• Published 26th Feb 2015
  • 5,073 Views, 521 Comments

Sunset Helpers - Spirit Shift



Sunset's life is finally getting the boost it deserves, let's hope that she can keep it that way.

  • ...
17
 521
 5,073

CH27: Next Move

“Well… that didn’t work.”

Sunset stared at the closed door in front of her, idly recalling what the definition of insanity was, and if it would apply if she tried the door knob again. Just like how one would look inside of the fridge for food multiple times, she lazily tried the knob one more time.

Still locked.

After steeling her resolve, Sunset attempted multiple times to get Coalstone’s attention, first by shyly calling his name. Then, after a while of that, she tried getting closer to him. Though she made sure to not get close enough to experience firsthand how hard you have to swing a hammer to break a stone.

Afterwards, she began studying the sculptures around him and mused about how detailed they were. When that got tiring, she went back to trying to make conversation with him, though it ended up being more like making conversation with herself. She went on about her day, ranted about Screwball, and her pranks, and the events of the last few days.

By the end, she actually felt a bit better, though no closer to even getting a small bit of his attention.

Then, just as she had been about to leave, he stopped hammering. Sunset, who had been checking her phone, looked up in surprise to see him stretching and taking a small break.

She called out to him, and unlike the last several dozen times she did, he actually turned to face her.

He said only one thing before ushering her out physically.

“Oh, you’re still here?”

The sweet sound of a guitar riff snapped Sunset back to reality. Reaching into her pocket, she pulled out her phone and opened it to see an image of one of her friends sticking their tongue out at her.

“Hello?” she answered.

Rainbows voice came loudly through the phone.

“Sup, Sunset! Whatcha doing?”

Sunset looked back up to the door before turning and leaning on it. “Trying, and failing to make a new friend. I think I might just go home,” she said, sighing.

The girl on the other end of the phone let out a short laugh. “More Screwball problems? Pfft don’t worry about it. But I’m glad you’re going home because I wanted to tell you that Coco is also on her way back.”

Sunset’s brow rose a few millimetres. “Oh so you’re done ‘borrowing’ her?” she said, smirking.

“Eyyup!” Rainbow said, mimicking a certain cowboy.

Sunset shook her head and began walking down the hall, taking one more second to look back at the door. Making a short promise to herself she went back to Rainbow.

“So what did you need her for?” she asked.

“Can’t say, it's a secret!” she quickly replied. “Listen, I’ll talk to you tomorrow! Gotta go.” And with that, she hung up, leaving only a bemused Sunset to stare at her phone before making her way downtown.

Maybe Coco would tell her.

~~~

“I can’t tell you,” Coco said, crossing her arms in a large X shape in front of her.

Sunset slouched over. “Oh come on!” she groaned.

The two of them met up at the house and decided to recap the day's events at the kitchen table over a drink. Well… drinks, as Sunset had one cup of tea, but Coco was already on her third cup of milk.

And what was supposed to be a recap was immediately more of Sunset talking about the volunteering she did while Coco kept quiet about everything that happened after the two had separated that morning.

“Sorry, Sunset,” Coco said, chuckling. “But Rainbow made me promise not to say anything about what we did.

Sunset rolled her eyes. “Whatever, I’m sure you guys will surprise me with something at some point SOMEwhere down the line,” she said, leaning back in her seat and crossing her arms, her face the very definition of a pout. “It’s cool.”

Coco’s chuckled quickly turned into outright laughter, said laughter, made even cuter by the fact that she struggled to cover her mouth, immediately turned Sunsets fake frown into a very real smile and soon, their laughter filled the room.

“Oh! Wait,” Coco said, finally stifling her laughter. “So what happened? Diamond asked you to meet her cousin right, how did it turn out?”

Sunset’s laughter also ceased and her face slowly fell into more of a pensive look. Her gaze fell to the table and she found herself fiddling with her fingers.

“Well… Not terrible, but not great either… or really even good,” she began in a low mumble. Coco urged her to continue.

“I thought it would be better if I told him upfront why I came to see him, but I was awkward and didn’t really know how to follow up. So he ended up telling me that I didn't need to do what Tiara said and that he’s fine being out of her way.”

Coco tilted her head slightly. “So… what do you want to do?” she asked.

Sunset shook her head. “I thought about leaving, but you should have seen him. He was all alone in that big room and when he talked I could hear some of that loneliness in his voice.

“So be his friend!” Coco said, smiling that usual bright smile.

Sunset smiled alongside her and nodded. “I don’t think I want to just give up. .Like you all did for me, I want to show him that he can open up to people. He seems really closed off right now. I think it might have something to do with the kinds of things he sculpts.” Her thoughts immediately went back to the sculpture of herself that she saw among his collection.

“What kinds of things does he make,” she asked innocently.

Sunset’s brow furrowed in thought. “They looked like… goblins… or manticores? They had really wrinkled and gross faces, bat wings, claws,” she paused for a second, “ and most of them were hunched over, like they were parched on something.”

Coco thought for a second before her eyes lit up. “Are you talking about gargoyles?” she said, leaning forward.

Sunset could only shrug and tilt her head. “I don't know… maybe? Is that what those are?”

Coco stood up and turned to walk out of the room. “Hold on a second.”

Sunset took a sip of her drink, idly noticing that at some point Coco had finished off her cup during the conversation. Meanwhile, she could hear Coco walk briskly up the stairs and begin rummaging around her stuff for something.

After about a minute or five, Coco returned to the kitchen as Sunset poured herself another cup of tea. Sweet delicious soothing tea.

Excitedly, Coco returned to the table and began flipping through pages to find something. Just as Sunset sat down, Coco pushed the book towards her, nearly hitting her hand that was holding the drink.

Her eyes widened, and she pointed to the image in front of her. “That’s it!” she exclaimed, looking right at the picture of a grotesque statue with the same claws, wings, bulbous body and hunched over pose. It wasn’t an exact match, but definitely would be something in the same species as what Coalstone sculpted.

Coco nodded, her smile beginning to look more like a smirk. “I knew it! This is a gargoyle, they’re staples of gothic architecture. My dad is a big fan. You can normally find them perched on top of skyscrapers. I’m guessing you probably don’t have them in Equestria.”

Sunset simply raised a brow curiously while scanning the book in detail. “What’s a skyscraper?”

Coco hummed. “Or those… I guess.” She raised a hand as high as she could. “Skyscrapers are really REALLY tall buildings.”

That caused a light to shine in Sunset’s head. “Oh! Like in Manehattan!”

Coco quickly stifled a giggle, this not having been the first time she heard a pony parody of a name from her world, though it wasn’t any less funny hearing it again.

Sunset, meanwhile, continued to read through the book, oblivious to the joke she just told. Her brow furrowed as she turned the page. “This book doesn’t say what these creatures are though?”

Coco gently took the book from her and closed it. “No, this is just the first architecture book I found with a picture of it. My dad is an architect so he sometimes sends me books with interesting building designs.” She let out a small chuckle and held the book close to her chest. “I think it’s his way of trying to connect with me since I'm a fashion designer.”

Sunset could only smile. “That’s cute. But do you have a book I can read about what they are, maybe then I can learn why Coalstone makes so many of them.” The put a finger to her chin in thought. “Actually, now that I know the name, I can probably find a book on them in the library.”

Coco shook her head furiously. “No, don’t do that!”

This took Sunset by surprise. “What? Why?”

“If you want to be friends with him, ask him directly,” she said leaning in close. “If he likes them as much as you say he does, he’ll probably love to finally be able to talk about it.”

Sunset looked from her, then to the book, then back up at Coco. “That way I can connect with him in a genuine way! That’s brilliant!” she cheered, looking up at her friend with a wide smile.

Coco immediately blushed and sat down back into her seat. “Th-thanks,” she mumbled, hiding her face behind the book. “I’m just glad I could help. Sorry, if I got too excited.”

Sunset, meanwhile, had immediately begun forming a battle plan. Meeting Coalstone today was too sudden, and she didn't have any time to get mentally ready. But now, armed with info on who he was and what he liked, Sunset was certain that she could become friends and get him to open his heart to her.

*DING*

Interrupting her thought process was the familiar chime of her phone. Reaching down, she pulled it out to see a new message notification.

“It’s from Rainbow,” she muttered, her eyes scanning the message.

“Oh!” Coco gasped, shaking herself back to normal. “What did she send you?”

Sunset looked up at her, and her face immediately gained the most malicious smirk, the kind that would definitely be familiar to someone who knew Sunset a year ago. And it was a smirk that told Coco exactly what she was about to hear.

“It’s a secret!”

Author's Note:

There! The Chapter you were SUPPOSED to get this week. Whoops lol