• Published 18th Jan 2015
  • 551 Views, 27 Comments

Vinyl Scratch: A history - Novalis14



Vinyl Scratch a hard partying pony who enjoys life to the fullest. But how did she get to where she is now? Join Vinyl as we take a walk down memory lane.

  • ...
1
 27
 551

Audition

The flier had been very eye catching

SCHOLORSHIP AUDITIONS FOR CANTERLOT ACADAMY FOR THE PREFORMING ARTS

OPEN TO ALL MUSICIANS UNDER THE AGE OF TWENTY

Classical, Jazz, Pop, Rock,Blues, and more, instruments provided.

Held at Starswirl Square in Central Park August 4th

Vinyl had spotted it on a lamp post when she was staking out a hotdog vendor's stand. She had told herself that she was only going because there would be lots of pockets to pick. Honestly though she wanted to hear the music.

The crowd was massive, as was the line of auditioners. Most of the people in front of the stage were parents of the performers, though a hoofull were there just to spectate. Vinyl made her way to the front pushing between ponies, sometimes slipping a few bits out of their pockets, a girl had to eat.

She had just gotten comfortable when the announcer came onto the stage and introduced the first pony for the Classical genre. Vinyl appreciated all kind of music but her feelings about classical were the same as the performers came and went. It felt dry, empty, she couldn't feel the soul of writer like she could in other types of music.

Pop, Rock and Blues all passed by and Vinyl was enjoying every minute of it, when Jazz came she had to exert self control to not just bust out dancing. Last came Electronic, Vinyl was mesmerized, she could hear so many types of music all flowing together like a symphony, carefully guided by the musicians movements over the synthesizer table.

The last pony of the day took the stage, the young colt walked up to the synthesizer and set in the sounds he would need. The crowd went quiet as his hooves reached for the play button.

What came out of the speakers was possibly the most auditory offensive combination of sound that Vinyl had ever had the displeasure of hearing. Ears all through the crowd became pinned to their owners heads. Vinyl resisted the urge to cover her ears, how could some one be so terrible at this. Something welled up in Vinyl, she couldn't ignore this atrocity, it needed to be corrected.

Before she knew what she was doing Vinyl scrambled up onto the stage and pushed the colt to the side. Her horn lit and her hooves descended, instinctualy she began to use the colts presets to craft a song. The sound soothed her ears and soon all she could feel was the instrument under her hooves and the music flowing from her heart and out through the speakers.

She couldn't tell how long she played but when she was finished she opened her eyes to see a crowd with tears in their eyes. Vinyl started at a voice to her right.

“I never thought it was possible to show such real passion through artificial sound.”

The silence now broken the crowd began to roar with applause. Vinyl grinned, she felt more content then she ever had.


The auditions were over and Vinyl was about to leave for her cardboard home when she was stopped by a stallion. “Young lady your music was brilliant, if a bit rough, I can tell you have the soul of a musician. I can also tell your life isn't the kindest.” Vinyl became wary at those words, there was no way she was getting dragged off to an orphanage.

”Do you know what this event was for?”

“Auditions for scholarships to some fancy-shmancy canterlot school.” Vinyl answered.

“Correct. I have a proposition for you. I would like to offer you a scholarship to study music at that fancy-shmancy school with free room and board. Would you be interested miss....”

Vinyl was shocked, she knew she was pretty good but she had never thought she would ever be able to go to school, let alone a rich kids music school. She thought over his offer for a moment before speaking.

“Scratch. I call myself Vinyl Scratch.” A grin crept onto her face as she reached out her hoof.

Author's Note:

So I just want to say I know as much about music as the average person knows about star travel. AKA just the basics. So I want to apologize if I got anything wrong.