• Published 30th Jan 2015
  • 1,593 Views, 65 Comments

Equine Fall - ModMCdl



It's been six whole years since the Changeling war, and with the Elements missing, Princess Twilight Sparkle faces an ancient force bent on seeing the end of not only Equestria, but the whole universe.

  • ...
15
 65
 1,593

Iridescent Dreams

---
Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky.
-Rabindranath Tagore
---
Iridescent Dreams
Location Unknown
3 Seconds After the Death of Twilight Sparkle

Twilight awoke to the feeling of sunlight hitting her face. She relented against it, forcing her eyes to stay closed. She turned over, snuggling her face deep into the pillow on her... bed?

The alicorn cracked her eyes open. She was in her old bedroom. Her OLD bedroom. Twilight recognized the loft she was in, and the assorted bookshelves lining the walls, and the small corner desk where she would stay up late working at. Some rational part of her brain tried to tell her that what she was seeing was not possible, that she was hallucinating. But it was too real, and there was no denying it. She was back... before the world had been thrown into chaos... before she had moved into a palace... before she had even become an alicorn... Twilight was laying in the bed of her old Ponyville treehouse.

She climbed out of bed hesitantly. 'There is no way the past seven years of my life was a dream...' However, there was no denying it. Twilight was in her old home. One she hadn't seen in over seven years. Tapping the floor with a tentative hoof, she finally convinced herself that it was real.

Twilight opened the door and went downstairs, only to find a very busy Spike. "Spike?" asked the unicorn, still trying to comprehend the absurdity of it all. "Oh Twilight! You're finally up!" he said happily returning to his dusting. "Y-yeah. I really enjoyed sleeping in," said Twilight, a sense of joy suddenly seeping into her voice. She was back. The world was fine. It was all just a very long and a very bad dream.

"Woah, you okay?" asked Spike, suddenly concerned. "You ENJOYED sleeping in? Who are you, and what did you do with Twilight?"

The lavender mare chucked, a smile appearing on her face. She had almost forgotten how much of an egghead she was before everything happened. Her smile widened at the fond moniker Rainbow Dash used for her. The rest of Twilight's friends thought that the nickname was annoying, but the way Rainbow said it... a shiver ran up the unicorn's back.

"Spike," spoke Twilight. He turned towards her, eyebrow raised. "Do you happen to know where Rainbow Dash is?" There was something that Twilight wanted to do, and this time, she wouldn't wait for the apocalypse to make the decision for her. "Um, no?" he replied questioningly. "Why would I know where she is?" The mare just rolled her eyes and walked out into Ponyville.

Making her way to where her friend's cloud home was, she looked around town. It felt like forever since she was last here, even if it was only a dream that lasted the night. The question of how such a long dream popped into her head somewhere along the way, but she easily answered it as the fact that psychological time was distorted and could play by faster than real time, and that years or even decades could pass within the course of a few hours, as opposed to how-

"Yo! Watch where you're walking!" The lavender mare let out a small 'oof' as she collided with another pony. She fell, rubbing her sore muzzle, and still in a bit of a daze. "Oh, hey Twi! What's up?" The unicorn looked up into the magenta eyes of Rainbow Dash, who was currently holding out a cerulean hoof to help her up. She reached up and took the hoof.

Twilight OS featured one of the most powerful processors in the world, and could handle any problem, computation, or "EXTREME" graphics. However, as soon as it discovered "awesome.exe" and tried to process its extreme beauty, it brought up the first blue-screen-of-death in it's 2 Yottabyte memory.

"Uhhh, you okay, Twi? You're kinda' zoning out there," said Rainbow, poking the unicorn in the nose. This caused Twilight to blush even harder. "I'm p-perfectly fine, R-rainbow..." she mumbled back.

She accepted Rainbow's outstretched hoof, and hoisted up, coming up right next to the cyan mare. Very close. Their coats brushed together, and Twilight, caught in an immeasurable bliss, unconsciously slipped under the pegasus's wing. "Twilight?" Dash raised her ear at the purple mare now snuggled under her primaries. "Are you sure you're okay?" She nudged Twilight. "Cause you're kinda' acting strange..."

The unicorn noticed what she had done, and immediately slipped out from the embrace. "Sorry! So sorry! I was um..." she struggled to think of some excuse, any excuse. "Cold! I was cold!" Exclaimed Twilight, as she sweat profusely. 'Please don't comment, please don't comment!'

"Twilight." Rainbow threw her wing back over the anxious mare. "If you wanted me to put my wing around you, you only needed to ask." Twilight's muzzle flushed as the feathers brushed against her flank. "Now, it seems you have something you want to tell me?" Dash grinned wickedly at the unicorn now trapped against her.

'Does she know?' Her heart fluttering in her chest, Twilight forced herself to calm down. "N-no... there isn't really anything-" Rainbow cut her off with a half-sigh half-laugh. "Twi, I'm the awesomest mare in Equestria. I know what people look like when they have a crush on somepony!" Squeezing the mare closer, she added, "So, wanna' tell me who she is?"

'You!' cried her brain as the studious unicorn fought to find an answer. "I, um- wait! How do you know if it's a mare?" she did a double-take. The athlete just smiled smugly at her. "Because I know what gender I am, Twi."

Twilight, who was now in full-out panic mode, desperately tried to make whatever Rainbow had said appear as misinformation. "Oh... well, I guess that makes um.. sense? You being a mare and all... um... yeah! It would make sense that you know your own gender!" She internally face-hoofed at the lame whatever-she-just-did.

Dash cocked an ear. "What?" she asked, completely lost at what Twilight had just said. Twilight, more composed now, said, "I said that it makes sense that you know that you're a mare. But I don't see what that has to do with me being homosexual." She internally smiled at the excuse.

"Actually, bisexual," she added as an afterthought to herself.

Rainbow visibly deflated. "I thought- nevermind." She lifted her wing from Twilight, who immediately missed its presence. Then her gaze turned cold, and her voice devoid of emotion. "Well, good luck with that. You should just tell her, it'll make everything easier." Then she turned and took off into the air, soaring towards her cloud home. The lavender unicorn reached a hoof out to her, as if to try and stop her, but she was already gone.

"BUCK ME!" cried Twilight into her hooves as she curled up into a ball in the grass. "Why couldn't I just tell her! She practically said she liked me! So why didn't I just come out and tell her?!" She refused to ever forgive herself for this... First in her dream, and now here, in real life...

---

Location Unknown
7 Seconds After the Death of Twilight Sparkle

Rainbow crashed though the brush, crying Twilight's name, trying to find her. She had only been searching for a few minutes, so she knew the lavender alicorn couldn't have gone far. Yet it still concerned her that she wasn't even answering her. "I'm sorry!" she finally called out, feeling that Twilight might be more inclined to emerge if she knew that Rainbow wasn't mad at her. It didn't work.

Growing more concerned with each passing second, Rainbow ran faster, almost running off of a cliff that seemingly appeared out of nowhere. Looking over the edge, she saw it went down for easily about a few thousand hooves before it met the lower landscape. With the darkness of the night, and the heavy cloud cover, she couldn't see what was below, but it still impressed her.

However, now was not the time to be enjoying the view. She had to find Twilight before something bad happened.

Following the edge of the cliff, she started walking alongside the drop. Then, she froze. Up ahead was a vaguely lavender form, laying on a small precipice dangling over the edge of the cliff. It was not moving. Dash galloped over to it, confirming her worst fears: it was indeed Twilight.

"Oh my gosh..." Rainbow collapsed onto the ground next to the non-moving alicorn, staring directly at the half-broken horn that was now pushed deep into Twilight's skull. Upon placing her head on Twilight's chest, she confirmed that her remaining friend's heart was no longer beating.

Twilight was dead.

She had her chance right in her hooves. Twilight had returned her feelings for her. So why did she have to go and get angry? Dash didn't know. All she had known was that at the time, she felt an aggressive charge towards Twilight because she had felt conflicted. What had taken her so long to come and check on her. At the time, she didn't believe that Twilight truly did love her. And now... she was dead because of it.

Rainbow had killed her best, and only friend. And in that action, she had destroyed her love.

As awkward as Rainbow would have normally seen it to be cuddling with a dead body, that's exactly what she did. Tears streaming down her face, Rainbow pulled her friend into a tight embrace, crying softly into the ever-cooling lavender coat. Slowly, she cried herself to sleep.

---

Location Ponyville
14 Minutes After the Death of Twilight Sparkle
~5 Days After Meeting Rainbow Dash~

Twilight trotted back and forth in the meadow beneath Rainbow's house restlessly. The cyan pegasus had not returned home yet for the day, and Twilight was waiting for her to. Dash had been avoiding Twilight all week- ever since the conversation. The unicorn had decided it was time to pony up and tell the prismatic mare about her feelings before she lost her chance.

Alerted by a sudden streak of cyan and rainbow flying towards the cloud above her, Twilight hastily prepared a teleportation spell. As soon as Rainbow landed, Twilight cast the spell, instantly appearing in front of the pegasus's front door.

Dash jerked back as a sudden lavender pony appeared in front of her. "Dash, I-"

Looking back on it, Twilight felt incredibly stupid. She wasn't an alicorn, no matter how real the dream had felt, which meant she couldn't walk on clouds. She hadn't cast a cloud-walking spell either. So naturally, she fell through the clouds when she teleported.

Flailing her legs and screaming, Twilight plummeted towards the ground. She even cast the cloud-walking spell on herself, whatever good that would do. However, with only inches left between her and the grass, she was swept sideways by what felt like a giant, furry bullet. Rainbow Dash held her tight, and came to a stop in an area shaded by a tree.

Twilight had her face buried in Rainbow's coat, refusing to let go. "Twilight," spoke Dash gruffly. "Let go." The usual tomcolt in her voice wasn't here, it was only replaced by a tone dead of any emotion. Twilight couldn't take it. She hated her now. 'Forget relationship... I had ruined our friendship too.' Twilight began to softly cry into the cyan coat as she unhooked her legs from the mare. Dropping onto the ground roughly, she didn't care anymore. Twilight had woken up from a terrible dream to a nearly similar reality.

Rainbow looked down at Twilight, instantly feeling regret for her hatred. It wasn't Twilight's fault that she didn't like her. She supposed it was just the fact that she had let it slip that she may have liked Twilight. But still, that was no reason for her to hate on her friend. After all, how loyal would she be if she just saved her friend, dumped her, and didn't even ask if she was alright?

"Hey, Twi." Dash lay down next to her. "I'm sorry. I- I didn't mean it like that..." She gingerly placed a hoof on Twilight's chest, trying to calm her down. It seemingly did nothing to calm down the distraught mare. Reminiscing back to earlier, Rainbow had an idea. She opened up her wing, and slowly placed it around Twilight, pulling her into a wing hug. "Shhhhh," cooed Dash. "I'm sorry I was rude, okay? Shhhhhh..."

Rainbow Dash suddenly realized how stupid the whole situation was. Twilight was crying because Rainbow told her to let go. 'Maybe it was more of the shock...' However, her hypothesis quickly deteriorated as the wing calmed Twilight down substantially.

"R-Rainbow... there is s-something that I need to t-tell you," she stuttered, half mumbling into the wing. Twilight figured she might as well savor it's touch. Who knows what messing with the cyan mare's emotions would do to the potential relationship. Twilight didn't even know if Rainbow still had feelings for her after the mistake.

"Go ahead," Rainbow nudged the unicorn with her hoof, insinuating that she should continue.

"Rainbow, I-I lied when I spoke to you earlier t-this week," began the purple mare. "I-it really was y-you that I like." Twilight tried to shrink in on herself, ready to receive a scolding for playing around with the pegasus's emotions. To her surprise, she felt the prismatic mare only pull her tighter.

"No kidding."

Those simple words. Those two simple words clashed in Twilight's skull. 'Just because she knows doesn't mean she returns the feeling.' And from the lack of action and voice on her part, she most probably didn't.

Twilight began to cry again. Why did she have to go and buck things up with Rainbow Dash? For her, this was like a second chance, a way to start over fresh. And she had ruined it. She looked at Dash, hoping for some sort of forgiveness, and instead, she saw a sardonic smile plastered on the cyan pegasus's face. That was it. She couldn't take this.

Rainbow looked down at Twilight with her signature smart-ass grin, but it quickly vaporized as she noticed the the lavender mare was crying again. Twilight pulled away from her now stunned grip, and ran a few steps before leaping, almost as if she were trying to fly-

"Twi?" she asked nervously as the unicorn hopped around, straining her back muscles. She really looked like she was trying to take flight, but without the proper anatomy. "Are you trying to-"

"NO NO NO NO NO!" cried out the unicorn as she collapsed to the ground in a fit of chest-heaving sobs. "PLEASE SOMEPONY MAKE MY LIFE JUST END!" she screamed into the night sky.

Wait. When had it turned nighttime?

Twilight seemed to almost seemed to shrink into herself as a sweeping cold swept over the unicorn. She turned to look at Rainbow, seeing if she had the same reaction. Instead, she watched as the love of her life slowly melt away into a puddle of molten pony.

"RAAAAAAAAINBOOOOOOOW!!!" she cried, leaping towards the puddle. As she approached it, however, the liquid shot upwards, rapidly taking the shape of a larger pony, this time, with wings and a horn. It was an alicorn.

Slowly slinking away from the new creation, Twilight gasped in awe as the form exploded, leaving Princess Luna in it's place. "Princes Luna!" she said, automatically bowing.

The goddess of the night waved an unclad hoof at the unicorn. "There is no need to bow to us, Princess Twilight Sparkle. More stressing matters are at play than mere formalities."

Shock coursed through Twilight as she fell back onto her flank. Luna had called her "princess." What in Equestria was going on? "Y-you called me a princess, Princess?" she asked, confused.

Luna smiled softly at her. "Indeed I did, Twilight," she spoke without her royal tone this turn. "If my inferences are correct, you are in the illusion that Equine Fall was a dream?" She looked at the "unicorn-alicorn-princess-maybe" knowingly.

Twilight nodded slowly. "Yes- wait, what's Equine Fall?" she asked. The studious mare had never heard of before.

Noticing Twilight's contemplative look, Luna sighed and smiled again. "It is not a tale you can find in any known book, Twilight. It is legend. However, unlike other legends, this one holds truth." She gestured for the mare to sit next to her. "It all began a very long time ago..." she said, spawning a large tome out of nowhere.

---

When the universe was first created, it was meant to be chaotic. Back in those days, chaos reigned supreme over harmony, with no control whatsoever. But it was not long before two gods, Celestia and Luna discovered the Elements of Harmony, a fail safe created in the event that the universe's chaos turned cataclysmic. The used its power to banish the chaos.

The Creators, in return, swore that to ensure that nothing like the downfall would ever happen again, they created the Five Planes of Existence. These planes would be separated by raw magic, and could not be crossed easily, or without the aid of the Creators.

They divided up the current species by their power and aggression. Eventually, the one world that used to be a home to every living creature in the universe, was slit into fifths. Each section designating their own ethereal power and abilities.

The first plane is known as the Magic Plane. It is, visually a perpetual grid suspended in an endless Twilight. The grid directs and coordinates the flow of magic, supplying it to all those who have been granted the power to access it.

The second plane is known as the Original Plane. It is a pristine, unblemished paradise. Uninhabited, this world is beautiful, full of forests, and rivers, and majestic oceans. It is considered by many to be Elysium. This world has unlimited access to the Magic Plane, without any necessary catalysts. Nothing in this world can truly die. Upon "death," they are set into a dream state while their body heals, which portrays the world as they wish it, however, unlike a dream, do not have any major control over its events.

The third plane is known as the Physical Plane. It is an inhabited world, where the inhabitants have full control over every force. They can control the weather, rotate the planets around a star, and control the orbit of their moons. They also have access to the Magic Plane, however, require a catalyst such as a unicorn horn to harness its power consciously. This is the location of Equestria.

The fourth plane is known as the Universal Plane. Its inhabitants are at the mercy of the elements, and cannot access the Magic Plane without an extremely powerful catalyst, such as the Elements of Harmony. Their world is vast, stretching far beyond a single star system. This is the location of the Human World.

The fifth plane is known as the Ethereal Plane. It is a vast void, filled with swirling energy. It has no access to the Magic Plane, but doesn't need it. The place is filled with raw power. Little else is known about this world, other than that it is the location of the Creators.

These planes were designed to be in separate existence of each other. Nothing should be able to cross the rifts. However, in the case that an extreme cataclysm ever occur, each world was given one portal that would only be accessible every 30 moons.

Any other means of getting through the rift were sealed, and the Creators created the Changelings to patrol the rift. These creatures live in massive hives located around the "holes" between worlds. They have the ability to take the form of whatever species may interfere with them, so that their existence may remain a secret. They are also the only known creatures who can kill immortals.

Celestia and Luna were placed in charge of the domains on a Magical Scale. They oversee the use of magic by the intended users, and end any conflicts that may occur when magic is involved. They have been granted eternal life, however, in the case that they should die, their existence shall be unending in the Magic Plane and the Ethereal Plane, so that they may continue to watch over the realms. Which plane the one chooses to prevail over upon their demise is their choosing.

This effect will remain in place for the next 14 Aeons. Only the Creators have the power to restore the universe to its original state. Each world has its own designation for the time in which the planes will unite:

1: Ad Finem
2: Resurrection
3: Equine Fall
4: Armageddon
5: Revelation

Until that time, wait.


---

Twilight slowly closed the old book. "What did I just read?" she asked quietly. She was particularly alarmed at the fact the universe was "created" almost 13.8 billion years ago, which was exceedingly close to 14 Aeons.

Luna looked down at her solemnly. "The history of our universe."

The pair sat there for what felt like hours, before Luna spoke again. "Why did you run away from her?" she asked the lavender mare softly. Twilight looked up at her. "Why didn't you explain to her what you felt?"

Tears began to flow down the unicorn's muzzle. "I was afraid that she would hate me." Luna raised her eyebrow, and opened to respond, but was cut off before she could. "She kissed me. And then she ran away. Then, I tried to comfort her, and tell her that it was okay for her to like me, and she rejected me."

Twilight took a moment to pause, as she choked out a strangled sob. "A-after she had kissed me! I couldn't take it. She didn't like me, and now she hates me... so I ran." She looked back up at Luna. "I'm dead, aren't I. We were in the second plane, Elysium, and the collision killed me." She randomly waved her forelegs about. "T-this, this is just a dream. A dream I'm stuck in until my body fixes itself."

Luna gently rubbed the distraught mare's back. "You are very smart, Twilight. Yes, you were in Elysium, and yes, this is indeed the death slumber. However, as you have probably also realized, I took reign over the Magic Plane upon my fate. Therefore, I have access to greater amounts of magic that you will ever use in a thousand lifetimes." She stood up and away from the lavender unicorn. "I also have power over dreams. That is how I am speaking with you now."

She tuned back to face Twilight. "I can increase your healing. In the the real world, you have only been dead for half of an hour. I can finish the healing process in another three."

Twilight quickly did the calculations in her head. "So, for me... I'm stuck in this dream for another month?" 'With a vengeful Rainbow Dash?' she added to herself. Then she realized the state of the Rainbow back in the real world. "O-on second though, and you just let me die?"

As if reading her mind, which she probably could do, having supreme power over the night, Luna smiled and replied, "Rainbow Dash doesn't hate you, Twilight. As we speak, she is cradling your dead body in her arms as she despairs." A blurry image of a cyan mare curled over a non-moving purple one hovered next to the goddess.

Luna walked up to Twilight. "And as for the dream, I can make it last only a second longer."

Twilight's vision of the Princess began to fade away to black. Realizing what was happening, she cried out one last question. "Is Celestia in the 5th plane?" Right before the darkness took her, she heard the faint reply.

"She sacrificed her domain there to save Cadence and Shining Armor."

Author's Note:

Sorry for the long wait guys! It took me a while to get everything in order, plus there was an intense session of writers block about what to write after the "explanation" and yeah...

Well how about that, Whitewolf?! Twilight isn't dead, but she is! Happy? :ajbemused: