• Published 3rd Jul 2015
  • 2,162 Views, 55 Comments

Battlestar: Luna - Lunar Soldier



Another ship appears in Equestrian space.

  • ...
5
 55
 2,162

Prologue - One Does Just Simply...

Post-Equus arrival, day 89
09:34, Canterlot Standard Time
Residence of Wind Burst, Cloudsdale

Wind Burst knew that Celestia’s sun was the bringer of all good things. It kept ponies warm, gave them the light of day, and grew the food he loved to eat. But on mornings like this one, he could do without it. An eye cracked open as sunlight shone through the blinds of his apartment, and a deep groan escaped his lips.

“Never… again…”

He had learned from being one of the most eligible stallions in Cloudsdale (or in Equestria, for all he knew) that he was invited to more than his fair share of stag parties. He had gone to parties for his longtime friends he first met in flight camp, those he met in school, then even friends of friends. It was all the same. They would start drinking hard cider at somepony’s home, then go to some random nighttime establishment for more cider until forced to leave, then back to home for even more cider.

More often than not, he didn’t remember the flight home, fumbling for his keys, or crashing face first into his bed. He would wake when the first rays of light peered through his window, and begin regretting the previous night. He had repeated this cycle so many times, he faced a bigger problem than the vise squeezing his head with a pounding headache.

It was beginning to become boring.


Post-Equus arrival, day 98
20:13, Canterlot Standard Time
The Cloud Kicker, Cloudsdale

It had been, until a fateful opportunity arrived. While being on-station in Cloudsdale, a flyer pinned to a tack board read the Crown was looking for volunteers for a “repair and observation mission” on the newly arrived Caprica. By now, it was common knowledge throughout the whole of Cloudsdale an alien had descended from the sky, in flight but without wings. Such a prospect horrified some of the residents of the cloud city, calling the human a “beast” or “monster.”

Wind Burst had heard the rumors. He had even been a skeptic himself before one of his nights out led him to be in an audience with Spitfire. From Wind’s perspective, it looked as if she and her friends were having a “mare’s night out.” “Yeah, I’ve met him,” Wind overheard Spitfire say from the other side of the bar. “Not a bad stal- I mean guy.”

“I heard he can fly without magic or wings!” One of her friend’s exclaimed. “Doesn’t that bother you?”

“Not in the slightest,” the Captain retorted.

“How so?”

“He explained to me when we met today. He said his… people of ancient times used to wonder what it would be like to fly, so they began creating things that mocked the flight of a bird.”

“They had birds?” Another of her friends asked.

“Apparently. Anyway, these so-called ‘pioneers’ of flight built crude machines, trying to imitate the flapping of a wing. None succeeded, and some died during the process.”

A hoof came to Wind Burst’s mouth. “Oh, my…”

“But then, an idea came to two brothers, who made what Mark called a ‘fixed wing aircraft.’ Mechanical power pushed the craft forward, and the wings were designed in such a way to give it lift.” She smiled. “To put it in Mark’s words, ‘The wingless had forged their own wings.’”

That was all Wind Burst needed to hear. The next morning he volunteered to be assigned to the Caprica, and less than six hours later, he was on his way up to said ship. His first impression of the Caprica itself was “Big and oddly shaped.” His quarters were smaller than he expected, and the bed he was given wasn’t as comfortable as his cloud bed at home… and he wouldn’t have had it any other way. It was a nice change of pace from the dullness that was his day in, day out life. Then the so-called “Grayclaw Incident” occurred.

It was a time of high stress for everypony. Watching the events unfold from a display got Wind Burst’s heart pumping and the adrenaline flowing. His overall role in the Incident was relatively small compared to some other ponies, but it was still exciting to watch history that would be talked about for generations unfolding before his very eyes.

He received his promotion to Second Lieutenant just hours before bringing the Caprica planetside, being noted as “able to grasp and understand a new concept with remarkable ease.” After watching the Battlestar ascend back into the evening sky, Wind Burst let out a disappointed sigh. Back to the regular hum-drum, I guess.


Post-Equus arrival, day 157
10:33, Canterlot Standard Time
Residence of Wind Burst, Cloudsdale

Another night of debauchery left Wind Burst to wake with an extreme case of dry mouth and a sensitivity to light that would rival that of the Lunar Pegasi. From his bed, he could hear the daily hum of activity, to which he promptly rolled over and placed a pillow over his head.

The sound of a knock on his door forced Wind Burst to slowly rise, his body severely disagreeing with the change in posture. Opening the door revealed a royal messenger. “Message from the Princesses. Sign here, please,” the page said as he held out a clipboard and quill.

Wind Burst took the quill in mouth and scribbled his name, the messenger handing him an envelope bearing the seal of the Princesses. He bid the messenger farewell before turning to the note, breaking the seal.

To the members of the Equestrian Armed Forces;

It is with great pride that the Princesses of Equestria are announcing a most unprecedented voyage. If you have received this letter, you have been preselected to join Commander Marcus Frude in his journey to explore the local star system on the Type 271-BXR Caprica. Though this will mainly be a mission of research and exploration, Commander Frude informs us he intends to subject the crew to exercises and “combat-readiness” tests.

The overall timespan of this mission is unknown, but estimates have already been calculated, putting the mission end date somewhere eight to nine months after deployment. Some estimates have an deployment time lasting longer than a year. However, Princess Celestia has decreed that the maximum time allotted will be one year from the deployment date.

This mission is strictly volunteer and is opt-in. If interested, please see your commanding officer at your station or contact Commander Frude directly, if able. If you do accept, begin arrangements for a possible one-year deployment. If not interested, you may disregard this letter.

This is a joyous occasion for all ponykind, as we take our first steps into the stars and visit our cosmic neighbors.

Signed,

Princess Celestia, et. al.

Wind Burst didn’t need to think twice. His headache all but disappeared as he descended the stairs of his apartment building and lept into the morning sky, shouting “I’m going on an adventure!” A week later, his orders came in, and two days afterward, he was already on the Caprica, becoming more familiar with the ship’s systems.

Mark came up to Wind Burst as Des was showing him how to perform a routine diagnostic on the flight controls. “Heard you made quite a stir in Cloudsdale when the Princesses announced this exploration mission.”

A corner of Wind Burst’s mouth rose in a grin. “Yeah. I might have. I’m not sorry for it. I was just excited to be up here again.”

Mark bobbed his head in a nod. “A stallion who lives without regret. I like it. We’re glad to have you again, Lieutenant.”

“Thank you, sir. There’s no place else I would rather be.”

Post-Equus arrival, day 202
03:41, Canterlot Standard Time
Bridge, Caprica

The lone dot on Wind Burst’s console, labeled “Unidentified Contact” stared back at him. Behind him, a flurry of activity was happening, as ponies tiredly resumed their stations at full combat alert.

He rubbed the sleep from his eyes, as the only thought he could process repeated itself in his mind. Wanna go home.