• Published 4th May 2012
  • 3,122 Views, 44 Comments

Covalence - jdl179



Fluttershy always said, "Everypony needs to be shown a little kindness." Even a prideful boaster?

  • ...
2
 44
 3,122

Regret

Chapter 1: Regrettable Actions

“They watched as the great beast tower above them, enveloping the very ground they walked on in its shadow. The ponies could not but watch in horror as the town they knew and loved was flattened under its feet. However, there was one mare that was brave enough to try to stop the beast; she steadied herself and concentrated. She struggled as her magic slowly forced the beast away, leaving the town in ruins and rubble, but peaceful once more.”

“In the aftermath, the ponies found the mare whose actions and boasting spurred two foolhardy young colts to prove her worth, lying amidst the detritus that was once her home. The mare could not believe her eyes, the powerful and courageous mare that saved the little hamlet stood above her, with a look of pity in her eyes.”

“The mare fled, leaving behind everything she owned. She sprinted towards the forests that sat in the edge of the town; she disappeared in the forest, leaving not a trace.”

“And that, my little woodland creatures, is the tale of the Great and Powerful Trixie’s failure,” She paused, beginning the dramatic end, ”Nopony has seen her for quite some time, maybe she escaped to dragon territory, or ended up the dinner of some starving manticore in the Everfree Forest.”

Trixie gave a shallow bow as the animals ran back into the dens; a few squirrels approached the blue mare as she finished. They placed a small assortment of fruits and nuts at her hooves; the mare gathered the gift and smiled as the squirrels returned to their homes.
______________________________________________________________________________

“Two acorns, twelve mulberries, a pinecone, and a......” Trixie picked up the last item the squirrels gave her. She gave it an experimental sniff, but couldn’t smell anything. She brought it up to her mouth and bit lightly on it. Her face scrunched up as her teeth scratched against the surface, “They gave me a rock?” she sighed, “third time this has happened, dumb rocks.”

Trixie picked up the berries; she emerged from her makeshift home with a sigh. She ambled towards the creek that served as her bath; she dunked the berries under the water and watched as flecks of dirt and debris were caught in the river’s flow. She pulled them out and examined them; they were clean enough for Trixie. She slowly walked back into her shelter. She placed a berry into her mouth and chewed, happy that she is having her first bit of food for the day.

‘It wouldn’t be this way if you just apologized to Ponyville.’ Her conscience whispered. Ever since her failure in Ponyville, the small voice that was her conscience constantly berated her, mocking her or attempting to coax the stubborn mare back into society. Trixie chewed louder, trying to block out the nagging voice.

‘If Trixie goes back, those foals would undoubtedly mock her,” she countered,” They would laugh and sneer at how the “Poor and Helpless Trixie” has crawled back to them, I’m never going to let those ponies see me as long as I live.’ With that, Trixie swallowed the last of the berries. She turned towards her stockpile and grimaced; she brought the pinecone close to her muzzle and sighed. She forced the pinecone into her mouth and hurriedly chewed, she hated the bitter taste pinecones left behind.

She carelessly tossed the acorns and rock into a small woven bag and settled down for the night. She pulled a large pile of leaves together and unceremoniously jumped into it. She snuggled against one of the larger piles and laid her head, ready for sleep to take her away. The Everfree forest fell under the lull of night; few animals would venture out that night, most content to sleep in their dens.

The voice continued to rave in her head, ‘I must say Trixie; this pile of dead leaves is so much more comfortable than the rocks you decided to sleep on for the last few nights. This certainly is a step up for you; maybe soon the animals will bring three acorns.’

‘wonderful, my own conscience is mocks me,” Trixie mused,” There has to be some silver lining to this.’ She knew that she couldn’t support herself on the offerings of the forests animals. Trixie and the animals liked each other enough, but the animals had to scrounge for every bit of food they already had.

‘Oh Poor and Deluded Trixie, there is no way out of this,’ Her conscience remarked, ‘You may as well suck it up and go back to Ponyville, abandoning this glorious loner lifestyle you’ve made for yourself.’

Trixie shifted against her makeshift bedding, trying in vain to drown out the hateful voice in her head. ‘No matter what happens, Trixie will never go back to Ponyville,’ she said to her conscience, ‘Now if you would be so kind, shut up.’
Her consciousness ebbed away as she fell into a restless sleep.
______________________________________________________________________________

“Oh, Boo-hoo,” a unicorn colt mocked, pushing the helpless blue filly to the ground, “The Weak and Worthless Trixie is gonna cry again,” He lifted Trixie’s so-called “Magician Cap” off the ground and snorted. “Where’d you get this dirty old thing?” He snickered and casually tossed the hat into a puddle.

“I bet she found it in the trash,” one of the colt’s friends called back. The other colts and fillies nodded in agreement. “She probably stole it from the trash of that deserted magic shop.”

The group of cruel foals stalked off, laughing and calling out, “Trixie the Trash Picker”. Trixie picked herself off the dirt and wiped her eyes. She promised herself she wouldn’t cry; that would show those foals. Trixie grabbed her hat and shook off the muddy water that now stained the lip. She placed the less muddy hat on her head and walked out of the park.
Trixie lived with her mother in a little house in the outskirts of Canterlot. Her mother did what she could to support her baby girl, especially after her father’s... accident. Trixie walked in to her mother and the smell of pie in the air. Trixie carefully placed her hat and cape on a shelf and greeted her mother. “Smells good, who’s it for this time momma?”

Her mother smiled and lovingly patted her daughter’s head; she pulled the pie out of the oven and set it on the windowsill. “Well sweetie, this is for that lovely couple that cleaned up your father’s hat after you....” Her mother spied the dirty hat and sighed, “After you had your last little fight.”

“It wasn’t a fight momma, honest,” Trixie protested,” Silver Swirl pushed me down and tossed papa’s hat in a puddle.”

Her mother sighed and pulled Trixie into a tight hug. Trixie returned the hug and listened to the soft shuddering of her mother. Her mother hugged her tighter and tighter, forcing little Trixie to adjust so she wouldn’t be squeezed to death. Her mother pulled away from the hug, she looked at her daughter and wiped her eyes. “Trixie, I don’t want you using your father’s old hat anymore; it’s all I have left of him. I also really, really, really don’t want you going anywhere without a friend, alright?”

Trixie stared at the ground and said, “Yes momma.”

Her mother pulled her into a deep hug, together the mother and daughter shared a moment of harmony.
______________________________________________________________________________

Trixie groaned and shakily rose to her feet. She sleepily lurched towards the river, counted to three, and dunked her head under the water. She shrieked as the ice cold water enveloped her senses; she pulled her head out and roughly shook the moisture out of her mane. She smiled at her now cleaner mane and pulled it into a rough bun before tying it up with a length of bulrush stalk.

She returned to her shelter and pulled out what little food remained from the animal’s generosity. She chewed through her food and grabbed a small bowl, now she was ready. She sighed and sullenly said, “Hopefully, Trixie will get some more of those berries, I can’t handle anymore pinecones.” Trixie shuddered.

The clearing bustled with the sounds of the forest, birds sang to their lovers and the mice played in their dens. Trixie admired the serenity of nature while she foraged, keeping ever vigilant for the wayward berry bush or patch of edible grass. The monotonous nature of her foraging drew Trixie into a lull, unaware of her surroundings save for the call of nature. She savored every small victory a few berries brought, how she would enjoy them when mealtime came around.

Morning slowly shifted towards afternoon, by that time Trixie was satisfied with her haul. “Well it seems that Trixie is better and finding food than the animals in the forest.” She placed the bowl on her back and cheered. The animals filtered out of their dens to watch the strange mare cheer, eliciting a number of snickers. Trixie heard the chattering laughter at her expense and immediately made her way back to her shelter, hoping the animals only saw that small part of her celebration.

The forest grew dimmer and dimmer as Trixie entered her home; she placed the bowl lovingly on the floor and licked her lips in excitement. She placed several berries in her mouth almost immediately, savoring the lightly sweet juice that flowed out.

She savored every moment, and regretted every second after putting the still half-filled bowl away. ‘Unless Trixie doesn’t want breakfast,’ her conscience chided, ‘you should save enough of those for tomorrow.’ For once, she had to agree with her conscience.
______________________________________________________________________________

Night fell over the forest again, a faint shifting outside of her shelter spurred to mare awake. Trixie eyes shot open, “Something outside,” her mind blared. She quietly stood up and tensed up, ready for anything. She listened to the forest around her; thankfully it had all gone quiet. She heard faint snuffling outside; she snuck outside and hid from the offending animal. All she could see were thick patches of orange fur, a rough red mane, and a scorpion tail. She gave her thanks to Celestia that she had not decided to confront the beast directly.

She knew she would have to abandon the shelter or become a late meal for this animal. She snuck away quietly, leaving the manticore to tear down her home for the last month and use it as bedding. She allowed her pace to quicken as the distance from the beast increased; she felt her pride swell as she realized she bested the forest again. “Oh foul beast, outsmarted by Trixie,” she cheered, “Was there ever any doubt.”

A loud roar stopped Trixie’s cheering and froze her where she stood; she heard a faint rumble grow louder. The forest rumbled as the manticore charged at the blue mare, eyeing Trixie like a starved pony would eye a slice of cake. Trixie found that her legs could move again, she ran from the manticore. She sprinted between the trees, leaping over roots that would trip lesser ponies. She cringed whenever the manticore got close to growl; she felt the hot, dirty breath on her back. She pushed her body further; she felt her leg twist. Her body pitched forward, leaving her in a heaped mess. She panicked and strained to pull her hoof out the hole it was caught in. Her hoof refused to budge; her desperation grew as she saw the manticore bound towards her. “Somepony, anypony please help Trixie!” She cried. The manticore approached and stood over her like a trapped prey.

Trixie felt her consciousness fade as certain doom loomed over her; her last fading vision was of the manticore, lifting a heavy, clawed arm.
______________________________________________________________________________

Fluttershy had always had a deep fear for the Everfree Forest; be it the foul beasts that stalked through the trees in search prey, to the empty ominous void the forest gave off with each fleeting moment. But she found the resolve to venture into to forest for her pet, Angel.

Fluttershy found that Angel could become a hurricane of endless rage on rare occasions. He tore through Fluttershy’s cottage, breaking any object he could get his hands on. Fluttershy desperately begged and pleaded with the small white torrent of anger, trying to keep her house in one piece. Eventually, Angel stormed out of the cottage and into the forest; leaving Fluttershy alone to pick up the pieces.

Foregoing the cleaning, Fluttershy chased after her pet. Her calls grew louder as he ventured further into the forest, leaving his caretaker behind to blow off steam.

Her fear of the forest kept her from venturing too deeply, her calls grew more desperate as the sun began to lower. She steadied her resolve and ventured slowly into the forest, hoping and pleading that she and her pet would be able to survive this trip.

Her calls for Angel were unheard by the rabbit, he found more of his kind and spent the day forcing the woodland creatures to his whim. Leaving Fluttershy alone, calling for a pet that wouldn't return to her.

The night slowly consumed the forest and the fearful mare with it. She was torn between what to do. Leave her pet for the night and find him tomorrow; or search for him the whole night, hoping he would turn up eventually. She cowered in a bush as she weighed her options.

She made the resolve to step out of the bush and face her problem head on; were it not for the roar that echoed through the forest, causing the timid mare to dive back into the bush. The roar quickly faded as quickly as it came, leaving the shivering Fluttershy to hide from the monster that would appear out of nowhere and would get her. She heard a piercing shriek within the forest and panicked, ‘What do I do? What do I do?’ She thought.

Her duty to help anypony or any animal rose up and told her to go help, in a demanding tone that Fluttershy herself would never even dream of being able to muster normally.

She quietly zipped between the bushes, careful not to make a sound. She heard the sound of panicked hoof beats and the cries of a pony in distress. She leapt out of the bush in search of the pony to find a dirty blue mare stumble and twist her hoof in between a trio of thick tree roots, she watched as a vicious manticore stalked up to the fallen mare, licking its chops in anticipation of a fine meal.

“Somepony, anypony please help Trixie!”

Fluttershy gasped; Trixie was here, in the Everfree Forest? She breathed in calmly for a miniscule second before charging out and facing the manticore.

“HOW DARE YOU!” She shouted, “You do NOT eat ponies!”

The manticore stared at the newly arrived yellow mare; it felt a small twinge of fear as the mare stepped closer.

“You,” Fluttershy hissed, “I remember you.” She drew up close to the manticore, putting her eyes as close to the manticore as she could. “So I help you pull out a mean, old thorn, and this is how you’re going to act?”

She felt a familiar warmth in her chest and locked eyes with the errant manticore. The beast visibly began to cower at the new, confident mare now scolding him. It backed away from seething eyes of the mare, realizing that it would also be stepping away from his prey.

“Now,” Fluttershy scolded,” You will go back into the forest, think about what you’ve done, and no dinner for the night. Is that clear?”

The manticore frantically nodded and fled into the deep forest. Fluttershy calmed as the manticore fled. She looked down at the unconscious mare before her. She placed Trixie on her back and made her way home, Angel would have to wait.