• Published 9th Jan 2015
  • 3,505 Views, 118 Comments

Moonlit Romance - Lux



Can a Guard win the heart of a Princess?

  • ...
16
 118
 3,505

Chapter 7

Chapter 7

The rest of Night Court went by without much fanfare. There were only about thirty or so ponies that sought to speak to Princess Luna but to you it felt like each one took hours for the Princess to help. You almost wished there was action rather than standing and watching. You felt yourself at times getting distracted but quickly snapped out of it lest Luna see you slack off. There were some conversations that were interesting like a dispute between two neighbors. The one neighbor claimed that he planted a row of hedges on his side while the other said that the plants went over his part of the property. Luna questioned why a fence was necessary to see if there was an ongoing dispute between the two, but no the neighbor with the plants just wanted privacy and liked the other neighbor. With feelings mended the two agreed to keep the plants and maintain them equally.

The most heartwarming event of the night came when a filly somehow snuck past the guards and presented herself in front of Luna. The Princess was a little concerned that she seemed to be alone.

“Child, are your parents here?”

“No Princess, but I live only a few blocks away,” the filly said honestly.

“Why are you not getting ready for bed like many fillies and colts your age should be doing?”

“Well, I was ready but I wanted to see you and say hello and to say that you’re really pretty and I want to be just like you! So I sort of snuck out.”

“What’s your name?”

“Um… it’s Moonstone.”

“Well Moonstone, I thank you for your compliments,” Princess Luna said before her voice turned grave, “but please don’t try to be like me. You should go and be your own pony, finding your own way in this world rather than trying to be somepony else, understand?”

The filly nodded as she appeared to be a little disheartened. At least she understood what Luna meant, but there was something else that the Princess meant that you saw on her face and the way she spoke. It was as if to say, “Please especially don’t be me.” You knew why, that often told tale about Luna falling from her position and becoming Nightmare Moon. That was in the past though and no pony you knew of ever looked down upon her now. Was she still reliving that moment over a thousand years ago?

“Guard,” Luna said calmly to you, “Would you escort Moonstone home safely?”

“I will, but are you sure that you will be safe by yourself?”

“Yes, and besides that she doesn’t live far away so you should be back before Night Court ends,” she said to you before turning to the filly, “This is my personal bodyguard. He will make sure you get home safely. Will you show him the way to your house?”

“Oh, yes Princess Luna,” the filly said as you followed her out of the castle and into the streets before asking you, “So you’re Luna’s bodyguard? What does that mean?”

“It means that while the other guards are in the castle to protect all Princesses and the public from harm, I have a special task of protecting the Princess.”

“You’re not her stallionfriend, are you?”

“No,” you said surprised at the comment, “Why do you ask?”

“Don’t you know the way you look at her?”

“Err… no. I mean I do but I’m making sure that she is fine that’s all. A guard has to make sure that whoever they are protecting is fine.”

“Oh I see,” the filly said as she turned a corner, “so what’s it like protecting a Princess like Luna?”

“I don’t really know actually. It’s my first day as her bodyguard. I do that Luna is much alike other ponies than others might think.”

“She seems to me kind of… sad,” Moonstone said thoughtfully.

“Sad how?”

“You’re her guard and you don’t know?” she said giving you a funny look, “Oh right you’re new to protecting her. I don’t know, maybe it’s my imagination but it’s like she’s wearing a mask, like she’s trying to be happy but under that mask there’s a lot more going on. I guess that’s the way that I can describe it. Can you do me a favor sir?”

“Sure,” you said to the filly as you came to a stop at a house, “Can you help the Princess not be sad?”

“I don’t know what I can do honestly but I’ll try.”

“Thank you,” the filly said giving you a hug, “I hate to see ponies upset especially Princess Luna. Oh and please don’t tell my parents I snuck out, ok? They’ll throw a fit.”

“But how will you get in?”

“Duh,” The filly said as she pointed to the tree next to the house with the still open window on the second floor. Before you could say anything, Moonstone shimmied up the tree and giving you a little wave shut her window softly leaving you alone in the street.

“Make Princess Luna happy?” you said as you made your way back, “How can I do that if I don’t know much about Luna? I’m just getting to see the real private version of her. Maybe I’ll do more later on.”

You made your back to the throne room where to your surprise no ponies were in line. Princess Luna sat on her throne, not in the regal pose like she was but sitting sideways with her perfect royal blue toned legs hanging over the arm rest as she lazily kicked them.

“There you are,” she said, “I was wondering if you go lost. I take it Moonstone made it home safely?”

“She did,” you replied, “How long were you waiting for me?”

“Oh, only a few minutes. Those last few ponies in line just had simple questions or requests and after that I ended Night Court. So are you ready to see the next thing I do at night?”

“Sure,” you replied as the Princess swung her legs around and stood up, “but may I ask you something as we go?”

“Certainly,” Princess Luna said, “That is as long as it’s not too personal.”

“Well I know that you have this one side when you are with others like during Night Court, but you have your normal personality when you are with me. So why…”

“Why do I act differently in public? I’m not sure maybe it’s because my sister and I were trained to be regal and dignified in public no matter how we are in private. Don’t you ever do so as a guard?”

“I guess, but I don’t know. Nopony ever called me on it and I never knew.”

“It’s the same thing for me,” Luna said as the two of you left the throne room, “I guess it’s a habit to do so. Why do you think there was some other reason for having another personality in public?”

“No,” you said when your mind truly wanted to say yes, “But I can’t really see anything wrong with your normal side. It’s nice actually.”

“Nice?” Luna said, “How so?”

“Well you are kind and fun and smart and you have that mischievous streak to you.”

“So you like mischievous mares huh?” Luna teased, “I’ll try to remember that. Anyway, on to my next part of the night. Try not to fall asleep while I’m doing this. “

Author's Note:

More on Luna's nightly routine. There will be a few more chapters dedicated to this before going on. I wanted to paint a picture of what Luna does in the night while ponies sleep and maybe throw in a few surprises.