• Published 6th Oct 2012
  • 1,376 Views, 13 Comments

Applejack Shy - HareTrinity



Applejack has problems getting her dream mare

  • ...
7
 13
 1,376

Big Failure

Applejack was in high spirits and humming to herself as she pranced around the front room. It was silly, of course, but... Fluttershy WAS coming over. It WAS quite mysterious... No! Not mysterious! The orange Apple mare scolded herself, but nonetheless smiled around the old feather duster she held in her mouth. No, this was nothing too weird... A little mysterious, maybe, but Fluttershy came over quite frequently to get fresh apples for her animal friends, so this would probably be nothing. Still, a filly could dream...

Winona came dashing in and started barking at Applejack's feet. The mare grinned around the duster and started to dance about with the dog, who became more and more excited as she did so. The pony was wearing her long blonde hair down today and as she danced it flowed freely through the air behind her. It did the same in many of her fantasies, inevitably ending up entwined with the pink mane of another... Applejack tossed the feather duster aside and swept up Winona in her forehooves as she danced about, the dog's tail wagging wildly as she did so. Applejack smiled, drifting off further into her daydream and starting to hum to herself.

"What's all thees? You got some sorta fever, girl?"

"Oh!" - Applejack put Winona down, grinning despite her reddening cheeks - "Nothing like that, Granny! Just feelin' mighty good today, is all!"

"Mm-hmmmm?" The old green mare eyed her granddaughter suspiciously. "You sure you don't need me to be stayin' in to watch you? Why, I've heard that some-"

"No, no, no! Ah insist, 'm just tryin' to perk the place up a bit! You go have fun, now, an' don't forget to pick up Apple Bloom on the way back! Not that a wise old mare like you would eva' forget a thing like that!" Applejack grinned again.

"Ooh, trying to butter me up, eh? Well, I don't know what you're up to but it best not end up with the place covered in soap like that one ti-"

"Granny!" interrupted Applejack, rolling her eyes. "That were years ago and you know it! Now come on, off ya go, you keep on sayin' how ya wanna get out more often!"

Granny Smith chuckled to herself as she was hurried out the door, Winona at her feet. Applejack smiled warmly as she watched them go...

Best family in whole world, she thought to herself as she retrieved the feather duster and returned to cleaning surfaces around the lower floor of the house. The rooms had a simple enough set up, not much in the way of decoration, and yet still managed to collect so much dust between anypony finding the time to clean it. However, today was as good a day as any, especially if she were to make a good impression on her guest...

Ah, her guest. That modestly proportioned pony who, unlike most pegasus ponies, rarely made use of her wings. Oh, the differences weren't obvious, but over the years Applejack had started to spot the signs: A very slightly more rounded build, less pronounced wing muscles, her soft hair and fur showing no signs of weather damage... To think, Applejack had first met Fluttershy she hadn't been impressed by the overly sappy pony. "What use is it, being so quiet and soft?" she'd thought, "Can't expect to get anything done when acting like that!" However, all these views had changed that time with the bull. That day many years ago the beast had got loose and he was more than a little angry. Applejack had almost got things under control when Fluttershy, misreading the situation, leapt in to "help". For a moment the farm mare had thought she'd need to take the pegasus to hospital, but Fluttershy had spun around to face the angry ox and yelled "STOP!" and fixed it with her now notorious stare. The creature had skidded to a halt, shocked, and just moments later was nuzzling up against Fluttershy like an affectionate kitten. Ever since then it was as if Applejack had been hit by the same spell as the ox: Fluttershy had become a goddess of peace and kindness in her eyes, and it had been soon after this encounter that the fantasies had started to creep gently into her mind and fill her with warmth. When Nightmare Moon had appeared and Fluttershy had come forward to help, why, it had only increased Applejack's opinion of her! Not to mention that being the bearers of the Elements of Harmony had made them closer friends, something Applejack had been wanting for a long time but never found the way to suggest. Since then things had gone so smoothly between them, maybe all been leading up to this day...

Eventually Applejack put the feather duster down on a small, crooked, side table and looked around at the somewhat cleaner room. As she watched the dust clouds swirl about in the sun beams she allowed herself to trail off into thought, her mind going from reminiscence to the situation at hand...

Of course, it was very, very, silly to hope it was something special, something like THAT. Much as Applejack knew Fluttershy was perceptive, and hardly the forward sort, and that setting up something like this might be just her way of finally letting Applejack know that the feelings were... No, it was silly. A silly young filly’s hope: That although her advances seemed ignored, that maybe, just maybe, Fluttershy would come and sweep her off her hooves, that they'd spend long days in each other's company (and longer nights), and that finally she could look to that gorgeous pegasus and tell her what had been in her heart for so long. The relationship itself would start slowly at first, neither quite sure of how to proceed after such a long build up, but then as time went on they'd become more and more accustomed to each other and closer by the day, and one day Fluttershy would finally look at to her with those big blue eyes and- was that the door?

Applejack let her hat remain on the peg as she went over to the door, her mind still playing the end of her fantasy. It was just a silly filly’s hope, sure, but she felt she owed it to herself to indulge herself with her daydreams from time to time, even if the outcome would never be-

On the doorstep was Fluttershy with a bouquet of flowers.

Applejack faltered, her mind exploding in a mix of fear and confusion as she looked towards her wildest hopes, only managing to respond with, “Ah, uh... Fluttershy? Are those for m-“

“Uh-huh!” came Fluttershy's muffled voice through her mouthful as she trotted in excitedly.

YES! ...No, wait...

The cold touch of doubt was washing over her, something was wrong... Fluttershy was never this forward. Also, she’d gone past her, to the nearest sink, where she was readying a vase.

“Oh, I do so hope he likes them!” crooned Fluttershy as she set the flowers up in the vase. “What do you think, Applejack?”

Stomach dropping, the orange pony cursed herself for letting herself think such things. Then, trying her best not to let her disappointment show, she replied, “Oh... Big Macintosh?”

“Oh yes!” whispered Fluttershy excitedly, beaming with a warm joy as she set the vase on the side and headed back towards Applejack. “I’ve decided I’m going to talk to him! I’ve been waiting for so long and- oh! Did I wake you up? I’m sorry...”

Applejack eyed Fluttershy. Wake me up? What the hay i- oh, my hair...

“Aha, no, sugar cube, it’s... All good... We get up early on this here farm, ‘specially at this time o’ year...”

Not a reply that explained the hair, but that was to be expected. It's not like she asked directly about it, and what could I say anyway? "Oh, you see, I was hoping you were coming to romance me and wanted to look the part! Nevermind eh, let me put the kettle on whilst you wait to whisk away somepony else!" ...Darn... Well, I won't lie. If she asks directly, I'll have to say something...

Fluttershy looked confused but didn’t press the matter.

Typical Fluttershy. And know what else is typical? That you want my brother, but not me...

“Um, well... He’ll be here soon, won’t he?”

That soft voice, like velvet... Darn it, Fluttershy, why him...

The earth pony nodded, trying to mask her emotions with a casual tone as she replied, “Ah reckon so, he’s been busy what with this hot weather bringing the customers out, nothing like a fresh apple on a hot day an’ all, but he normally comes back to refuel, to eat his own lunch and refill the cart, ‘round about now...”

There was an uneasy pause.

“Ah... You can prob'ly wait for him here, sugar cube. Shouldn’t be long now...”

“Thank you Applejack,” murmured Fluttershy, smiling sweetly.

I can't even stay angry at you, not when you look at me like that... The farm mare turned her head, looking around the room and trying to come up with something to talk about.

Another pause...

Applejack glanced back to the cream-coloured pegasus. Her long, elegant, mane and tail, those gorgeous blue eyes... Was there something you were meant to do in this situation? Other than challenging her brother to a duel Applejack came up empty. It wouldn't do to blurt out her feelings to Fluttershy either, not after the pegasus must have worked so hard to build herself up to this. Still, it didn’t seem entirely fair... Could she really say nothing?

“Fluttersh-“

The door opened, interrupting Applejack, and a large, red, stallion trotted in. He paused briefly as he noticed the two mares and then continued on towards his room.

Applejack cleared her throat loudly. Big Macintosh paused. For a moment nothing happened. Applejack looked over to Fluttershy to see that the pony was staring agape, having clearly lost her nerve.

Great, first it’s him she’s after and now I’m the one who has to help her? Figures...

“Ah reckon Fluttershy has a gift for you, Big Mac.”

He looked over to Fluttershy, who made a small collection of squeaks before rushing back to grab the vase and quickly hurrying back. There was a notable lack of her normal elegance as she held up the flowers to Big Mac's face.

The stallion stared at the flowers. Fluttershy said nothing. Applejack glared at her.

Just how much of a filly in distress are ya?

“Ah ALSO reckon she’s got something she wants to say.”

“I, um... I... Would you... Uh...”

Oh, come ON. I need some alone time, not to be stuck matching my girl to my brother!

Finally the pegasus blurted out, “Would you go out with me...?”

Her voice had gone quiet and squeaky towards the end but was thankfully still audible.

“Ee-nope.”

Big Mac continued on towards his room. Fluttershy stared after him, too shocked to respond.

“HEY!” - Applejack was suddenly in front of him, glowering - “Is that any way to treat a mare?”

Big Mac blinked, looking mildly confused by his sister’s outburst. “Ah just don’t feel like that about her, sis.”

“Ya... What?”

After a pause Big Mac apparently took the silence as permission to leave the room and did so, leaving two bewildered mares behind him. The orange pony stared after him, honestly baffled to find that her interests weren't shared. The yellow pony trembled a little before breaking into tears.

“Oh, I was so... To think that... I’m sorry, Applejack, for-“

“Hey...” Pulling herself together the orange earth pony trotted over and nuzzled friend’s face gently. “It’s okay, sugar cube... Big Mac’s like that with a lot o' ponies. Ah felt fer sure you’d do better, but Ah guess some things just aren't meant to be...?”

For a while they were like that, Fluttershy occasionally nuzzling back into Applejack’s comforting snout. Then, sniffling, she pulled herself up.

“Thank you Applejack, I... Sorry... I think I’m going to head home now...”

“Want me to come with? Ah could do with the exer-“

“No, thank you... I’d rather be alone for a while...”

With that she left, the earth pony staring after her.

Applejack, alone again, sighed. This hadn’t gone as anypony had planned... Still, just as well she’d never admitted her crush on Fluttershy; not likely she was in with a chance after all. Maybe she isn't even into mares... Applejack picked up her hat and slowly trotted off to find her hair bands. There would be work to be done on the farm...