• Published 20th Feb 2015
  • 227 Views, 4 Comments

Alpha Elysium - ZeroCore



A trip into a serene, comforting imagination

  • ...
 4
 227

Spires

Hmm, I see you've been looking at those spires a lot since we got here. How about we go over to one? Follow me! I know a short route through this foliage.

Don't mind the bubbles, they're just drifting about in the breeze around here. I hope you remember how to use them! We'll need them once we get to the nearest travel spire.

Oh? That's right! I forgot to mention. I'll fill you in as we go along. Those spires are there as a means of traveling around from one place to another. You just hop in a bubble, float up to the ring in the spire's center, and then think of where you want to go. Nudge your bubble into the spire's loop and then, WOOSH! You sail off from one spire to another until you get to your destination!

*pant... pant...*

Whew! We must have been walking for at least half an hour now. Well, at least the vegetation is a more normal size here.

Are you thirsty, by any chance? Well then, allow me!

*taps a plant*

Ta-da! I hope you don't mind the glittery effect; remember, this is a realm of pure magic, so it tends to be a bit flashy. But anyway, just go ahead and gently tap on the nearest plant leaf you see that looks like this. Remember, the plants with the big, broad leaves will help you when you need them.

That's it, just go ahead and tap them whilst thinking of what you need to have, and, yes! That's how it's done! Ah, a bottle of spring water. Not a bad decision either. Remember, the plants don't produce necessarily what you want, but more so what you need, as long as it helps you and doesn't hurt you. No nasty tricks here!

Heh, that reminds me of a time when I brought a young pegasus mare here. She wanted to know what it was like to be in contact with nature like the ponies of this realm but she was too afraid to tap the plants. She thought that they'd take her wings away and make her into an Earth pony!

Heheh, not in an eternity!

I managed to stifle a laugh, but I gently managed to talk her into it. She tapped the plant, and instead of winding up as another breed, wound up with a hoof bracelet that let her feel the land in the same way an Earth type would. Hoo-hoo, was she thrilled at that, and the look of relief as she flapped her wings around...

Ah, but no-no, the plants here only give, never take.

That reminds me; you had an odd look on your face when you came in here and saw all the different ponies of this place all together. Is it really such an odd thought to think that ponies of all sorts, Earth, Pegasus, Unicorn, and Alicorn, could exist as equals?

Hm... What a shame that is...

Ah, well, anyway, we can talk about that later, if you wish. For now, let's go on to those spires you looked so curious about earlier—wait, what are you doing?

Tapping the plant again, I see? What are you wishing fo—wait! Don't tell me! I want to find out! I'll put a hoof over my eyes. Now, now don't tell me... Hmm.... what could it be that you wish for... hm.... Could it be... a map? A camera! No, no, hmm... You feel like you need to....

*poof!*

Oooh, I just can't resist

*removes hoof from over eyes*

An amulet? Well, the plants gave it to you, so it must be something at least a part of you thinks that you need, so...

Wait, weren't you a Unicorn a minute ago? Where did those wings on your back come from?!

Ah, AH! I see! A shifter amulet! Ha-ha! Very nice!

I see that story might have inspired you a bit, although I'm wondering why you would prefer shape shifting over—ah, well, it's not like you can't change back!

I suppose you'll want to give your new wings a test, won't you? Well then...

*poof!*

Allow me to join you!

*flaps wings*

What? You thought you were the only one with a curiosity to see how other ponies live? Ha! Goodness no! Anyway, off to the spires we go!

Just flap those wings and try to keep your balance. Yes, that's it, you're off the ground now... steady... and... Well well, just look at you! You're flying as if you'd been born in Cloudsdale! Wonderful!

Try to follow me now. That's it! Let's go!

The spire isn't more than a few miles away. I know it seems far, but trust me, it isn't. Just keep your balance and your hooves tucked in. Yes, that's it. Front hooves tucked in, back hooves stretched out behind you.

*woosh!*

Whoa! Careful now, thermal columns exist here too!

Ah, I suppose you're not familiar with those. Thermal columns, or thermals, are what happens when the sun warms a large area of air. When it heats up, it rises like steam off of a stove. If they get big enough, you can use them to stay up without even flapping that much. It's called gliding, or soaring.

Let's try gliding for a bit. It'll save some stress on your wings.

Just hold your wings outstretched and wait until you start rising.

*woosh!*

Yes, that's it! Hold on, I'll join you!

Yes! Wahoo! That's perfect!

Oh, I see you're circling round in the thermal column too? Brilliant! That's just how it's done! I'm lucky to have chosen a clever pony to accompany me to this place this time.

Anywho! Follow me, we're nearly there!

Just hold your wings outstretched for a bit more. Let's see if we can glide all the way there.

Ah, that's the feeling I was looking for. It's nice to just relax and glide every now and then. Oh? You think I've never done this before? Goodness no, I've had this amulet for years now! Don't think you're the only one to have that idea! Heh!

We're almost to the spire now. Hold on tight! We're going through the ring right about... now!

*zoom!*

Whoaoaoa! Haha! Quite the rush, isn't it!

Hold on, now, we're almost to where I thought us to! We should be there any—WHOA!

*thud*

Oof! Ugh, are you alright? You seem okay, that's good. I forgot to mention, if you're not ready for landing, occasionally you'll just get tossed out! Don't worry though, it's perfectly harmless; this land's magic won't let you take any damage from the impact.

Oh, speaking of magic, I see you've got your horn back, that's good. I was going to show you a few spells before we head... back...

*chuckles*

I see you've still got your wings too. I guess the fall must have addled your head a bit. Oh, wait, wait! Don't change just yet! You're an Alicorn now! I think this might be useful!

Hmm... yes... There we are! I see a few of the land's natives over that way. Perhaps this would be a good opportunity for you to learn that just because one may be a regal-looking pony doesn't mean that they need to be excluded or put up on a pedestal and worshiped, even if they do happen to be eternally young even without this land's magic.

*waves to distant ponies*

Just a moment, I'll go and get them if you wish. Trust me when I say this, they're very friendly and wouldn't hurt a fly. I think you could have a good time with them. I'll go get them now. Feel free to catch a breath in the mean time.