• Published 1st Feb 2015
  • 606 Views, 11 Comments

The Life of an Engineer - The unwanted Adventures - Hoppa_21



Steam Gear is a unicorn engineer, who wants to live a peaceful life. He owns a small shop and tries his best to fit in with everypony, but that is easier said than done. However, his life changes completely, when he finds a mysterious tree.

  • ...
0
 11
 606

A cell for one

Author's Note:

Here is another chapter. I'm not quite satisfied with the part before the end. Maybe I must change it later on. Tell me what you think of this chapter! :twilightsmile:

I was walking through the park, when I headed back. From this point on everything went wrong. If I knew, what was about to happen, I would have even taken up my clients invitation! But that lies all in the past know. However, let's not dwell here on these thoughts, right?

A moderate breeze was blowing, as I walked through the park. I enjoyed the walk, especially since I was the only one here. Or at least, that's what I thought.

I was in deep thought, so I didn't notice the shadow that was closing in on me.

*Thump*

And then my sight got black, as I fell to the ground.

I probably wouldn't have seen this coming, even if I wasn't arguing with myself. You could easily say that I'm one of the most inattentive ponies around, other than Rainbow Dash.

Now that I think about it. She would have probably wiped the floor with the fella, as soon as he had lied his eyes on her. Like I said before, I wouldn't want her as an enemy.

When I finally woke up I was in a dark room. I couldn't move. I almost couldn't see through the thick layer of green before my eyes. I was tied up with this green stuff even on both hooves and I couldn't use my horn, since the gooey stuff was all over head.

It kind of reminded me of green jelly. The one that you can buy in groceries. But since I doubted, that this was jelly, I wouldn't give it a try. It probably tasted horrible.

I slowly realized the situation I was in. Somepony seemed to have ponynapped me. I didn't know who was it, or why somepony would want to do that, to a small shop owner like me.

I thought of every worst case scenario I could muster. From cannibalism to serial killer, to rapist. Unnecessary to say, that this didn't put my mind at ease. I was so scared. But that was not even the worst thing.

I slowly looked down on me and then shook my head. It can't be, I thought. They have taken my top hat and my clothes! Yeah, I'm the type of pony that gets emotional over clothes.

I always thought of my clothes as some way to get identified. It was an important part of my identity. With it I felt safe.

To sum it up, I have two pillars of safety and stability. One were the familiar things of my life, like my shop, my job, my house, my employee and my regular, Rainbow Dash. The other one was my clothes. With the two pillars broken down I slowly began sobbing.

This won't get you out of here, said the voice in my head.

It is over, I let out another sob.

It is only over, then you give up. Stand up! Answered the voice sharply.

But I don't know where I am and I'm restrained and...they have stolen my top hat... And here we go again with the sobbing.

Forget this stupid hat! God, what will I ever do with you. Silence then filled the room, as I did not answer.

Ok, see it this way. You can't wear a top hat again, if you don't stand up right now and get out of here!

True enough. This voice could be useful sometimes.

But how? I asked insecure.

Try to think of an idea yourself! I can't do that for you. I can only guide you up until this point.

I wished, that you could just take over. I don't think I can do this. It is just too much.

The voice sighed. Listen to me. You need to pull yourself together, or else it is over and we both don't want that.

I stopped sobbing and tried to calm down. However I was interrupted, as I heard somepony outside of the door. Slowly the handle was pushed down and with that all of my hopes.

I started sobbing again. It was over now. I was so sure of it.

I coiled up to a ball. Quivering and almost crying. This scared the hell out of me.

I must have looked pretty pathetic back then, but I couldn't help it. My whole world broke down in a single day.

Would you have acted any different? You probably would say, just to stay quiet, as the pony was walking in the room. That I should just act, like I was still unconscious, but it is easier said than done.

I was at the edge of a mental breakdown. Maybe you could even call it a mental breakdown. That would be 'Mental Breakdown Number 1' then.

Best thing is to make a mental breakdown counter. I will probably need that one more often.

Where was I? Oh, right. Somepony just opened the door.

I closed my eyes at this time. I didn't want to look my captor in the eyes. I didn't want to look at my captor at all!

At this time I could hear the voice in my head, who tried to vigorously get me to fight my fate. But the voice was blurred, through my panic attack and mental breakdown.

I just couldn't concentrate on the voice. I was too scared.

The steps grew closer and closer and closer. I almost couldn't breath.

Now that I think about it, how can you breath with that layer of green anyway? It somehow seemed to be permeable to air. Strange if you think about it. Something as thick and gooey as this permeable to air? But I guess I'm trailing off.

My heart pounded faster with each step. The captor was so close. Only a few steps away.

At this point I wanted to loose my conscious again. I couldn't bear with it.

When, suddenly, the hoofsteps stopped.

I was crying at this point. I couldn't hold back my tears. To hell with the 'die like a stallion' saying. It wouldn't make any difference in the end.

I waited for what was about to come. The seconds passed like hours until suddenly my restraints were cut through and I heard a familiar voice.

“Are you alright, G?”, Rainbow Dash asked, apparently worried.

I cried as I hugged her. I wasn't into hugs, like I said before, but I somehow needed it now. I probably looked like a little colt, who was crying into the chest of an adult pony, but I didn't care one bit at the moment.

I needed solace, I needed stability. And there was Rainbow Dash, the last bastion of stability at the pile of shards, that was once my life.

Rainbow Dash was surprised by my action, but hugged me back regardlessly. “Everything is alright, G. I'll get you out of here.”

We remained like this for...I actually don't know how long. I just cried, until my eyes were completely emptied.

When I was finished, I still sobbed some more. I tried slowly to calm down and the more I calmed, the more I was ashamed of myself.

I just realized how pathetic I must have looked.

“Sorry... I just... panicked and... I thought my life was over and... I'm pathetic...” I said between my sobs.

“I told you before and I will tell you again, G, stop the whole 'getting depressed at everything' thing. I admit, that I didn't expect you to break down like this, but I don't blame you for it,” she gave me a reassuring smile, “Let's go, before this gets any more awkward.”

I nodded.

For her to act like this. It could seem, like she was totally out of character at the moment, but I could recognize with her last words, that she didn't like this situation either. She probably didn't have to give much solace in her life and she was probably as uncomfortable with the situation as me.

But she put up with the situation, because she had to. I wouldn't be of any help, if I was laying on the floor crying, and let's be honest here, the wailing would only have attracted my captor, when we would try to sneak out of...the cave?

Or how would you call it? We were underground. I could even see it back then. But I could also only see it, because the form looked like it. The whole walls were covered with a harder version of the green stuff. It almost looked like crystals. So, let's call it a crystal cave for now, even though we might need to rename it later on.

After the moment passed, I finally managed to stand up. I was still bewildered and scared, but I could at least hold my composure. I also started thinking more clearly now. It was question-time.

“What is this?” I said, as I motioned with my hoof through the room.

“We don't have much time, that's why I will give you only a short explanation.” She took a deep breath.

“You were kidnapped by changelings, who stole your identity and you are not the only one. They seem to infiltrate the city. That's why we need to get out of here, to the military guards and tell them about their secret hideout. When we will kick their flanks and they will go back to the wasteland, they came from! In the end, everypony will recognize how awesome I am, even the Wonderbolts, which will happily take me into their rows!”

It was all about a promotion? I didn't question it. She often told me about 'how awesome' the Wonderbolts were and that she would do 'anything' to join this highest military circle.

Her motives were quite obvious though. I probably could have guessed them, even without her mentioning them. Sometimes she was as easy to read as an open book.

“Let's not strike roots here. Come on!” she exclaimed.

We walked out the room and stood in a long floor. A lot of corridors were on either side and I was worried if we could really get out of here. It seemed like a maze to me.

Rainbow Dash didn't hesitate a second and walked down the floor. I followed her quietly. But then struck me an important question.

“How do you know that the military isn't - “

“Shush!” - she suddenly pressed her wing on my mouth. - “Somepony is coming.”

Let's just recall, how much I love wings, so that it is clear, why I reacted the way I did.

Wings are for me almost the purpose of my life, besides my job as an engineer. I always wanted to have some. They are so majestic and so soft and feathery. And let me warn you, the words 'soft' and 'feathery' are something you will hear a lot more often through my story.

Or let’s just put it this way: What for Rainbow Dash is ’20 % cooler’ and ’10 seconds flat’ is for me ‘feathery’ and ‘soft’, even though I normally never spoke those words out loud.

Let's get back to the topic on hoof here. When I remember it right, I was about to savor this glorious moment.

YES! SO MUCH YES! I screamed in my thoughts. Soooo soft.

I leaned lightly against her wing and sunk into it. I just wanted to feel her feathers and the softness of her wing more. You can't blame me for that, right?

I can happily die now, I thought dreamily.

Then die, said the voice in my head. But it couldn't ruin this moment for me. I was radiating with glee.

God, I swear, I would have totally descended on her to measure her violently, if it wasn't for the situation we were in.

I wished, that it would have happened at my home or in my shop and I couldn't care less, that she would have kicked my flank, after my measuring was done. Actually, she would have kicked my flank as soon as I would descend on her, but it would be at least worth a try. Maybe I could have restrained her with my magic. I mean, a stallion can dream, right?

At this point I was drooling uncontrollably. It didn't take Rainbow Dash long to notice.

“Urgh... You are drooling again! And all over my wing too! Geeze, G, what is it with you and drooling today!”, she whispered sharply, as she removed her wing from my mouth.

I didn't care about her sharp words at the moment. My dopey smile lasted, as I was trapped in what must have been pony heaven. Also I must say, that I was a little disappointed at the 'way too early' removal of her wing.

Rainbow Dash was apparently grossed out by the waterfall of drool, that was covering her wing, since she was shaking it vigorously, to get it off. It was remarkable, how much drool a pony could produce.

At least she won't do that again, said the voice in my head amused.

Realization hit me.

I sighed disappointed. He was right. I couldn't just make a noise, so that she would cover my mouth with her wing again. She would probably use her hoof. And a hard hoof, full of dirt wasn't that attracting. The world was too cruel.

The voice seemed to like it, when I suffer. Or in other words, he was gloating at this moment.

Sometimes I thought of this little voice as a little sadist. I mean, seriously, we are the same pony technically, so he shouldn't do that! Practically, he should suffer like me, but I couldn't see him suffering at all! Only when I was enjoying myself. Strange, isn't it? Well, I'm not a psychologist, so I should just drop it.

Meanwhile the steps grew more distant and Rainbow Dash sighed relieved.

“No more questions until we get out. Got it?” she whispered.

I nodded, slightly ashamed.

We started walking again when - “He is gone! Guards alarm the whole hive!” - somepony bellowed at the top of his lungs. Great. Those guards were walking straight to the room, where I was kept in.

What did I say earlier? Crystal cave, right? We could also call it hive now. Probably a lot shorter and better suited for the fast-paced situation we are now in. But let's keep going, before I trail off again.

“Shoot!” whispered Rainbow Dash, “We need to get out of here fast. Run!”

And so I did. I ran right beside her. She seemed to hold back though. Let's be honest, I would never keep up with her pace, if she was giving 100 %. Or maybe 120 %, since she had this 20 % quirk?

It didn’t take us long to run straight into the arms of another pair of guards.

Rainbow Dash speeded up immediately. Her wing blades were all ready to go as she took those two changelings down, without breaking a sweat.

I sighed dreamily. They seem so fragile, but they are yet so strong.

Focus, said the voice in my head.

Alright, alright… I muttered.

We ran past the collapsed changelings towards the exit, but when we finally arrived, there was only a dead end.

“Dammit!” sweared Rainbow Dash, “They must have blocked the path, as soon as this guy was screaming at the top of his lungs.”

“Probably,” I uttered.

The question on hoof was, ‘What now?’, but I doubted that even Rainbow Dash would have an answer for that.

Or that’s what I thought. Even before I could finish, with what I was thinking, she attacked the wall with her wing blades.

She was quite the feisty one.

Problem here was, that they were a lot harder than the restraints, so she couldn’t break through it.

Rainbow Dash breathed lightly, as she ceased her attacks.

“We need to find another way,” she said as calm, as she could, “Let’s go.”

And so we headed off in the other direction.

It didn’t take long until a whole bunch of changelings were chasing us. I guess we could have expected that.

Rainbow Dash didn’t try to take them down, unlike the other two. There were just too many and I couldn’t call myself a fighter. They would probably beat me up, once they reached me. Panic returned.

While I was running I screamed in my thoughts, Please no! Please no! Please no!

The mantra soon changed, as I saw my unfulfilled dreams right in front of my eyes. When I die, I will never measure Rainbow Dashes wings again, I will never experiment with wings and I will never find a pegasus girlfriend, which wings I could measure, every single day! No, they will measure happily ever after!

Ok. Maybe it seems strange to bystanders, but I have my own priorities in life. Don’t judge me. And besides a family was not such a bad goal.

Yeah, but your perversions are, said the future voice in my head.

What should I say? I will probably never get rid of it.

As we ran down the corridor for what must have been at least five minutes, I could finally spot a large door. I was totally out of breath by now. How could Rainbow Dash even manage to run for such a long period of time?

Probably a lot of people with a good condition will laugh at that, but I simply wasn’t the type who would play hoofball or jog to improve my condition.

Anyway, as we ran straight to it, we could see a small bunch of changelings blocking the way and it seemed like Rainbow Dash wouldn’t hold back now.

The door seemed like the only escape route for now, since the corridor didn’t have any other directions left, other than going back, which wasn’t really an option.

With a quick sprint she rushed through the six changelings and hit each of them hard with her wing blades. She was really fast, so the changelings didn’t stand a chance.

She hurried, to get the door open. I helped her too, as I reached it. We both pushed with all of our strength and it slowly opened itself.

The inside looked a lot different from the rest of the hive. It was a huge room covered with blue crystals and blue stones and blue earth. To make it short it really looked blue.

At the end of a room was a Tree with five strange gems on it.

Rainbow sweared.

I couldn’t blame her. We were trapped in a room now and the enemies would arrive every second.

We would have blocked the door, if we would have seen something to block it with, but there was nothing loose, we could use. Another rhyme. Maybe I should try to make one rhyme per chapter? Wouldn’t that be a nice idea?

I shaked my head vigorously. Sorry I should learn not to trail off too often.

“We have to fight our way through,” said Rainbow Dash, but I was barely listening.

I heard a whisper. It startled me first, but my fear somehow vanished, the nearer I walked towards the tree.

I don’t know what was wrong with me at the moment. I walked more and more towards it like I was in some kind of trance.

The whisper grew louder with each step.

“G? What are you doing?!” Rainbow Dash screamed.

I didn’t listen. I just walked towards the tree until I stood directly in front of it.

It was suddenly radiating with a soft white light. It gave me a warm feeling, a feeling, a reassuring feeling, like everything is going to be ok.

Rainbow Dash was in the meantime kicking the flanks of some changelings. She only stopped shortly to watch, where the light was coming from and then continued fighting. She couldn’t rest in her situation.

“G!” she screamed, apparently worried.

I was floating by now, right to the middle of the tree. The five gems floated from their position and a sixth gem appeared, as the middle of the tree made an opening.

Now the six gems were circling me and slowly closing in, radiating a lot more light than before. Then without a warning, they sunk into my body. It didn’t hurt, but it was a strange feeling, which I will never forget in my whole life.

The light grew even brighter and with a flash, the whole room was covered in it. I don’t remember everything what happened from there. I remember seeing pictures of seven creatures. Two of them seemed to be alicorns.

My gaze was fixed on their wings. They were so majestic, but the image soon disappeared, as more and more images popped up in my mind. And I could now clearly hear the whispering voice.

The Elements of Harmony. One bearer, six guardians to bring balance forth in this world.

I heard this somewhere before. An old fairy tail? I couldn’t really make sense of this babbling. But it didn’t matter, since my sight got black again.

This marked the beginning of my unwanted adventures.