t she play? Huh? Huh? Doesn’t she have a MUSIC cutie mark for a reason?!”

“Sugar lump, it’s just best we leave it. You know what happened a month back.”

“SO!? It’s not MY fault her marefriend killed herself!!”

The smack that resounded throughout the bakery seemed to put silence to everything else. Filthy Rich just looked at me, placing his hoof down on the ground.

“Beg your pardon, Miss Scratch...We’ll be going now.” Filthy Rich said, but I didn’t really hear him. I just turned to Octavia, who sighed and shook her head.

“Vinyl...you’re the one that keeps tricking yourself into thinking I’m still alive.” She frowned, walking forward and placing a hoof on my shoulder. Suddenly, it all came roaring back to me.

The First Snowfall Concert. A large event held in Manehatten, to celebrate the pegasi bringing in the first snow, and ushering in winter for that part of Equestria. Octavia had always loved the snow, especially the first snowfall...So, when they asked for the pair of us to put on a duet performance, we accepted in an instance. Octavia was ecstatic at the chance. Sure, it was no Grand Galloping Gala, but she was still excited. Her excitement was contagious, and I found myself looking more and more forward to it by the day.

It was an all expenses paid trip, with us getting to stay in a swanky, top floor penthouse. Room Service was free, and we made sure to enjoy it together. Not only that, but the city as a whole. We were on top of the world for that week, preparing to perform, and nothing was gonna bring us down. Even Bon Bon and Lyra came to visit. I got the funny, funny idea in my head that, well, maybe it was even time to pop the question? Make honest mares of the both of us…

That night, the night when the snow finally began to fall, it was right before the concert. I had decided that tonight was the night. I was gonna prepose. Bon Bon and Lyra knew, and had gone out to get some wine to celebrate. I bought her the prettiest ring I could find...Well, hooflet. Only I’d get to wear a ring, but that didn’t matter. I was walking on air, I felt like my heart was going to burst out of my chest.

I finally got to the hotel room, and the next moment is one that I have relived every single day, many times a day, wondering if I could of done anything different. I opened the door, and I saw her. My fiancee to be, Octavia Melody, just standing there, on the windowsill. She’s crying, heavily. A piece of paper is waiting on the coffee table, held down. I scream out to her, she turns and just looks at me. The next moment, she falls. I run to the window, intending to leap out after her. No such luck. Bon Bon and Lyra heard me scream. They rush in and grab me before I can jump out. Vision’s blurry, I’m crying. My head’s dangling out the window, and everything is just a haze.

I’m suddenly back in the present, and Lyra is shaking me. “Vinyl? Vinyl! Get up! Come on, Vinyl.” I hear Lyra’s voice urging me. I want to just stay where I am, lay there till I expire. Would that be so bad? I mean, it’s not like I have much left without Octavia to keep me in check.

“Now that’s not the Vinyl Scratch I love.” I hear her voice in my head, and I silently curse myself. There’s a reason I haven’t turned to a drunken fool. Why I don’t do drugs on a nightly basis. Why, late at night, when I stand in my bathroom, holding a straight razor...I can’t do it. I’ve tried.

It takes me a bit, before I finally open up my eyes. “There we go.” Octavia smiled, she’s the first thing I see, before she moves away. Lyra is standing over me, a look of concern eventually fading to a small smile.

“Ah, good. Thought we’d need to splash you with water or something. You just...passed out on us.” Lyra said, and I shakily got to my legs, stretching out now. I wish I could say this was the first time I did that. I’d be lying.

The party was mostly stopped, everypony looking at me with concern. I looked at them all, before my horn lit up. I put on a spare saddlebag, I silently put all the presents that I’d yet to open into the bag. Thankfully, magic made them all fit. “...Sorry, everypony. I think I’ll be heading home now. Great party.” Up till a certain brat had opened her mouth. No pony stopped me when I turned and opened the door, stepping out into the town.

I stopped right outside of the door, staring up. “...I didn’t know the pegasi would be making it snow today.” Octavia said, pulling a sudden scarf tighter around herself. I just stood there, watching the snow slowly begin to come down.

“...Why’d you leave me alone, Octavia?” I asked, feeling a wetness come to my eyes. She would of loved to see the first snow of Ponyville. We’d moved here in the spring, so she’d never gotten to see it before.

Octavia just looked at me, before sighing, shaking her head. “Even I don’t know why, Vinyl...maybe it’s time you read my suicide note? You’ve yet to let anypony even touch it since that day. It might tell you why I jumped.” Octavia said, touching me gently with her hoof. I sighed, closing my eyes. There was really nothing else left to do. My life was in a spiral of forgetting Octavia was dead, being reminded, and collapsing, before forgetting again. Not going anywhere in life. Just, stagnant.

“Fine…” I sighed, before I finally began to hurry home. Not that I wanted to. Laying down and letting the snow engulf me till I froze was an appealing option, but a stern look from Octavia drove me onwards. No, it was time to break this cycle of forgetting Octavia was dead, being reminded, and slipping back to these...thoughts in my head. It was never good.

I sat down in front of my coffee table, staring down at it. The piece of paper. The last written thing by Octavia. It was worn, having been folded, unfolded, over and over again. One edge of was burnt away, but it’d gotten to none of the writing. It still had tear stains, yet, over the month since that day...I, nor anypony else, had yet to read it. Today, with Octavia by my side, that was going to change. I took a deep breath, steeled my nerves, and began.

Dearest Vinyl.

I write this to you, with a heavy, heavy heart. You’re off on some adventure, buying us a few last minutes items before we go to the concert. This is a concert that I will never get to play at. My heart is heavy, and my grief great...and it only grows as I think of the world I am about to leave you in...But, it is a world I can no longer be apart of. Life is a journey, Vinyl. A cruel, wonderful, horrible, joyous journey, and the fact that I’ve been given the privilege to be a part of yours, I can imagine nothing that could of made my life happier...but, I can no longer be a part of it, or anypony’s journey, as I can no longer continue even my own. I can no longer continue my life. Do not blame yourself, Vinyl...because you are a shining beacon to all those around you. Your music is something that moves the hearts of everypony who listens, even my own. Do not mourn me, Vinyl...Please, move on. Find love again. Live your life. Keep on, knowing that wherever I go...I still love you...But, if you can’t move on, remember me fondly. Remember our life together. Visit our favorite places...Just, never give up. Know that, if things had been different, I wouldn’t of given up either. I love you, Vinyl Scratch...Forever and always.

Forever yours, loving always,

Octavia Melody.


I sat there and stared at the note for I don’t know how long. I just sat and stared, with Octavia looking over my shoulder at the note as well, a frown on her face. “Why...That, that doesn’t sound much like me at all...Or how I acted that week. I remember acting like I was the happiest mare alive...and if you would of popped the question…” Octavia said, and I just nodded, beginning to reread the note now.

“...Like Tartarus I can move on.” I scoffed, before standing up. “But, what did you mean, if things had been different…?” I asked, beginning to pace.

There was a sudden knock at the door. My ears twitched, and I turned towards the door. It’d been a soft knock, but I heard it. I walked over, and tugged it open with my magic. Fluttershy was standing there, a saddlebag strapped over her back.

“Oh, um, hello Vinyl. Happy birthday. I’m sorry I couldn’t attend, I had to take care of my animals.” Fluttershy said, and I just shook my head.

“No problem. You didn’t miss much….what’s up?” I asked, and Fluttershy seemed to think, almost having forgotten why she came, before suddenly nodding.

“I got you a present!” Fluttershy said, before turning and opening her saddlebag. I waited, and she soon pulled out what seemed to be a large fishbowl, capped as to not spill. Inside of it? Sand, a tiny cello...and a grey octopus. “I hope you like it. It’s one of the more unique animal friends I have...someone just dumped it on my doorstep a few days ago, and I didn’t know what to do with her, cause I checked and it’s a girl, but then I remembered you live alone, and could use an animal friend.” Fluttershy said, setting it down.

I stared at the little octopus for a few moments, before a smile creeped it’s way onto my face. An octopus...That had always been a bit of an inside joke between Octavia and I. I’d always wanted one, but for mostly forbade it. “Heh, thanks Fluttershy. I love it.” I said, before picking it up. The buttermilk mare just smiled at me, before trotting off. I stepped back into the house, and soon set the little octopus on the counter in it’s bowl.

“Oh, a pet! What are you going to name it?...it just had to be an Octopus.” Octavia sighed, staring at it.

“Octavipus.” I answered, moving back to stare at the note. Octavia just rolled her eyes, looking at the Octavipus for a few moments, before glancing at me.

“...I haven’t seen you that determined in quite sometime.” Octavia said, and I nodded, before refolding the note.

“You said in your note, how happy you were with me, and that if things had been different, you wouldn’t of killed yourself...Well, I’m gonna find what made things so different.” I said, Octavia just stared at me.

“And how ever do you plan to do that?” She asked, trotting over to look at me. I just turned, staring at Octavia for a few moments, before a smirk crossed my lips.

“Simple. I’m going to go back to the scene of the crime. Pack your bags, oh sweet hallucination of mine...we’re going back to Manehatten.”

Author's Note:

First chapter of this story. Hope everyone likes, cause this is just the start of the rabbit hole!

EDIT: It seems uploading GDoc cut out whole sections...Well, that's awkward.