• Published 11th May 2012
  • 2,084 Views, 37 Comments

A Sparkle of Love - angryfrenchfry



Trixie finds it hard to realize she has been in love for a while. Can Luna help?

  • ...
9
 37
 2,084

Under the Wing of the Moon

Over an hour had passed since Trixie had lay down in front of the nice red apple. She had been thinking a lot of things over in that hour. About ways to somehow help herself be a better pony and ways to apologize the the six ponies she had made a fool of. Her eyes were closed but she was not asleep. Trixie had always thought that eyes had something to do with the way all ponies think. When they are closed, you can fully focus on a topic much easier then if they were open. Not that it really mattered, seeing as she was in the middle of the Everfree Forest, where everything was pitch black. Nevertheless, she continued to sit calmly with her eyes shut.

The forest was much quieter then normal. There was still a light rain coming down above but other then the sound of raindrops falling onto the dark green leaves, it was quiet. Along with the rain, a small amount of wind was gusting around throughout the forest canvas and bushes. The cape on the azure unicorn was moving slightly and Trixie's tail danced along with the wind. It wasn't very normal for the forest to seem this...peaceful.

Trixie had finally opened her eyes and took a look around her. It was still very dark but she could make out an outline of a cave not to far in front of her. She let out a sigh of relief and got up from the ground. The bright red apple was still ahead of her so she went down to pick it up in her mouth before she made her way toward the, even darker, cave. There were twigs all over the forest floor and Trixie was careful not to step on any as to not make so much noise in case of some sort of danger. The closer she got toward the cave, the more the butterflies started to form in her gut. Was this really a good idea? It's not like she had much of a choice. The rain was starting to get heavier and the wind a bit stronger. If the cave was uninhabited then she could get away from the, what she guessed, big coming storm. On the other hoof, there could be something dangerous in the cave. After all, this was the Everfree Forest.

Well, it was now or never. Trixie gulped and trotted slowly into the darkness of the cave. The air was damp and the walls had streams of water coming out of them. It was a typical cave that was about 5 meters wide and 6 high. It was a huge cave compared to a pony or even a pony's home. Trixie slowly made her way down the dark tunnel, not knowing what sort of monster could be living in here. This could even be the home of the Ursa! She tried not to think of that but it was still in the back of her mind. As she made her way even further into the wet cave, she thought that she saw a light in the distance. Wide eyed, she stopped and squinted her eyes to see if she could tell if it was just her imagination or there was actually a light there. Trotting a bit faster towards it, it turned out to simply be nothing. She sighed. It must have been a while since she had a good nights sleep. Her eyes were playing tricks on her and she didn't like it.

Turning to her left with the apple still in her mouth, she was shocked at what she saw in front of her on the cave floor. A big pool of fresh, clear water. It had been maybe two days since she had fresh water. It had been a terrible week. She put the apple down on the ground and ran at the water pool. It was sparkling and a truly beautiful sight. Sparkles...sparkles...

Sparkles? Why do I like sparkles so much? It's so beautiful! Trixie thought to herself as she got closer. Not giving it a second thought, she dived into the water with her cape still on. When her body hit the cool, clear liquid it was a burst of pleasure that made her feel so alive. It was as if she was reborn almost. She came back up to the surface of the water and took a huge sip of it and gulped it down fast. The taste was so refreshing and genuine. The water on her man felt like magic. Her hair went flat and ran down her back. Her tail was in the water dancing around. This was the best feeling that Trixie had felt in a long, long time.

After many minutes of relaxing in the water, she decided that she still needed to find out if this place was safe or not. It was quiet in the cave for the most part. The wind from outside blew through the cave and made a small whistle that caught Trixie's attention. She brushed it off and continued to get out of the small pool. When she got out she shook off all the water that she could and used her magic to dry out her hair and tail. She smiled softly when using her magic. It made her feel better that she was able to at least remember that spell. When she was nice and dry, the unicorn went to dry out her cape. If she was going to sleep in this cave, she needed to stay warm and a wet cape wouldn't do.

Finally, she through the cape onto her back and used her magic to tie it around her neck so it wouldn't fall off. As she finished up, Trixie noticed something that something was off. She looked around and felt a cold breeze on her spine. Looking to her left, and then her right, she finally noticed what was off. The apple. The only thing left, was the core. Trixie went wide eyed and gasped at the sight. That mean that someone ate it, and that she wasn't alone.

She had never been more scared in her entire life. Not knowing where to go or what to do, Trixie just stood there frozen in fear. There was nothing she could think off except what in Equestria could of ate the apple. She didn't hear anything around her except the win. Not seeing any shadows move in the darkness, she had to get out of there.

Not even thinking, she started to slowly move toward the way she came in. Looking all around herself to make sure that nothing would sneak up one her. Trixie began to pick up her pace and eventually was in a jogging state. Nothing made any sounds besides her hoof steps on the rock floor. Just then, she heard a crack come from behind her. Trixie let out a small yelp but quickly covered her mouth with both hooves. Not knowing if she should turn around or not, she sat there, unable to move out of fear. More cracks were heard and the caped unicorn went around her better judgement and turned around slowly. Not seeing anything at first, she relaxed a small bit and fully turned her body toward where the noises had come from.

Just as Trixie was about to turn back to the entrance, she noticed something at the corner of her eye. A shadow leaped across from one big boulder to another. In the small time that Trixie had, she made out what looked to be like some sort of giant cat-like creature. From behind the rock, a soft growl came. Trixie didn't know what to do. She did all she could do.

“C-come out! Or I'll use m-my magic!” She shouted into the darkness, “I'm w-warning y-you!”

More growling came from the shadows and Trixie saw two blood red eyes open in front of her. Nothing in her magic training had prepared her for this. She was a performer, not a fighter! The beast in the dark approached the scared Trixie. It was breathing heavily and growling loud. A Manticore. It's claws were sharp and long. Trixie saw it's teeth which were the biggest and sharpest teeth she had ever seen. The smell of the beast was a mix of meat and dirt. Trixie screamed at the top of her lungs. The fierce Manticore roared and swiped a paw at the defenceless unicorn. Trixie was able to get away just in time. She turned around a ran as fast as she could towards the exit of the cave. She saw that it was a thunderstorm outside but did not care. The Manticore was right behind her trying to catch up, taking a swipe or two at the same time. Trixie was able to outmanoeuvre it and turned around as her horn lit up. From the horn came tons of brightly coloured fireworks that flew into the eyes of the beast, as soon she she did, she continued running. It was stunned for a few seconds but quickly regained its footing and gave chase to the running pony. Trixie was scared for her life and just wanted the thing to stop chasing her!

The two were now outside in the forest and the Manticore did not give up on his prey. Trixie was swerving in and out of the trees trying to find her way out of the forest. She was running out of energy and the Manticore was gaining quickly. Out of breath, Trixie had to slow down for a bit. She looked down at the ground as she was running which was a bad idea because she ran right into a mountain in the forest. Trixie got up as fast as she could but was already cornered by the beast. She panicked and simply screamed at the top of her lungs for help. The Manticore came up closer and raised its paw to revile its set of sharp claws. Trixie screamed one last time before a sudden burst of bright light appeared everywhere. She had to cover her eyes but could still see that the Manticore was being dazed by it.

A minute passed before the Manticore finally retreated back into the Everfree Forest and towards its cave. The light dimmed down and Trixie saw who had made it. A dark blue-purple alicorn with flowing dark blue hair flew down towards the frightened magician. Princess Luna. Trixie had never thought that in a million years, she would meet a princess, let alone be saved by one. It was truly a sight to see. The princess made her way down to Trixie and finally reached the ground.

“Are you alright, child?” Luna spoke softly looking over her shoulder to make sure nothing was there.

“U-um, y-yes princess. I...I...thank you.” Trixie was shivering, as it was still raining heavily.

“What are you doing out here in the middle of a thunderstorm in the night?” Luna walked closer to Trixie and put a wing above her so she wouldn't get wet.

“I..well, princess, it's a long story that Trixie doesn't want to talk about, Trixie is sorry.” She spoke.

“You're Trixie? The travelling magician?” Luna looked excited.

Trixie gave her an odd look. Why would the princess of the night be excited to see her? It was weird but Trixie didn't really mind, she did just save her life.

“Yes..well, no. Trix-...I was.” Trixie lowered her head.

“Yes, I heard about that from my sister's student.” Luna sat down beside the unicorn.

“Well, are you here to make fun of me? Or laugh at me?” Trixie was starting to cry.

“Of course not, dear,” Luna said, “I understand. I've been watching you. I am glad that you want to apologize to Twilight Sparkle. You have changed, young one.”

“I need to apologize to Twilight. She is all that matters right now. I need her..” Trixie covered her mouth with hooves and blushed.

Luna noticed this and giggled to herself a bit. She knew what was going on but wouldn't confront Trixie about it now, not in this place or state.

Trixie looked up at Luna. She wasn't mad or sad...Luna was caring and loving toward Trixie. Why? She didn't really understand, though, she was happy that the princess saw a change of heart that Trixie had made. It was relaxing. Luna spoke up again.

“You cannot stay out here, Trixie. I can escort you to the inn, if you wish.”

“The Ponyville inn? No, I can't. I'm not wanted there princess.” Trixie said softly.

The princess of the night thought for a moment. This unicorn has lost a lot in her life and is trying to make up for it as best she can. She wants to apologize to Twilight and her friends, but mainly Twilight. Trixie is looking for friends. She wants to be a better pony. The more that Luna thought about this, the more it reminded her of how she was once Nightmare Moon. So selfish and mean. All Luna ever wanted was for people to love her night. It was very understandable. Luna suddenly had another thought. She overcame her darker ways and is not ruling Equestria with her sister. Who says that Trixie can't become friends with the residents in Ponyville? With Twilight. Luna remembered what Trixie had said about. That she needed Twilight. Love is love. It is a beautiful thing. Luna realized that she actually wanted to help Trixie become a new pony. A better pony. What other way to help then to teach? Luna smiled and looked down at Trixie.

“Come with me Trixie, please? I think I can help you.” Luna stood up.

“What do you mean princess? Where are we going? I don't understand.” Trixie stood up beside Luna.

“Trixie, when I was Nightmare Moon, all I wanted to do was take everything for myself. I was selfish. When I look back on it, I am glad that I changed back and realized what the world had to really offer. I want to help you. I think I can teach you how to deal with everything and how to become a better pony. I can make it so you have friends and people who care and love you. Do you want that?” Luna asked.

“M-more...” Trixie looked up with tears in her eyes, “More then anything Princess Luna. I want to have friends. I want to have my family. I want to be better then I was.”

Luna nodded and her horn started to glow. Within a split second, the two ponies were gone from the darkness of the Everfree Forest. Luna knew that Trixie liked Twilight. It was very obvious because of the way she reacted. Luna loved the feeling of helping two ponies come together in love. It was a feeling that she hadn't felt in a while. She wanted the best for Trixie...for her new student under her wing.