• Published 1st Apr 2015
  • 2,813 Views, 60 Comments

Tough - Havokwithak



Rainbow Dash has an experience that teaches her just how tough her friend, Applejack, really is.

  • ...
5
 60
 2,813

Blue Eyes

Applejack took a deep breath as a shudder ran through her body. Rainbow could tell she was still hesitant to talk about what happened, but she knew the farm-mare needed to talk about everything.

“One more thing.” Applejack said, her eyes closed and her head turned to the ceiling. She opened her eyes slightly as she spoke again, a single tear falling down her face. “Whatever I say here… it stays between us, right? No matter what?”

Rainbow smiled and placed a hoof on the other mare’s shoulder. “Of course, AJ. Just say whatever you need.”

Applejack turned her head to look into Rainbow Dash’s eyes and smiled a small sad smile. “Thanks, Dash.” she said, nuzzling her face into the hoof.

“Whatever you need, AJ. Like I said, today, for you, I’ll be a wimp.” Rainbow said pulling her hoof away hesitantly. She was enjoying the small act of affection, but she knew that today was not for her, it was for Applejack.

The other mare stared at the floor for several minutes without speaking. Rainbow guessed she was gathering her thoughts and preparing herself and she was willing to wait for as long as she needed.

“Well, what do you want to hear?” the orange mare asked.

“Whatever you want to talk about.” Dash said with no hesitation. “Anything you want to talk about… I’m here for you.” she said as she slid closer to the farm mare.

“Well… why don’t we start on the day I met my first friend....”


Applejack walked through the apple orchard, excited for her first ever day of apple-bucking. She stared at the ripe juicy red orbs tentatively hanging from the branches of the trees as they lightly swung in the early morning breeze.

She was eager for her mother to teach her how to apple-buck; she had been promising for months and today was the day she was finally going to teach the little filly. Applejack smiled as she broke into a full run down the earthen roads.

She saw a stallion at the top of the hill, kicking a tree. He was an orange earth-pony with a short, bright red mane and tail. He was an older stallion, but still large and powerful. The brim of his stetson fluttered slightly in the breeze as he gave a tree a hardy buck.

“Daddy!” Applejack yelled as she ran. “Daddy, where’s Mama?” she asked as she approached the large stallion.

Applejack’s dad looked down at the filly and flashed a slightly sheepish grin. “Oh, your Mama?” he said. “She’s in bed… sick today.”

Applejack’s face fell, “Oh,” she said. “That’s okay. You can teach me today, right?” she asked hopefully.

“Sorry, sugarcube.” he said, Applejack hated that nickname, because he only used it when he was going to tell her something she did not want to hear. “Without yer mom here, I gotta keep focused ta get all this work done. Why don’t you go play, and we’ll show ya’ how it’s done later, alright?” he asked it like it was a question, but she knew from experience that it wasn’t.

“Okay…” she said, utilizing her sad eyes, but to no avail. She sighed loudly before walking away slowly, hoping her father would change his mind and teach her today, but with no such luck.

Applejack walked to her favorite hill, the one she had always said she would plant her first tree on. She sat atop the hill for several minutes while she debated what to do next; she had no friends to spend time with and she did not care to go try to make friends with anypony from school.

Everypony in the school was friends with Filthy and she did not like him very much. She could always go and spend time with her mother, but it was such a beautiful day. She did not want to spend it inside.

“What am I gonna do today?” she asked herself aloud.

The question was answered for her in the form of a falling, screaming little filly. The filly fell straight down out of the sky and hit the ground with a large thud.

Applejack stared at the unmoving filly for a moment before blinking. “What in th’ hay?”

“Ouch…” the little filly said as she rolled onto her feet. When she finally stood, Applejack could see the little filly was a pegasus with large wings. Her coat was a shining crimson and her mane was a bright yellow, much like Applejack’s own mane. It was a short cut mane and tail, and she had bright red bands in her hair, keeping it in place.

“Are you okay?” Applejack asked approaching the filly cautiously.

“Yes, sorry.” The filly said turning to Applejack, revealing a beautiful, deep blue set of eyes. Her voice was soft and slightly melodic, as if she sang often. “I was just trying a new trick… didn’t quite work out.” she chuckled. “Sorry to disturb you.”

“Ain’t no problem.” Applejack smiled. “I’m Applejack, who’re you?”

The filly giggled slightly before answering. “I’m Rose… Phoenix Rose. It’s nice to meet you Applejack.” she said.

“Rose.” Applejack chuckled slightly, unsure as to why she was blushing. “That’s a pretty name.”

“Thank you, Applejack.” Rose said as she stretched her wings.

“I ain’t never met you before… where are you from?”

“I just moved here from Cloudsdale.” Rose said, folding her wings back into her sides. “I don’t have any friends yet.”

“I’ll be yer friend.” Applejack blurted. “I mean… I ain’t got any friends yet either…”

Rose smiled then and Applejack thought it was the nicest smile she had ever seen before. “I would like that, Applejack.”

“How old are you?” Applejack asked stepping closer to the filly.

“I’m eleven now. How old are you?”

“I’m eleven, but I’m turning twelve in about a month.” Applejack held her hoof out to the other filly.

Rose smiled at the outstretched hoof before bumping her own against it. “We are going to be great friends aren’t we?” she asked.

“The best!” Applejack answered with a smile.


“Were you?” Rainbow asked as Applejack paused in her story.

Applejack laughed for a minute. “We really were. We spent all our time together after that.”

“Where is she now?” Rainbow asked.

Applejack simply shook her head as a tear fell from her eye. “We’ll get to that.” Rainbow simply nodded and waited for her story to continue.

“About two months later…”


Applejack and Rose stood outside the farmhouse, staring at the massive doors intently. “You ready?” Rose asked.

“Eeyup.” Applejack said, stepping towards their goal. “On three.”

Rose nodded before stepping up to the door. “One.”

Applejack pushed the door open. “Two.”

Both fillies ran into the barn as fast as they could. “THREE!” they yelled simultaneously as they tackled the pair of ponies in the kitchen.

Applejack’s parents fell to the ground laughing as the two fillies collided with them, the hat falling from her father’s head as he hit the ground.

“What are you two doing?” Applejack’s mother chuckled from her spot beneath the two fillies and pressed her hoof against her daughter’s nose.

Applejack’s mother was a beautiful mare, who took after her family in Manehatten, with her traditional yellow mane in a short cut with a light yellow coat.

Applejack giggled as her mother poked her nose. “We wanted to surprise ya, mama.”

“Well, you most certainly did that, dear.” Her mother said as she pulled herself from the floor.

“I’ll say…” her father mumbled before grinning. “Maybe your brother would like a surprise.” he said.

“That would be fantastic, wouldn’t it?” Rose asked. Applejack simply nodded and the two ran from the room passing Granny Smith on their way.

“Where’re ya’ll off ta?” The old mare asked.

“Gonna surprise big brother.” Applejack yelled as she ran.

The two made it down the hallway to Big Mac’s room just as the door flew open.

Mac stood in the doorway smiling as the two fillies skid to a halt. “Nope.” he said with a chuckle.

“Darn.” Applejack said as she slid into her brother, wrapping her forelegs around his in a quick hug. “Next time we’ll getcha.” she said.

Big Mac chuckled, returning his sister’s hug. “Eeyup.”

“C’mon, Rose!” Applejack yelled to her friend as she ran away yet again.

“I’m coming!” the pegasus laughed as she ran after her friend. The two made their way outside and ran through the hills of the orchard both laughing as they ran.

“Catch me if ya can!” Applejack yelled over her shoulder, giggling.

“I can and will!” Rose yelled as she increased her pace, buzzing her wings as she ran. Rose flew forward as fast as she possibly could and tackled the orange filly.

The two landed in a giggling heap at the top of the hill in the center of the orchard. Applejack wrapped her hooves around the other filly and pulled her into a tight hug. She had only known Rose for two months but she already felt like the other pony was the best friend she could possibly ask for.

Rose smiled as her giggles subsided and returned the embrace as they lay on the ground. The two closed their eyes and snuggled closer together in the shade of a large tree.

“You’re a great friend, ya know that right?” Applejack asked the pegasus in her embrace.

Rose giggled as she pulled herself closer to the other filly. “You’re a better friend…”

Applejack tried to smile as she yawned. She opened her eyes to meet the beautiful blue gaze of her best friend. On a whim, Applejack kissed Rose on the nose quickly. “Thank you.” Rose said.

“Fer what?” Applejack asked, blushing from her previous act.

The other filly simply pulled herself closer to Applejack and sighed contently before replying. “Just for being you…”

The two fillies then fell asleep, warm in each other’s tender embrace and smiles on their faces.


“Things were always like that for us.” Applejack sobbed. “I miss her so much…”

Rainbow pulled herself closer to the other mare and draped a wing over her. “It sounds like you two were close.”

Applejack sobbed again. “We were as close as two fillies could get.” she said, tears falling down her face again.

“Do you wanna stop?” Rainbow asked. She knew that her friend needed to talk about what happened, but she did not want to push her.

“No.” Applejack said firmly. “I need to talk about it… Thank you, Rainbow Dash.” she said as she pulled herself more firmly beneath the wing of the other mare. “This is actually helping.”

“N-no problem.” Rainbow stammered. Where did that come from?

“I needed to talk about that though, cause she played an important part in what came next.” Applejack said, quietly.

“I understand… what happened?” Rainbow asked, absently stroking Applejack’s mane.

Applejack sighed almost inaudibly and Rainbow could have sworn she heard a bit of anger in the sigh. “Granny happened.”

Author's Note:

I meant to have this done much sooner than I did, but work has been crazy lately, still I'm working to be a little more productive so the next chapter shouldn't have too much of a wait.

As usual feel free to give me a comment and let me know what you think, you guys are all awesome and I love to hear what you have to say.:twilightsmile: