• Published 2nd May 2012
  • 2,663 Views, 69 Comments

Scales the Draconic Oddball - Kowlickkid

  • ...
4
 69
 2,663

Chapter 7: Travelling

Travelling

I woke up to a crackling sound near me. The sun was already up and going on it's route, shedding it's light wherever it went. I turned my head to see that Grizzle had ignited a fire, by some means best known to himself, and was cooking some meat over it. I licked my lips hungrily and detached myself from the tree from which I was hanging, doing a 180° turn before landing squarely on my feet. I yawned and drew my wings in close to my back. Grizzle looked up at me, a smile on his face.

"You smile too much. It's creeping me out. Your teeth are just savage."

His eyes twinkled.

"I can't help it. I smile through thick and thin. I find amusement out of pretty much anything."

I shrugged. "What's cookin'?" My sensitive nose probed the air.

"Deer. Couple o' bucks walked in this mornin'. I thought ya might want some breakfast."

My tongue darted out as I sniffed the odor of meat. Grizzle handed me an entire leg and I seized it, tracing every detail of the succulent flesh as it sizzled and crackled in my hands. 'Dang, I've missed meat more than I thought.' I hungrily took a chomp at it, ripping a chunk out and passing it to my cheeks, where my sharp teeth soon put an end to it. I chomped again, taking a piece of bone as well, which also ground to a fine powder at the mercy of my jaws. I wiped my mouth as I swallowed and prepared to gorge myself again.

"Dang, Scales. Take it easy, there's enough fer both of us."

I merely grinned. "You sure?" I said as I ripped another massive piece off of the leg.

"I was..."

Grizzle, not about to be left without breakfast, seized another leg off the steaming carcass and took a bite. I grinned as he tried to chew the meat, but was left with a mouthful that wouldn't chew down. I took another chunk out of the deer's leg and chewed it with ease. Griz finished his bite and took another, only to strain as he tried to fit the previous bite down his throat. I stopped eating for a few seconds.

"Hey, take it easy. I won't eat all of it. You're gonna strangle yourself if you keep going like that."

Grizzle pounded on his chest, struggling to get it down, before finding relief and sighing as his comestibles found their way to his stomach.

"Maybe yer right. I got caught in the spur of the moment."

I smirked and took another chomp.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


An hour later, Grizzle was sitting down, his arms resting on his full stomach as he burped. I was in the sky, the quantity of food I had ingested not bothering me in the slightest. I raced to and fro across the blue sea of air, intent on increasing my speed in the skies. As I zipped through the air, I tried to perform sudden turns and aerial maneuvers. 'This speed and control would be sooooooo impossible back on Earth.' I sped up and arched my back, looping around the air as I smiled, enjoying my wings. I dived down towards the trees and started trying to maneuver around them. 'Okay, left, up, left, right, sharp right, barrel roll right, ascend, left, up, descend, barrel roll left, TREE!' *BONK!*

"Ow..." I gasped out from the tree I was embedded into.

I heard snickering coming from the general area of our campsite and scowled. I detached myself from the tree and marched over to the log on which Grizzle was sitting. I stared at him for a few seconds before slapping him upside the head. He continued giggling hysterically as I walked away.

"Ya need some trainin'," he remarked.

"I kinda noticed. It might've been the amount of trees that I've been knocking into."

"There ain't no reason to be sore. Ya shoulda seen me during my first flyin' days. Hoo boy, that was a doozy."

"Oh really?"

"Yup. I finally mastered it after a lot o' practice. Just keep tryin', and don't ferget ta practice yer fightin' skills too." I turned this idea over in my mind.

"Hey Grizzle?"

"Yeah?"

"Do ya think you can show me how to fight better?"

Grizzle chuckled at me.

"T'ain't my place ta show ya how ta fight. You're a whole different structure with different abilities that I couldn't ever mimic. Take a look at my arm." He held out his meaty appendage and I observed it. "Now what do you see?"

"I see a hairy, gray-streaked brown thick muscly arm that could punch through a tree if it wanted to. It ends in a large hand specialized in slapping with great force and not handling things easily."

"Precisely, Scales. Now hold out your own arm and describe it, from outward appearance to how it feels when you use it."

"My arm is a long green limb covered in scales of hard proportion, able to fuse together and create a near impenetrable shield. The muscles are long, sinewy and stringy, able to move with astonishing speed but lesser strength. It ends in a hand with precise-moving fingers with moderate claws, useful for picking things up and touching... I get it now. You can't train me because I'm so different. I can do things you can't, and you can do things I can't. My abilities are so far from yours that we can't begin to imagine what life would be in the body of the other's."

Grizzle nodded.

"Yer a lot smarter when ya put yer mind to the task. I can't train ya because of that exact reason."

"Do you know anybody who might be able to?" Grizzle stopped to think.

"Well... As a matter of fact, I might know someone who could train ya."

"Who?"

"His name is Shardisius. He's a pretty old specimen of a Hybridian, but he still had it in him the last time I saw him. He might be able to help with your training, as he's a speedster himself."

"Where can I find him?"

Grizzle shook his head. "I'll warn ya once: he's not the most peaceful soul around. His pet is proof of that. He's also a good fighter. Real good. And to top it all off, he's got a short fuse."

I was adamant. "Where?"

"Do ya have a map?" Without a word, I lifted my back scale and handed him my map. He observed it. "Our current location?" I pointed it out to him easily. He nodded. "It's a pretty long way. To be accurate, on the other side of Equestria, here." I nodded and patted him on the back.

"Thanks Grizzle. I'll be going there soon." He grinned.

"Just be sure to stop by soon."

"And how will you know not to attack me and to show yourself so I can find you?"

"I don't know. Screech or something. Roar in a special way."

I carefully reviewed this idea.

"Worth a shot."

I spread my wings and climbed into the sky, intent on finding a call that I could use. I opened my jaws and tried to vibrate my vocal chords in such a way so as to create a unique sound. What came out sounded like a cat being strangled while horking up a hairball.

"Okaaaaaaaaay, not the best sound."

I tried again, bringing out my signature roar.

"Nah, that's too common for me. I need something that will not be a battle cry. Well, third time's the charm."

I vibrated the chords once more. The sound was of me hacking up an iron sphere, which fell on a tree and bored itself into the wood. I blinked rapidly.

"That happened. I'm just gonna say mineral deposits."

Down on the ground, Grizzle was holding in laughter at the horrible attempts I was making to bring a sound out of my throat. I finally landed in front of him and shrugged.

"I don't know. Maybe I just can't do a unique sound. Hold on a sec..." I darted off into the bushes as I felt the need to commune with nature again. "Dang reserves."

[/hr]

A couple hours later, I made my way back to a disgusted Grizzle.

"Never try to wipe with a pinecone," I said, wincing.

"How long was that?"

I grinned. "Somewhere around two hours. Ya see..."

"I don't wanna know."

I shrugged and turned away. "So anyways, I seem incapable of making a sound that is unique."

Grizzle raised his eyebrow and stomped on my tail. I roared at him.

"OI! That's my tail!"

He shrugged. I grumbled and flew off into the skies. For some reason, it was always a comforting feeling to soar high. I climbed higher and higher till I was above a cloud and gently touched down on it. I spotted another cloud higher up and soared up to land on that one too. This was pure delight. The cloud was cushioned and there was enough cool moisture to calm me down. Lying this way, the forest below me and the skies in front, I couldn't help but feel triumphant for no obvious reason. I felt a growing sense of accomplishment inside of me and let it out. To my surprise, it sounded like a cross between a songbird whistle and an eagle's screech, with the volume of a foghorn. When I landed on the ground, Grizzle was wearing his usual smile.

"Got it." I told him.

"Ya sure did, kid. Ya sure did."

"Hey, how did you know I was younger than you?"

"It's pretty easy ta tell. It's in yer actions and yer lingo."

I shrugged. "Whatever. It doesn't really matter to me. Anyways, I'm going to go. I'll see ya around, Griz."

To my surprise, he took my outstreched hand, pulled me in and gave me a manly hug(emphasis on manly).

"Be careful out there."

I pried him off me.

"You got it." I patted him on his shoulders and checked the map and the compass. "Thanks for all your help, Grizzle."

"Before you go," Grizzle said, "I just want you to know that in my books, you're an honorary Hybridian. I mean, look atcha! You've got more than just dragon blood there." I smiled.

"Truer than you think. And thanks." With that, I set off to the west.
[/hr]

Canterlot Castle

Celestia sighed over her tea. It seemed like everything was fine the other day when the mysterious force was staying put, but now she could tell it was on the move again. Luna shook her head in resignation.

"Sister, you must step out of this attitude that you are in. It will do you no good when the power finally arrives."

"Luna, I cannot help but feel worried for my subjects. Something so unknown is troubling."

Suddenly, the door to the dining room burst open and in walked Prince Blueblood, in all his shining glory. Celestia sighed as the troublemaker sat down in his appointed seat.

"Ugh, such weeds for breakfast again? I so do loathe cabbage in the mornings. Servant, I demand that Chef Gourd Mane makes me something more suited to my noble taste."

A nervous stallion standing next to the royal pain stammered out a hasty 'Very well' and made his way to the kitchen. Celestia spoke up.

"At ease, Vant Jones. The prince would do well to eat his veggies in the morning."

The servant shyly made his way back to the table.

"And Blueblood, you should stop bossing everypony around."

The posh unicorn rolled his eyes and excused himself from the table.

"Oh very well, Aunt Celly. I suppose I shall have to make a meal out of my hidden chocolate cake hoard, which is hidden where you will never find it."

Celestia narrowed her eyes as the prince turned his nose up and marched out of the room, a smug smile on his lips.

"Luna, who raised him?"

The moon princess giggled. "Don't worry about him. I already found his so-called "hidden" stash."

Celestia's smile lit up expectantly. "And?"

Luna giggled again. "Have you ever heard of that one pepper that even dragons find spicy?"

Now Celestia laughed. "Luna, you always did know how to cheer me up."

Screams started to come from the other end of the castle.

[/hr]

I had settled down to a peaceful jog, taking in my surroundings as I trekked through a field. A smile played on my lips as I observed the rabbits playing. 'Great, now I'm a dragon who actually thinks bunnies are cute.' Up ahead of me, a very familiar sight was waiting for me. I cautiously approached the entrance.

"So this is Everfree Forest."

[/hr]

Ponyville Library

Twilight Sparkle was, for once, in bed. Spike took her a sandwich and a glass of orange juice,

"But Spiiiiiiike...", Twilight whined. She was sick with the flu and was feeling pretty miserable. "I need to study."

"No buts, Twilight," said Spike, "You need to stay in bed and get some rest until this disease goes away from you." Twilight sighed in boredom. Spike wasn't letting her up anytime soon. "Now just get some sleep. Too much night-thinking weakened you enough so tha-*BELCH!*"

"SPIKE!" Twilight interpreted this noise as merely another rude thing Spike had done.

"It wasn't my fault Twilight. Princess Celestia sent us a le..."

The door banged open before he could finish.

"GET WELL PARTY!!"

Pinkie-Pie burst open, party cannon ready to blast, with the other four mares behind. Rainbow Dash immediately tried to restrain the party animal.

"Calm... Down... Pinkie..."

"Howdy there, sugarcube. You holdin' up okay?", asked Applejack.

Twilight grunted in frustration.

"I'm being kept away from my books, and you ask me if I'm okay?"

"Well Twilight, I should think that you should be a bit more accepting with your friends who come to visit you when you are sick rather than your books that keep you up all night," expressed Rarity.

Twilight rolled her eyes.

"Um, Twilight?", began Spike, holding up a scroll and waving it.

"Not now, Spike. I'm talking to my friends." She didn't even bother to look at Spike.

"Um, well, Twilight, um, maybe you should listen to Spike for a little bit. I mean, if that's what you want to do," whispered Fluttershy softly.

"Hmm?" Twilight shifted her gaze over to Spike, who had now opened the letter and was ready to read. "Oh, sorry Spike. I didn't know you had a letter," Twilight apologized sheepishly.

"Ahem.

To my faithful student Twilight Sparkle,

I was very upset to hear the news that you were sick. I certainly hope that you get better soon. However, that isn't the only reason I am writing to you. It seems that there is a strange new living power in Equestria now, and I don't know it's intentions, be they good or evil. Please report back to me if you see anything unusual around, but be careful and don't go looking for it. It is most likely very dangerous.

Your mentor,

Princess Celestia.
And that's the end of it." Spike rolled up the letter. "Gee Twilight, what do you think the power is?"

"Well, if even Princess Celestia doesn't know, it must be something like we haven't ever seen before."

"WowTwilightdoyoureallythinkitissomethingnew?!Ishouldthrowapartyforitwhenitcomeslikea"WelcometoEquestria, StrangeNewPower"partyoh-mi-gosh-oh-mi-gosh-oh-mi-gosh mmmmfffmmmfffff!" Pinkie was interrupted by a cyan blue hoof being jammed into her mouth.

"No Pinkie, I don't think this will be the sort of thing you can throw a party for," said Twilight.

"Awwwwwww..."

"Twilight has a point there, darling. You didn't throw Discord a welcome to Equestria party, did you? No, of course you didn't. Now, it would be different if it needed clothes..."

"Rare, ah don't think that this thang will let ya take it's measurements, much less actually wear a sweaty monkey-suit that you made for it," expressed Applejack.

"Are you insinuating that the quality of my clothes is so low that simians would wear them?!?!", yelled Rarity.

"Oh, um, girls? I really don't think that we should, um, you know, fight like this. I mean, after all, if we fought again and the power was a monster, we wouldn't be able to, well, use the Elements of Harmony," reasoned Fluttershy in her usual quiet way.

Twilight face-hoofed.

"Look, let's just get back to our lives, and if anypony sees anything at all, come here and we'll send the princess a letter, okay?"

This earned nods all around. All the other ponies then left the library, leaving Twilight to wallow in self-pity.

[/hr]

My head popped out from a bush, along with the rest of my body.

"That was... unexpected. Now, I think that the exit out of the Everfree is just a few steps... Whoa!"

I stepped out from behind a tree and immediately, I was standing on soft grass which had several flowers on it. I breathed in fresh air and sighed, before I heard a sudden 'Eep!' coming from my left. I looked in that direction and saw a familiar yellow pony with pink hair, looking at me in fright. I raised a claw in greeting. Immediately, Fluttershy took off, leaving a trail of smoke behind her. I was too astonished to do anything.

"Um... hi?"

In the distance, I saw the beginnings of Ponyville. Suddenly, a trail of green smoke lifted into the air and sped towards a castle in the distance.

"Okay, so, that was a letter. For what? I have no idea."

A few minutes later, a troop of 6 ponies was headed towards the cabin. I recognized all of them. 'Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash, Pinkamena Diane Pie, Applejack, Rarity and Fluttershy. Hold up, are those the princesses there?' I strained my eyes, and sure enough, there were the two princesses, Celestia and Luna. 'Well, they noticed me quicker than I had thought they would. Whatever. I'm sure we can get along. Right? Right? Right?' At this point, Celestia noticed me and ran what seemed to be a full scan on me. Then she turned to Luna, who nodded. 'What in tarnation?' I asked myself in confusion.

Suddenly, both Celestia's and Luna's horn lit up, a sphere of energy forming on each, to be shot at an angle and to intersect with each other. The gray resulting orb hung in the air suspended for a moment, charging.

"Dragon, prepare for capture for explaining," Celestia said.

The gray orb shot at me at a great speed. My last concious thoughts: 'Sweet mother of meat, I'm sooooo dead.'



Hey there everybody. Hope I'm doing a good job with this thing. I'm doing the best I can to capture each pony's personality while throwing myself into the mix. I bet you thought Scales would get to Shardisius this episode. I'll tell ya now, I have other plans for him. Also, if you hadn't noticed, I'm not into swearing, so you can be safe knowing that there will be no words that should be offending. Thanks for reading, and keep your stick on the ice.