• Published 19th Feb 2015
  • 1,086 Views, 48 Comments

Fact or Fiction - Mocha Star



The land of Equestria, while having it's own dangers, is isolated from the rest of the world. The lands beyond Equestria aren't as peaceful as they may seem.

  • ...
32
 48
 1,086

PreviousChapters Next
32)Hail to the Chief of Police

Pinkie Pie was keeping shop at Sugar Cube corner. It was late at night and she was about to close up shop. She began turning off the lights and headed to the door to lock it up. She nearly jumped out of her skin when it burst open.

Gilda, covered in gashes and blood, stumbled through the doorway. Pinkie blinked at disbelief at the sight. She stared at the griffon. Gilda's back heaved up and down with strained shaky breath.

"Gilda, what are you doing here?" Pinkie asked with a raised eyebrow," Are you here to sell some of those things you baked in the Griffon Kingdom?"

Gilda was silent.

Pinkie stepped a little closer, her smile fading. Gilda rolled herself over, showing a fatal wound on her neck. Her eyes were bloodshot and watery. Pinkie stared at her, not sure what to say or do.

Gilda's beak opened slightly. She rose and hand and timidly motioned Pinkie to come closer. The pink mare walked all the way up until her ear was right up next to Gilda. The griffon put a hand on Pinkie's cheek.

"Tell everyone," Gilda croaked," Something horrible happened in the Griffon Kingdom...nopony's safe."

Pinkie pulled back. She laughed nervously,"This...this is a joke right, you're prankin' me right? Is this payback for all of those pranks you thought I did to you?" She asked desperately.

Gilda gasped for breath," It told me...t-the border, the border C-Celestia made..." Her hand slipped away from Pinkie's face,"...didn't work..."

Pinkie grabbed Gilda's shoulders," Stop messing around Gilda! This isn't funny!"

Gilda's eyes became dull. Pinkie began shaking. One of her friends was dying on her doorstep and she couldn't believe it.

"No, no no no..." Pinkie panicked," This can't be happening, this can't be happening!" She stepped away from Gilda," I, I can fix this! I'll go get help, don't worry Gilda! I'll get help!"

Pinkie bolted out of the doorway, blinking away tears. She raced to Twilight's castle as fast as her legs could carry her. She nearly ran into the door once she reached it. Though it was late she pounded on the door and hollered. When there was no answer she did it again, louder.

A very frumpy looking Twilight answered the door. She looked tiredly at Pinkie," What's going on, Pinkie?"

Pinkie Pie bit her lip," Twilight, I need your help with something..."

"Can't it wait until morning?" Twilight sighed.

"It's Gilda, she just showed up at Sugar Cube Corner," Pinkie blurted," She's hurt really, really bad. She needs our help, now!"

Twilight rubbed some sleep from her eyes. Her horn glowed and both her and Pinkie teleported to the shop's front door in a flash.

Twilight yawned," This better not be a... prank..." Her voice trailed off when she saw Gilda.

Gilda was still laying on the floor in the doorway. Her body was still, her eyes still looking out into space. Twilight rushed to Gilda's side.

"Gilda! Gilda, are you alright?" Twilight cried," Gilda answer me, please!"

Both Twilight and Pinkie Pie looked at Gilda. They had never seen anyone looking like how their broken friend looked. They had never seen a dead face before.

Twilight had a letter sent to Celestia of the news. Within the hour help was sent. Among a dozen Lunar guard ponies was Volm. The blue creature was wearing a dull brown jacket that made him look like a detective. The guards made a parameter around the area while Volm saw to the mares. They were sitting outside, not sure how to handle the situation. Volm had blankets to keep them warm from shock and conjured hot-chocolate.

"Are you alright?" Volm asked Pinkie Pie gently," I know how you two must feel..."

Twilight blew at her mug," Y-you can save her right? Gilda will be okay?"

Volm looked at them with a sigh," I'll try my best princess, I'll try my best."

He left them and headed for the door. He looked behind him and waved. From out of the darkness of the street came Wednesday. The figure slid over to the shop and followed Volm inside, holding something long under his arm. The two mares sat in dread waiting. Though it was only a few minuets, for Pinkie and Twilight it seemed forever.


Volm and Wednesday came out. Pinkie Pie and Twilight's hearts skipped a beat when they came out. The mares looked for Gilda to be walking out along with them, fit as a fiddle.

She did come out, not as they imagined though. Wednesday was pushing a gurney. On top of the bed was a dark bag filled with something. Pinkie Pie jumped in front of the gurney and blocked Wednesday. Her eyes were full of tears as she looked at Volm.

"What happened to Gilda?" She shouted," What's wrong with her!?"

Volm walked up to her as Wednesday walked around her, carrying away Gilda. Volm put his hands over Pinkie Pie's shoulders," I don't really know how to tell you this..."

"Tell me!" Pinkie cried," I'm not a foal, don't leave me in the dark!"

Volm sighed," Your friend Gilda, she's..." He pursed his lips as if to calculate his words," She's dead. I hope I'm not right about what killed her..."

Pinkie Pie pulled herself away," No! No this isn't right, this isn't fair!"

" Pinkie listen!" Volm said grabbing her again," We have to be on the lookout now, or else more griffons, maybe even ponies will end up like Gilda."

Pinkie lay her head on Volm's chest. Her shoulders began to shiver. Volm hugged her gently as she began to sob.

"Volm? What do we do now?" Twilight asked.

Volm patted Pinkie's shoulder," Now? Now we take Gilda's body to a hospital. As of tomorrow, we go find whatever did this and put it to justice."

Pinkie Pie was limp and crying in Volm's arms. With one hand he reached into his pocket," Here Pinkie, eat this. It will help you calm down, okay?'

Pinkie held her mouth open in acceptance. Volm placed a green fruit on her tongue and closed her quivering lips gently. She chewed softly and swallowed between sniffles. After a few seconds she looked droopy and sleepy. She turned into jelly in the blue creature's arms. Volm stood up on his hind legs and hoisted Pinkie up to get a better grip on her.

"What did you do to her?" Twilight asked with worry.

"Not to worry princess," Volm chirped," I gave her a natural sedative. She'll be out for awhile, it'll help her cope until the trauma has passed," He shifted Pinkie Pies weight as if he was holding an infant," Now what I need you to do, princess, is get some rest. The Lunar Guard will escort you home and see to your needs."

He began walking down the street Wednesday went down.

"Wait!" Twilight pleaded.

Volm turned," Yes, your highness? What else do you need?"

Twilight shivered," Who did that to Gildia," she gulped down a lump in throat," who k-killed her?"

Volm sighed," Something from across the sea. The way the lacerations looked from what I saw; it was a Lepuric. It may be too late for the Griffon Kingdom."


The next evening, out in Sweet Apple Acres, the Cutie Mark Crusaders and their friend Tuff were galloping between apple trees in a game of tag. The four young equines were playing under the watchful eye of Applejack as she checked her orchard. The children didn't notice it but Applejack did, a deflated Pinkie Pie slowly walked through the Sweet Apple Acres gate. Applejack ran to see what was wrong.

Tuff slowed to see what was going on. He couldn't hear what the mares were saying but he knew something was wrong. Apple Bloom came up beside him," Is somethin' wrong with Pinkie Pie?"

Sweetie Bell eyed the pair as well," Hey, she looks pretty sad. Wonder what happened."

They saw Applejack take her hat off in shock. She hugged her friend tightly who gave a weak hug back. The young equines looked to each other for advice. When the two mares went inside the farmhouse they backed away.

"Did we forget Pinkie Pie's birthday again?" Scootaloo asked.

"No, that's not for months!" Apple Bloom said,"Besides, she was the saddest shade of pink I've ever seen."

"Should we go see what's wrong?" Tuff asked.

Before any of them could agree a puff of smoke appeared near the door. It was Volm. He wore something similar to a royal guard vest and a very solemn expression. He sighed deeply and then knocked on the door.

Big Mac opened the door with a stony look on his face. The Crusaders couldn't hear a word between them. Volm backed away after he was done talking and left as quickly as he came. Big Mac looked around outside," Fillies, get back inside," He called with a worried tone.

The foals ran to the house, just as confused as Big Mac. Once inside they couldn't help but ask about what the Volm had said.

"Adult businesses," Big Mac said," Just, play inside for a while, alright?"

The foals nodded, waving to him as they headed upstairs to Apple Bloom's room. Tuff, however, stayed up a the top of the staircase out of eyesight.

"...startin' a what now?" he heard Applejack say.

"A curfew," Big Mac said dryly.

"Why in the hay would we need that?" Granny Smith grumbled," Even when the ol Timber Wolves were at their worst, we didn't have somthin' like that."

There was a silence, "It's different now," Pinkies voice said sadly," There's something... something awful out there. It k-killed Gilda" Tuff heard the once happy mare begin to sob.

Tuff backed away from the stairs. A look of denial was on his young face. If only his aunt was here, she'd have a plan. He looked behind him where the Crusaders waited out of sight. He was sure they'd be hysterical if they heard the news. He listened back to the adults.

"There's something else told me," Big Mac sighed," He's setting up something tomorrow, a group of some nature at the train station."

"He's taking guards out to Griffon Stone?" Applejack gasped," What if that...thing is still out there?"

"He said he'd fight it best he could," The farm pony said," He's plenty strong, even we don't know what he can do."

"Hopefully he's taking the Lunar guard," Grandma Smith sniffed," They're better at fightin' things anyway."

Tuff shook his head. In his few years he had seen plenty of battles, witnessed Pea Gravel defend him life and limb. Nopony here seemed like the kind that could stand up to a full fledged monster, one that kills.


The foals had spent the night at the farm house. Applejack and Big Mac woke up the Crusaders at near the crack of dawn. The three fillies were groggy and irritable from being awake at such an hour but Tuff sprung up like a spring flower. After a small breakfast the Crusaders followed Applejack and Big Mac with heavy hooves. They made their way to the train station to see who was leaving.

When they got near the station, they saw crowds of ponies. Parents were hugging their strong sons and brave daughters while stern faced ponies walked in the train. The crowd was so dense the Crusaders climbed up on Big Mac to get a better view. Ponies by the dozens were going on the trains.

"What's going on?" Apple Bloom asked, the commotion worrying her.

"Did something bad happen?" Sweetie Bell pried at the red farm pony.

Big Mac nodded. The train was nearly full and whistles began blowing. The conductor called for the last to board for Canterlot. Ponies waved as the train engine blared and steam blew. The train rolled away building up speed leaving Ponyville far behind. A unicorn wearing a royal crest on his vest began shouting for ponies to quiet down. His horn glowed and a large translucent screen appeared above his head.

"A message from Canterlot will be broadcast," He called.

Tuff Boulder shook his head," No, the world is a scary place again..."


Where the unicorn was broadcasting from was the royal palace. Up at the balcony where Celestia had given so many proud and happy speeches, she now stood solemn and with a heavy heart. Out below was all of Canterlot and the rest of Equestira was watching, hoping for answers to this pandemonium. At Celestia's sides were Luna and Twilight. Volm stood on his hind legs at the far left, brandishing a polished royal armored vest.

Celestia opened her mouth to speak but was lost for words. All she could do was look in disbelief. She cleared her throat.
"Fillies and gentlecolts, I have gathered you all , and reach out to those to far away today. Two nights ago, there was a tragedy in our neighbor's land. We have confirmed reports and eyewitness accounts of..."

When she paused to calculate her words everypony in Equestria held their breath.

"We have eyewitness accounts of what happened in Griffon Stone. As of today only five of the entire Griffon Stone populace are still alive. What happened however, is something of a nature that has never happened in our country. A monster, unlike any other we've recorded in Equestiran history, went on a rampage. It attacked many griffons and still roams the area. We don't know if there is only one, as far as we know there may be dozens."

Murmurs of confusion swept through the many crowds. Celestia straightened up with regal prowess to regain attention," This atrocity will not go unpunished! We stand in a new light. I have spoken with Volm who had personally taken the responsibility of this operation, he vows to see it finished."

She nodded for Volm to step forward. He bowed to her and stepped up to the balcony, looking out at the crowds like the chief of police.

"Citizens, friends, family, it is my honor and privilege to serve you as the newly inducted Chief of Defense," Volm said in a booming voice," I have traveled many lands and many kingdoms. Yours, your beautiful land Equestria has welcomed me with open arms. However from beyond the sea an enemy has made it to your shores. The fact that such a beast has come only means one thing; more will come, many more."

"As I speak, valiant volunteers from all corners of this nation are coming here to be the next generation of defense. With the knowledge I posses I will bring technology that surpasses what they have out there. With the addition of our Princesses and the Royal Guard, we will beat back this new threat. Together we will fight!"

PreviousChapters Next