• Published 17th Feb 2015
  • 3,271 Views, 31 Comments

Equestrian scrolls I : epic pony tales - Sanguine Eyes



Like with most artifacts linking to other worlds, this odd obsidian mirror is just as dangerous and strange as the others. Only when it utterly refuses to allow Twilight to return home to equestria she must place her faith in some not so kind friends

  • ...
16
 31
 3,271

Chapter 15: Worlds War Battle [remastered v2.0]

Worlds War Battle

Arrows notched and pulled back as strong muscle bound arms and keen talented eyes took hold of targets, a full Pegasus formation quickly scattered out of the way as the heavy volley launched skewering the dragon they were just harassing. The formation quickly reformed and moved on like fluid lightning

With all her armies out, Princess Melody’s forces could have easily been taken down by Equestria’s armies and her allies, though the scenario would have been impossible without Tarmiel’s magic. Though here and now, they had every able bodied pony in Equestria, half of the Griffin kingdom, scattered forces of the surrounding nations wanting in on the battle, dozens of Tamrielian mercenaries as well as small armies from Skyrim, the Empire, Elswyer, Hammerfel, Daggerfall, Morrowind, and that was just the main body of the army that had been mustered under the dragon born and the old leaders of Equestria. Even had Princess Melody’s forces all been present they would have likely been overrun by these new nations allied with Equestria.

Almost all but her dragons were left, the few infantry ponies who didn't leave to chase the decoy armies were rapidly surrendering or dying. The dragons though, enslaved through Bronze Armor’s magic had no choice but to fight to the death. But lowering the enemies numbers was not truly about making the battle easier, it was strictly to spare the lives of as many ponies as possible, and it worked well. The united forces of Tamriel and Equestria had lost less than a tenth of their forces by the time the walls fell to the overwhelming onslaught.

All was going well above and outside, but within the Crystal throne room, Oblivion and Tartarus had collided.

The great axe plunged into the thick shadows with the sickly squelch as the dark magic defended the flesh of the large Alicorn. Arrows pincushioned the protective shadows around his eyes, he had to cycle the shadows rapidly, flowing the physical shadows in a rapid current just to keep his vision clear. But Ra’Shala would not let him rest so easily, magical seals opened rapidly summoning full quivers of Dragon bone arrows slick with poison for her rapid use.

Fire, ice and lightning burned away rapidly at the dark magical defenses, Bronze Armor hardly had a second's rest from the powerful magic slamming him about. He was left blind and tumbling through a chaotic battlefield, even with his tremendous power he could hardly keep up against the Dargonborn assault. Worst of all was Baldir’s heavy axe blasting into the shadow defenses splattering the magical power like it was the flesh of an overripe fruit. Each blow from the massive gray furred werewolf sent the Alicorn sprawling even more. His whole life, the magically dominated soul was used as a weapon, a blunt instrument to bash the population into obedience, as powerful as he was, he had never been trained for combat and was helpless against the three veterans who's only struggle was peeling back his magical shielding power to actually inflict damage to his body.

A blast of fire knocked Bronze Armor back, his wings whipped out as his magic flared to keep him in place just in time for a savage overhead strike which he barely foresaw, shifting his magic up to catch the massive blow firmly his vacant eyes grew wider as claws punched through the thinned magic and dug through his flesh and under the magical restraining collar that kept his will bound to Melody. His magic burned as the programmed reaction quickly brought magic to fight off the grip which is where he took four arrows in quick succession in his back. Had Bronze Armor been capable of thought, he would be able to see how the three old warriors were systematically leading his every move, guiding him into an easy defeat.

Melody spat angrily as her power flared, her words filled with venomous intent. “Well then Auntie, you certainly know how to make a mare feel important. All my troops scattered, ALL of Equestria and more, gathered up to take me down. And these… THINGS you bring from another world, and a whole other dragon army to match my own. I would say you lived up to your legend but the legends say you were some petty child of a princess that barely even understood her own power.” She sneered as her magic pulsed to life reaching out. A polearm lifted gently into place from the rack behind the young looking princess before spinning rapidly. With a sudden blast of power she rocketed forward blurring her weapon down at twilight just before a deep blue translucent saber blocked the heavy weapon.

“We think not you despicable thing!” Luna’s magic burned dark, her deep emotional pain betrayed her as she faced down the mare who killed her sister. Her usual deep blue magic flared and sparkled with darkness as her livid rage tempted her dark powers to come to the surface. “You are nopony to talk fool, you deceived your way to your throne of cowardice. You struck only when back’s were turned and eyes were blinded, and even now you do not have the power to face us. You leave that to your brother and your petty charms…” Luna’s sabers slashed in a perfect circular design, but the blades sparked off the magical barrier imbued into Melody's armor and trinkets, yet still the power behind the wrathful princes's blows staggered the mare back.

Melody caught herself and pushed into the air before she laughed “Nice try, these are wards that protect me from even the strongest of Equestrian magic, I learned them from Starswirl the Bearded’s own library. As for you though, I don’t care what some relic of the past thinks. I am the only princess this world will know, and when I am done with you, I will move to rule all of this other world you foolishly opened to me” She grinned slowly settling back just a small distance away as she looked over the angry Luna. "You and your ilk... worthless over privileged relics, your time has come and gone, the past will die, I will be the one to kill it!"

There was a magical crackle of power and a flap of powerful wings as the pin on Twilight’s robes flared. A human fist smashed Melody square in the face. As the Alicorn recoiled the now human form of Twilight moved just fast enough. Combined with the shock of seeing what Melody could only imagine was a new player on the field and the swat in the face her guard was down just enough to catch Twilight’s staff in the face. Lightning blasted through her body from the staff, digging into her flesh straight past her heavy wards. She painfully grit her teeth and yelped in pain she staggered back onto what looked like a circle with an elaborate design of magical energies. She had only a moment to stare before it exploded with freezing energies, again her wards did nothing to prevent the magic from smashing the wind out of her from beneath and chilling her armor so much that the small touch of blood that trickled out of her flash froze against it.

Twilight glared, her power surging as she advanced. “You forget niece. I've been in another world for over two hundred years. I have far more than Equestrian magic. That and your little charms wont keep me from simply battering the living Tartarus out of you.” She shifted on her feet and smiled.”Now, how about you taste Tamriel’s finest destruction magic you petty little coward.” Before she began her assault anew she gave a firm snap of her fingers a sickly purple glow erupted over Luna’s head and swords summoned forth from Oblivion. Quickly Luna grasped the blades and renewed her assault, these new blades ignoring the Equestrian wards.

Melody’s eyes widened and her confidence faltered. She quickly spun her blade about to counter the new magical threat, spinning rapidly to dissipate magical flames and hold back frosty gales of wind. Her blade shot out quickly at Twilight’s face only to miss as the princess of friendship shrank down into pony form again. Twilight’s staff swung and battered against the polearm Princess Melody threw around. Though with every clash, lightning leaked through and burned its way up her magical streams to touch her body. It did not take long before she was badly out of breath and the glow off her horn was weakened.

“W...what is this?... you cheated!” Her teeth ground together as she stared daggers at Twilight and Luna. Luna’s lips turned to a smile as her notched horn glowed brighter turning the blades over.

“Maybe I should have mentioned my dear niece, Tamriel has lived through countless wars, every ages bringing new magical weapons and wars against their foes. Had Equestria fought as much as them, we would have war magic dozens of millenia more advanced. But, there's this interesting thing with the lightning elements of Tamrielian destruction magic, their lightning magic drains your magical energies. You are being bled dry with every last strike.” Both Twilight and Luna stepped forward turning their weapons to and fro as they crouched, watching carefully for Melody's stance to change in reaction. She had to pause a moment and admire Luna's form, perhaps combat was indeed something Equestrian nobility had learned.

A sudden ear splitting blast and scream broke their focus, Melody’s eyes went from fear stricken to awestruck as words loosely spilled from her agape mouth. “Impossible…”

With a hearty roar Baldir’s powerful clawed hands tore the magic collar straight from Bronze Armor’s neck. He was covered head to tail in cuts and dark bruises but finally his vacant eyes filled with sickly burning hatred as the dark magic halted it's controlled and filtered state. Flowing freely his power flared out even greater than before. He threw Baldir off and roared loud enough to shake the Crystal halls.

“I knew this could get better.” Baldir panted shifting back before downing a large potion and shifting the position of his odd ring. He threw his head back and roared nearly matching Bronze Armor. His flesh contorted once again and he called upon Hircine’s blessing to return him to his hunter’s form. He was not the only one clearly unfinished in his fight, Taara and Ra'Shala too readied up and the direction the day was going was made even more clear.

With eyes focused elsewhere, Melody leaped forward swinging her blade at Twilight. If she was going to lose everything here she would at least take the one who brought her defeat down with her. But as she lunged, only the sound of flesh under the cutting edge of a blade sounded, loudly screams echoed in the crystal hall as a horn was clipped and a wing fell off an Alicorn’s back.

Melody firmly pressed against Twilight who was once again in human form, Conjuration magic flared at her fingertips pushing against the breastplate of Melody’s armor. Luna’s eyes narrowed and a grin spread over her face. The blades coated in Alicorn blood she stared down at the mare. “Hurts doesn't it? I remember when you did it to me…” Luna's seething power punctuated the action as she flicked Melody's blood from her blades with one swift motion.

Melody gasped, the pain rocked through her body but nothing could explain the sickly feeling inside her, there was a loud crackle, like a match igniting on the inside of her ears. She could feel it. The pain from her horn and wing was unbearable but she felt so cold. Twilight’s hand drew back and she could see something gushing from that very spot. Out of her body something flowed right into a dark dimly glowing crystal in Twilight’s left hand.

“Its over Melody… Do you feel it? That is your soul, leaking out. That cold empty hollow feeling?" Twilight's eyes locked with Melody's, the emotion was distant and cold. Her lips parted, almost whispering to the princess. "With this level of magic, you needn't die. After I tear your soul out I will bury it in the deepest depths of Tartarus. You will NEVER feel the light again…”

Just as Twilight seemed to foretell the light was leaving her vision, her body was growing more and more void of magical power. She had never heard of such a spell, to steal a soul. But she knew what she had to do, and she had to do it quickly.

Her horn still notched, her charms flared up to supplement her failing magic and her failing life force. With a blink she zapped herself away, pulling from Twilight's grasp and over to Bronze Armor, embracing her rampaging brother she instantly soaked in the dark sickly magic. Eating it up, it filled her with powerful energies pushing into her to fill the void where her soul had been partially drained. The power was so immense that Twilight’s spell slowly halted. The overwhelming power trickled out of Melody, but still had her mind even if it was quickly being overpowered as she soaked in all the darkness. Bronze Armor’s cutie mark faded and vanished as Melody’s eyes went vacant then narrowed, filled with boiling darkness magic. She smiled baring teeth which sharpened into fangs. Her horn reformed and her missing wing replaced itself with pure shadows.

“How about now Auntie?... you so sure of yourself? Your magic gave me the chance to finally take my brother’s power, what say you now? My control with my brother’s power, we will rival even the darkest of darkness. There is nothing left in this world or your friend’s world that can stand up to my power…”

“Oh REALLLLLY” A booming cheery voice rocked the Crystal Citadel. “Poor sweet petty mortal, I do love your mind in this state, but a new friend tells me you are not quite as much fun as you seem.” A massive human like hand blasted through the crystal walls and grasped Melody with a grip like steel. The ceiling gave way and a massive old man in fancy dress. Half red and half purple, his white beard trimmed neatly he smiled at the pony that was dwarfed in his massive hands. She craned her neck whipping her horn blasting dark magic at him. He laughed as the thick stream of magic turned to nothing but cheese. “Magical ponies… a whole world of magical ponies. This is the most fun I have had in an age!... Or two!”

His booming laughter nearly drowned out the three dragon born, most quickly retreated as Taara stared in disbelief.

“... What in Oblivion? Sheogorath? what are you doing here?”

“Oh dontcha know already? You got my attention with all that damaging my staff, and so I was sittin in new Sheoth when I figured I want to go and talk to the purple talking pony again, but you… youuuuuuuuuuu little purple horse…. you never told me you had a fellow as fine as this one here”

His other hand extended and Discord happily popped into existence dancing happily in Sheogroath’s palm with the Wabajack. “Twilight! you should have told me of this fine gentleman, He is twice as entertaining than anypony I have EVER even laid eyes on…”

Melody screamed angrily, her power flared brightly. “SHUT UP YOU GIBBERING FOOLS I AM A GOD, UNHOOF ME!” Her power burned with a pitch darkness as she screamed, her new immense powers screamed with her until Sheogorath stared deeply into her savage eyes.

“Poor wee beastie, you are a sad petty little mortal thing! don't confuse yourself with real power… heh” He grinned wide and brought her up before biting down and swallowing her whole. There was a magical flash and he appeared between the dragonborn at a normal size happily prancing about in a silly dance with Discord.

“Oh goodness this land is amazing… but you know what it could use?” Sheogorath's happy voice chimed in question.

Discord's wings fluttered as he picked up just barley off the ground. “Chocolate rain? I use that here and there or at least I used to.”

The mad god chuckled at the prospect but shook his head. “I was going to say crumpets, and cheese… FOR EVERYONE!”

“Why not both?” The Draconequus offered.

“Oh you beautiful genius, you have just GOT to come visit new Sheoth.”

“Oh I have just the place to show you, I have not been there in ages but come, I can tidy up later” They both vanished in a flash leaving the princesses and the three dragonborn stunned and confused.

“... Twilight… what just happened?” Luna looked over at Twilight with grave confusion in her eyes.

“I think… Discord accidentally summoned the Daedric God of madness and… befriended him.” Twilight's expression was as blank as she was confused, and that was to say it was very blank.

Taara’s magical power flicked to a low point as she collapsed into a tired gasping heap. Baldir returned to his human form pulling his torn clothes and armor into a knot to keep them from falling below his waist. Ra’Shala calmly sat down next to an exhausted and near dead male Alicorn stripped of all his power, gently petting him.

The realization settled on them and twilight muttered. “We won, Gods above, we won… “ Twilight's power flared as she took to pony form and flew up through the roof screaming as loud as her lungs would allow. “VICTORY! Equestria is FREE!!”

The land erupted into a massive blast of cheer and rejoicing. Celebration already rang out in the streets. Applejack yipped and hollered loudly in celebration as loud as rowdy as her old bones would let her. Spike roared on Paarthurnax’s back as they joined in. Derpy’s Pegasus infantry reveled loudly with the Wonderbolts. Rainbow Dash looking to the sky with tears of relief and joy. Back in the cave, Princess Fluttershy watched through her alicorn magic, everypony watching with her reveling in the glory of the victory over tyranny. Pinkie and Maud stood looking to the sky as Luna rose her sister's sun bathing the land in a new light.


A purple hoof touched the crystal staring in at Cadence sleeping soundly, magically suspended within the Crystal. “A new age dawns here in Equestria. Freedom has returned, Light blots out the darkness and we can finally see. I am home, I am finally, truly home and we are free.”