• Published 28th Jan 2015
  • 2,952 Views, 90 Comments

The Light Behind the Veil - Gunner59524



Join a new hero, a Guardian Titan named Tiberius, and his Ghost, on a journey beyond the veil of the Darkness to save a spark of light beyond the edge of the system.

  • ...
4
 90
 2,952

Rapid Arrival

Well.... about three days ago.... the shit hit the fan. So, earlier I said the Hive had arrived. I wasn't joking about that.... and I ain't jokin about this either. These ponies, the powers and skills they wield..... they're formidable. The purple one, Twilight Sparkle, used her powers, her magic, to blast Hive again and again, create a dome shield, and then turn that shield into a deadly shockwave that blew away ALOT of Hive without harming me or or our other companions. On top of this, the Pegasi have the ability to use their very WINGS and the CLOUDS THEMSELVES as weapons. Wing mounted blades and lightning strikes.... Professional as I'm supposed to be, I'm not gonna resist the urge to call this completely badass, cause it was alright, fucking badass. The Earth Ponies were no less awesome. Saddle mounted javelins, hoof mounted and bit trigger composite metal crossbows, wielding swords with their mouths and in some cases SWORD STAFFS! I'm talking double bladed melee madness. I swear they had some semi-auto combustion weapons too but those were few and far between. Regardless, they're a budding civilization that had the ability to fight back a Hive swarm. They are ORGANIZED and it has been proven to me that they are RAPIDLY advancing. I underestimated their courage and zeal. There was something else too.... a much stronger than usual sense of camaraderie. Again and again I witnessed them saving each other's lives, covering each other's backs. Later it was explained to me by Princess Twilight Sparkle that friendship is held with almost religious importance in this nation and on this world. That fact alone speaks volumes. Despite varying levels of distrust towards me and Sparks from the Equestrian soldiers, suffice it to say, I would be afraid if I were the Hive, cause they got a formidable force and Guardians breathing down their necks. These ponies are FAR from helpless.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Equestria, Equis. February 22nd, 2300 Hours

High in orbit, miles above Equis, a spectacular event was unfolding. High above us as Twilight and I watched through the telescope, we witnessed a small tear in space opening up. From it leaped a small but fierce looking vessel.

I chuckled to myself as Twilight gasped and whispered "Amazing...."

"That," I said, "Is the Aurora Lance. That is the vessel bringing us some much needed backup."

Sparks materialized between us. "Got a comms request incoming. You guys wanna hear?"

Twilight nodded and I gestured for him to open a link.

He spread out his outer prisms, a sphere of blue energy appearing within, his core centered within that. "Link is open."

"This is Titan Tiberius. Richard you hear me?"

It took a moment for the reply to come.

"Tiberius, it's good to hear you're alive. Hive still giving you trouble down there?"

"They've backed off for now," I explained, "but I have no doubt they'll be returning. We have a meeting with the leaders of this world in two and a half days though so let's try to focus on that. Speaking of which, one of them is here now. Princess Twilight?"

"Greetings Richard, I'm Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Friendship here in Equestria," she said.

Richard chuckled, almost laughing. "Well, that's a happy-go-lucky title if I've ever heard one. Gotta admit I'm curious how you earned that one. In any case, it's good to meet you Princess, though I wish it were face to face. All the same I'll be down shortly. Give me a few minutes and I'll be in atmosphere and dropping off right next to you guys. Population is aware of us by now I assume?"

Twilight frowned, just as I did. "Much as I hate to say it," Twilight explained, "They are, but not all are happy about you guys. Alot of them are hailing Tiberius as a hero already but there's a growing group of ponies that are much more distrusting of the Guardians. They're skeptical, some blaming you guys for bringing these monsters here...."

"HAH I wish," Richard said, "That would mean they're too focused on us to care much about your world. Sadly they're very interested in it. Scans already show rich mineral resources and thriving ecosystem, something all the factions of Darkness can thrive off of in some way. If you got any significant tech among you then the problem with the Fallen is gonna multiply."

Twilight frowned at that. "That's distressing...."

I sighed as well. "Regardless, he's right.... we're gonna have to prepare on many fronts.... Richard, the enhanced transmitter on my ship was damaged in the crash so I was lucky to get even a distress beacon out as far as the Sol System. I assume yours is working better?"

"Hell yeah, I got a pretty clean link with some Guardians closer to the edge of the system.... or as clean as it's gonna get. I can relay messages through them. Interference in the atmosphere is gonna be a problem though so the ship will have to be in orbit for the messages to get through. Spectre ain't happy about it either.... Oh right, Princess my Ghost's name is Spectre, just so you're aware."

She giggled, "Thanks for answering that question before I even ask it."

"What can I say," Richard laughed, "I'm awesome like that. OW! Don't zap me little prick!"

"Stay focused," they heard Spectre say in the background.

Richard sighed. "Right.... be down in a few guys. Again it's a pleasure to meet you Princess. Can't wait to meet face-to-face."

"Likewise Richard, see you soon," she replied.

"Richard out."

Sparks retracted his prisms. "Transmission ended. He has our position so he'll drop nearby."

Twilight tilted her head. "Drop? Shouldn't his ship land?"

I shook my head. "Jumpships, when undamaged and working properly, can function on their own for long periods of time, maintaining an automatic orbit and responding to remote commands from the owner when the need arises. The way you've seen Sparks here phase around himself and our materials like he does is how our ships deploy their Guardian owners. The ship will make a quick flyby low to the ground, phase Richard and Spectre to the surface beneath the vessel, and then it will return to orbit on its own, likely maintaining a geo-synchronous orbit above us."

Sparks nodded. "In doing so, the ship can relay clearer messages between owner and allies even while we're on the planetary surface or even a couple miles underground, similar to how it worked when Tiberius and I visited our homeworld's moon."

Twilight nodded, drinking in all the information. She was clearly fascinated by all of it, the scholar that she was. I couldn't help smiling a bit. Her curious and scholarly expression was somewhat.... endearing.... to be honest.

Twilight then had a thought, "Wait how does he already understand my language?"

Sparks chuckled. "We can use our translation abilities in more ways than one Princess. For example, I listen to what you say in your language, translate it, THEN send it to the recipient all in less than a second. Ah the powers of high tech computing."

Twilight giggled. "I suppose that makes sense. Brings up another question though. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say Tiberius here is trying to learn our language. I heard small differences here and there from when he was saying a sentence in our language and when he was saying one in yours and having it translated by you or his armor."

I chuckled, impressed by her rather strong powers of observation. "Indeed I am trying to learn, with Sparks' help of course."

"He's progressing quickly if I do say so myself," Sparks chuckled, "He always was a fast learner. Took to work as a Guardian rapidly in fact, and already knows a little bit of some of the older languages in our history, such as the one associated with Rasputin, a computerized warmind in our solar system designed in the golden ages to aid in defense. We had learned it was called Russian not long before coming here in fact. Too bad Rasputin doesn't actively speak to anyone.... would make for an interesting conversation."

"I don't quite speak that one fluently yet Sparks, considering there isn't a whole lot to go off of in the first place," I reminded him.

"True enough. All the same, he should be speaking your language like a pro before you know it."

Again, that endearing, scholarly expression of curiosity and amazement appeared on her face. Again I had to smile. Dare I say it was a little cute? Holliday would have something akin to a fangirl attack if she were here, a thought which made me have to suppress a laugh. All that in mind.... I think I'm gonna like it here.... when we're not being attacked by the armies of the Darkness.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"LZ in sight, autopilot engaged," came the voice of the Ghost named Spectre.

"A couple minutes behind schedule though.... you're losing your touch," Richard teased.

"Shutup and get your gear. And don't forget Tiberius' new helmet."

"Alright alright. Equipment selected, helmet ready for transfer too. I'm ready to go."

Spectre nodded and began the sequence.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Look here they come!" I said.

Sparks, Twilight, and I watched as the Aurora Lance finished descending through the outer atmosphere, the orange flames of reentry no longer glowing on her hull. She approached fast and hard, somewhat visibly unnerving Twilight. The ship didn't even slow down and flew right over us before flying back up. Twilight was confused for a moment, failing to notice the flash of light that was the result of Richard's transfer. Then she noticed the Hunter, his smiling blue face beaming at the group.

"Hello everyone," he exclaimed.

I laughed, "Richard, it's damn good to see you here."

He chuckled, "Good to be here Tiberius. Before we get started, here." He held out my new helmet.

I accepted it with an excited and grateful expression. "My new Holdfast! Dude you are AWESOME! Thank you for this." I tried it on, the coloration shifting as it synced with my shader, and spread out my arms, looking around. "How do I look."

Sparks nodded. "Not bad Tiberius, looks rather awesome. The antenna makes it look functional but it maintains a sleek appeal."

Twilight giggled, "Looks great."

Richard nodded in agreement, "Dare I say badass?"

I couldn't help chuckling. "Thanks again Richard." I smiled and removed the helmet. "Where's Spectre?"

"Right here. I will admit, the helmet looks good on you Titan. Good to finally meet you." Spectre said as he materialized among the group.

"Likewise Spectre." I smiled and nodded respectfully.

"Good to see a fellow Ghost here," Sparks spoke up, "If it isn't too much trouble, you think you could help me and Tiberius fix up our ship in our spare time?"

Spectre nodded. "May as well. Better to have this thing functional ASAP."

Sparks nodded and he and Spectre got to work on continuing repairs on the Valkyrie.

Richard smiled at Twilight. "Good to meet you face-to-face princess.... though I will say that you aren't quite what I expected." He chuckled.

Twilight giggled, "You aren't what I expected either Richard. Didn't expect to see a blue human."

Richard tilted his head. "I'm an Awoken actually."

Twilight blushed. "Oh.... heh, my mistake."

Richard nodded. "No worries. I'd like to keep chatting, but sadly I feel I should get to work helping with the Valkyrie. If we don't have that thing fixed up ASAP, we won't be completely prepared for further encounters with the enemy."

Twilight nodded. "I completely understand. I should return to the castle anyway. My friends will wanna know of your arrival. It was good meeting you." She turned and made to leave, waving as she left. "See you later Tiberius!"

I waved goodbye to her. "Laters!"

"So Tiberius," Richard began, "I brought some extra materials that I can beam down from Lance at any time should we need it."

"Do you have any idea how much of a relief it is to hear that?" I laughed.

"I have a feeling that you must be overwhelmed with joy," He said with a semi-sarcastic tone.

We shared a laugh. "Shall we get to it?" I asked.

The Awoken Hunter nodded and we joined our Ghosts in repairing the Valkyrie. Things were starting to look up again.

Author's Note:

FINALLY! I'M BACK! I do apologize for the absence, college got ahead of me you could say. Good to be back in action though. The adventures continue guys! :D