• Published 8th Nov 2011
  • 1,633 Views, 25 Comments

Fashion Final - SpitfireLover



A new Fashion Designer comes to town, how will Rarity cope?

  • ...
 25
 1,633

Observing the Outsider

Fashion Final

Observing the Outsider

"Welcome to Carousel Boutique, where everything is chic, unique and magnif-" Rarity started to say as she turned around, however she was cut short by the pony in the doorway. Quinnston was standing there, with a rather miffed look about him; Rarity noticed he was carrying a torn pair of flight goggles with a lightning bolt design and Opalescence by the scruff in his mouth.

"Is this your pet?" he asked Rarity with a serious look on his face.

"Yes! I am so sorry if Opal has caused any harm!" said Rarity as she quickly snatched Opalescence out of Quinnston's grasp. As Rarity looked up to carry Opal away with her magic, she had her first good look at the newcomer, his coat was a frosty-blue colour, his mane was a two-tone mix of frosty blue and cobalt and his cutie mark appeared to be a deep scarlet lensed pair of flight goggles; also to Rarity's surprise, he was a pegasus pony!

A pegasus fashion designer? No wonder I haven't heard of him, he's probably had his head in the clouds all this time! That also explains why Rainbow was so interested in his accessories!

Rarity was still examining Quinnston when he cleared his throat, making her jump, "Excuse me but can you keep this wild animal away from my shop, I found it tearing these goggles to shreds. That is a whole month of work down the drain, I'm going to have to get more rubies now!" Rarity was speechless after this outburst, she was filling with rage over what he had called Opal, and about his rude entrance; all this said, she did not want to get on the wrong side of a pegasus, she knew that after more than one experience in her past.

"Mr. Quinnston, are you leaving or are you going to be my door-stop for the day?" suggested Rarity quickly, as she could see that this conversation would only bring trouble now.

"I was just leaving!" mumbled the irritated pegasus, as he flew out of the boutique, blasting air into Rarity's face, yet again Rarity's artistic looks were ruined, she grumbled with agitation and climbed up the stairs, back to her room. It was another half an hour before she managed to finally open her shop without any problems.


It was the Saturday after Quinnston had moved in, and he had made an announcement that his 'Wings, Hooves and Horns Emporium' was opening on Tuesday, Rarity throughout her extremely busy week had been making attempts to visit Twilight about 'Quinny' as he was now known about the town, but she had no chance to talk, because within five minutes of her leaving the shop unattended a pony such as Colgate, Lyra or even Caramel had asked her for help with some fashion related thing or another. It had just turned 6pm and Rarity could finally find Twilight, as she closed early on Saturdays because she pretended it was her 'delivery night', however almost everypony knew it was for her to get some 'Beauty Sleep' as she put it. As was expected Twilight had her face buried in a book, while Spike was clearing up after her; Rarity had always felt a little sorry for Spike, having to constantly clean up after the messy bookworm that Twilight was, for all of Twilight's apparent organised routines, she couldn't keep her home clean to save her life. When Rarity had come to the door, it was Spike who answered, she asked him if Twilight was in, but when Spike had seen Rarity at the door, all he could manage to say was "y-R-but-uhm-beaut-mane," Rarity chuckled at this, and took Spike's incoherent mumblings as a yes and entered the Library, leaving the starry-eyed dragon staring into space.

Immediately she saw Twilight reading a book titled 'Caring for Fillies 101', as Rarity saw this she realised that Twilight had to keep an eye on the Cutie Mark Crusaders tonight, because somehow Pinkie had managed to drop the responsibility directly onto Twilight after losing to Rarity earlier on. "Hello? Twilight?" said Rarity in her affected accent, startling Twilight and causing her to drop the textbook she was busy reading.

"Oh, hi there Rarity" said Twilight as she greeted her friend as politely as she could in the mood she was in.

"I need to ask you about Quinnston Caroustanza" said Rarity, before Twilight start a conversation about anything else.

"Oh, erm do you mean the new stallion who has moved in down the street from you? I don't know much about him but Rainbow might, I'm not really one for fashion"

"Talk to Rainbow?" asked Rarity muttering to herself, "I expect I will have to..."

"Wait Rari-" Twilight started speaking too late because Rarity was already heading off to Whitetail Wood, where she was sure that Rainbow would be napping.


Just as Rarity had expected, she found Rainbow asleep in the lower branches of a tree in Whitetail Wood, snoring loudly. Rarity, couldn't wake up Rainbow by simply asking her to wake up, so instead she started talking to herself about the Wonderbolts in a hushed voice, and before she knew it Rainbow fell out off the tree, quickly stood up and started asking about the conversation that had seemingly been going on. "Wonderbolts?" said Rarity, trying to stifle her laughter, the rainbow maned pegasus did not seem happy with the trick.

"What do you want Rarity?" said Rainbow petulantly.

"Rainbow, I am very sorry for wakening you, but I simply must know something about Quinnston, as he may start selling the same things that I do; this wouldn't help me because even though I seem busy, business is slow at the moment"

It was Rainbow's turn to stifle her laughter,

Rarity thinks that she will have to compete with 'Quinny'? He'll outsell her within a week! Rainbow thought.

"Rainbow Dash!" said Rarity again, "can you please tell me about him!" she exaggerated the please too much and Rainbow Dash took it the wrong way.

"What do you wanna know about him?" giggled Rainbow, "you like him?"

Rarity immediately blushed "NO! I mean... no" she replied as she tried to regain her composure, "I simply wish to know why I have never heard of him, and what you meant by accessories." Even though she thought she knew the answers to these questions, she asked Rainbow anyway for confirmation, because as always, Rarity was Rarity and she liked to be thorough.

"Heh," muttered Rainbow, "okay, you've probably not heard of 'Quinny' 'cause he likes to keep quiet about his designs outside of Cloudsdale, 'cause there aren't any other pegasi that make any sort of clothing." Rainbow carried on talking for some time, Rarity was barely listening as she fussed about Rainbow's unkempt appearance.

"That explanation seems adequate, and I think you have already explained enough about his style for me to know what you mean by accessories," interrupted Rarity before Rainbow could carry on her seemingly endless ramblings about 'Quinny'. "Thank-you for your help Rainbow Dash."

"No problem?" Rainbow replied with a hint of mock tiredness in her voice. With this comment Rarity trotted away back to Ponyville.

"Oh Yeah! Nap time!" said Rainbow to herself, and she returned to her tree.