• Published 23rd Mar 2015
  • 4,617 Views, 236 Comments

Book, Blade, and A Whole Lot of Magic - Frustaz



"Revolution lead to imprisonment, but was it worth it, Celestia?" The Magus calls out, accusing her gaoler. A story of a lost human and her time in Equestria.

  • ...
40
 236
 4,617

4.5 - A Late Night Discussion

Twilight waited outside of the throne room. She knew Celestia better than most, and knew this emotional state was not normal for her. She needed to talk to someone. The heavy side doors closed, giving Twilight her cue to intercept Celestia.

She teleported around the corner, in front of the distraught princess. “Celestia… Can we talk a bit more? I have questions, and I’m not sure if I can sleep without answers.”

Celestia’s gaze looked over the growing princess, before sighing. “Very well, Twilight. At least let us return to our chambers first.” A quiet nod from the violet alicorn would be the only marking of her agreement, as the two fell into step alongside the other.

It wasn’t long before the door to Celestia’s room was closed, an enchantment then cast upon it for secrecy. “So, you had questions?” Celestia asked, removing her regalia.

“The first one I want to ask is probably the most.. Erm.. problematic.” Twilight kicked the floor lightly, looking away. Celestia rolled her eyes. “It’s been three hundred years, I’m sure it’s not–”

“Celesita, why did you hold back? In fact, why have you been holding back?”

Celestia’s eyes widened, meeting the concerned yet determined look of her student. “I have–”

“Celestia, I believe that you were caught off guard in most situations, like Chrysalis or Nightmare Moon, but..” Twilight followed Celestia into her bed, nestling in like she was a young student once more. “When you and Luna risked everything on me against Tirek, I felt the power you both held. I could feel the Domains to such a degree that I’d never imagined. How do you two have so much power, and yet– How do you even get hurt? How did any of our villains even hurt you?”

The solar diarch sighed, and settled in next to Twilight, draping a white, scarred wing over her. “Ever since my encounter with Illua, I have not been able to properly shield myself from physical harm. While I can regenerate from most of it with relative ease, and a few disguising spells to mask my scars, I can continue to keep up the appearance of the goddess that so many ponies have faith in.” Twilight’s pout punctuated her thoughts openly. “Not the answer you wanted, I know.”

Celestia rested her head atop her pillows, before continuing, “Since you felt them, you know that I hold Balance, Nature, and Energy, much like how you girls hold the Elements of Harmony. But ultimately, you know that the Elements of Harmony do not fit into the current understanding of Magic, and act as entirely separate entities…”

“You’re trying to tangent away from the topic again, just like you used to when you really didn’t want me researching some topics.”

“Ah, sorry Twilight. Old habits.. Ahem.” Celestia cleared her throat. “The Domains are so innately powerful, the effects of their use can be felt even years later in some cases, and leave scars upon the world and history as a whole. Remember when Discord warped reality, making chocolate rain and long legged rabbits and the like?”

Twilight nodded. “That was chaotic to deal with, let alone with the seeds later on and everything afterwards..”

“Now imagine that, but permanently affecting our world. The last time I used The Nature and Energy Domains, I created the Everfree forest. When I last used Balance, I stopped its rampant spread. What would happen if I weaponized such power of creation, control, and destruction against a single individual? How much collateral damage would it cause?” Celestia sighed, tilting her neck with a satisfying pop.

Twilight shivered. “I can kind of understand, having used it against Tirek, and destroying most of Ponyville and the surrounding areas in that battle. But that doesn’t explain how Illua was able to cripple you so, let alone information about it being so stifled, when it was such a major historical battle.”

“I hid the truth. I was ashamed of my inability to defend myself, and I was too afraid to use my domains for fear of how many others I would affect. As such, I mandated that anything that mentioned my injuries would be scrubbed from records, and left Illua as a villain and magical master, in an attempt to appease the then-revolutionaries.” Celestia’s eyes drooped, as her breathing slowed, but sleep would not come for her. “Anything else, little one?”

“Can you honestly say Illua is irredeemably evil?” Twilight’s hooves fidgeted with each other. “From that crystal, she’s violent, crude, and shows no restraint, but she seemed to have a moral code that she tried to start with.”

Celestia lifted her head and regarded the nervous alicorn under her wing. “I don’t think she’s irredeemable, but I think she’s still too dangerous to leave roaming free.. Especially since I’m sure she holds a grudge against me.” The sun princess nuzzled Twilight. “I’ll trust you with this, since I know Illua won’t harm innocents, and your unique experiences may help her. But I would keep a contingency plan in your saddlebags, just in case. You should head back with the girls–”

“Last question, I promise..”

“Very well, Twilight.”

“If your domains could protect you from everything before Illua attacked you, What about her allows that to happen? You lost a wing and it had to be reattached..”

A deep sigh from the ancient being escaped her once more. “Much like how the Elements of Harmony are separate from the Domains, Principles, and Elements, There’s another magical source that acts as an opposing and amplifying force against most magic, known as ‘Void.’ Illua’s sword contains that essence within it.” Celestia rolled her wing a bit, as the phantom pain flared. “As such, If her sword is drawn, avoid it at all costs. Now Twilight, please let me get some rest. It’s going to be a long day tomorrow.”

Twilight slipped from under her mentor’s wing, and smiled. “Alright, I’m going to see what I can research, and maybe I’ll have something prepared in the morning.”

“Please get some sleep.”

“I can’t promise anything.” A light giggle escaped Twilight.

“Shoo, you night owl.” A small grin graced Celestia’s lips, the familiar scene playing out as it had for years.

Author's Note:

It's been 2 years, as of October 19th.

Mental health hasn't been good.

Sorry for delay.