• Published 7th May 2012
  • 12,479 Views, 236 Comments

Ace Combat: The Equestrian War - PolishValsion



Based on Namco's Ace Combat series of video games. No fighters or missiles, personal close combat.

  • ...
16
 236
 12,479

Chapter 17: The Liberation of Canterlot

Having basked in the moonlit glow,

And empowered by the rising sun,

With friends by their side, the heroines take flight.

Behold Mirage, their wings ablaze in majestic light!

Chapter 17

"The Liberation of Canterlot"

May 7th, 2019

0704 hrs

Canterlot outskirts

When the bright light around the ponies vanished, they found themselves standing on a cliffside, with the entire Canterlot visible in the distance. They weren’t too far away from it. Many were still coming to their senses after this unexpected relocation. Twilight Sparkle and her friends were checking on their allies to see if they were prepared for the upcoming battle. In case of the pegasi, all three teams; Mirage, Dragon and Garuda were all set, and they were only waiting for the signal.

However, there was one problem. Several ponies were considering to stay behind, not being interested in any more fighting. A few soldiers even stated they wanted to leave the field and desert. The majority were berating them for it, calling them cowards and other names alike. Their attitude was understandable, yet Twilight, alongside her friends still tried to uplift their spirits.

Rarity took an opportunity and showed her latest creation to the ponies. It wasn’t a dress, but a brand new Equestrian banner. She was working on it during the last three weeks. The banner was composed of two pair of wings, a blue-orange-red circle with a horn and a cyan star on top of it. The lower wings were orange, symbolizing daytime, while the ones in the middle had the same color as the star, reflecting nighttime. The gathered ponies, being over fifty in numbers, gazed upon it. Rainbow noticed it briefly and calmed them down.

“Hey, Twilight, we need to unify these ponies somehow. We’ll be needing their help if Canterlot is to be liberated."

“I know...” the purple unicorn replied. “They don’t seem to understand how important they are for the success. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna couldn’t have chosen them for being the members of the strike team without putting their trust in them.”

“Y’know, maybe you should reach out to them, make them realize that they’re a key factor during th’ offence” Applejack said as she came closer.

Twilight knew what the two mares meant. It was essential that the ponies were to remain as a combined group, not a separate one. She noticed the smoke over Canterlot rose again.

The battle had begun. Their assistance was needed for the defenders. At first, Twilight tried to shout as loud as she could to get the attention of the arguing ponies, but it didn’t work. She felt a little distraught by her inability to keep them united. Luckily, Pinkie Pie came to her aid by pulling out a small megaphone, then yelling into it.

“EVERYPONY, BE QUIET! TWILIGHT WANTS TO SAY SOMETHING!”

This brief, but loud plea caught everypony’s attention. Shamrock looked at her, stunned.

“Whoa... how did she do that?”

“It’s OK, partner, she’s just bein’ Pinkie Pie,” Applejack stated.

“But at least it helped.”

Indeed, all troops turned in Twilight’s direction. Thanking Pinkie timidly, the purple unicorn got on a nearby rock, so that she would be seen by everypony. Every pegasus, unicorn and earth pony present on the hills approached Twilight’s stand. As she was slowly gathering her thoughts, she remembered the words Princess Celestia once told her. Hoping that these words will make all of them aware of their importance in the upcoming offence, Twilight begun.

“Everypony... please, listen to me. I have something very important to tell you. Believe it or not... I understand that many of you want to see this horrible war come to an end. I, too, have the same wish. But our land is still being attacked by the vile enemy. I’m not talking about the griffins who besieged Canterlot and several other cities all over Equestria. No. Our true enemy lies in his fortress in Gryphus. Unless he is defeated, our battles will not come to an end.”

It was clear that this statement didn’t make the ponies feel much better. But Twilight carried on. Her voice was truly uplifting, filled with determination.

“Know this: Princess Celestia and Princess Luna have trusted us with recovering our capital. Over the course of this entire war, we were fighting together, but we did so as separate divisions, squadrons and army groups. That’s why... That’s why I ask you for help! We have to stand together once more, but this time, not as earth ponies. Not as unicorns. Or pegasi. We must stand together as the ponies of Equestria!"

Her voice was becoming louder and stronger with every word. The sun started to rise.

“It’s true that, on the outside, each of us is different. We live in different parts of Equestria, we have different names, we look differently. But... we have fought, suffered and died together! Deep inside, in our hearts and souls, we are all children of this land! We cannot ignore the time when our land is in danger. We must fight! We must have courage! I don’t know if you will decide to follow me or not, but I want to live in Equestria with my friends! That’s why I will keep fighting! To the bitter end, if it must be!”

Her fiery speech touched many hearts. The ponies looked into each other, slowly embracing what Twilight told them. It’s true, many of them were friends to each other and they were all born here, in this land. However, Twilight wasn’t done.

“I... also want you to know that... I’m really glad to have met all of you. Especially you... Applejack, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy...”

She looked at the five ponies standing directly below her. Little silver tears glazed in Twilight’s eyes as she smiled upon them.

“You’re the greatest friends I could have ever hope for. All these times we had together... I will never forget them...” “Twilight!” Rainbow interrupted her.

“Don’t say another word! You know that you have our support anytime, anyplace. We can take on anyone!”

Fluttershy was also willing to aid her. Others followed her suit.

“I’m tired of this pointless violence... I want to protect Equestria and my friends!”

“Yeah, we would’ve followed you to the end of th’ world if it was needed, Twilight!” Applejack added with a briskly voice.

Rarity joined them, stating that despite hating the war, she wanted to teach the griffins a lesson or two and make them realize that ponies are not to be trifled with. Pinkie Pie didn’t want to be left behind either.

“If we win, this will call for a massive celebration. So once this whole mess is over, we’re gonna throw the biggest party Equestria has ever seen! Everypony will be invited!”

That last promise sealed the deal. Roused by Twilight’s words, and convinced that running away or hiding around in the corners won’t do them any good, every soldier was willing to follow the lead of Twilight and her companions. All units and teams were understanding the great mission before them.

“So, we’re going to fly back? About time,” Flare Star commented.

“You can count on my Dragon squadron to help you in the skies, Mirage.”

“Don’t forget about us,” Tornado Swirl and Overdrive stepped forward.

“And us, too,” Shamrock added.

“We may not be from Equestria, but we never abandon our allies. Right, Talisman?”

He nodded.

“We’re with you until the end.”

They were now preparing themselves for the battle. The ponies didn’t have any more doubts. Rarity gave Twilight the new banner with Equestrian symbol, as she was considered the leader of the strike team. Twilight held it in the air with her magic, moving her head from left to right. Then... a gleeful, moved smile appeared on her face.

“Thank you... thank you, everypony.”

She briefly closed her eyes before her expression became serious, as she turned around, in Canterlot’s direction.

“Then our time has come! Everypony, we’re gonna take back Canterlot today! Let us make haste! The sun and the moon will lead our way to victory! Know that this is not the day we will surrender! This is not the day we fall! This day we fight! FOR EQUESTRIA!!!”

A beam of light jetted from Twilight’s horn as she stood on her rear legs. Second later, it exploded into the same symbol that was on the banner. The signal was made. Twilight jumped down to the plains below and started dashing toward the city as fast as she could. Applejack, Pinkie Pie and Rarity followed her without hesitation. Their units came along, one by one, hitting the ground running. The pegasi spread their wings and prepared for takeoff.

“Dragon squadron, follow my lead. We’re going back to Canterlot!” Flare Star ordered.

Wind Whistler and Rainfall were ready. All three soared into the morning sky. The two stallions from Garuda team were about to rise as well.

“This is it... Let’s go, Garuda 1!” Shamrock exclaimed.

Talisman nodded, and they took flight together. Tornado Swirl and Overdrive looked at each other before they followed the two aces. Firefly called her wingmares close to each other and briefly glimpsed at Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash with a big grin.

“I gotta say; having friends like you is indeed a blessing for her. All right, Mirage squadron! Time for the great comeback! All units, let’s make our way to the capital! Come on, team! Let’s do this! TO THE SKIES!”

All seven pegasi joined the Dragon and Garuda teams, who were ready to put even their own lives on the edge if it meant getting Canterlot back. From the skies, they saw Twilight, Applejack, Pinkie and Rarity leading the charge of the strike team. It was an impressive sight.

“Those feathered chumps will be in for a nasty surprise,” Cloud Kicker said.

“Yeah, I sure hope they won’t freak out when they see us coming,” Rainbow chuckled.

“This is going to be one for the history books,” Firefly remarked.

“FULL SPEED AHEAD!”

==========

0725 hrs

Canterlot Castle Town

The defenders were putting up a valiant effort in protecting the castle. As they had an advantage in terms of numbers, the fights soon escalated into the town itself. Phalanx was directing a few earth pony teams to help those trapped inside the houses. Unicorns used their magic to distract the griffins and allow the pegasi to pick them off easier. Colgate, as she was capable of temporarily freezing her targets, was leading the unicorn offence. Caught off guard by this sudden counter attack, the feathered soldiers needed a moment to regroup. Much to their disgrace, they were troubled even by the Cutie Mark Crusaders, who still had their catapult, and by continuously firing fruits and bricks, they gave some griffins a hard time.

The Wonderbolts fought together. Their actions managed to deliver a heavy blow against two enemy squadrons, forcing them to pull back. Sunburst led a valiant offence against Black squadron, wounding two griffins. The orange pegasus’ companions defeated the other two.

All pegasi squadrons were fighting tirelessly, but none of them had as much work to do as Mobius. Constantly dodging enemy assaults, supporting his allies and delivering crippling blows to the enemy, he fought like a whole squadron indeed. His presence alone buoyed the ponies. But even a powerful ace such as himself wasn’t invincible. Seven griffins surrounded him at one point and managed to wound him considerably. Mobius seemed completely unmoved by it, but Sky Eye was afraid the whole situation could prove to be too much, even for him. Luckily, when Quick Chaser and Thunder Flicker took some burden off his shoulders, the blue stallion thanked them with a smile.

“But, y’know, don’t you think it would’ve been nice if he’d actually talked and thanked us for real?” Quick Chaser asked his friend.

“I dunno... Focus, Sweeper 1, behind you!” Thunder Flicker hollered, as the cyan pegasus ducked under an upcoming enemy and allowed the tall flier to deliver a swift punch to the griffin’s beak.

Night Raven, who was overseeing the entire operation, was slowly losing his patience. How could it be that, even with so many troops under his command, the ponies still managed to put up such a good fight? Zeakros had reported to him that they were slowly being pushed back. Considering it to be the right moment, the grey-feathered soldier called for support in form of Echo’s Gult squadron.

At their sight, the Wonderbolts and the Phoenix squadron instantly took off in their direction to meet them in battle. A few unicorns accompanied them. Among them were Colgate as well as a dark green pony with a yellow-orange mane and a fireball of a cutie mark. She was called Firecracker Burst and had tendencies for spontaneous outbursts... quite literally. Colgate wasn’t feeling too certain around her, but her ability to shoot streams of hot blaze proved to be an effective weapon. She even managed to singe a few feathers, allowing the Phoenix squadron to easily take four enemy attackers down. At one point Colgate and Firecracker Burst even found each other side-by-side and decided to work together, peppering their enemies with ice and fire changeably.

Echo clashed with Mobius once more, though only briefly. He was interrupted by another ground assault from the Cutie Mark Crusaders. This was the last set of ammunition for them, however. Not discouraged by this one bit, the three fillies went deeper into the field to gather it back. Several other kids were aiding them, as it provided a valuable asset to the ground defense. Echo tried to intercept them, but Mobius got in his way, drawing the ace’s attention. The tables had turned. The majority of the griffin fighters were already exhausted, as they used most of their energy to break through the barrier, which eventually disappeared anyway.

Night Raven’s frustration grew.

“Gah! This is nonsense! What are those idiots doing out there? Red Cyclone will have our heads if we don’t capture the capital! Attention all units: carry on the fight. Any reserves that are still available are to join the battle now! Take no refuges!”

He then thought to himself aloud.

“Huh... Still, I wonder where the Mirage squadron is...”

“Silver 1 to Northwind 2! Come in, Northwind 2!” a voice of one of the soldiers sounded in Raven’s communicator.

“We have several contacts approaching from outside the city. They may be the enemy’s reinforcements! Your orders?”

Night Raven used his binoculars and noticed Twilight Sparkle, leading the ponies toward the city gates. Though he was more focused on the pegasi in the flight. He recognized his foes.

“Ah... there’s an answer to my question. So, you little ponies are planning an ambush, huh? How interesting. I’ll happily take you on... Silver 1, you are now in charge of this operation, alongside Northwind 1. Fight on. I have some guests to welcome.”

“... Understood. Silver 1 out.”

The grey griffon motioned about ten other soldiers that were observing the situation to intercept the strike team. Some of them went ahead to meet the pegasi in battle. Flare Star saw the griffins coming.

“Dragon 2, Dragon 3, break to the sides! We’ll take them on! Mirage, carry on the flight! Pinkie Pie, we’d appreciate the assistance of your unit."

“Okie-dokie-lokie! We’ve got plenty of surprise gifts for them here!” Pinkie called out.

Additionally, she pulled her party cannon out once more and opened fire, distracting the griffins with streamers and exploding balloons. Meanwhile, the Dragon squadron engaged the interceptors. Other ponies continued their charge. After a while, they reached the gates and immediately headed for the town area. Noticing the upcoming strike team, all ponies started cheering, emboldened with their arrival. Tornado Swirl, along with Overdrive, darted in the direction of the castle to aid the other squadrons. Applejack instantly dispatched her unit to help in the western part of the city, while Rarity sent her team to the eastern section.

Twilight remained in the center, praising Colgate and Firecracker Burst for good cooperation during her short absence. Phalanx, Gale and Sky Eye, who was overseeing Mobius’ condition the whole time, were all monitoring the entire operation, commenting that the mission was going smoothly. As time passed, the enemy threat level was constantly dropping to only about 40% within three hours. The second, more offensive phase of the battle started.

Ponies and griffins were clashing with each other almost constantly. Even though there were moments of temporal triumph for the ponies, the griffins had no intention of retreating so easily. Some ponies were visibly concerned seeing their capital badly damaged from incendiary bombs from earlier. Applejack’s units managed to secure the western part of the city and even helped several ponies in moving to safer areas. A few of them, grateful for help, offered their assistance in battle. Pinkie’s battalion and the Dragon squadron soon rejoined the main offence in Canterlot as they have bested the interceptors sent by Night Raven.

During the fleeting intervals in-between the battles, both sides reinforced themselves and carried on fighting. Rainbow Dash and her companions were especially busy, as some enemy squadrons constantly attempted to perform more air strikes. Thanks to Mirage’s synergy, none of them were successful. Firefly, Medley, Lightning Bolt and Cloud Kicker fought in a new formation, described as “offensive square”: Firefly and Lightning Bolt flew in the front with Medley and Cloud Kicker right behind them. This tactic allowed the fliers to easily break through enemy formations.

The sun pierced through several clouds that floated by the capital. Tornado Swirl and Overdrive, who were fighting alone for a while, noticed a group of three more enemies heading in the castle’s direction. Both pegasi managed to defeat the assailants but were showing clear signs of fatigue. They were fighting for the past six hours without rest.

“Hey... Overdrive... how are you doing?” Tornado asked casually when the situation briefly calmed down.

“Don’t worry... I still have plenty of gas left. We’re ain’t going down... I will fight... for Sea Spot and our friends... we can’t let them down,” she told him, having a mild shortness of breath.

“Yeah, you’re right... Listen, Overdrive, I think there’s something that you should know...” the green pegasus started.

“Considering we may not make out of this battle alive...”

“W-What are you saying? Of course we’ll make it!”

“But, just in case...”

“We WILL make it, Tornado!” Overdrive shouted. “Don’t talk like that! We’re both coming back alive, you hear me?”

Tornado was baffled to see his friend so irritated. Yet the lavender mare managed to calm down just as quickly as she went angry. He approached her.

“Hey... are you having a fever or something? Your face is all red.”

“Oops... Ah, Tornado... I guess there’s no point in hiding it anymore. I... I wanted to tell you something for a while, but...” Overdrive hesitated.

“I couldn’t force myself to spit it out...”

“What’s the matter?” Tornado asked.

“You know you can tell me anything. We’re good friends, after all.”

“Yeah, but... you’re actually... more than a friend to me...”

Tornado Swirl was surprised by these words. He was starting to wonder if she was about to say the same thing he was thinking about. His supposition came true when his orange-maned friend spoke again. A growing blush on her cheeks betrayed her.

“Tornado... we have to make it through. So, please... stay strong, like you always did. Don’t change. That’s the kind of pegasus I always knew, admired... and liked so much.”

“Overdrive... what are you...?”

“Tornado... I... I love you.”

That confession was quite sudden and touching at the same time. The green pegasus appeared to be shocked at first.

“W-What... did you say?”

“I love you!” Overdrive reiterated. “I really do...”

The initial surprise went by. Tornado smiled softly at his female companion, scratching himself behind the mane. Their sights met.

“Aw, man... looks like things didn’t worked out as I’ve planned...”

Overdrive wasn’t sure what he meant. He figured that this may be his only chance to tell her.

“Y’know, Overdrive... I... wanted to tell you something too, after the battle... but, I guess... now is better than never. I... I’ve been having a crush on you, too. For quite a while, to be honest... I like you... a lot.”

“Oh... Tornado, you mean it?” the lavender mare asked, her face turning red again.

“Yeah... Say... would you... Would you like to be my girlfriend after the war?” he asked her tentatively.

Overdrive got closer to him, so close they were practically brushing each others noses. Giggled with joy, she put her hooves around his neck.

“Why do you want me to wait that long? We can start right now.”

Then, her tone became more demanding.

“But only under one condition: now that you’ve confessed your feelings to me, you can’t die. Do you get me? You. Mustn't. Die.”

“Yeah, I know. Same to you,” Tornado replied, chuckling.

The two pegasi embraced for a moment before a sound of an explosion caught their attention.

“We still have a few griffins left to take down. Let’s go, Racer 1!”

“Right behind you, Burner 1, as always!” Overdrive responded.

Before they flew back to action, she gave a soft kiss on Tornado’s right cheek, saying:

“For good luck.”

“Thanks...”

His face has lightened up with a smile.

“Let’s move!”

Both pegasi rejoined the battle, now fueled by their genuine feelings and requited love for each other. The war might have been a destructive experience, but it could also cause a wonderful relationship to blossom. Because it was proven that at any given place or time, two beings can fall in love with and protect each other through even the most difficult times.

==========

1347 hrs

Canterlot

“The enemy is on their last threads! Carry on the offence!” Phalanx’s voice sounded in the ponies’ communicators.

“The threat level is down to 20%. Keep pounding them!”

“If this keeps up, Canterlot will be ours before sundown!” Gale exclaimed.

Meanwhile, inside the castle, Princesses Celestia and Luna observed the entire battle. Having noticed Twilight’s signal in the sky earlier, they knew that their part was done. It was actually Celestia’s idea to think of the new banner, as she figured it would represent not just Equestria, but also, all of ponykind. Both sisters looked at each other. They were tired, but happy.

“You have done well, Luna... How did felt, raising up the sun?” Celestia asked.

“It was... an unusual feeling. But in a good way,” Luna responded.

“Twilight and her friends have also done well. Still, I wish we could have aided them in a more direct way...”

“That would have been my desire, too, Luna. But they do not need our help. All of them... They are the hope of our land. I feel the war is slowly approaching its end... yet there will still be many sacrifices. Let’s support them by giving a sign of our gratitude.”

At that moment, the two winged unicorns closed their eyes. Their horns shined with glimmering light, causing a huge, glowing symbol from Twilight’s banner to appear over the castle. Every fighting pony saw the flashing and turned around to witness this unusual display. Once more their courage and determination were uplifted, prompting them to use their combined efforts to push the griffins away from the capital.

“Come on! They will not get past us!” Sunburst exclaimed. “Phoenix squadron, fight!”

“Time to wrap this up!” Thunder Flicker added. “Lancer squadron, up and at’em!”

“Leave something for us!” Quick Chaser’s voice sounded. “Go, Sweeper squadron!”

“We’re going downtown, I guess!” Flare Star remarked. “Dragon squadron, with me!”

“This is our chance, Garuda 1! Let’s strike them!” Shamrock joined the assault, with Talisman following him.

Sky Eye decided to keep Mobius around the castle, as he was showing signs of exhaustion, probably because of his wounds.

“CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS, CANTERLOT DEFENDERS! YAY!”

Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo were pushing their catapult to follow the other soldiers. They didn’t wanted to be left behind either. Cheerilee chuckled upon seeing the vigor bursting out of them.

“Soarin’! Firebolt! Rapidfire! Fleetfoot! You’re with me! Take the griffins down!” Spitfire called out to her wingmates, ready to aid the others.

“Mirage squadron, attack formation! We’ll attack together!” Firefly ordered.

“Oooh, yeah!” Rainbow responded with excitement.

While not as thrilled, Fluttershy was also ready to assist. Applejack, Pinkie Pie and Rarity led their units to provide ground support. Tornado Swirl and Overdrive came along as well.

“OK, everypony, let’s do this! Together!” Twilight Sparkle’s voice sounded in each and every radio.

An army of over one hundred unicorns, pegasi and earth ponies poured into the streets of Canterlot and had completely taken the skies, establishing air supremacy. Surprised by this sudden act of coalescence, the griffins could either stand and fight or fly back to their outposts in hopes of regrouping. Most of them chose the latter.

The castle was now safe, all that was left now were the last few enemy units that didn’t retreat or weren’t defeated. Shedding hope and putting their differences aside, the ponies were all fighting as one. Firefly’s Mirage squadron, along with the Wonderbolts, the Garuda team and every available pegasus squadron led the final strike toward the remaining enemies in the region. Against such powerful force and its unflinching resolve, the griffins stood little chance.

Victory was in sight.

And yet, Night Raven had one more opportunity for himself. He still had a total of twenty griffins under his command. Axe, who volunteered to represent the Talon squadron, was sticking with him this whole time. Raven decided to take on the pegasi, hoping to settle some unfinished business with one of them... Seeing an opening in Mirage’s formation, he performed a stunning move, charging head on and separating Fluttershy from the rest of the group. Rainbow saw him, but didn’t have enough time to stop his advance. Night Raven’s squadron, sans Zeakros, who had to retreat a while ago, kept Mirage’s attention. Even with the Wonderbolts and Garuda team supporting them, it was basically two griffins against one pegasus. Mobius, having suffered several wounds, had to pull out of the battlefield to recover. He already did a lot.

At this point, Fluttershy was facing Night Raven in a direct confrontation. That was his exact desire.

“This is our third encounter, wimp. It turns out Red Cyclone was right about you. We have lowered our guards a bit and you took the chance in defeating us. Persistent little pests!”

“Are you... believing what he said? That we were the ones who... assassinated your general?” Fluttershy asked.

“It’s a lie! Red Cyclone did it! Edge told us everything.”

“Ah... I was wondering where that traitor could have gone,” Night Raven snarled.

“Bah, it doesn’t matter. Once I’ll deal with you, he’s next.”

The griffon dueled against Fluttershy. Despite having a great advantage in speed and strength, the yellow pegasus have proved in the past that she was capable of fighting against even such strong foes. Fluttershy managed to dodge many of Night Raven’s attempts to harm her while delivering a kick or two. But her foe was clearly unfazed by her attacks and seemed to be toying with her for whatever reason.

When minutes languished, he suddenly reached into his communicator, saying: “Get her!” and surprising Fluttershy.

Suddenly, the pegasus’ wings were grabbed by Axe’s claws. Fluttershy screamed in pain as his talons struck her. Completely immobilized, she was at Night Raven’s mercy now. She remembered that the same thing happened to Medley and tried to call Rainbow or any other pegasus for help, but Night Raven didn’t allow her to do that. He tore her communicator off and crushed it, smiling sinisterly. Fluttershy was gripped with fear.

“Too bad... no one’s gonna save you now. Don’t worry... we don’t plan to break your wings... Just don’t die too quickly, I want to see how tough you are...”

Without warning, he viciously punched Fluttershy in the face, then followed up with another hit. Raven always took a glee in the slow torment of his victims. When Fluttershy moaned in pain after the third hit, the griffon fell into some sort of bloodthirsty rage. Night Raven relentlessly pummeled Fluttershy’s face, stomach and rib cage for a while. Axe held her incapacitated the whole time, also pleased with seeing Fluttershy completely powerless and defenseless, knowing she belonged to a team of pegasi that caused so much trouble to the Griffin Army.

After hitting her nearly forty times, Night Raven paused. Feeling intense pain, Fluttershy was gasping for air, barely being able to see because of a small stream of blood covering her eyes.

“What’s the matter? Still alive? Won’t be long now,” the grey griffon croaked.

“But still... I must say, you pegasi are quite durable. You’ve lasted longer than a different poor fool... She had the nerve of fighting against four of my men and actually defeated one of them... before I had to take point. Too bad she passed out so quickly...”

What Night Raven said caused Fluttershy to lift her head. That short description reminded her of somepony she knew... “So... it was you! You killed Blueberry!”

Night Raven turned his sight back on her, grabbing her face and staring into Fluttershy’s eyes.

“Ah... so she was a friend of yours, huh? Indeed, I finished that mare off. She was tough and could have been a strong foe... It disappointed me that I had to kill her so suddenly. Initially, she passed out, but still squealed loudly when I took her wings off... Heheh... Truly, this was a music to my ears.”

“Why... How could you!” Fluttershy exclaimed, horrified.

“Why are you being so cruel? Do you really hate us that much...?”

“Hate? No, no, you’ve got it wrong,” Night Raven replied.

“Personally, I have nothing against you or your kind. And I don’t even agree with Red Cyclone’s revolution. All I really want is a strong opponent to fight against. I don’t need another reason. I just like to fight. It’s my nature.”

“But why! Why did you killed her!” Fluttershy screamed, trying to wiggle herself free from Axe’s grasp. He still held her tight.

“You still want to know why? Fine, I’ll tell you,” Night Raven grinned.

“It’s simple. I killed her because I could! Because it was fun! There’s no greater joy for me than fighting a strong opponent and utterly crush it after a glorious battle! That’s what this war is also about. It’s glorious! Don’t you agree? Huh... I can see that you don’t. That’s alright...”

Fluttershy was feeling conflicting emotions. She was angry at Night Raven’s cruelty, but also scared. The pain in her body was excruciating. Raven came closer and grabbed her face again, driving his talons into Fluttershy’s left cheek.

“Let me put you down like the wimp you are,” he proclaimed, ready to strike.

Fluttershy closed her eyes...

But she knew one thing and awareness of that was beyond her pain and fear. She had no intentions of dying here or, at the very least, not by cowering in fear.

“N-NO! NO!!!”

Pushing herself to the very limits, Fluttershy hit Axe with her head, causing him to release the yellow pegasus. Night Raven looked stunned when he got kicked in the chest and slightly staggered back, growling. Fluttershy was free and flew again. Her voice was trembling with anger, her eyes flared with fire.

This griffon that hovered before her has crossed the line.

“No! It’s wrong! There is nothing glorious about war! This is just plain killing!” she screamed.

“You’ve gone too far, Night Raven! I will never forgive you! I will avenge Blueberry!”

Night Raven laughed at those bold words.

“And you plan to take on both of us? You really do have a death wish...”

Suddenly, Axe was knocked away by another pegasus who breached the airspace. It was Derpy; she managed to move away from the main fighting when she saw Axe flying at a distance. Certain that her friends would finish the job, Derpy went to fight against the murderer of her best friend, asking Fluttershy to stay alive.

Night Raven didn’t seemed to care.

“Huh... Then it is between us, then... Well then, I’ll send you to your friend to meet her!”

“I won’t lose to a vile murderer like you!” Fluttershy yelled at him.

“Do you honestly believe you can defeat me? You’re just a weak pony...”

“I may be weak... and I may be afraid of you... But I won’t run away! I’ve promised myself that... I won’t run! Never again! You’re going to pay for all the innocent lives you’ve destroyed!”

Night Raven seemed to be enjoying Fluttershy’s bold words. He scoffed at her.

“You’re quite a loudmouth. Who do you think you are, you wimp?”

“My name is Fluttershy!” the yellow pegasus responded.

She was no longer afraid, her own determination was strengthening her words.

“I’m a member of the Mirage squadron! And I’ve sworn to protect Equestria and my friends! I’m a pony that represents the Element of Kindness! But, to you... I will show no mercy!”

Darting toward Night Raven and surprising him completely, Fluttershy tackled the griffon soldier. Fueled by her desire to avenge Blueberry, she unleashed a barrage of strong punches and kicks. If someone had seen the yellow pegasus at this very moment, they would have never guessed that, normally, she was a timid and shy pony.

After several successful attacks, Fluttershy yelled and delivered a powerful kick straight into Night Raven’s neck. He screamed. The great force of the blow broke it. Night Raven stared at the infuriated Fluttershy and uttered his last words:

“Ugh... good... kill... Well fought.....”

A few seconds later, he fell from the sky, defeated. His bloody spree came to an end. Derpy was still fighting Axe, but was about to best him as well. Fluttershy looked at her hooves, mumbling.

“I... I did it... I... d-did... it... Blueberry... you can rest.... now... Ohh...”

Overwhelmed with pain, Fluttershy lost the last few ounces of strength and started plummeting down, limply. She felt like her entire body was going to explode, her head was buzzing... Unable to flap her wings or call for help, she accepted her fate... She closed her eyes and prepared for the inevitable impact... when suddenly, she heard a familiar voice, calling her name:

“Fluttershy! Hang on!”

Cloud Kicker was flying to her, as fast as she could. Derpy called her upon seeing Fluttershy falling down. The violet pegasus managed to grab Fluttershy by the tail. Then Cloud moved her on top of her own back, sighing in relief. Cloud descended to an area outside of Canterlot to avoid some still remaining clashes. She slowly laid Fluttershy on the grass under the tree. The poor yellow pegasus was jolting mildly, moaning in pain and had a bleeding wound on the forehead. The pain was so pervasive she couldn’t even move, let alone stand up.

Cloud Kicker nuzzled her gently, trying to make Fluttershy open her eyes.

“Come on, Fluttershy, wake up. Please...”

“Oww... Agh... Cloud... Kicker...” Fluttershy responded weakly.

“Help... I can’t move... Uhh... It h-hurts... Help... Please...”

“Stay with me! You’re gonna be OK!”

She then reached for her radio, showing small signs of panic in her voice.

“Mirage squadron, this is Sunny. Respond, anypony! Airmare down!”

Rainbow Dash answered the call instantaneously. When she learned of Fluttershy’s condition, she was horrified. Rainbow asked Cloud Kicker to look after Fluttershy until she got there with the rest of the squadron. Cloud turned her attention back to the wounded friend.

“What happened?”

“I... fought against... Night Raven. He... will not hurt anypony... anymore.”

Fluttershy winced in pain.

“Blueberry... I have avenged her.”

Cloud Kicker was impressed.

“You’ve defeated him? Wow, I remember he was pretty strong. It must have been a rude awakening for him. Just lie still, now. The others will be here soon."

“You... you saved my life... Thank you...” Fluttershy whispered to the violet mare.

“I guess that makes us even, huh?” Cloud Kicker grinned.

“FLUTTERSHY!”

A loud shriek was heard from the sky. Rainbow Dash quickly landed and ran to the two pegasi, clearly disturbed. She inclined before Fluttershy. The yellow pegasus smiled dimly.

“Rainbow... I knew you’d come... How goes... the battle?”

“Seems like we’ve made it. But never mind that, what about you?” Rainbow asked.

“Ummm... I’ll be fine... Ow! It hurts...”

Within a few moments, the rest of the Mirage squadron arrived. Derpy had managed to defeat Axe, which ended the existence of the Talon squadron. But the fight left some scars on her. Derpy’s left wing was injured. Lightning Bolt went ahead to treat her injury. When Cloud Kicker told them what happened, the eyes of the pegasi widened. Firefly approached Fluttershy.

“You did an awesome job, Butterfly. That was a great victory for you,” she praised the yellow mare.

”Now just take it easy. Everything will be alright, you’ll see.”

“I know... I’m not afraid anymore...”

Fluttershy then passed out, emaciated and fatigued. This exceptional feat of defeating a superior foe left her greatly weakened.

==========

1500 hrs

Canterlot

When Twilight and her friends were informed of everything, they too went to see Fluttershy. Rarity was deeply saddened, but Lightning Bolt eased her worries—Fluttershy was going to live. The white pegasus tended to some of her wounds, but the yellow pony needed urgent medical attention. Twilight used her magic to wrap Fluttershy around in a protective bubble. Additionally, she asked Applejack and Rainbow to walk underneath it just in case she would have run out of energy to uphold the bubble and so they could prevent Fluttershy from hitting the ground. No such thing happened, however. As they were walking toward the castle, all ponies watched their march. The griffins were finally away from Canterlot. This battle became a resounding success for all ponies.

The casualties on the griffin side were quite large, with over forty soldiers killed and more than fifty seven wounded. But the ponies lost approximately twenty troops and a majority of their forces were wounded, some heavily or even critically. They were primarily in need of treatment. Sunburst’s Phoenix squadron lost two fliers. Quick Chaser reported his entire team sustained wounds; luckily none of them were wounded mortally. Thunder Flicker himself had a minor scratch wound on his back. Thanks to Flare Star’s perception, her Dragon squadron wasn’t hurt much, only Wind Whistler had a small claw mark on her flank. Tornado Swirl and Overdrive were both fine, just greatly exhausted. Mobius’ wounds were already cured, and he felt as good as a newborn. Even Apple Bloom, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle were hurt a little bit when their catapult was destroyed by one of the griffin soldiers, but Cheerilee was already taking care of them.

Phalanx could now officially declare a victory over the radio.

“All enemies throughout Canterlot had been defeated. Mission accomplished! Operation Rebirth is a success! We’ve got our capital back!”

“We’d both like to send our thanks to everypony who fought so bravely,” Gale added.

“Especially to our aerial aces, the Mirage squadron. Naturally, you all did a great job out there. Yes, without you, ponies of Equestria, this victory would never occur. May the stars bless you!”

“I think Fluttershy deserves some kind of honor,” said Lightning Bolt. “She fought against someone much stronger than her and won.”

“A triumphant entry into the capital isn’t enough for you?” Medley asked. “Everypony is looking at her. Too bad she can't see it, the poor thing...”

“But they may be worried that something serious happened to her...” Derpy pointed out.

Indeed, some ponies were whispering between each other and staring at the unconscious pegasus in a bubble. Shamrock was among the crowd. He watched the march with a very worried expression on his face. Cloud Kicker approached him and assured the green flier that Fluttershy. He wanted to come with them. Nopony disagreed.

When Twilight’s group reached the castle after a few minutes, Princesses Celestia and Luna went outside to meet them. Twilight collapsed, hitting her knees against the floor, exhausted. Fluttershy landed softly on Rainbow’s back, moaning in pain. The blue pegasus and Shamrock seemed worried about their friend. When Celestia helped Twilight stand up, the princess put her arm on Rainbow’s shoulder, smiling.

“You deserve this victory and a long rest, all of you. Thanks to your efforts, our capital is now secure. We can only offer you our most sincere gratitude.”

Gale had also came out of the castle and told Spitfire something that caused her to jump in surprise. She revealed that the reports of Canterlot being liberated made the ponies who were still imprisoned in other cities do an unlikely thing. They had organized their own counter-strikes, catching the occupants off-guard and, with a small assistance of the nearby stationed pegasi teams, they had managed to recover the cities. Trottingham, Hoofington, Baltimare and even Manehattan were back in the ponies’ hooves once more.

This new set of information made those who gathered on before the castle celebrate with loud cheers. But before Pinkie Pie announced the start of another huge party, Princess Celestia reminded her subjects that there was still one more factor that needed to be eliminated if the war was to come to an end.

“Red Cyclone is still in command of the Griffin Army. And his wrath will be great when he will learn that Canterlot has been defended,” Princess Luna warned.

“We cannot lie down and think of this war being over just yet. Our battle will still continue," Princess Celestia added.

"But, for now..."

Her sight rested on the crowd of numerous tired and bruised ponies.

"I believe we all deserve a brief respite. Come inside, everypony. The medics shall treat your wounds. Pinkie Pie, Applejack, please lend a helping hoof to our chefs and prepare meals for everypony.”

Both earth ponies were more than glad to obey this command. Rainbow carried Fluttershy inside and, in a manner of minutes, she was under the care of Nurse Redheart in the emergency room. Though the yellow mare’s wounds were serious and she herself was barely awake and breathing heavily, the nurse calmed Rainbow Dash and the others, who were looking at Fluttershy from behind the glass.

“Nothing threatens her life, but she needs to rest for at least a day.”

Firefly and her team, as well as Shamrock, were relieved. Rarity welcomed that statement with happy tears. While she wanted to talk with her, the nurse couldn’t allow anypony inside. It was to ensure that Fluttershy would recover from a brutal beatdown. Rarity and Shamrock soon left to spread the news.

Firefly was still impressed by her feat.

“Wow... to think she took on a guy who was head and shoulders above her and defeated him... I’m never gonna say another bad word about her.”

“Derpy, what about you?” Medley asked. “Did you managed to strike Axe down?”

“Yes... he was pretty good... but I’ve managed to avenge Carrot Top. Though, if I’m to be honest with you, girls... I felt pity for him. Really. I actually feel pity toward all griffins. Red Cyclone manipulated them into doing all these bad things...”

“Can’t say I feel the same...” said Firefly, “but it’s clear to me that unless we take Red Cyclone down, this war will not end anytime soon.”

They came into conclusion that as soon as Fluttershy recovers, they would formulate a plan. One that would allow them to reach Gryphus and defeat Red Cyclone once and for all. Derpy suddenly remembered something.

“Oh... I’ve almost forgot. I thought you should know about this. Axe told me that Red Cyclone was constructing a new kind of superweapon to be used in the war.”

“Say WHAT?!” Rainbow exclaimed.

“Wait a minute... why would he say that, anyway?”

“Well...”

-----------------

“Urgh... You have defeated me... Well done...”

Axe, with a weak voice, praised Derpy upon being precipitated from the sky and hitting the ground hard.

“Now, finish me...”

Derpy looked at him with a stern expression, silent. She didn’t wanted to kill him. Her vengeance was already complemented. But something still troubled her.

“Tell me! Why did you tried to kidnap my daughter?”

“Red Cyclone’s orders...” Axe replied.

“He wanted a prisoner... or rather an object to torture... to show the rest of you that he was serious about his plan of weeding you out and exterminating. I obeyed that order only because I wanted to escape death... But now I see that... what I did was... wrong... I’m sorry...”

Derpy simply stood next to him, staring into his orange eyes. Axe, seeing that his opponent was hesitating, reached his left claw to the bag he had with him and pulled out a picture. He showed it to Derpy.

“If you’re not going to kill me, then... at least take this with you. And tell your friends...”

“About what?” Derpy asked. “What is this thing?”

“This... will be Red Cyclone’s trump card... Fortress Intimidation. It is being constructed in Gryphus... and it’s on the final stage... of assembly. When... it’s... completed..... uhhh......”

He didn’t finished the sentence. Axe passed away. Derpy took the photo with her and looked at the corpse of her opponent once more before flying back.

“Even though you’ve killed my best friend... I hated you... But I do not blame you. It wasn’t your fault. Now I see it. Red Cyclone is responsible for this whole madness. We’ll stop him, be certain of that.”-----------------

Derpy then showed the photo to her friends. They saw an enormous, heavily fortified base. It really did resembled a fortress, being guarded by a lot of anti-air turrets. And this was only the exterior of the base. The interior was, quite possibly, even more fortified. Medley's jaw dropped. Applejack remained in hopes of learning something that would later be told to the rest of her friends... but when she saw that huge construction, she cursed under her breath (“Consarn it!”).

Cloud Kicker whined.

“Aw, come on... And I thought we’ve had him on the ropes!”

“Nopony said this will be easy...” Lightning Bolt reminded her.

“Well, I don’t care!” Rainbow Dash said aloud.

“Let him try! He can build as many bases as he wants. We’re gonna take it down anyway!”

Other silently agreed, but the imposing sight made them feel insecure...

==========

1711 hrs

Canterlot Castle, Emergency Room

Later, when Applejack, Rarity, Pinkie and Twilight returned to their respective units to check on their soldiers’ condition, Lightning Bolt, Cloud Kicker, Derpy and Medley already went to their quarters to get some rest. Rainbow and Firefly remained alone, observing Fluttershy. Though she still had many bruises on her body, her condition was improving.

“Hey, I think she’s getting better,” Rainbow accosted.

“Yeah... She does seem to be breathing, at least,” Firefly responded.

“Let’s hope she gets better soon...” the pink mare sighed.

“Something on your mind?”

“You know...”

Rainbow knew. Firefly’s mind wasn’t really bothered by this “Fortress Intimidation” that was being constructed by Red Cyclone and his ruffians. She was still thinking about Black Star and all these words he told her via Edge’s beak.

“When we get to Gryphus... I’m gonna take on Black Star... I wonder if I can...”

“Of course you can! That guy deserves to be punished,” said Rainbow.

“Besides, you’ve made a promise to your mom and dad, remember?”

“Yeah, I know... And I will keep it. But still... ”

“Firefly, we’re gonna talk about it later, OK? Right now, let’s wait for Fluttershy to get better. Sometimes you need to focus on the present rather than future...”

Firefly grumbled in accordance. Rainbow yawned and asked Firefly if she could take a short nap. Now she knew how her friends were feeling; everypony was exhausted after the battle. It had been a great success, but the ponies worked for it with their sweat, tears and blood. Firefly assured Rainbow that she can get a rest without any worries.

As Rainbow was about to close her eyes and fall asleep, Firefly said kindly:

“If you like, you can rest your head on my flank. I don’t mind.”

“Thanks, Firefly... That’s nice of you...”

A silent yawn escaped Rainbow's mouth.The blue pegasus smiled as she lay next to Firefly, hearing her heartbeat. It soon turned out to be a sort of lullaby for her. When Firefly looked at Rainbow, who drifted to sleep moments later, she smiled, too. Though she didn’t want to admit it out loud, Firefly felt really comfortable when Rainbow was around her. It somehow eased Firefly’s doubts and lessened her stress. It was as if some sort of inner fire was ignited in her soul...

But as soon as Rainbow Dash started snoring quietly, indicating she was fast asleep, Firefly’s face was quickly filled with worries again. There were still some things left unfinished... She thought to herself:

“Today, we have won. But... the most important battle is yet to come... Mom... Dad... please, watch over me. I shall see to it that Black Star will get punished, like I’ve promised you. That heartless bastard... nothing justifies what he did... So... why do I feel so... confused...? Is killing him the only way to...? Heh... I guess Rainbow is right. I really am thinking too much. Well...I should get some rest.”

Firefly then lay next to Rainbow, closed her eyes and fell asleep minutes later.