• Published 12th Mar 2015
  • 448 Views, 8 Comments

The Origins of the Cutie Mark - CoastBrumby



Princess Twilight Sparkle is summoned to Canterlot. There she learns the true origins of the pony race. Twilight must travel to Saddle Arabia with Prince Blueblood and Twinkleshine to recover an ancient powerful relic.

  • ...
10
 8
 448

Chapter 3: The Stormhawk

The next morning, Prince Blueblood gave his first lecture on Saddle Arabian Geography, Culture, and language. Twilight Sparkle found it to be an engaging and informative lecture. Twinkleshine was clearly entranced as the regal prince spoke.
“This is something I cannot stress enough. To the Saddle Arabians, water is life. Never drink another pony’s water without his or her express permission. I don’t care how thirsty you are; of course, you won’t be getting thirsty. I will be discussing avoiding dehydration in the next lecture. That’s the end of the talk for today. If you have any questions, come find me later. I need a break.” Prince Blueblood said. He opened the room’s shutters and turned off the slide projector.

The royal guards who were in the room got up and left. Twinkleshine and Twilight Sparkle remained. “I suppose it’s time for your lecture.”

Twilight said to Twinkleshine.

“I left the visual aids in my room. I will be right back.” Twinkleshine said. She bowed, said “Your Highnesses.” And left in a rush.

“I feel like I’m back in school.” Twilight said.

“So do I, but I don’t think I am enjoying it like you. Cramming information into my head has never been a real pleasure for me, but each to their own. While we are on the subject there is something I must discuss. I am happy you and Twinkleshine are getting on so well together.”
Prince Blueblood said.

“Well, we knew each other well back in school. We would have been better friends back then, but friendship was an art I had yet to master back in those days.” Twilight said.

“Yes, but you seem to be a bit more than friends at the moment.” Prince Blueblood said.

“Oh, it’s not like that.” Twilight said waving her hoof in the air.

“When I left you last night, you didn’t come out of the bedroom until hours later. You were seen nuzzling on the balcony.” Prince Blueblood said.

“We both fell asleep. We were exhausted. The nuzzling was just a little ordinary friendly feminine affection. I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.” Twilight Sparkle said.

“I am happy for you both. The relevant thing to this mission is the ponies of Saddle Arabia might not be as understanding. They can be very conservative in the deep dessert. The tribes out there are living in the past. If you do not wish to offend our host, I advise you keep your private life private.” Prince Blueblood said.

Twilight snorted. “I do keep my private life private. Believe whatever you want about me, but Twinkleshine prefers stallions.” She said.
Prince Blueblood rubbed his head. “I will never understand mares for as long as I live. You heard my point and that’s the important bit. I will say this. If you are in a relationship with Twinkleshine, you are a lucky pony. There are few ponies that are as graceful, elegant, refined, and beautiful as she.” He said.

Twilights eyes sparkled. “You have no idea how happy I am to hear that.” She said.

“Yes, she’s definitely your type. Reminds me of your friend Rarity. The two of you were dating for some time if the rumours are true.” Prince Blueblood said.

“They’re not true.” Twilight said. Her head slumped.

Twinkleshine return to the room. She was carrying two full saddle bags. She changed the carousel in the slide projector, and used her magic to close the shutters. The room darkened. The slide projector turned on. The first slide read in bold letters: A History of The Elders.

“I am ready to begin, Your Highnesses. I probably should have said that before I turned everything on.” She said.

“No need to be so formal when it is just us three, my dear.” Prince Blueblood said.

“I’m a Unicorn, not a deer.” Twinkleshine said.

The room went quiet.

“That was a joke, Your Highness.” Twinkleshine said.

“Oh, witty.” Prince Blueblood said.

“Please, proceed with the lecture, Twinkleshine.” Twilight sparkle said.

Twinkleshine began. “I will begin by saying that I will not be using the true name of our old overlords. I will refer to them as ‘The Elders’ for the entirety of this lecture. I believe you both know the true name already.”

Prince Blueblood and Twilight Sparkle nodded.

Twinkleshine switched the slide. An image of The Desert Continent appeared on the screen. “This is The Desert Continent. This is where we come from, and it is believed this is where the Elders came from as well. At the very least, it is known this was the centre of their power when they left us twenty thousand years ago. But what is an Elder?” Twinkleshine said.

Twinkleshine changed the slide. It read: But what is an Elder?

Prince Blueblood groaned.

Twilight Sparkle elbowed him in the side. “She was quiet for your talk.” Twilight whispered to him.
The lecture lasted almost an hour with a short break at the halfway point.

The three ponies walked out of the room and stretched in the sun on the balcony after the lecture.

“That was really well presented, Twinkleshine. We both learned a lot. The slides and artefacts you brought with you really helped.” Twilight Sparkle said.

“Really? You didn’t seem to be enjoying it, Prince Blueblood. Was it the diagrams? I admit I am not much of an artist.” Twinkleshine said.

“Lectures aren’t really my thing. The diagrams were very helpful. I now know The Elders were shape shifters than ruled us all for tens of thousands of years. They looked like unicorns with a crystalline eyelike appendage instead of horns most of the time. This was most likely their true form, but none can say for certain. Their magic was at least as powerful as any Alicorn. They also created many clever things. The tree of harmony may be one of their creations or a result of their doings. Artefacts from that era are rare, and most are simple things that were used by us such as pot shards or knives. Some artefacts are devices used by them. Most of these don’t work, but we can still learn much from them. The ones that do work are extremely rare. They are often dangerous in the wrong hooves. Such as this branding rod. I know I certainly shouldn’t be left alone with it if we find it. I have people I’d want to use it on. Dance bookies. Dance!”

“I’d dance with you.” Twinkleshine said. She blushed.

“What do you mean by that?” Prince Blueblood asked.

“I mean it, the rod, could be used on any pony, not just your enemies. That’s why it is to be dived. I’m glad my diagrams were helpful. You’ve learned the key points of my lecture, so we weren’t wasting our time in there. Not that spending time with you is ever a waste of time.” Twinkleshine said.

“You are a kind pony, Twinkleshine. My stomach is telling me it is time for lunch. We should go to the main dining room before they run out of applesauce soaked hay.” Prince Blueblood said.

Twilight Sparkle spoke up. “I wholeheartedly agree. Lead the way.” She said.

Twilight trotted next to Twinkleshine as the three ponies walked to the dining room. “You should ask him at lunch if he wants to have a drink with you tonight.” Twilight said.

“I will. I will ask him.” Twinkleshine said.

Twinkleshine sat between Prince Blueblood and Princess Twilight Sparkle. She only nibbled at her food while the two royals between her ate with gusto. When the meal was almost over and Prince Blueblood was chewing on some mint leaves, Twinkleshine turned to Prince Blueblood. “Um, Prince Blueblood. Last night, Princess Twilight Sparkle and I went to the balcony at rear of the ship. It was very romantic, and the drinks were nice, so…”

“The two of you nuzzled. I know. Twilight and I already spoke of this. Won’t be a problem on this ship, but you will need to be discreet in Saddle Arabia.” Prince Blueblood said.

“Nuzzling. Oh that. That was just a lark. I wanted to know if you wanted to have a drink on the balcony too, Your Highness. There doesn’t have to be any nuzzling.” Twinkleshine said.

“I would be delighted to join the two of you. It will keep me away from the royal guards dicing game.” Prince Blueblood said.
The members of the royal guards who were eating lunch with the trio looked at Prince Blueblood. They all stopped their chewing.

“That’s right boys. I know. I’ve a sixth sense for this sort of thing, but don’t worry. So long as it does not cause you to be derelict in your duties, I won’t say a word to your superiors.” Prince Blueblood said.

The guards resumed chewing their leaves.

“Do you really have a sixth sense?” Twilight Sparkle asked.

“No, but I have taken this trip a couple times before. There’s always a game.” Prince Blueblood answered.

After lunch, Twilight Sparkle and Twinkleshine spoke in private. “Prince Blueblood wants to have a drink with both of us. Is this a good thing?” Twinkleshine asked.

“I think it is a fine thing. I have a plan. I will join the two of you for the first drink, but after that, I will claim to be tired. Then the two of you will have some time alone.” Twilight said.

Twinkleshine laughed with joy.

That night everything went as planned. Twilight Sparkle had one drink with the potential happy couple, and retired to bed after that. Despite her excitement she went to sleep easily. She missed Spike.

The next morning Twinkleshine sat next to Twilight Sparkle at the breakfast table. She greeted her new friend and began to eat.

“So, how’d it go last night?” Twilight enquired.

“I think it went well.” Twinkleshine said.

“Did you tell him how you feel?” Twilight asked.

“No, I didn’t have the courage. I asked him about Saddle Arabia, and he asked me about The Elders. He wanted to know if the ruins might prove dangerous. He wanted to know if The Elders set up traps like those found in Daring Do books. I told him ‘No.’. Some of their runes have doors that require access codes or keys, but they never made anything designed to hurt ponies as far as we know. Why would they do that? They controlled us. Hurting us would be like damaging a useful tool.” Twinkleshine said.

“Fascinating, but I want to know about your plans in regards to Prince Blueblood. When are you going to talk to him? When will you make your feelings plain?” Twilight said.

“I thought about this after I went to bed last night. Princess Twilight Sparkle, we are on an important mission for Equestria. I am an important expert on this team. I would be remiss if I let my feelings get in the way of my duty. I would be downright treasonous if I created an issue that interfered with our team dynamic. There is no way of knowing how Prince Blueblood would respond to a confession of love. I will tell him on the airship ride back to Equestria. I will tell him after we have succeeded in our mission.” Twinkleshine said.

“It seems you have thought this through. You are making the responsible and wise choice. I’m proud of you.” Twilight said.

“Yeah…wise.” Twinkleshine said. She turned to concentrate on her oats.

A shriek was heard in the distance.

Twinkleshine looked up. “What was that?” She asked

“I don’t know, but it came from outside the storm. It was like thunder, but different. It came from the north. Let’s go have a look.” Twilight said.

Twinkleshine ate some more oats. “I think I will finish breakfast first. I don’t do well with low blood sugar.” She said.

There was another thunderous shriek. This one was louder. “I’ve eaten enough.” Twinkleshine said. She galloped to a north facing window. Twilight galloped beside her.

Many ponies were gathered by the window. They were all looking at the same thing there was a black cloud in the distance. Lightning flecked across its surface. It was approaching rapidly. As it grew closer it was apparent to all the cloud was no ordinary weather pattern. It had eyes that glowed yellow. It flapped giant black wings of storm cloud slowly like a bird of prey.

“It looks like a raptor.” Twilight said.

“I think I have read about something like this.” Twinkleshine said. She looked at Twilight. “Stormhawk.”

“A stormhawk. The living weather birds of the north. I remember now, but they shouldn’t be found this far south.” Twilight said.

A voice from behind her spoke up. “We are not as far south as you might think, Princess Twilight. I just spoke to the captain. He took the ship north to catch a favourable wind. Fool! He knows we have an Alicorn on-board.” Prince Blueblood said.

“What do I have to do with this?” Twilight asked.

“Stormhawks are attracted to powerful magic. They can sense them over great distances. They won’t stop attacking until the magic has been completely extinguished. Aunty told me they had to travel a careful route to stay out of stormhawk territory the last time she travelled to Saddle Arabia. I say. When we get out of this crisis I am going to give that fool of a captain a piece of my mind. Princess Twilight, can you teleport a hundred leagues from here. If you choose a place to the southeast, we should be able to pick you up on our route.” Prince Blueblood said.

“No!” Twinkleshine cried out. “She might be lost at sea forever. There must be another way.” She said.

“As long as the stormhawk can sense me on this ship, we are all at risk. However, Prince Bluebloods plan is not a risk I need to take. The stormhawk won’t be able to sense me if I don’t have my magic anymore. The stormhawk won’t be able to feel my power if it is sealed away. Twinkleshine, how fast can you forge a containment orb?” Twilight said.

“I was never good with artefact construction at school.” Twinkleshine said.

“I don’t need good. I need fast. I cannot make this myself. You know that.” Twilight said.

“But…” Twinkleshine said.

“We have no time for a crisis of confidence. I know you can do this. I know you can save us all.” Twilight said.

“Right. Right.” Twinkleshine said. She trotted over to a table. She burned a magical circle onto it using her horn. “Twilight Sparkle, you must prepare yourself, your highness. Prince Blueblood, I need glass, lots of glass.” She said.

Prince Blueblood levitated all the drinking glasses he could see to Twinkleshine. “Will this do?” He asked.

“Perfect. Put them down. I am going to forge.” She said. The glasses flew together and floated above the magic circle. The glasses became red hot and fluid. They formed into a perfect sphere. The glass globe cooled and landed on the table. There were runes carved into the entirety of the globe. “The containment orb is complete.” Twinkleshine said.

“Well done. Stand aside. I will transfer my magic into the circle now. There it will sleep, and be invisible to the hawk. Transferring!” Twilight Sparkle glowed. Her magic flowed out of her as light. The orb shined brightly the turned black. “It is done.” Twilight said. She stumbled. Twinkleshine caught her.

“It worked. You couldn’t even levitate a feather like this.” Twinkleshine said.

“Is the hawk leaving?” Twilight asked weakly.

There was a deafening shrieking from the north. Lightning flashed through the window.

“No.” Said Twilight. “Why is it still coming?”

“Stormhawks can be territorial. They are known to push airships for leagues to get them out of their airspace.” Prince Blueblood said.

“Can the ship survive that?” Twinkleshine asked.

“I’d give us a fifty-fifty chance. It is better odds than we had before.” Prince Blueblood said.

“You promised you’d stop gambling. You promised Princess Celestia.” Twilight said.

“What do you expect him to do?” Twinkleshine said.

Prince Blueblood grinned. “Your brother told you. Didn’t he?” He said.

Twilight Sparkle smiled coyly at the proud stallion.

“What does she know, Your Highness?” Twinkleshine asked.

“She knows that after her brother Shining returned from his honeymoon Aunty insisted that members of the royal guard and few other powerful unicorns learned his protection spell before Shining Armour departed for the Crystal Empire. I was one of those powerful unicorns.” Prince Blueblood said. His horn glowed pink. A ball of pink energy shot out of his horn and passed through the window. A pink bubble completely surrounded the airship. “There was no sense casting this before. I can’t keep this up forever if it is being attacked. The stormhawk would have worn me down if it was trying to destroy Twilight, but now it should leave once it has pushed us far enough south.

No talking now. I need to concentrate. The hawk is upon us.” Prince Blueblood said.

A blackness engulfed the ship. Extreme winds and lightning assaulted the pink bubble. Prince Blueblood gritted his teeth. Sweat covered his brow. Five minutes passed. Then ten. Still, the ship remained in darkness. “Twinkleshine, I can’t hold out much longer. If the hawk hasn’t left in two minutes, I want you to teleport the princess as far away as you can. If you value Equestria, you will do as I say. Protect her with your life. She is bound up with ancient magics. Our nation needs her more than anyone else here.” Prince Blueblood said.

“No, it doesn’t work like that. The magic will choose another. I’m just another pony. I can die without disaster.” Twilight said.

“Nopony is going to die. Prince Blueblood, you have the strength. You could hold off this hawk for hours. I know it. I can feel it. Use the strength of your heart. The strongest magic comes from love. Find love in your heart.” Twinkleshine said.

“I don’t really understand love.” Prince Blueblood said.

“You don’t need to understand it. Just feel it. Feel it from me.” Twinkleshine said. She put her horn against Prince Blueblood’s horn. The pink bubble around the ship turned bright crimson. The ship began to move rapidly. In seconds, they were free from the black clouds. In seconds more, the hawk was out of sight.

The bubble dissipated. Prince Blueblood collapsed. “Is it too early in the day for a scotch?” He asked.

Twinkleshine giggled.

A great shattering was heard. Twilight Sparkle glowed bright. “Sorry, I had to break your orb to get my power back. I think you have earned a scotch. Unfortunately, we used all the glasses to make that orb.” Twilight said.

“Are you sure it is okay? What if it comes after us again?” Twinkleshine asked.

“If that darn hawk is going to chase us this far south then it is no more Ms. Nicepony. I will only tolerate so much harassment.” Twilight said.

“What do you mean?” Twinkleshine asked.

“I think she means she will kill it. Do really think she couldn’t before? This is a person who can raise the sun you are talking to. We did things this way to preserve life.” Prince Blueblood said.

“I hope you aren’t angry with me.” Twilight said to Twinkleshine.

“No, I’m not angry, but I am going to go find someplace private were I can scream in terror for a while. You could have overcome that monster. You let me take your magic. We shared a bed. I nuzzled you.” Twinkleshine said. She began to shiver.

“I am still the same pony you knew back in school. There is no need to be nervous. We are friends remember.” Twilight said.

“Nervous, I’m terrified. I have to go now. Excuse me your highnesses.” Twinkleshine said. She galloped away.

Prince Blueblood stood up and brushed himself off. “Do you think she will be alright?” he asked.

“Yes, this was a trying event. She is emotionally exhausted at the moment. She will recover. Twinkleshine just needs a little rest.”
A bottle of scotch floated between Twilight Sparkle and Prince Blueblood. “I know we are out of glasses but we could take turns drinking this out of the bottle.” Prince Blueblood said.

“Or, you could put that away, and we could go talk to the captain. He’d probably like to know how far we have been blown off course. Information you might have.” Twilight said.

“You really are a princess.” Prince Blueblood said.

“I know.” Twilight Sparkle said.

Author's Note:

Tune in next time for more heart stopping action and adventure.:twilightsmile: