• Published 5th Feb 2015
  • 2,263 Views, 56 Comments

Time for Twilight - sunnypack



Instead of going a few moments back in time, Twilight ends up going back a few thousand years.

  • ...
2
 56
 2,263

4 - Right On Time

Chapter 4: Right On Time

Sighing, Star Swirl set forth a spell that tugged the dripping pony from her awkwardly wedged position under a bathtub. Given that the pony in question was knocked out, Star Swirl was fairly certain she would not mind the obvious discomfort that would normally cause. As he drew her out he noticed something strange about this particular pony.

Leaning in, he couldn’t make sense of the pair of lumps that adorned her back. The unicorn almost dropped the pony as his curiosity was piqued. He stepped back, cocking his head. What looked familiar about them? He glanced back. With a start and a shiver down his spine, it came to him. The thick mud that had originally obscured, had sleeted off and underneath revealed a pair of mottled amethyst wings. The feathered pinions shone dully in the wavering oil lamplight that suffused the small bathroom. Despite himself, Star Swirl found his gaze affixed to them.

Then the implications sank in and with belated alacrity, Star Swirl dropped the pony.

Twilight moaned slightly but continued to stay unconscious.

Star Swirl breathed a sigh of relief, though not knowing why. He didn’t know what to think of this out of control situation. Should he be scared? Afraid? Panicking? Confused? Cautious?

Thoughts whirled around his head. What did it mean that this pony had the wings of a pegasus and the horn of a unicorn? Was this a new creature to Equestria? No… she certainly seemed comfortable enough around ponies and she could certainly speak the language. Besides, it was most likely something else, she looked pony enough. A bit of a ditz though, but mostly harmless…

Star Swirl sank to his haunches, calming down as he thought about it. He could feel his nerves returning as he rationalised the situation.

She’s still a pony and nice enough, he thought to himself. It’s not as if she’s a manticore in disguise.

He watched the unicorn/pegasus hybrid take a breath.

Another thought struck Star Swirl.

She must be all alone. The only one of her kind in this world, he thought morosely. His hoof reached out, but stopped inches from her muzzle. He drew it back. Whether she was a freak accident, a failed magical mishap or some sort of mutated hybrid, Star Swirl didn’t know. All he did know was that she needed help.

“I’ll take care of you,” he whispered and then levitated her gently in his telekinetic field.

—————

Twilight awoke feeling a multitude of aches and pain. There was a deep and dull throbbing emanating from her cranium. She supposed that was a combination of the pail and the large stick of the panicking filly in the forest. She frowned, realising that her head was not the only thing in pain. The next pain were from her wings, they were cramped and sore from how she had slept on them. As a unicorn she had gotten used to sleeping on her back and unless she splayed her wings out in a certain way—like Fluttershy had taught her—then she would end up with all manner of aches and stiffness. She sighed. Well, what’s done was done, best concentrate on the here and now. She was suddenly aware of the feeling of warmth all around her.

For a moment, Twilight luxuriated in the sensation of blankets around her. The cloth was made of rough cotton and the bed was a little hard and lumpy, but what mattered to Twilight the most was the little things. Like being warm. She snuggled in the covers, yawned silently and shifted herself so she would be sleeping on her side with wings on her back tucked in.

As her eyes were just about to drift close, she wondered where that faint moist breeze was coming from.

Then her eyes shot open.

“AHH!”

Twilight shot out of bed, tumbling to the floor and pulling the bed sheet free with her.

There was a furious scrambling, mostly by Twilight and then a drooping head peeked over the side of the bed, rubbing his eyes with his hooves.

“What? Huh? What?! Oh, you’re awake.”

“Mmph! Mm! Pffwah!” Twilight spat the sheet from her mouth.

“You’re going to have to clean that,” Star Swirl commented mildly.

“What?” Twilight shot back. “Why are you in my bed?”

“Actually, it’s my bed and there wasn’t another place I could sleep,” he said in a matter-of-fact tone. The unicorn slid out of the bed and started stretching.

Twilight watched him with a tinge of exasperation. Yes of course, after the era of romantic conservatism there had been a big push for modesty and propriety in Equestria. Clothes were big back then and beds were only shared if ponies were married or of the same sex. Fortunately, the clothing thing died out and there wasn’t many ponies continuing that tradition, though some still wore clothing for fun or fashion. It was still popular among the higher class socialites of Canterlot. Bed etiquette was still in full force. Twilight had to remind herself once again that she was in a different time.

“Of course,” she said, straightening up and untangling herself from the bed sheets. Just act as if that was normal. “Thank you for taking care of me. I’m… not used to using my hooves.”

Star Swirl stared at her for a moment. Then he realised she was referred to the bathroom. He rolled his eyes. “What are you? A princess? It was just a pail of water. Sometimes you have to know how to do things without magic, in case you run into limitations when you’re without your horn.”

Twilight nodded slowly, but didn’t say anything further. Anything she said would be incriminating.

“Well, since you were unconscious” —Twilight blushed at that— “we still have leftover stew and I’m hungry!” Star Swirl declared. With a beckoning hoof, he all but charged across the room and slammed open the door. He seemed a mite more flustered than normal, but all Twilight could do was shake her head at his slightly brusque behaviour and trail after the supposedly legendary magician.

Author's Note:

Half the fun of making my stories, is making funny titles. It cracks me up. That was tearable, like paper. Bet you're feeling ripped off right now, but don't worry that's all the material I have.

Next Chapter: A princess in the court, but not the right one.

As always, my initiated readers, thanks for reading!