• Published 31st Jan 2015
  • 2,956 Views, 70 Comments

The Mannequin of Carousel Boutique - Emeralddragon2



When dispelling a color changing enchantment, Rarity discovers that one of her mannequins is a little more than it seems.

  • ...
15
 70
 2,956

A Brief Issue

chapter 5 - A Brief Issue

For one prim and proper unicorn, the day had been moving along splendidly. The unicorn in question being none other than the beautiful and stunning Rarity Belle of Carousel Boutique, currently wearing a blue tube top with a trendy black nylon vest and knee length acid wash jeans.

She had just returned from a few errands, dropping off a commissioned ensemble for a secretive client, and dropping off an apology for a close friend. The elegant mare finished her commission in a timely manner thanks to a suggestion helping her decide on a difficult color choice. Rarity was also happy that she quickly overcame her guilt on breaking Fluttershy’s tea set and was able to apologize sooner than anticipated. Of course, these events could have been related to a ‘hiccup’ that occurred two days ago, but the trendy unicorn was doing her best to forget what had happened that day.

Right now, she was more concerned with cleaning up her work room, and relaxing for the rest of the day.

Entering the already fairly clean space with a flourish, Rarity took a moment to levitate a brush and dustpan to sweep up any errant scraps and threads. As she tidied up the work room, the classy unicorn was singing to herself a tuneless song and sashayed as she walked. A mannequin had been left in the room from when she was working on her previously completed commission. The dummy was still wearing brown pants from before since the unicorn mare found no need to remove them while she was working.

She paused a moment to look at the cloth model, and mentally decided to redress the mannequin with one of her more recent designs for stallions and then place it back on display in her showroom. Resuming her tuneless melody, she sauntered back into her showroom with a swing of her hips, quickly returning with an armful of folded apparel that was promptly placed on a nearby desk.

The stylish unicorn turned to the mannequin, leaned forward and reached her hands towards the top edge of the shirtless mannequin’s brown pants.

But she stopped herself when she was but a single inch away from the belt line, her expression adopting a twinge of worry and her tuneless singing paused. Rarity retreated her hands to her chest and stood up straight. She shook her head and said to herself, “Nono, Don’t think about it Rarity. He’s just a mannequin.”

The white seamstress took a breath and resumed inching one hand towards the clasp that held up the brown pants. As her hand got closer, her nervousness became more apparent as she bit her bottom lip. Her movement slowed, tremors started moving up her arm and her breathing became quicker.

She suddenly stood up and closed her eyes to regain her composure, slowly breathing in and out to calm her nerves. A quick twirl and she stepped out of the sewing room, returning a few seconds later to place another piece of garb on top of the apparel that was sitting on the desk. Rarity then stood in front of the mannequin in the brown pants, crossed her arms and turned up her nose haughtily.

“Mr Rouser, I am late for a spa appointment,” said Rarity to the mannequin. “So as a favor to me I am asking you to dress yourself and stand in the showroom, you can leave the pants here.”

The mannequin did not respond. Rarity opened one eye and it continued to stand straight with faceless silence. The white unicorn glared at the mannequin, her arms still crossed under her bust and her tail swishing impatiently. After a few moments, her horn glowed in it’s usual light blue aura, with a matching aura around the cloth model in front of her.

With a slight flash, the mannequin visage was suddenly replaced with that of a changeling. Iridescent black chitin, flimsy insectoid wings, curved horn, pointy fangs, and a robust stallion like build just like before. His expression was that of slight annoyance, but he made no move to speak as he looked towards Rarity with his solid blue eyes. The white unicorn faced away, her arms still crossed and her tail moving from side to side impatiently as she spoke.

“I’m not going to repeat myself Mr Rouser, so if you’d just..”

Rabble Rouser the changeling interrupted with his own quiet tone.

“I thought we agreed that I was to just act like a mannequin.”

Rarity turned her head to the side, leaving only half her face visible to the apathetic black insectoid. She was avoiding eye contact with Rabble, a tinge of apprehensiveness to her voice.

“I-I’m aware of our agreement, but it’s been a stressful week and I’d appreciate it if we didn't discuss this right now.”

If there was any indication that the changeling was caught off guard by her change in mood, Rarity wasn't aware of it.

Several seconds passed by. Rabble lowered his shoulders slightly and softly said, "Go to your appointment." while reaching for the stack of clothing on the desk.

Rarity nodded politely and relaxed her arms, letting them hang by her sides. She swiftly headed for the door, her hooves making loud clicking noises as she left.

The changeling wasn't too off put by the unusual behavior of the unicorn, except he did pause when he identified the extra piece Rarity had added to the pile of folded garments.

Now it's not unusual for mannequins to wear undergarments, but it usually wasn't necessary for a cloth store display model to wear underwear when it was wearing pants. However this stack of clothing was a complete outfit, black dress pants, dark blue t-shirt, black felt jacket, and on top lay a pair of boxer briefs.

Rabble traced the edge of the slimming grey boxer briefs, then furrowed his brow at the pants folded underneath. He picked up the skivvies with one hand and rubbed his chin in a moment of brooding contemplation.

The changeling was happy with his current arrangement as a mannequin. Well, mostly happy. It’s not like there’s anything wrong with asking for a little more, but Rabble didn't want to rock the boat. However, ironic as it was, ‘rocking the boat’ was something that Rabble Rouser was very good at. In fact, he was so good at it that he earned a reputation for it, at least within the changeling ranks.

The concern he had right now was his ability in doing the contrary, or more specifically in keeping his fellow confidant from causing any drama about their current agreement. It was a good thing that Rarity was a very level headed, pragmatic unicorn known for keeping theatrics out of her daily life.

Rabble was having trouble in keeping his breathing steady.

----

Outside of Carousel Boutique, her back against the front door, stood the flustered owner with one hand covering her eyes in embarrassment. In a harried tone she spoke to herself.

"I can't believe I'm not able to dress one of my own mannequins!"

She brushed her hand back through her hair and exhaled a sigh of annoyance.

"It's nothing to worry about. It's probably just.. stress! Yes, I have been working too hard lately and this time off is just what I need to clear my mind."

Rarity nodded to herself, content with that thought, and started to make her way towards the Ponyville Spa.

She held her head straight, but in spite of herself her eyes briefly darted towards her home.

Rarity was having trouble in keeping a normal stride.