• Published 13th Jan 2015
  • 3,063 Views, 42 Comments

A Tale of Two Dusks - New Beginnings - keaton-furman-prower



Dusk Shine helps Sonata Dusk rebuild her life. Is he up to the task?

  • ...
6
 42
 3,063

Sunset's Idea

Sunset sat at the entrance of the school. It was a Saturday, and so there were few students who could snoop around and spy on her. Not that people spying on her was a problem, but Sunset preferred having some privacy when doing this sort of thing.

Satisfied that no one would interrupt, she pulled a book out of her bag. It was a large book with an image of her cutie mark on the cover. She opened it up and began to turn the pages, until she found a blank space to write.

Dear Princess Twilight:

How have things been? I've been doing well. Recently more people have been accepting my friendship, and my friends have been closer to me than ever. It's a long shot, but I think they're all finally starting to put the whole “raging she-demon” thing behind them.

The sirens haven't been causing any trouble either. Probably because their magic amulets were broken, but even so, I'm kind of surprised that they haven't been doing anything. Two of them haven't even shown up since that night. The third one, however, has given me reason to be hopeful, however. Her name is Sonata Dusk. She's the blue one. Anyway, she seems to be reconsidering her life, and she's showing a… nicer side of herself ever since their plans failed. While it may be too early to say it with certainty, I truly think we can reform her. And, with a little luck, we can help the other two sirens as well.

There has been one thing that has been bothering me as of late, however. As you may have noticed, everyone in this school has a counterpart in Equestria. However, there are a few individuals who I've failed to find matches for yet, however. So far, I've never found any evidence of any other Sunset Shimmer on this side of the mirror. Neither have I found any for the sirens. And then there's you. Up until recently, I thought that there was some sort of magical fluke that prevented you from having a counterpart here. However, a few days ago, I discovered something- or rather, someone- that made me question everything I had assumed about this world. You see, I was-

Sunset's train of thought was interrupted when she heard something. She looked up from her book and saw a figure in a green hoodie standing next to the portal. What caught her attention, however, was the device which the figure was holding, which was letting out some sort of beeping noise.

“Hey!”

The figure lifted its head and noticed her. Panicking, it hid behind the statue. Undeterred, Sunset lay her book on the steps and ran towards the figure.

“What do you think you’re doing with that statue?!”

As she reached the statue, she was slightly surprised when the statue poked it head out from behind the statue. Her surprise only grew as she heard a familiar voice.

“Sunset?”

The red-haired girl’s eyes went wide.

“Dusk Shine?”

The figure took off its hood, revealing the familiar face of her new friend. Well, familiar except for the presence of a pair of glasses. Had he been wearing contacts before?

“Oh! Hey, Sunset!” he said nervously as he tried to hide his device behind his back. “What are you doing here?”

“I go to school here,” said Sunset. “What about you?”

A small drop of sweat formed on Dusk’s forehead.

“Oh! Nothing!” he said quickly. “Just… enjoying the view!”

“Uh huh,” Sunset said skeptically as she raised an eyebrow. “And you just happened to be walking around CHS, and you thought the statue looked nice?”

More sweat formed on Dusk’s brow. Finally he sighed and brought his device out from behind his back.

“Well, let’s just say I was curious about all the weird stuff happening around CHS,” he explained. “And I thought it might help me to get some data on the subject.”

“I… see,” said Sunset. “So, you really think this will help you understand what’s going on at this school?”

“Maybe,” said Dusk. “Still, I’m trying to find some way to understand.”

“Well... I can understand having curiosity about the stuff that happens here,” Sunset said uncertainly. “But you might just be going about this the wrong way.”

“Why?” asked Dusk. “I mean, gathering information is the first part of understanding something, isn’t it?”

Sunset opened her mouth to speak, only to close it. She had realized that, if Dusk was anything like Twilight, he was smart enough to figure out the truth sooner or later. And if he figured it out… what would happen to his relationship with Sonata?

Sunset may not have been an expert on such things, but she could tell that Sonata and Dusk were slowly starting to grow close. And she knew that a secret as big as her sirenhood needed to be revealed before Dusk figured it out himself. But how could she do that?

Suddenly, she had an idea. It was crazy, but it might just work.

“Well, if that’s the case, maybe I could help you?”

Dusk looked at her skeptically.

“Really?” he asked. “I thought you thought all this was going about it-”

“Yeah, forget what I said,” Sunset said quickly. “I just thought of a way we could all figure out about the weirdness that’s happening around this school.”

Dusk raised an eyebrow.

“How?” he asked.

“Oh, I have an idea,” answered Sunset. “Could you maybe come back here after school on Monday?”

Dusk shrugged.

“I guess so. But why not now?”

“It’s just… I have some things to get ready,” Sunset explained.

“Okay,” Dusk said as he began to turn away. “So… you think you can help me with whatever weird phenomena is going on here?”

Sunset smirked. “Oh, I know I can.”

“If you say so,” Dusk said as he walked away. “See you on Monday, I guess.”

“Bye!” Sunset said as she waved at Dusk. He returned the gesture, and the made his way towards the bus stop. Meanwhile, the gears in Sunset’s head were running at full speed.

Okay, if this works out, then after Monday he’ll know everything about me and Sonata. If we do this right, not only will he accept it, but he’ll be able to help Sonata too! And it will also help prevent any awkward conversations in the future!

However, a few other, more problematic thoughts entered her mind at the same time.

Still, there’s a lot that could mess this up. Dusk might not be happy about us pretending to be humans when we’re actually ponies… or worse, sirens. He might really freak out once he figures that particular detail out. And if it causes a rift between Dusk and Sonata, how could anything possibly fix it?

And… what will Sonata think about this whole plan?