• Published 1st Feb 2015
  • 1,976 Views, 27 Comments

Facing Consequences, Making Choices - 1Bit



Concerned about what others may think of their relationship, Rainbow Dash and Applejack try to keep their love a secret. But situations may arise where hiding that love is difficult...

  • ...
8
 27
 1,976

Chapter 9 - Travelling East

The passing countryside was all but a blur to Rainbow Dash, trees and bushes zipping by just inches away from the old train. The faint sound of birdsong regularly came within earshot of the mare, who had her head partially stuck out of the window as she let the wind ripple through her mane. The chill on the wind left her features a little flustered and she eventually clambered back into the small, humid carriage her friends resided in. Despite the pleasant weather outside, the train ride to Manehattan was proving to be a lot more fatiguing than they had originally anticipated. The carriage was hot and a faint smell of sweat still filled the air even after the ponies opened every available window, except for one, which refused to budge, its hinges visibly plagued with rust and decay.

It wasn't the most comfortable of journey's but it was the quickest one available out of Ponyville. In only a few short hours, the six ponies had gathered what little supplies they thought necessary and gathered at the train station. Fortune was on their side when the small train pulled up, the wheels making terribly high-pitched squeaking sounds every time the brakes were pulled. Despite Rarity's whining, they all gathered aboard the train, murmuring a little about the carriage's awful state. Rainbow took little notice of anything aside from the heatwave that hit her upon entering the first carriage. For the hour or so they had been travelling, it had been her main concern.

That, and Applejack ignoring her.

Rainbow clambered back down onto her seat, grimacing as she felt the multitude of broken springs dig into her. She fidgeted on her flank a little, making small grunting noise and uttering occasional complaints under her breath. She breathed a sigh of relief as she got somewhat comfortable and her eyes instantly turned to Applejack, who sat across the carriage. The small glimpse she caught of Applejack's brilliant emerald eyes, left her in a daze, her heart melting. However, Applejack almost instantly turned away from her, staring out into the open expanse of Equestria before her. Rainbow sighed, staring longingly at her marefriend. Did I do something wrong? Did I upset her? The questions ran through Rainbow's mind constantly. I-I didn't try to upset her, what did I do? I can't lose her... Rainbow bit down on her lip, shakily getting down from her seat. She took a deep breath and began to trot across to the apple farmer. Wouldn't hurt to ask, right?

"I can't take it anymore!" The cries of a distressed mare stopped Rainbow in her tracks. She swiftly turned to see a shaken, and slightly crazy, Rarity pacing up and down the front of the carriage. She darted between each of her friends, tears full of make-up covering her face. "I want luxury! I want to be waited on hand and foot! I want a spa! I want civilization!" She finally concluded it all by falling flat on her face in the middle of the carriage due to pure exhaustion. Rainbow merely looked on confused.

"Remind me again why we brought Rarity with us?" She asked Twilight, raising an eyebrow. Applejack sniggered a little, trying to contain herself.

Twilight smiled back, rolling her eyes. "I know we're in for a rough ride, but we need to get to Manehattan pronto. By my reckoning, we're almost there anyway."

Fluttershy and Pinkie lifted the frazzled Rarity up and onto one of the seats, grinning. "She'll be fine in a little bit, girls" Fluttershy said warmly "She's just dealing with the fact she forgot eyelash curler's" She giggled softly.

"That pony was able to forget something?" Rainbow turned to the monstrous pile of fancy suitcases that made up Rarity's luggage. "It looks like she brought half of the boutique with her!"

"Yeah, not sure that an 'Industrial Strength' mane dryer is something you need to survive." Even Twilight managed a smile as the train began to slow, the green hills of Equestria being replaced by colossal stone skyscrapers and bustling roads filled with townsponies, going about their daily business. The old train gradually came to a stop inside a stylish, marble white train station. Incredibly modern compared to the train now stationed there. Twilight led the others down the carriages, an air of excitement about them, Pinkie bouncing up and down happily. At the back of the pack, Rainbow gave Applejack a small nudge, speaking in hushed tones as their friends chattered on.

"Hey, AJ? What in the heck was going on back there?" Rainbow looked over with concern in her magenta eyes. Applejack raised an eyebrow. "Y'know...you ignored me for like the whole trip. What's up with that?"

Applejack sighed. "I wasn't ignorin' ya, sugarcube. Just trying to keep everything on the lay-low around our friends."

Rainbow rolled her eyes. "Yeah, well we didnt even look like friends for half of that, let alone marefriends" She slumped her head, staring down at the carpet.

Applejack smiled, nuzzling her cheek. "You're so cute when ya get mad." The contact made Rainbow blush softly and Applejack giggled. "We'll make it work, I promise."

The purple unicorn was the first to set hoof into the station, a bustling network of ponies darting around her as the busy metropolitans of manehattan went about their business. The other ponies followed behind Twilight, gasping at the size of the station alone in comparison to Ponyville. As the last fuzzy hoof left the carriage, the train chugged away, leaving Twilight and her friends at the station. With a determined grin across her face, Twilight took a deep breath and took a few steps further into the station. She paused for a moment, before extending her hooves out in an almost theatrical style.

"Welcome to Manehattan!"