• Published 1st Feb 2015
  • 1,976 Views, 27 Comments

Facing Consequences, Making Choices - 1Bit



Concerned about what others may think of their relationship, Rainbow Dash and Applejack try to keep their love a secret. But situations may arise where hiding that love is difficult...

  • ...
8
 27
 1,976

Chapter 12 - The Forest

It didn't take long for the small group of heroes to reach Manehattans borders. Unlike the day before, none were taking in the sights of the city. Instead, they were all focused on the mission at hand with Twilight sporting a determined and strong look at the front of the pack. The ponies were quite surprised at how abruptly the city ended, the pavements and roads suddenly replaced by bushes and trees. The further they pressed on, the less ponies they saw, all of the hum and traffic of the city behind them. Twilight stopped the group when the forest came upon them. It hung dauntingly high above them, the trees and overgrown plants all having an unnatural and creepy look to them. Twilight gulped at the sight and tried to look further into the thick tree-line by craning her neck but to no avail. A deep blanket of fog hung around the forest like a warning of the impending danger within.

Fluttershy was hiding behind Applejack when she spoke up. "Do we really have to g-go in there?" She whispered, retreating further behind Applejack.

"I'm afraid so" Twilight replied. "Look girls, I know it doesn't look great but everything indicates that the source of this virus is coming from somewhere in there." She smiled and tried to look strong for her friends.

"Ah'm not surprised myself, that whole pit just reeks of evil." Applejack stepped back in disgust. "Ah don't understand how somewhere like this hasn't been attended to by the Manehattan folk."

"Perhaps they've already tried." Rarity said as she eyed up the forest entrance. "I wouldn't be surprised if a few unfortunate ponies got themselves all caught up in there."

Rainbow slammed her hoof down in frustration and flew to the front of the group. "Well we aren't a few unfortunate ponies!" She proclaimed, making obvious eye contact with a surprised Applejack and making them both blush. "We've taken on a bunch of stuff worse than this before. Nightmare Moon, Discord...what's some mean looking forest going to do to hurt us? We're too awesome to be taken down!"

The other ponies looked hesitant for a second, but soon took on the same confidence as Rainbow had. They gathered around the forest entrance in a close huddle with mixed feelings of nerves and trepidation. A small nod from Twilight told them to move on and they slowly entered the gaping maw of the forest before them.


The beginning of their journey through the thick undergrowth was harder than they imagined. Everything around them reeked of decay and Rarity retched when the putrid smell hit her full on after knocking into an overgrown flower bed. It was hard to distinguish where they were thanks to the heavy fog that hung like a constant shroud in the air alongside the lines and lines of trees they passed from the entrance.

Applejack's orange hooves were quickly caped in thick mud, which clutched on to every fibre of her fur causing her to groan in annoyance every time a new layer was added to the muck.

Rarity was the first to speak after a long and awkward silence. "Um, Twilight, dear? Do we really have to keep trekking through this dreadful place? We haven't even seen any signs of the virus yet." She whimpered as she tried to avoid another low-hanging vine that suddenly appeared in front of her. "I'm all up for saving Equestria, but is there no, cleaner way to go about it?"

"Ah don't think so, 'Rares" Applejack looked behind her with growing concern. "Ah don't rightly know if we can find our way outta this place again. The fog's blocking my view."

"I agree, we have to stick together everypony." Twilight said from the front of the group.

"Well we won't have a problem keeping Flutters close by, she's been clinging on to me for dear life since, like, ten minutes ago." Rainbow sighed, looking down at the terrified mare who was clinging to her body and shaking. "Fluttershy, it's okay, nothing's going to hurt you."

Twilight stopped again as they came to the smallest of clearings, tiny spots of sunlight cutting through the fog and dimly lighting the ground. She looked up at the small patches of blue sky she could see and begged Celestia for luck on their mission. Each pony in turn collapsed into a miserable heap on the grass. Applejack fussed over her hat, groaning when she had to pick out thorns and brambles which had decided to impale themselves in the Stetson. As soon as Fluttershy released Rainbow from her clutches, Rainbow took the opportunity to crawl over to Applejack and nuzzle her side affectionately. Applejack blushed a bright crimson, but said nothing so as not to draw attention to them.

"I missed you last night." Rainbow whimpered, shuffling closer to her marefriend.

"Ah did too, sugarcube. But like I said, let's try to avoid any awkward confessions." Applejack whispered back, resting her head against Rainbow. "Ah don't think it'd help with the task at hand."

Rainbow cracked a small smile and sighed. "I know, but it sucks when all I want to do is just snuggle you and kiss you and-"

"Well we need more of the awesome Rainbow right now and less of the girly, snuggly Rainbow." Applejack chuckled. "So get your game face on, Rainbow."

"Alright everypony." Twilight's voice echoed through the clearing. "We ought to keep moving if we want to stop this thing before it spreads any further. The sooner we get out of this forest, the better."

"I concur." Rarity stood up, defiantly. "Let's get moving before this forest gets the best of us!"

Applejack got up as well, but her hindlegs kept getting tugged back down. "Rainbow, quit it." She whispered, turning around. Her eyes went wide open in terror as the forest came alive before her eyes. The roots that had been clawing and grabbing her hindlegs retreated backwards as the vines and tree branches lashed out towards the group.

Before they had a chance to react, the trees surrounding the group began moving and shifting unnaturally towards them. Rarity let out a scream, falling back to the centre of the group as they all backed further and further into a tight circle. Ragged breathing and pounding hearts joined the cacaphony of the forest and the first beads of sweat began to form on their brows.

And then, just like that everything stopped. The air was filled with a deathly silence. Making them even less prepared when the attack came, and thousands of vines came hurtling towards them at a terrifying speed.

They were trapped.