• Published 28th Mar 2015
  • 5,236 Views, 124 Comments

Arrived at Dusk - aliengirlguy



In desperation a boy escaped everything, even himself, to a place that would give him a new name, a new life, and the magic of love and friendship.

  • ...
14
 124
 5,236

Building

Chapter 19: Building.

Birthday's seemed to be catching.

Twilight Sparkle celebrated her birthday in Canterlot and Dusk, through the social necessities of being her friend, was dragged along for the festivities, and was subsequently admittedly amused by the high class garden party that they had all crashed, even if he had been a little squirmy under their considering eyes (he was quite sure he recognized a few of the more zealous ponies from the crowd that had chased him at the Gala) and since there was no Soarin this time to fly him away, or at least alleviate the boredom, thus he spent most of the party hiding up a tree yet again.

It was the second birthday soon after though that lead to some really interesting shenanigans. This birthday happened to be that of the one lone dragon resident of Ponyville.

Dusk had thought long and hard about what to get Spike for his birthday, and after he finally came up with an idea, and after some circumspect research and observation, he made sure to notify Twilight that he would be out of town on the day of Spike's birthday so he could obtain the young dragon his present. He subsequently disappeared for a few days.

Granted, he was a bit delayed in his gift, but he thought that the dragon wouldn't mind, considering what he was planning to bring back.

When he returned though, he found a devastated Ponyville, large chunks of buildings missing, or completely crushed, as if something large had stepped on them. Gardens were mulched, streets were damaged, and there appeared to be a rather large collection of tents where injured and uninjured ponies were bustling about.

It must have been one hell of a birthday he had missed.

A rather bashful Spike told him later on, when Dusk gave him the large fist sized limestone he had meticulously searched for and dug up, munching on it happily, (limestone, according to his research was like the best tasting candy in the world to dragons, and was also annoyingly hard to come by in these parts). He had apparently gone through some rather interesting changes that made puberty seem like a cake walk for everyone else.

During the visit he had noticed the large dragon sized hole in the library wall and made the offer to fix up the damage, much to the dragon and purple unicorn's gratitude.

It was a relatively small thing really, after applying his construction spell to the entirety of a building, something like a damaged wall was not sweat for the young stallion.

By the next day, it was good as new, though the new study nook and bookshelves attached to the repaired wall were an unexpected addition, but Twilight loved the spot and started making it habit to do some of her work there.

It was while Pinky Pie was visiting that she noticed the new edition and asked her friend about it.

Twilight of course gushed about the amazing spell work that Dusk had done, even mentioning that he himself had rebuilt The Tea Cozy.

Pinky Pie was impressed, and that conversation gave her a rather obvious idea.

Ooo ooo ooo

Dusk was somewhat delayed in writing his usual pile of letters to friends and family as he had joined many of the volunteer groups in helping to clean up the town after Spike's little gimme-gimme hormone induced rampage.

He'd help clean up messes, set up tents for ponies that lost some of their homes, and generally was busy making himself useful.

Now that he had some time off for the moment, he had finally decided to catch up on his letters.

The last letter was about to be written was the one to Soarin, which was unfortunately interrupted when there was a knock on the door.

There, standing with big puppy eyes and a balloon for some reason, was Pinky Pie with an equally puppy-eyed Mr. and Mrs. Cake.

After inviting them in for tea, they explained that with all the damage being seen to by construction crews, their shop had yet to be taken care of, and with Mrs. Cake heavily pregnant and due in a few weeks, the two were wondering if Dusk would be willing to cast his construction spell on Sugar Cube Corner.

Dusk, being the friendly sort, and obviously wasn't going to turn down a heavily pregnant mare to boot, agreed.

When the spell was cast, Dusk offered to put the group up for the 24 hours it would take to complete. In the meanwhile he was kept busy with the magazines they had brought preemptively, featuring glossy images of every confectionery under the sun, kitchen interiors and basically anything to help guide the spell that would be reading his intentions throughout the process.

He didn't really have much else to do beyond his letter, but the spell was unusual in that it affected a pony's ability to write, and in some cases even read, thus he was reduced in doing not only complicated magic until the spell was over, but was unable to write his letter so he tried to enjoy the visit and kept Pinky Pie away from his more sensitive ingredients…well, pretty much all his equipment really, but her services as a waitress and hostess were quite good, and the Cakes (which he trusted in his kitchen more) made some delicious pastries to sell in his shop which were a big hit as well, so things all in all turned out well.

By the time that the spell was done, the building was nearly exactly what it had once been (Dusk had also been treated to a photo album of the Cake's time in the store which helped the spell) the only difference was in the coloring here and there and an extra floor with a few rooms. It looked quite splendid really, and the Cakes were particularly enamored of the state of the art enlarged kitchen and the space for the nursery.

Relieved that things were satisfactory, he headed home after their profuse thanks and offers of free cupcakes forever.

He was a bit tired though, and was a bit behind in Granny Smith's special arthritis brew, so he ended up not having enough time to finish his letter to Soarin after all before he collapsed into bed.

Ooo ooo ooo

The next morning, when Dusk was yawningly waving Opal goodbye and fetching his paper, he saw a pony approaching his front stoop.

"Oh Dusk Darling! I'm so glad I caught you!" Rarity chimed in as she changed her path to stand before him.

Dusk invited her inside and offered her some tea, and the two drank and talked about the reason for her early morning visit.

"I happened to stop by Sugar Cube Corner and couldn't help admiring the magnificent job that was done and I was quite impressed! Then Mrs. Cake told me that you did it with a spell all by yourself!"

"Well…" Dusk blushed and rubbed the back of his head, a little embarrassed by the praise, "it's just a construction spell…"

"Oh but darling, it's absolutely divine! That's why I had to come to you. The Bronco Siblings are doing what they can to help me patch up the Carousel Boutique, but everyone is dealing with damages and helping out homeless ponies and the darlings, bless them, are not exactly hoofy with a hammer… and rather easily distracted," she fluffed her mane, "would you be a dear and maybe cast your spell on my shop?"

Rarity was a friend, and when he found out that her parent's house had been damaged as well, and the two were on vacation and thus Sweetiebell was also out of a home, though the two of them were staying with Twilight along with a few other ponies whose homes were damaged, so she at least wasn't in any tent somewhere. But because her home was technically a business and not a signed up as a residential (the construction ponies re-building homes were seeing to purely homes or things like the school and the retirement home) Her home was not likely to be rebuilt for quite a bit.

Dusk agreed, and even offered to put the two up for the time, to relieve Twilight of some of the crowd and to have Rarity on hand during the spell-time so that he could have as much input as possible.

Rarity, being the sound business pony that she was, used the following time not only plying Dusk with the necessary magazines and before-dragon-devastation pictures of the shop, but she moved some of her finished products that had survived the disaster into a side room that Dusk didn't really use nearby the main seating areas and offered her ensemble on display at discount prices…well, his clients were rather tickled by the whole thing, and both racked in a good deal of gold bits during the time the spell was in play.

When he was done, he was more than a bit tired and practically dragged himself home after the final inspection, too tired to even accept Rarity's offer of a nightcap. He didn't even have enough active brain cells to think about his letter to Soarin.

Ooo ooo ooo

Dusk didn't even bother putting his mane and tail in their usual braids the next morning.

There were two more ponies waiting for him with his paper that morning, Cherry Drop and Glad Giggles.

He sighed, too tired to have the sense to refuse.

Ooo ooo ooo

48 hours later…

Harry staggered away from Glad Giggles, a little sore from the large pony's enthusiastic hoof shake.

He had the odd sensation as if gravity were suddenly more aware of him then was comfortable, and he knew that if his wings weren't already secured, they would be dragging along the dirt below.

He didn't even get a chance to unlock his door before Mayor Mare found him.

"Oh Dusk! Glad that I was able to catch you!" the mare came up to him, "I was just wondering…great Celestia! You look horrible! Are you alright?"

Dusk huffed a breath and straightened his spin and tried to seem less bedraggled then he looked.

"Of course Mayor, what can I do for you?"

Mayor was not exactly sure she should be asking him now. The stallion had large bruises under his eyes, with baggage, his mane and tail was undone and frazzled in tangles and both hair and pelt were dull with exhaustion. His normally vibrant green eyes were almost greyish.

"…Perhaps I should come back another time," she said hesitantly.

"Nonsense," Dusk waved off her concern and invited her inside, where they took a seat. Dusk was so tired he didn't even realize he had not offered her any tea as he usually would, "what can I do for you?"

The mare frowned but gamely explained why she was here.

"I have noticed lately the work you have been doing with the construction spell of yours. From what my aides tell me, it is unusual for one unicorn to manage such a spell, but after seeing the results, and with construction ponies still occupied and you being finished with your other construction projects; I was wondering if you might be willing to help me with something?"

"What sort of something?" Dusk asked, though he had inkling as to what it might be.

"Yes, well, for some time I have been looking for ways to make Ponyville more appealing to tourists outside of the odd festival and visit by the Princess. While those things are good, one of my aides mentioned that Ponyville often has to send their athletes out of town for competitions and such. So I thought a stadium would be an excellent way to promote more of a unique identity in Ponyville. The project would also be an excellent way to reassure my constituents and tourists alike that we have a stable enough economy, especially since the recent…er, mishaps we have upon occasion, to host our own teams in our own backyard."

"So it's for both the town's morale and our future?" Dusk summed up, humming thoughtfully. He had to admit, it was a solid idea, and if something new came out of the devastation, that can only be a good thing. He nodded to himself and sucked up every bit of energy he had and meeting the mayor's eyes he said:

"I would love to help, just tell me what to do."

Ooo ooo ooo

Voldemort was not pleased.

Precious was pushing himself, but the boy's sure determination and mule headed stubbornness to help had, surprisingly, unconsciously erected a barrier between Voldemort and their shared body while awake, and when asleep and the boy was more vulnerable, their body was so exhausted that Voldemort could do nothing regardless of his control or not.

He had not been this frustrated since he was human.

He growled in his little mental corner impotently.

Ooo ooo ooo

Big Macintosh was worried, very worried.

He had been busy helping with post-rampage clean up, and harvesting an unexpectedly more fruitful bumper crop in the west field then they had calculated, and thus had not been able to go to Dusk in the ensuing week since his return.

He was grateful when Carmel Apple arrived with his family to help out, finally freeing him to go into town and see his best friend.

He found Dusk sooner then he thought, and what he found was what worried him. The pony was standing on the outskirts of town between Tea Cozy and Ponyville and was talking with Mayor Mare, both of them huddled over what appeared to be blue prints. By his side, lay a small mountain of what like sports magazines.

What worried him was Dusk's look.

He looked like a stiff breeze would topple him over any minute, his hooves were trembling slightly, and his mane and tail looked like a manticore's chew toy, a red flag more then anything that something was wrong, since Dusk was always so well groomed out of practicality.

The mayor, to her credit, did say "are you sure you're up for this? We could wait a few days maybe…"

"No, it's best to get this done now. Think how happy everyone will be? Ponies that are still homeless can even stay there," Dusk cut in.

"But, forgive me if it seems indelicate, you look very unwell, should you be doing something so complex…"

"I'll be fine. We need this more than some bit of discomfort on my part. It will be fine."

Mac had heard enough.

"It will not be fine!" Mac declared, marching up to Dusk, jabbing his snout forward and unceremoniously pushing the mare aside with his rump.

"Mac!" Dusk exclaimed, "That was rude! And I'm fine! This is too important to…"

"No," the stallion cut him off smartly, "yer health is more important then some buildin' or other," Macintosh had been told by Applebloom about the various construction spells that Dusk had been doing.

"I'm fine!"

There was a heated silence, then Mac leaned forward until there muzzles were practically touching and with narrowed eyes and a startling growl, "n-ope."

Suddenly, Dusk swept off his hooves by the red stallion before he could do or say anything and found himself on the ground on his back starring up at the stallion's heaving chest, a hoof on either side of his head and his lower half summerly pinned as Big Macintosh sat on him.

"Mac!" Dusk screeched, "get off!"

"N-ope," the stallion said again with satisfaction, then turned to the rather flabbergasted and madly blushing mayor, "N-ope!" with decided firmness. The mayor nodded, getting the message, and cleared her throat, "Very well, perhaps in a few days I will visit you again Dusk when you've...been cleared by your friend," she hastily exited, leaving Dusk, Mac, and a bunch of magazines alone in the middle of the field.

"Mac!" Dusk growled, still struggling, "why did you send her away? I'm perfectly capable…"

Mac just shook his head and stubbornly remained. Dusk struggled for a bit longer, cursing quite profusely, before his exhaustion soon had him stopping altogether, and he lay gasping, unable to move even if he wanted to.

"See, yer definitely to tired," Mac pointed out, leaning forward and nuzzling Dusk's muzzle in silent apology, then said exasperatedly, "you got to stop bein' so selfless all the time. It's not healthy."

"But…but I…" his voice trailed off, Dusk closed his eyes and sighed in defeat.

Mac shifted their positions until he had Dusk curled close to his side. With an insight that he didn't display to often, he said softly "you don't have to be so self-sacrificing all the time, " he nuzzled an ear, "we all care for you regardless."

There was a relaxed silence for a time and Mac thought that Dusk might have finally fallen asleep, but then the smaller silvered stallion mumbled.

"I'm sorry…and thanks"

Mac nuzzled Dusk's mane, nothing more needing to be said.

Ooo ooo ooo

'Well," Voldemort mused from his mental corner as he felt their body being tucked into Dusk's bed by the red stallion who had carried their body back home after a time then eventually left, 'the big galoot might actually be more useful than I thought. Hmmm…that means I have to tolerate his attentions more than I had been prepared to. Drat.'

Ooo ooo ooo

Dusk ended up sleeping deeply for nearly 48 hours straight.

By the time he had prepared for the day, he felt much better, and distinctly embarrassed by his behavior and that Mac actually had to sit on him. Now that he was on the hindsight end of a few days of rest, he realized just how he needed it.

Mac was right; he had been pushing himself to much.

Still, he was feeling a lot better; perhaps he should visit the field and see if the supplies for the spell were still there. He hoped that no rain had been scheduled while he had been asleep. All those magazines were most likely still in the field where they had left them…

He trotted outside, his mane and tail groomed and retrained in their usual loose braids, his shawl shiny and clean, a good breakfast in his belly, and a saddle bag bumping merrily on his withers.

He was therefore somewhat shocked when he came across a gathering of what must be every unicorn in town in front of the largest construction bubble he had ever seen, though this one was various different colors, giving it an amazing air of beauty. The unicorns were gossiping and laughing while they looked through magazines and various pictures. Earth ponies and a few pegusi not on weather duty were weaving through the throng serving food and drink or new pictures to look at.

Harry made his way over to Twilight and Rarity who were curled up together on what looked like one of Rarity's fainting couches, giggling over a rather worn centerfold that came with their material, the tips of their horns glowing.

"Oh he may have won the 200 metre dash darling, but look at those mutton chops! It's so last season! In my opinion…oh Dusk! Dah-ling!" she called noticing Dusk staring gaped mouthed at the bubble.

She gave a (elegant) grunt as she waved her hoof to gesture him over. The two mares shifted until there was a space beside them, forcing the two females cuddle a bit more together.

Dusk took a seat. There was silence for a moment, then Dusk asked "is…is every unicorn in town here?"

"Indeed!" Rarity replied, "It was ever so thrilling to be asked to help with the stadium! I can assure you that my contribution will make sure that everything will be as fashionable as possible!"

Twilight rolled her eyes and explained "Big Macintosh came to every unicorn in town and asked for our help in building the stadium. He explained how important it was to you and how you were sick…though from what I learned from others in town, I can figure what happened," she threw him a stern look, "magical exhaustion is a serious thing you know, even with somepony with your reserves of magic."

Dusk nodded and said dryly, "Mac made his point already in that quarter."

"Good," she nodded firmly but then softened her tone, "As soon as everyone learned it was something that you were trying to do for Ponyville and that it was important to you, we were all willing to help, though it took me a day or so to teach everyone the spell. Thankfully it wasn't too hard with so many volunteers, though Rarity had to send Sweetiebell back twice," She chuckled, "to young for the spell, but still wanting to help."

Dusk was a bit overcome with that. It wasn't done because the town needed it in and of itself; they had done it because Mac had told them it was important to him. They had done it for him more than themselves.

The mares were kind enough to not bring notice to the few tears that fell from his eyes, and soon talk veered away to more mundane things.

Ooo ooo ooo

Dear Soarin,

Sorry for the long delay in this letter. You would not believe the past week and a half!

I went out to harvest a present for a friend of mine, and when I came back, our town had just had a dragon rampaging through it! Though I suppose you already know, Rainbow Dash said that she spotted you and two others from your unit trying to deal with the dragon. Though you weren't able to do much, though I don't blame you or your teammates any, a full grown dragon on a rampage would give Celestia pause! I hope someone still thanked you for facing up against a dragon of all things!

So if they haven't, thank you.

I learned a lesson this past week when helping others during the big clean up. I learned that while it's good to help, sacrificing so much of one's self is not healthy. It's alright to care about others, but sometimes one can end up worrying those your trying to help when you push it to far. This realization was rather dropped on me, literally. True friends are willing to help you out even when you've been an idiot at times and worry others sick and life is both give and take.

I hope things are going well,

Your friend,

Dusk.