• Published 13th Jan 2015
  • 3,083 Views, 42 Comments

A Tale of Two Dusks - New Beginnings - keaton-furman-prower



Dusk Shine helps Sonata Dusk rebuild her life. Is he up to the task?

  • ...
6
 42
 3,083

Rock Bottom

Dusk watched in amazement as Sonata devoured her tacos. He had barely gotten through a single taco, and Sunset still had a relatively full plate of nachos. Sonata, on the other hand, had already eaten three tacos, and was now holding a fourth in her hand.

"Slow down, Sonata," he commented in amazement. "You'll get the hiccups if you go on like that!"

"I can't help it," Sonata gasped, just before she shoved the taco into her mouth. "Ber fo gooth! "Tacof at va beff!"

Sunset laughed at Sonata’s attempts to speak with a mouthful of taco. Sonata gave her a quizzical look.

"What?" Sonata asked after swallowing her food. "Haven't you ever talked with your mouth full?"

"Most people try not to," explained Sunset. "I'm guessing you're not one of them?"

“Well, why don’t people do that?” Sonata questioned, holding up another taco. “I mean, wouldn’t it save a lot of time to talk while eating?”

“Yeah, I’d talk a lot more if I did that,” Dusk commented. “No one would be able to understand me, but I’d do a lot of talking.”

“Why wouldn’t they understand you? It’s not like you’d be speaking in another language!”

Dusk rolled his eyes and chuckled to himself. There was certainly no telling what was going through Sonata’s head, and it was proving to be quite intriguing.

He briefly wondered if it had anything to do with the strangeness going on at Canterlot High.


“You guys sure took a long time to eat!” Sonata announced as they walked out of Taco Spell.

“Not everyone is as enthusiastic as you, Sonata,” responded Dusk, walking on Sonata’s right side.

“Especially when it comes to tacos,” added Sunset, on Sonata’s left.

"I don't get it," said Sonata. "Don't they know that tacos are a blessing from the gods?"

Dusk Shine raised his eyebrow in confusion. He then turned towards Sunset, who simply shrugged.

"Well, you're an... interesting person, Sonata," said Sunset. "Anyway, it's getting late, so I'd probably better get going."

"Yeah, I should probably get back home too," said Dusk. "I don't want my parents to worry about me."

"Yeah... parents," said Sonata. "Sure."

"I'll be leaving you guys now," said Sunset. "See ya!"

"Bye!" Dusk said as Sunset walked away.

"Yeah," said Sonata. "See you later."

Dusk turned towards Sonata, a look of concern in his eyes.

"Are you okay?" he asked. "You sound awfully worried about something."

“Oh, I’m fine! Nothing to worry about!”

Dusk raised his eyebrow.

“You know, I did offer to help you, Sonata. If there’s something bothering-”

“Oh look at the time! I gotta go! See ya Dusky!”

Before Dusk could say anything, Sonata had already run off. As he watched her running away, he began to walk in the direction she had taken.

“Sorry, Sonata. I can’t just let you run off without knowing what’s wrong.”


Dusk walked through the streets, doing his best to keep up with Sonata without letting her notice him. She had slowed down, and was occasionally turning around to make sure she wasn’t being followed. For the most part, however, she was simply walking down the street with no apparent destination in sight.

Finally, she turned around and walked into an alley. Dusk silently cursed and ran, hoping that she wouldn’t take another turn before he could spot her again. However, when he finally got to the alley, he was shocked by what he saw.

There were a couple trash cans covered with a sheet of fabric forming a makeshift tent. Underneath lay a bag full of clothes and other items, a couple of newspapers to cushion the floor, and finally Sonata.

Dusk approached her quietly and watched as she sat under her tent and opened her bag. He tried not to gasp as she pulled out a wallet and searched through it. He then cringed as she screamed out in frustration and threw it against the nearest wall.

“It’s not fair!”

As Sonata broke into tears, Dusk decided he could take no more. He began to walk towards her, not even bothering to hide his steps, although Sonata was too distressed to take notice of him.

“Sonata?”

The blue girl jumped in shock at the sound of his voice.

“Dusk?! What are you doing here?!”

“I followed you here,” replied Dusk as he sat down next to her. “What are you doing?”

Sonata looked towards her tent in horror before turning back to Dusk.

“Oh, well, you see, I’m… camping!”

“Camping?” Dusk said, unconvinced.

“Um, yeah!”

“Sonata, you have a tent made of four trash cans and a sheet in the middle of an alleyway. The only people who’d camp out like that would be totally crazy, and while you may be a bit of an airhead, I don’t think you’re crazy.”

There was silence. Tears began to flow out of the girl’s eyes.

“Sonata… please don’t tell me you’re actually living here.”

She couldn’t help it anymore. She sank her head into Dusk’s chest and began to cry.

“You… really do live here, don’t you?”

“No!” she sobbed. “You told me not to tell you!”

Dusk stared at her in shock. He’d known she was going through problems, but he’d never imagined she was actually homeless. Now that he did, however, he was worried. He didn’t want her to go on living in such terrible conditions, but he didn’t know what else she could do.

Suddenly, an idea hit him.

“Maybe you could stay with me!”

Dusk spoke before he could think his idea through. Mentally he smacked himself. How would his family react to him having invited a random stranger into their house? Would they approve of his bringing her in?

Then, he looked at Sonata. She was staring at him with a mix of shock and hope on her face.

“You… mean it?”

Dusk could hardly ignore the look she was giving him with her eyes. Her beautiful violet eyes.

“Um… yeah,” he said.

Sonata’s eyes widened as a huge smile formed on her face.

“For realzies?”

“Uh… for realzies.”

“Oh thank you!” Sonata said as she hugged him tightly. “Thank you, thank you, thank you!”

“Yeah!” said Dusk. “Just don’t choke me!”

Realizing what she was doing, Sonata immediately let Dusk go and blushed in embarrassment.

“Um, sorry about that,” she said. “So… should I pack up my stuff?”

“I- yeah, sure.”

Smiling, Sonata began to toss the few things she had out of the bag back in. Dusk, on the other hand, began to worry.

What was I thinking?! he thought to himself. I just told her that I would let her stay with me! There’s no way mom and dad will be okay with this! And when Gleaming finds out about this… oh man, when Gleam finds out she’ll never let me live it down.

Oh well, I guess I’ll just have to deal with that when I get there. I mean, as long as I’m helping Sonata, everything should turn out just right.

I hope.