• Published 17th Feb 2015
  • 3,261 Views, 31 Comments

Equestrian scrolls I : epic pony tales - Sanguine Eyes



Like with most artifacts linking to other worlds, this odd obsidian mirror is just as dangerous and strange as the others. Only when it utterly refuses to allow Twilight to return home to equestria she must place her faith in some not so kind friends

  • ...
16
 31
 3,261

Chapter 4: Oh the magic of alcohol...err friendship [remastered v2.0]

Oh the magic of alcohol...err friendship

The first ten minutes was spent in front of a bipedal green man with an under bite, he seemed so old he might have just been feeble. Those ten minutes were spent with him telling her all the horrible things he would do to her or spike if they damaged even a single book. However, she was not frightened, quite on the contrary she was enthused. Finally somepony who cared about books as much as her. Only Twilight was not quite as willing to leap to violence over minor damage to books. The following two or so minutes were exploring the small library that was simply a plethora of books and knowledge. Twilight knew she would eventually feel legitimately sad when it finally came time to leave this world to return to Equestria. These books were so detailed and filled with so very much she did not know it nearly drove her mad that she would likely not be able to read them all.

The next few hours however certainly made for a new experience. Taara leaned quickly that Spike ate gemstones and along with a few other mages gave him more than he could possibly eat in a single day and watched him before returning to Twilight to learn all about her, Which is where her love of history proved very useful. She eagerly shared with them her surplus of pony knowledge of history and even biology and Zoology . Every scrap of information she gave, the mages eagerly wrote down. Then came the part she was very new to; alcohol was not something that she had really ever ventured into. She had taken extensive notes on her own. most of which came from observations on Celestia who drank very responsibly. However the consensus of this group was apparently in tune with the theme of the country it was in. When in good company drink well for the enjoyment of drinking. Twilight almost felt like she would be insulting somepony if she didn't partake in the drinking. And so it began and she partook in her first ever drink of alcohol. The first few went down easy, she quite enjoyed the fruity taste of the exotic liquors of Tamriel. But she drank only just enough to put her on the edge, remembering Celestia's expertise in moderation. Of course this included her trying to spew a ten minute long calculation of body weight, youth, alcohol content, general tolerance and any other possible factor. But one of the older Nord mages named Onmund, who told her to just wing it. According to Taara she was the exact same way when she first drank. Trying to figure it all out as if it made any difference.

And hence things proceeded rather smoothly, Spike was full and happily groaning, belly full of gemstones, a passed out dark elf woman with her notes on how amazing it was that a creature of spike's size could simply eat Diamonds. Taara, Ra'shala, and Twilight were the only ones still awake swapping stories and sharing tales. Taara was extremely interested in her adventures and did not at all for some odd reason find it odd that she was the princess of "friendship". It was a little off putting that the old mage showed significantly more interest in magical artifacts like the elements of harmony than the adventures themselves. But again this was a different world, she knew from the start that she could not expect somepony else to live or value things by her standards.

"Arch mage!...wh..*hic* what was...that thing...I keep hearing about...the...wassit?...the three?..." She was not severely drunk but she was just enough to seem to stumble with her words and feel the full on buzz.

"Oh?...the legendary three?...heh.. well princess.." she imphasized the word letting Twilight know she liked being called Arch mage just about as much as Twilight enjoyed being called Princess. "You see...the legendary three are myself...ol Ra'shala here.." she playfully nudged the Khajiit who was surprisingly sober while no one gave her any troubles about not drinking. "And the foul smelling bone head Nord that found you....Baldir....to really understand it...you have to go back a few dozen years...."

Taara cleared her throat as those who had not passed out listened up. Either tradition or that the tale was not told very often. either way Twilight was going to hear it and was eager. "Once upon a time....35 years or so ago...there was a man...named Ulfric Stormcloak. Now he was not a good man nor was he a bad man. He had attributes that made him a little of both. He was nosy, racist, greedy, power hungry, and uncaring about those he saw as neutral to his plans. However, he was also extremely patriotic. He valued the old ways of tradition and had an undying overwhelming love for his countrymen. His country and his brothers in arms were twice as important to him than even his own life. He would have died for his beliefs in a second, without even a moment's hesitation."

Taara grinned looking about until she found a half empty bottle of wine and downed it with a happy smile before she continued.

"Now...I came from Daggerfall into Cyrodiil and was coming into skyrim to start a new life for myself, Ra'shala had come straight from Elsweyr, young and happy to finally go on a trip to see the world, and Baldir....no one quite knows what Baldir was doing or why he was crossing the same border at the same time as us. Only that he smelled just as bad and was just as ugly back then!" Ra'shala laughed and leaned back a little happily.

"Now it was about the time we had all started to head into skyrim that Ulfric Stormcloak was doing something very distasteful. Remember I told you he greatly valued the Nord way of life?...aye...well the empire in Cyrodiil was due to the elves in the Summerset Isles trying to over rule Nordic law with Imperial law. What was against the law there and legal here was slowly becoming illegal here as well. Mainly the Nord's ability to freely worship their God Talos. I would go into detail on that but there is about seven or eight books on that here in the library. But to the point most of Skyrim was very upset with this and all the more traditional nords wanted to rebel against the Empire and separate making Skyrim its own independent country. The first big step to this was competent leadership. At the time a man named High king Torygg ruled over Skyrim." Twilight's eyes were so focused and her smile almost hurt the corners of her mouth. Most of the candles had burned away but that made the story all the better for her.

"Torygg was a good king, but he was content letting the empire rule Skyrim instead of the Nords. Many, including Ulfric took this as a show that to Torygg, the Empire was more important than his own people. So as per old Nord tradition Ulfric challenged Torygg in noble one on one combat for the seat of high king. Now remember, Ulfric's motives may have had some good intentions but most believe the reason he challenged Torygg was simply because he, again...was greedy and power hungry. Torygg was no pushover, he was rightfully high king and accepted the duel in the old way. However, Ulfric... lets just say was a lot more than he could handle. Using his Thu'um it is said that Ulfric destroyed Torygg in a single blast. However unfair the duel was Ulfric had rightfully won the mantle of high king. However!! again the empire did not take too kindly to Skyrim's old king that was very very friendly to them being killed and replaced by someone who didn't like them at all. And so they were the first to declare the duel an assassination..."

"What?....that's not fair!" Twilight was surprised at how childish her own voice rang out and how she so quickly interrupted the story, she guessed it had a little to do with the booze. Though Taara did not seem to mind. "How can they justify overturning their laws like that? I mean yeah Ulfic sounded kinda like a jerk but the laws of Equestria never would apply to Saddle Arabia, nor their laws in Equestria."

Taara chuckled a little at the names but nodded. "Now you see this is the way most of the Nords felt. As if Skyrim had no rights to its own laws or traditions... And so instead of taking the mantle of high king Ulfric was chased out of the capital and hunted like a criminal by the empire. What little of his troops he did bring fought gallantly to prevent his capture. The empire was quick to kill off any of his supporters without mercy, wherever they found them. Now then...a day on the run and Ulfric and his remaining men stumbled into an Imperial ambush, surprise surprise so did three unlucky sods...Myself, Ra'shala who had gotten separated from her caravan, and Baldir. Not bothering to even figure out why we were crossing the border or giving us a chance to explain. The Imperial troops arrested us right along with Ulfric and took us to a small town called Helgen. One at a time the Empire began to execute Ulfric's men. And when the soldier called Ra'shala to the chopping block. I was afraid to see any more death when quite suddenly... for the first time in over an age, dragons returned to skyrim. After being extinct for generations upon generations upon generations. One black dragon tore through the town and by sheer luck and assistance of one of Ulfric's men... Ralof We all made it out alive... well... most of us. A lot of people were killed when the dragon attacked and more as the Empire cut down all of Ulfric's men as they ran for their lives. The following year was an excessively busy one. The three of us stuck together in a small dysfunctional family for a few months. I joined the College of Winterhold, Ra'shala went into Riften for some reason and Baldir joined the famous companions. Though we all had our own little adventures, a thing or two eventually crept up on all of us. We kept in contact the whole time, meeting up once and a while to swap stories...and eventually trouble came knocking. The civil war broke out, Ulfric intended to force out the Empire for its misdeeds to Skyrim and her people. It was actually Baldir who convinced us something had to be done. It was clear what side we had to join... I mean would you join a side that wants to erase all of someone else's laws, culture, and traditions for coin? Especially when your first interaction with them is their attempting to execute you simply because you exist? Surprisingly Ra'shala did not much want any part of the combat, but she helped out anyway just in the spirit of helping your friends out."

"So you guys all fought a war?...did you win?" Twilight's thoughts churned, She did not see any implications that this land was ruled by anyone but the big hearty Nords.

"Yes and no... I am a thinker and not really a fighter, granted no one ever wants to fight me. And so I came up with a plan. going from town to town I gathered and gathered until I had petitions and coin forward a resolution to the war. Baldir rallied every last man woman and child who wanted the war to end and Ra'shala pulled strings at a political level allowing for the peace meetings. Despite the bloodshed and the mysterious death of the emperor the next man in charge was very willing to call for peace. All together the people of Skyrim decided that Cyrodiil specific laws did not apply to Skyrim, nor did the people of Skyrim no matter how angry they were, they did not have any right to break their own laws. Under the condition that Skyrim remain at least a loose ally to the empire Ulfric would take his rightful place as high king and successfully recede Skyrim from the empire. All was well and happy to no end. Ulfric even married and had a child, We three were given very high positions within the high king's court. But then the unthinkable happened..."

Taara paused for effect and it worked, Twilight was on the edge of her seat, eyes wide.

"High king Ulfric was killed by the Thalmor... No challenge, no laws. They came in the day that I was stuck teaching at the college and Ra'shala was out doing her thing. The Thalmor came after FINALLY convincing Ulfric to let them have council, and this was a big thing because there was little if not then nothing that Ulfric hated more than the Thalmor. They came in talked for just a few moments before they outright opened a gate to Oblivion right there in the throne room. Daedra poured out and all the elves attacked along side the dark forces. Baldir and Ulfric alone ended all the threats but Ulfric perished at a single scratch left by an elven dagger poisoned with something that even I could not identify. He died a slow and agonizing death. But with his last breath he let his nation know that the coward elves treachery would not go unpunished. I had only just barely made it to his bedside to see the great king pass. Baldir, Ra'shala and myself all took to the battlefield. Leading all we had at our disposal and all that skyrim could offer. To the Thalmor's great surprise, every nation on Nirn seemed to rise up against them once the legendary three rose up against them. We gave them hope and with the might of every nation that hated the Thalmor we punched through their borders, officials, generals, and royalty alike died in their sleep in a mass wave of assassinations. Nordic soldiers pierced through even the most heavily guarded forts and sacked their precious cities. I lead the college of Winterhold along with the Cynod and the other nation's colleges into magical warefare against the Thalmor's greatest weapons. In just two short years the great war continued and was resolved."

Twilight noticed she was still on the edge of her seat and scooted back as Taara smiled happily. "But...what about the kingdom?...who ..err what happened?"

"Oh many wanted Baldir to become high king. at least until Ulfric's son came of age...But he refused. That was a dark time for us all. We were racked with pain and despair. Baldir blamed himself for failing to protect Ulfric. I myself felt responsible too. Ulfric... my own king was murdered while I was teaching some stuffy noble how to make potions."

The silent Khajiit spoke up with a sad tone to her voice. "This one was very upset as well...I should have been there for him. My words and actions helped him understand some things and he was all too grateful to give those who were seen as lesser for their race, a place to stay and even representatives in his court. He originally was very offensive, but he had a good heart under all that traditional Nord. Good enough to see that a true son or daughter of skyrim did not have to be a Nord."

Taara looked up as if thinking back in memory of all the good times. "well... in the end it was one of Ulfric's long time allies who took the throne and instantly forsake it the very second Ulfric's son became of age.... Goodness...so much happened since then... so so much..."

The door pushed open almost violently. "Yeah your old ass got even uglier stupid mage..." The foul smell of strong booze and even stronger body odor rolled through the room, the crass voice that intruded obviously belonged to Baldir. "You obviously forgot how we dominated the dragons....and how we killed Miraak....and the vampire menace."

"Those are other stories Baldir, we are just covering the question answered...but I am sure we can get to those lat-"

"Hey!..." The Nord was obviously a tad more drunk than Taara, this was made even more clear as he continued ranting. "Why the hell did you tell my men that I would only be paid in person?"

"Because I wanted to ask you why you killed all the people who were delivering my supplies from Cyrodiil" Her voice seemed very authoritative but more than that, very irritated.

"And I was wondering why you were ordering those witch elves to cross our boarders illegally with some stupid purple Daedra horse!" Twilight was about to say something but she did not get a chance.

"Know your place you fool! The war ended decades ago. Trespassing is not a crime worthy of death. Sure they were breaking the law but you did not need to kill them. Had they been Nords you would have ignored them completely!" Taara's figure seemed to glow slightly as her voice strained showing signs of anger.

Baldir mirrored her anger with a tad more aggression making the alicorn stumble off her chair and take shelter next to spike. Those around in the room started to wake hearing the raised voices. However, to her surprise they did not seem too worried. instead they just shuffled lightly behind the stone pieces of the room that offered cover.

"Whats going on? isnt anypony going to stop them?" The booze in her body gave her warmth and a nice fuzzy feeling but it did nothing to help make the aggressive arguing any better.

"Aye... first you have got to stop saying that, no one will ever take you serious, second they do this every time they meet up, thirdly, no one here or... well.. anywhere is brave enough to try and stop them." Twilight peaked out seeing that their yelling had only continued and seemed to climax as Taara, the older woman reeled back and headbutted the Nord. This quickly turned into a fist fight. Twilight felt the urge to go out and stop it but the ale in her system dulled her senses making her far more afraid for her own well being than worried about the two.

The fight however came to a quick stop the moment the drunk Nord reached back and grasped the axe on his back. "BALDIR!!!" Ra'shala's voice was easily ten times louder than Luna's royal Canterlot voice, the thought of some sort of sonic magic or sound based amplifications came to Twilight's mind. Ra'shala had literally sounded like thunder with a single word, and with that single word the big Nord hesitated before lowering his hand turning about and leaving as if shamed.

"Alright all of you, Bed time! Sleep it off and umm... Brelyna, show Twilight where she can sleep and give her a bucket., first timers always get a bad hangove." The mages all nodded in agreement and the same dark elf who was taking notes on Spike picked the overstuffed dragon up and lead Twilight deeper into the frozen halls, eventually she seemed rather happily showed Twilight to where she could sleep.

Being honest with herself, Twilight did not feel like sleeping, it was a lot of activity, so much learning, and a fear filled argument between friends that nearly ended in blood. Nothing about this was a sleeping moment. "Good night, and thank you all so much." Despite the problems Twilight could barely keep her eyes open. The conflict that seemed to ruin the evening still rang in her mind like a freshly struck bell. It hurt to see friends so openly violent, even before it got serious, this world and its collective cultures frightened her to no end. She did not want to sleep but at the moment she did not feel like she really had a choice.

"Don't mention it and don't worry about those two. They have been through a lot I am sure that arch mage Taara will give you a full tour and start on your problem bright and early tomorrow. Get some sleep."

Twilight's heart was a little more at ease. From what she could tell even just by looking around at how the building was put together and just what they had laying around, these mages were all extremely talented. She would even go as far as to say Starswirl the bearded's level of talent, but she thought it over. She would have no real way of telling if that were accurate. Either way she had high hopes of her ability to return to what she hoped desperately was her friends, her family, and her home.

Sleep began to crawl into the corners of her eyes and seemed to tug her eyes shut. Pulling the blankets over her to fend off the cold she sniffled trying to think of Ponyville. This place was dangerous and scary, but for the moment, she had no choice. It was her home.

Author's Note:

I hope its seen enough change. Enjoy ^_^