• Published 11th Jan 2015
  • 540 Views, 8 Comments

Applejack's Misfortune - SpunkyBrony



When a loved one passes on it is a hard process to accept, how will Applejack handle?

  • ...
1
 8
 540

Anger

Anger:
Applejack woke up this morning in silence and no words to say to Applebloom or Big Macintosh, not with Ponies who give up on family as easily as they did. The floor, previously covered in sharp pieces of white glass, was now being cleaned by Applebloom and Big Mac, Applejack sat at the dining table as she usually does every morning and sat quietly but something was missing this morning.

Applejack took time to realise but was amended quickly when she remembered Granny Smith would serve apple porridge each morning. Applejack could feel tears well up in her eyes and stream to her chin but before they could fall to the floor her grief festered into hatred.
Applejack felt betrayal among her family, felt that the she was alone in this struggle. Applejack uttered only a few words to Applebloom and Big Mac as she felt that was all they deserved, "Ah can't believe ya'll two gave up on Granny."

Applebloom and Big Mac turned to Applejack, both of their eyes were puffed and coloured from the constant crying, "Pardon?"

Applejack couldn't suppress her fury towards Applebloom and Big Mac for any longer and acted in anger, violently standing up and sending the chair soaring into the wall and smashing onto the floor with a loud thud, "Ya'll heard me!" Applejack screamed. "Ah'm doing some bucking!"

Out in the field Applejack knew she was unable to cart apples efficiently as the cart was ripped to splinters in her rush trying to help Granny Smith and that bucking wouldn't do anything for the family but she needed to do something. Something to keep her occupied, distracted. Applejack peered over her orchard but was not filled with any glee or sense of achievement but instead was filled with mournful memories, every inch reminded Applejack of the times she had spent with Granny Smith.

The paddock that had been isolated for cider processing reminded Applejack of the contest between the Flim Flam brothers and how they celebrated their victory, the Sweet Apple Acre's river that supplied their apple trees with water admonished Applejack of when Granny Smith started swimming again. The whole Orchard was filled with cheerful memories now morphed into sorrowful reminders of how much Applejack missed Granny Smith.

Each memory seemed to convey one message, "Why do you not understand?" and soon, almost like a constant nagging Applejack grew furiously mad at each memory, each reminder of what she didn't accept. Applejack reached an apple tree and approached it in her average bucking stance.

Applejack positioned herself carefully and swung her hind legs into the air but before she could connect her hooves to the tree she caught sight of the wooden rocking chair situated in front of the barn where Granny Smith would spend most of time, Applejack as a young filly would sit with Granny Smith eagerly listening to the fantastic stories she would hear about Granny Smiths young life and the early days of Ponyville in the Orchard.

This nostalgic memory nagged endlessly at Applejack and fuelled the maddening fire within her. Finally Applejacks hoof connected with the wood of the tree but instead of apples falling neatly into the buckets, the tree was dented by the enormous strength of Applejacks legs and the mixture of her acrimony, but the frustration wasn't released in one kick.

Applejack smashed her hooves against the tree with great strength over and over again until the wood started to splinter and split as if somepony devastated it with a hatchet, Applejack started to remember old stories Granny Smith had told Applejack about the early days, so she kicked until no apples were cradled in the tree anymore and the wood was an obliterated mess of bark and splinters but it wasn't enough.
Applejack kicked wildly and when she missed the tree she was sprung in the direction the momentum of her legs were sent.

Falling flat faced onto the ground Applejack was still flaming with anger but was left with nothing to release her anger on, there were plenty of trees left to buck but they wouldn't help. Instead Applejack sat herself against the mangled wreckage of the tree. When against the tree Applejack noticed a plump apple that had been ripped from its stem and now found its way besides Applejack. Applejack grabbed the apple out of habit and held it between her hooves, Applejack rotated the apple between her hooves continually, thinking about how easy it would be to crush it, especially with her great strength but she found a bruised mark on the apple.

This single bruised apple reminded her of the grandest moment she had experienced with Granny Smith; the day she was taught to make apple-pie, the single apple reminded her of when she was cutting the apples into wedges while Granny Smith was laying the pastry into the pan and she was taught to leave any bruised apples for the pigs to eat.

This memory was held sacred to Applejack, it brought joy to think of Granny Smith passing down her teachings to Applejack so they could live on and like all the other sweet memories the thought became tarnished and reminded Applejack of Granny Smith. Applejack held the bruised and battered apple close to her chest and circumvented the anger held within her with one scream, the ending scream filled the air of the Orchard but was not heard by any Pony willing to help.