• Published 12th Mar 2015
  • 451 Views, 8 Comments

The Origins of the Cutie Mark - CoastBrumby



Princess Twilight Sparkle is summoned to Canterlot. There she learns the true origins of the pony race. Twilight must travel to Saddle Arabia with Prince Blueblood and Twinkleshine to recover an ancient powerful relic.

  • ...
10
 8
 451

Chapter 4: The Desert Palace


The airship was put back on course after the encounter with the stormhawk, and Princess Twilight Sparkle and her entourage made it to the Desert Continent on time. The travellers were off the airship and on the ground for less than an hour before they were on a train taking them the long journey over vast stretches of sand to the capital city of Saddle Arabia.

It was on the second day of the train journey the Twinkleshine approached Twilight Sparkle. Twilight Sparkle was staring out into the endless sea of sand from the open train window.

“What are you looking at, Princess Twilight?” Twinkleshine asked.

“I am looking at the desert. It has a type of beauty not found in Equestria.” Twilight said.

“But it is a dead beauty. I prefer our hills and fields filled with life.” Twinkleshine said.

“The desert isn’t dead. There’s life out there. Much of it simply waits to come out at night. Prince Blueblood says that there are nomadic tribes of ponies out there that survive in such harsh conditions using ancient wisdom. To think we are going to meet some soon. Perhaps you could learn from them. There oral traditions might have knowledge missing from your written records.” Twilight said.

“The Elders are a taboo subject to many tribes, or so my research has led me to believe.” Twinkleshine said.
“Perhaps Blueblood can help you. He must have some ins with a few tribes-ponies.” Twilight said.
“I’d like to talk to him about it, but I seem to have a case of nerves. I like him, but I can barely be in the same room as him.” Twinkleshine said.

“You’ve gotten over your fear of me easily enough.” Twilight said.

“This isn’t easy. I am very nervous right now. I am only able to stay here because I keep reminding myself you are the pony I knew back in school. I remind myself that you once wet the mat during nap time in kindergarten.” Twinkleshine said.
Twilight Sparkle frowned. “Yes, that happened to you as well.” She said.

“Did it?” Twinkleshine said.

“Yes, but that’s the thing. I really am just another pony. My power and my title are important parts of me, but they don’t determine who I really am. Prince Blueblood is no different. He went to the same kindergarten we did, but he was a few years ahead.” Twilight said.

“Prince Blueblood isn’t just another pony. He’s really handsome.” Twinkleshine said.

Twilight laughed. “Maybe I should cast a spell on him, and help you out a little. Do you think things would be easier if he had a couple of huge warts on his face?”

“No, please, don’t hurt him.” Twinkleshine said.

“I am being playful, Twinkleshine. I would never do anything like that.” Twilight said.

“Of course, I understand. You’d never abuse your magic like that. It goes against everything we learned in school. ‘Magic used for corrupt purposes will become corrupt and turn against the unicorn that casts it.’ Celestia really drilled that one into our heads.” Twinkleshine said.

“She encouraged me to be bold with my experimentation.” Twilight said.

“Ha ha. Did she now? And now you have even more power to experiment with and nopony can stop you. How spectacular.” Twinkleshine said. She waved her hooves about frantically.

“You’re getting a little hysterical. Perhaps you should cool down a little.” Twilight said.

“You’re right. Magical experimentation is perfectly safe when done by responsible ponies like us. How about I go get us a couple of ice teas from the dining car?” Twinkleshine said.

“That would be lovely. A pony gets thirsty so quickly in this dry air.” Twilight said.

Twinkleshine trotted off quickly. Twilight looked out at the desert once more. There were dust devils in the distance. “Twinkleshine’s heart is swirling like the wind out there. I hope that nervous pony settles soon. We’ll need her expertise to complete our mission, plus she doesn’t seem to be enjoying this trip. This should be the experience of a lifetime for a young unicorn fresh out of school.” Twilight said.

The train rattled on, and Twilight Sparkle drank in the sights and hopped for the future.

The capital city was a wonder to behold. Every building was beautifully decorated with intricate carving and mosaics. There were more towers, domes, and minarets than Twilight Sparkle could count.

The palace they were brought to by the royal porters who met the travlers at the station was the most breath taking building anypony in the group had ever seen.

“Magnificent isn’t it. It’s said it was built over two thousand years ago by a fantastically wealthy prince who was trying to win the heart of Princess Celestia.” Prince Blueblood said.

“How did she respond?” Twinkleshine asked.

“She rejected him. She told him true beauty nourishes the soul as well as the eye.” Prince Blueblood said.

“What does that mean?” Twilight Sparkle asked.

“You know what. I keep meaning to ask Aunty, but it always slips my mind.” Prince Blueblood said.

“Do you like the palace, Your Highness?” Twinkleshine said.

“I’ve had many good times here. The people are kind, and the food is fantastic.” Prince Blueblood said.

The porters guided Twilight Sparkle, Twinkleshine, Prince Blueblood, and the Royal Guards into an enclosed courtyard with a marble fountain in its centre and raised flowerbeds around its edges. There were benches with palm trees that provided shade. The porters indicated the group were to sit on the benches. Silent servants arrived and served all in the group cool drinks of sweet cordial.

“This is a pretty place, but it seems an odd location to keep us waiting. Do you think something is amiss, Your Highness?” Twinkleshine said to Prince Blueblood.

“Not at all. I see an old friend now.” Prince Blueblood said.

A tall tan coated stallion with dark brown mane approached the group. He had no cutie mark.

“He’s very handsome, but where is his cutie mark?” Twilight whispered to Twinkleshine.

“I don’t know, Princess.” Twinkleshine said.

“Dawn Mirage, they sent you. I’m shocked. You told me they found me to be a bad influence.” Prince Blueblood said. He got up and rushed to embrace his old friend.

The two stallions hugged and air kissed.

“Blueblood, my dear friend, they had no other choice. The others are all away for this reason or another, but we breach protocol.” Dawn Mirage said. He trotted to stand before Princess Twilight Sparkle. He bowed low. “Your Royal Highness, I am Prince Dawn Mirage of the House of Saddle, I extend welcome from the Sultan and Sultana. They regret they cannot greet you in person. The Sultana’s aunt recently passed, and the Sultan and Sultana are at the funeral.”

Twilight Sparkle stood and bowed to Prince Dawn Mirage. “Greetings Dawn Mirage, Equestria extends its condolences to the House of Saddle.” She stood up. “May I introduce our expert and companion Twinkleshine the Unicorn, and our Royal Guard.”

Twinkleshine bowed briefly. “Your Highness.” She said.

Dawn Mirage nodded to her. “It is a pleasure to meet you, my lady. There were rumours the princess had a consort who was a white unicorn of great beauty. I see the rumours were true.” He said.

Prince Blueblood spoke up. “She said ‘companion’ not ‘consort’, Old Sport, and I would appreciate it if you kept such rumours to yourself. We are going to visit the desert tribes.”

“Of course my dear friend. Why speak about the doings of others when we can be doing ourselves. Oh what fun you and I shall have. The good old days have come again. Come, let us speak more inside. A light meal has been prepared inside. Our porters can show your Royal Guard your lodgings. They will provide them with whatever they request.” Prince Dawn Mirage said.

Twinkleshine and Prince Blueblood looked at Twilight Sparkle. Twilight Sparkle turned to the captain of her Royal Guard. “Captain, follow the porters and help them get our rooms ready. Find me if you have any issues, otherwise I will find you.” Twilight Sparkle said.

“Yes, Your Highness.” The Royal Guard Captain said. The captain and the rest of the guards followed the porters.
Prince Dawn Mirage led Twilight Sparkle and her companions to a cool airy room decorated with curtains and cushions. There was a table in the center of the room laden with chopped vegetables, fruit and, nuts. All four sat comfortably around the table. “Please, eat as you desire.” Dawn Mirage said.

No pony spoke or ate for twenty seconds. “You’re waiting for me to start. Aren’t you?” Princess Twilight Sparkle said. She picked up a piece of fig with her magic and put it in her mouth. “This is good.” She said.

All ate freely after that. The spirit of the room became relaxed and joyous. Prince Blueblood regaled his old friend with the tale of his humiliation at the Grand Galloping Gala.

“Oh ha ha, Did she truly say ‘The only thing royal about you is your attitude.’ I’d heard such a rumour, but I found it hard to believe. You were always such a charmer.” Dawn Mirage said.

“I was following the advice of a self-help book I later learned was satire.” Prince Blueblood said.

“That I believe. You’ve had a bad habit of finding bad advice with ease.” Dawn Mirage said.

“I survive and learn. I survive and learn.” Prince Blueblood said.

“I do not learn enough of what happens in Canterlot. The rumours we receive here are terribly out of date. I still do not know if those two Pegasi mares who caused such a rucus ever reconciled. If the beautiful Fluttershy craved my love I would not ignore her like that silly cyan mare did.” Dawn Mirage said.

“Rainbow Dash is not silly, and her and Fluttershy’s friendship is as strong as ever. Anything they have beyond that is nopony’s business but their own. Why would you even discuss rumours about them? They are just ordinary ponies?” Twilight Sparkle said.

“My apologies, your highness. I did not mean to disparage your companions. Fluttershy is well known amongst ponies who follow foreign fashion closely. She was a model for only a little time, but she caused such a splash. Rumour has it she gave it up because of the jelousy of a mare. Was it Rainbow Dash?” Dawn Mirage said.

“I have heard just enough gossip for one meal, Prince Dawn Mirage. Can we please change the subject?” Twilight Sparkle said.

“As you wish, Princess.” Dawn Mirage said. “Would you like to see the artefacts we have removed from the site?” He asked.

“Nothing was to be removed from the site of the Elder’s ruins until all observers were present, so says the treaty.” Twilight Sparkle said. There was a hint of anger in her voice.

“It can be difficult to keep objects secure in the open desert. Conditions are harsh. Everything is documented. All items are catalogued. Saddle Arabia is being entirely transparent. Your Princess Celestia has always understood this as has Blueblood. Besides, everything we have found so far are trinkets or inert rubbish.” Dawn Mirage said.

“I’d like our own expert to be the judge of that.” Twilight Sparkle said.

“Steady on, we will be given a chance to thoroughly examine everything. That is why we are here after all. This hostility is unjustified. Saddle Arabia has ever been the friend to Equestria. Dawn Mirage may be a rouge, but he is completely honest in his state dealings.” Prince Blueblood said.

“Please, forgive my outburst, Prince Dawn Mirage. I have witnessed the power of ancient magical artifacts first hand. The thought of any misusing them weighs heavily on my mind, but I must remember Saddle Arabia has been dealing with such things since time immemorial, and you have the wisdom to deal with such things safely.” Twilight Sparkle said.

“No forgivness needed. Equestria is right to insist her treaties be obeyed. They were written for the wellbeing of all after all. Shall we see the artefacts in question now, Princess Twilight?” Dawn Mirage said.

Twilight Sparkle turned to Twinkleshine. “Are you up to this right now, or shall we have a rest? We have been journeying long.” Twilight said.
“This is my passion. I am ready to be of service, Your Highness.” Twinkleshine said.

“Lead the way.” Twilight said to Dawn Mirage.
In no time, the four royal ponies were in a room on the other side of the palace. It was a work room filled with varios tools and notebooks.

“This is the room of the Royal Archeologist. He is at the dig site now, but all the artefacts are on the table in the centre of the room. The artefacts are all clearly labelled. Please, put everything back as you found it.” Dawn Mirage said.

Twinkleshine looked at the table. It was covered with pottery and pottery shards. There were pieces of jewellery and coins. Some things were beautiful. Other things were dull as stones. Twinkleshine walked around the table. She circled it four times.

“You may use the tools if you wish.” Dawn Mirage said.

“Thank you, but that is not necessary. All but one item here is nothing more than a trinket. That large vase could be something much more.” Twinkleshine said.

Twilight Sparkle pointed to a stone vase the size of a ponies head. “You mean this thing? It looks so plain. It’s not even hollow. It’s not even a real vase just an old imitation of a vase. How could a simple decoration be important?” She asked.

“I believe it is far from simple. Prince Blueblood, would you be so good as to break the vase?” Twinkleshine said.

“These things do not belong to us, Dear Twinkleshine.” Prince Blueblood said.

“I will take responsibility for any damage. I have faith in your expert. The intellect of Princess Twilight is legend. If Princess Twilight Sparkle vouches for a mares skills, I will not doubt her words.” Dawn Mirage said.

“Yes, we are in the precence of two of Equestria’s finest minds, but they are mares, so naturally they defer to stallions when it comes to basic destruction.” Prince Blueblood used his magic to levet a hammer into his mouth. He griped the hammer tightly in his jaws and swung hard. The vase fell over but did not break. Prince Blueblood struck the vase over and over again with incrising strength with every strike. Finally he spat the hammer out. “What in the hoof is that blasted thing made of?” He said.

“Nopony knows, but it is beyond the power of anypony to destroy with a simple hammer. Such things can be destroyed with only the most potent of magic.” Twinkleshine said.

“I could have a crack at it, but I wouldn’t want to do it here. Unleashing such force near ponies would be dangerous. I could fly it far away if you feel it should be destroyed, Twinkleshine.” Twilight Sparkle said.

“No thank you, Your Highness. This vase is mearly a container. It could hold that which we seek. I believe I can open it, but it will take time.” Twinkleshine said.

“Excellent, let us tour the rest of the palace. I will finish the tour at your rooms when you are ready to rest.” Dawn Mirage said.

“If it is all the same to your highnesses, I would like to get to work immediately. I have dreamt of working with something like this my entire life.” Twinkleshine said.

“A beautiful mare and a diligent scholar. A wondrous combination. You may remain with my blessing. I will post a servant here. You may ask him or her for anything you require, be it tools, scrolls, or food and drink. That is if Princess Twilight Sparkle has no objection.” Dawn Mirage said.

“Twinkleshine is my friend and companion, not my servant, she may do as she pleases.” Twilight Sparkle said.

“Thank you, Princess Twilight.” Twinkleshine said.

“Just don’t work too hard. We head out to the dig site tomorrow, and we are already tired from the trip. You’ll need to get to bed early if you want to have energy tomorrow.” Twilight said.

“Yes, Princess Twilight.” Twinkleshine said.

Twilight Sparkle stared into Twinkleshine’s eyes.

Twinkleshine flinched.

Prince Blueblood chuckled.


Twilight turned to him and glared. Prince Blueblood shut up.

“Shall we continue the tour?” Dawn Mirage asked.

“That would be lovely.” Twilight said.

“Jolly good.” Prince Blueblood said. He winked at Twinkleshine.

Twinkleshine smiled softly at him.

The three royal ponies left Twinkleshine alone in the work room. Twinkleshine cleared the other items of the table. She put them on a bench in such a way as they could be put back on the table the way they were. Twinkleshine had no desire to inconvenience the Royal Archaeologist.

Twinkleshine found a scroll, a quill, and some ink. She placed them on the table. “Now, I am ready to begin.” She said. She took a deep breath and looked intently at the scroll. She spoke one word in the old tongue. “Ulan”. It was the word for ‘activate’. The vase glowed slightly. “Excellent” She said in Equestrian.

Twinkleshine worked for hours on the vase. She used both words and magic on it. While she could make it glow, change colors, and even make music, she could not make it open. Twinkleshine decided to take a short break. She noticed some food and water on a nearby bench. She had not even noticed when the servant brought it in, so intent on her work she had been.

Twinkleshine talked to herself while she ate. “I don’t understand at all. It is still functional. It is no doubt a container, and I have tried everything, but it won’t even form a seem. It’s crazy, what else should I do. I’ve even kissed it, and that’s just nuts.” Twinkleshine said. She ate somemore. “Come to think of it. I’ve not done one thing. I haven’t done it because it makes me feel unclean, but it’s just a word really.” Twinkleshine finshed the food, and drank more water. She made some notes on her scroll. She looked at the scroll and whispered. “Hasbro.” She spoke the true name of The Elders. The true name of the old masters of the pony race.

The vase spilt down the middle. The two halves parted. There was a crystal rod suspended between the two haves. The rod was a stunning blew white. It was beautiful in the light of the magic that held it in the air. Twinkleshine pulled the rod out using her hoof. She felt the power of the rod flow threw her. The vase closed suddenly, but silently.

Twinkleshine began to panic. She found some cloth. She bundled the rod in it. She stepped out into the hall. She realized it was night. Most of the palace was asleep. There was a servant waiting dutifully by the door. The servant was brown Earth Pony mare.

“Take me to my room, please.” Twinkleshine said.

“Yes, My Lady.” The servant said.

“I have no rank. I am a common pony.” Twinkleshine said.

“As you say. Please, follow me.” The servant said.

“Thank you for the food earlier.” Twinkleshine said.

“That was another, but I will pass your thanks along.” The servant said.

Within minutes the two mares were in front of a door. They walked through it together.

“This is a simple room. The toilet is through that door. Princess Twilight’s room is through that door.” The servant said.

Twinkleshine shook her head.

“Nopony knew how you and her highness preferred to have things arranged. This way you can be discreet. You are very lucky. She is very beautiful.” The servant said.

“Yes, she is, and Prince Blueblood is very handsome.” Twinkleshine said.

“His room is not far from here. I could take you.” The servant said.

“I would rather stay here.” Twinkleshine said.

The servant grinned knowingly. “Do you require anything?” She asked.

“No thank you, I would like to be left alone now.” Twinkleshine said.

“But not alone for long.” The servant said. She looked at the door to Twilight’s room.

“Just go.” Twinkleshine said.

“Yes, My Lady.” The servant said.

Twinkleshine did not bother to correct her this time.

When the servant had left, and Twinklshine had composed herself, she walked into Twilight Sparkle’s room.

Twilight’s room was the mirror of Twinkleshine’s room. The first thing Twinkleshine noticed was a spicy scent in the air. Had someone lit incence or a scented candle? She thought. The second thing Twinkleshine noticed was Twilight asleep in her bed. Twinkleshine moved to the bed and climed on top of it. She nudged Twilight to wake her up. “Wake up, Princess Twilight. I opened the vase. I have the rod.” Twinkleshine said.

“Twilight opened her eyes. “It’s late. I’m tired. Can’t it wait until morning?” Twilight said.

“No, I need you to see it now. I have it with me.” Twinkleshine said. She had the rod tied to her back. She did not dare touch it with magic. Twinkleshine put the rod on the bed, and uncovered it.

Twilight slowly slipped out of the sheets. She stood up next to Twinkleshine. “That’s impressive, but I’m very tired. Cover it back up, and hide it under the pillows. We will both sleep here tonight to guard it. We will deal with it first thing in the morning.” Twilight Sparkle said.

Twinkleshine looked at Twilight Sparkle. “I’m really sorry for this, but this is my only chance to win his love.” She said.

"I don’t understand. What are you talking about?” Twilight said.

Twinkleshine picked up the rod and pointed it at Twilight Sparkle. The rod glowed blue.

“Oh.” Twilight Sparkle said. She looked at her flank. Three small stars had appeared as part of her cutie mark. They were Twinkleshine’s stars. “How does making me serve you and love you win you Prince Blueblood’s love?” Twilight Sparkle said.

“You will not get in my way now. Did it work? How do you feel?” Twinkleshine said.

“It worked very well, and I feel wonderful. I love you very much, and here you are loving me back. I couldn’t be happier.” Twilight Sparkle said.

“Yes, I love you back, but I also want Prince Blueblood, so we are going to have to keep all this a secret.” Twinkleshine said.

“As you wish.” Twilight said.

“Let’s do what you said, and wait until morning to deal with this. We will hide the rod under the pillows, and find a better place to hide it in the morning. I am starting to come up with a plan.” Twinkleshine said.

“You are so clever, my love.” Twilight said.

“Just call me Twinkleshine, please, and we will be going to bed now to sleep. We will only be sleeping.” Twinkleshine said.

“Sounds great. Just having you near me is more than enough to fill me with such joy.” Twilight said.

Twinkleshine breathed a sigh of relief. “I’m glad to hear that.” She hid the rod and slipped under the covers.

Twilight slid in on the other side of the bed. “Goodnight, Twinkleshine.” She said.

“Goodnight, Twilight Sparkle.” Twinkleshine replied.

Moonlight streamed through the window. Twinkleshine saw Twilight Sparkle sleeping with a manic grin on her face. “Sweet Celestia, what have I done?” Twinkleshine thought. She was exhausted, and sleep soon took her.

Author's Note:

I am certain there are grammar, and story errors I have missed. If you see them, please inform me nicely.

I hope you all enjoy chapter four.

Please, tell me what you would like to see in chapter five.