• Published 31st Jan 2015
  • 2,958 Views, 70 Comments

The Mannequin of Carousel Boutique - Emeralddragon2



When dispelling a color changing enchantment, Rarity discovers that one of her mannequins is a little more than it seems.

  • ...
15
 70
 2,958

The Swamp Monster from Rainbow Cove

chapter 2 - The Swamp Monster from Rainbow Cove

Rarity was once again matching fabrics in her sewing room, working on the latest commission from her latest undisclosed client, whose name would only be known between the fashionista and her customer. The ivory unicorn knew the importance of confidentiality between a businessmare and her clients. But that did not stop her from thinking out loud in the privacy of her own workplace.

“Big Macintosh, I understand you wanted something simple for your date, but sometimes I need a little more detail to work with! Honestly, it’s almost as bad as making an outfit for Rainbow Dash.”

The seamstress was comparing a strip of light yellow broadcloth to a square of cyan longcloth. She scrunched her face in concentration and magically levitated her pair of glasses onto her muzzle for a closer look.

“Hmm.. I think these colors might work.. but I want to compare it to Big Mac’s coat color, see if the balance is correct.”

She went over to her poseable mannequin, which currently had it’s arms pointed to the sides in a straightened stance like a giant capital T. Rarity had been using it as a makeshift pincushion since she wasn't happy with the current shade of brown pants it was wearing and decided to make the outfit from scratch. Along with the pants, it had various small scraps and strips of colored fabric pinned to it’s head, arms and torso, looking like the swamp monster from rainbow cove.

Levitating two pins and sticking the additional scraps to the mannequin’s face, she turned around and bent over her work desk, searching for a suitable color of fabric scrap similar to Big Mac’s.

“Ugh, my sewing room is becoming a mess again.. I should really break this habit of mine, it’s making it difficult to find what I want..”

The white unicorn was currently wearing a tight pair of dark blue jeans and a light purple halterneck revealing the back of her attractive upper body. Her tail was in it’s usual perfect curl with her mane currently styled in a professional looking bun, with a few curled bangs to add a bit of spice. Her pert posterior was posed in the air while she leaned on one hand looking over the organized chaos that was her work desk.

“Hmm, Oh! Idea! I could just enchant my mannequin to be the right color! That will be much quicker for what I need.”

Straightening up from her possibly provocative position, Rarity turned back to her scrap covered dummy in the unassuming brown pants. She took her glasses off with one hand and placed her other arm below her breasts and scrunched her face in concentration to cast the color enchantment. With the light blue glow of her magic around her horn, and a matching aura around the mannequin, the spell took effect leaving the cloth exterior of the figure a sumptuous, vivid and eye catching-

“Pink?”

Rarity’s muzzle took on a bit of a pout.

“Now that isn't right.. I’m sure I cast it correctly, Unless..”

Rarity put her hands on her hips and yelled, “Pinkie! Are you messing with me again!?”

Off in the distance, a faint reply could be heard.

“Nope! I’m messing with Rainbow Dash!”

Which was followed by a tomboyish, “What?! Dangit Pinkie!”

The white fashionista rolled her eyes and sighed in annoyance.

“Well I suppose I might be out of practice, I will have to take some time to see if Twilight is available to help me.. study..”

A slight shudder went through the shapely unicorn.

“But in the meantime, I’ll just dispel this enchantment and look elsewhere for the right color.”

Rarity placed her glasses on her desk and crossed both her arms over the front her halterneck. Her horn lit up in it’s default light blue, and one flash of magic later, the scrap covered mannequin went back to it’s original color of.. shiny iridescent black.

The well dressed unicorn raised an eyebrow. Her head turned behind her for a moment in confusion, during which a fiery green flame briefly encompassed the ‘swamp monster from rainbow cove’.

Rarity’s head turned back to the mannequin, not having seen the fleeting moment of green flame. Her eyes narrowed towards the now normal off-white of the dummy’s cloth.

Her horn lit up and dispelled the mannequin once again.

The visible parts of the mannequin’s cloth once again turned into a shiny black surface.

Rarity leaned in towards the mannequin, placing a hand on her chin in thought.

Suddenly the green flame surged up again while she was a few inches away from the scrap covered face of the ‘mannequin’, returning it’s exterior to the usual off-white cloth. The flummoxed unicorn stood up straight in surprise.

With a look of determination, Rarity dispelled the figure once again, and quickly pulled the pins holding the yellow and cyan scraps of cloth to the face of the ‘mannequin’ while shouting, “Aha!”

The face that was revealed had solid blue eyes with no pupils, a curved horn, square muzzle, and sharp fangs complete with the exterior of black, insect like chitin. There was a worried expression on the face, and for some reason a nosebleed consisting of blue blood.

Rarity’s expression changed to one of surprised realization, of what she now recognized was a ‘changeling’ in place of her unique fully poseable mannequin. A changeling that quietly spoke.

“Uh.. I think the cyan would be a good choice?”

Rarity screamed.

Upstairs a teenage unicorn filly stumbled and fumbled her way down the stairs to the ground floor where Rarity’s work room was located. The Changeling quickly re-assumed his cloth disguise with a flourish of green flame while Rarity looked towards the door in alarm. What sounded like a sack of barley sliding across a hardwood floor followed by a loud thump and a squeaky “Oww” could be heard on the other side of the wooden exit.

The door swung open with a frazzled looking Sweetie Belle wearing striped orange black knee socks and a waist long pastel pink camisole saying, “What! What happened! Are you ok Rarity!?”

Rarity turned towards the now disguised changeling, then back to Sweetie, and did a double take just to internally assess that her sister was not aware of the unusual trait of her mannequin. The older unicorn put on an apologetic face and quickly sputtered out an explanation to her younger sister.

“Oh uhm.. I uh.. I poked myself with a pin?”

Rarity stuck her finger in her mouth with a sullen look to emphasize her point.

Sweetie glared at her sister in annoyance.

After a few moments she left while muttering, “Drama queen.”

It took the ivory unicorn several moments to regain her composure, brushing back loose strands of hair, straightening out her halterneck, and doing a quick once over in a nearby mirror to verify her looks were pristine. Suddenly her horn glowed brightly and the surprisingly vast array of ever sharp object in the sewing room, including scissors, thousands of needles, stilettos and a very threatening cactus, took to the air and menacingly pointed at the ‘swamp monster of rainbow cove’.

Rarity spoke in a firm and commanding tone, “Alright now I want some answers! What are you doing here and why!?!”

The sound of teenage filly slurping a juice box prompted the white seamstress to turn her glare from the mannequin to the entrance of her work room where her sister was now in a pink jumper and sipping a tiny juice box. Rarity spoke sweetly,

“Sweetie Belle, what did I tell you about interrupting me while I’m working?”

“Uhm, Don’t do it unless there’s an emergency?” Sweetie replied.

“Is there an emergency?”

“Uh, No.”

The sound of pony sipping juice box continued for about 5 seconds.

Rarity broke the sound with, “Sweetie Belle?”

“Yes?” the adorable filly replied.

“Go play with your friends.”

“Alright! See you later big sis!”

Rarity returned her glare to her mannequin, sharp objects at the ready, threatening hover cactus still menacingly poised.

“Right, now where were we..”

The gorgeous, but now terrifying unicorn mare dispelled the changeling’s disguise once again, and in a show of her unicorn multitasking talents she magically pulled all the needles out of the changeling’s carapace all at once. A shower of colored fabric cascaded off of the smooth black exterior of the insectoid biped leaving him in only the plain brown pants he was wearing before. Rarity assumed it was a him, if his masculine stature and stallion like body type was anything to go by. The changeling was still holding his T stance as before, but now he was effectively shirtless and Rarity noticed a bead of sweat traveling down the side of his face. She also noticed the part about him being shirtless.

Coughing into her fist to straighten out her thoughts, Rarity began pacing around the obviously nervous changeling. She casually examined the buggy, his folded see through wings, the web like mane and tail, his dark blue shell of carapace on his back, the same dark blue carapace outlining his abs, his well defined pecs, his broad muscled shoulders, his strong square jaw, his pert tight rear, his big long.. horn, horn that was slightly curved.
A quiet nervous voice interrupted her reverie.

“Uhm.. Rarity?”

The unicorn stopped her pacing and snapped her attention back to the changeling’s face. With an accusing finger she spoke,

“How do you know my name?! No wait, that’s a silly question, Why are you in my house disguised as my best mannequin!?”