• Published 31st Dec 2014
  • 751 Views, 13 Comments

You've Been Acting Strange These Last Few Days - sethbramwell



Octavia has a lot to worry about these days when Vinyl begins working with a fellow visiting musician...

  • ...
2
 13
 751

Part 6: Pezzo Takes Action

Part Six: Pezzo Takes Action

“So that’s it.” Octavia finished, bringing the cup of tea to her lips and drinking, savoring the calming effect the herbal tea had after such a stressful day. The busy hours of this particular StableBucks Coffee had passed, and the two friends had a quiet opportunity to talk at last. Pezzo had listened attentively, her surprise and concern growing as she heard the story.

“So Vinyl’s gone for days on end, comes home, yells at you and passes out? Octi, are you sure she didn’t just hit the bars? You know what a party mare she can be…”

Octavia looked down at the steaming cup, vaguely seeing her sad expression reflected in the brownish liquid. “I’ve seen Vinyl after she… celebrates.” She stated somberly before looking up to Pezzo’s worried expression. “This was different. It was… raw, savage, caustic. It was- it was as if she was someone else completely. And then this morning- with being late and all and finding that bag in with her things… I just don’t know, Pezzo. I’m scared.”

Pezzo tried to remain calm for Octi’s sake. She had known for some time that Octi loved Vinyl so much more deeply than a common friend, even if the stubborn, prideful musician refused to acknowledge it and consistently insisted that they were only friends at best, annoying housemates of convenience at worst. “Do you even know what those tablets are? I mean, maybe it’s nothing, just something for a headache or something…”

“I have no idea.” Octavia replied, her eyes once again on the steaming tea. “Frankly… I’m afraid to find out.”

Pezzo looked to the table, grimaced, and finished the last gulp of her latte. With a deep breath, she rose from her seat and scooped up the cello case from the floor. “Come on.” She said simply as Octavia looked up at her.

“Where?”

“Somewhere where we can get you an answer.” Pezzo said determinedly as she strode to the door, praying that Octavia would follow her and not simply remain seated. Don’t look back, she’ll come…

Octavia looked after her friend, utterly overwhelmed and absolutely unwilling to be left alone at this moment and followed Pezzo out the door. The sun was just starting to set in the sky, and the pale pink seemed to match Pezzo’s coat as she trotted ahead of Octavia just slowly enough for her friend to catch up. “Pezzo, talk to me. Where are we going?”

Pezzo just looked ahead with a knowing grin. “To see a friend. Smartest pony I know. If anyone can tell you what those are…”

“Pezzo…”

“…it’s her.” Pezzo finished, unabated.

Octavia stopped short in her tracks. “Pezzo, I don’t even know if I want to know!” she cried out. Pezzo merely trotted ahead with a quiet snicker.

“Well, don’t come if you don’t want to… but you might want to look at your cello case!” She called back.

Octavia tilted her head with confusion. Look at my cello case? She thought as she set the case on the ground and saw the small gold lettering: P. Pizzicato. Her mouth fell open as she broke into an angry gallop after Pezzo. “You stole my cello?! That’s really low, Pezzo!” she shouted out furiously.

Pezzo just giggled and ran faster. “It’s not low, Octi. It’s strategy!”

Octavia groaned and galloped after her friend. Admittedly, the running did help her somewhat; feeling her heart pumping faster and her adrenalin flowing was helping to stave off at least some of her worry. But what was coming next, she wondered, and where were they even going?

It wasn’t long before Pezzo turned down a road leading to the center of Ponyville and trotted up to a large familiar tree, catching her breath as she waited for Octavia to catch up. The grey mare finally made it, breathing far heavier than Pezzo was. “You really need to stay in better shape, Octi.” The pink mare teased.

“Very… funny….” Octavia replied between breaths. Would this day never end? First she had overslept, then there had been the discovery of the tablets, being towed around at lightning speeds by an insane Pegasus, berated by Ponyakov, possibly losing her first chair position, and now this. Her breath finally back, Octavia looked up and recognized where they were. She had been here on occasion before to look into different classical pieces and find sheet music, and the unicorn inside had always known where the needed information was, as if she were intimately familiar with every inch of the place. “Golden Oaks Library?” she asked with confusion.

“You bet. Come on.” Pezzo simply replied as she knocked on the door. After a moment, the door opened and a small, sleepy eyed dragon peered out. “Hi, Spike.”

Spike looked up to the pink pony and smiled. “Oh, hey, Pezzo. Sorry, but we’re closed for the night-“

Pezzo leaned down and interrupted the little creature as Octavia looked on. “Sorry, Spike. I know it’s past closing, but I’ve got an emergency. I really need Twilight’s help.”

Spike looked behind him to the staircase uncertainly. “Well… Twilight’s a little busy…”

Pezzo gave the dragon her sweetest smile. “Please? Promise I’ll make it up to you in a few days.”

Spike looked to her skeptically. “How?”

“How does a bucket full of gems sound?” Pezzo grinned.

Spike’s eyes went wide. “Reds and Greens?” he asked as his mouth watered.

“Anything you want.”

Spike threw the door opened wide with a bow and a flourish. “Right this way, ladies, please watch your step on the stairs!”

“Works every time,” Pezzo whispered to Octavia as they climbed the staircase.

Comfortable on her bed, Twilight’s horn glowed as she closed her eyes and levitated the quill to the floating parchment before her. Dear Princess Celestia, Today I learned about the value of-

Spike suddenly rounded the top of the stairs and burst in. “Twilight! Visitors!”

Twilight opened her eyes to see the parchment now read Dear Princess Celestia, Today I learned about the value of Twilight visitors- The purple unicorn took on an annoyed look as she magically crumpled the parchment and shot it to a trash can. “Spike! Now I have to start over!” she huffed with annoyance before looking to the ponies before her. “Oh, hello, Pezzo. I was just writing my daily letter to the Princess…” Twilight cocked her head, bewildered. “Er- wasn’t the front door locked?”

Spike nervously chuckled and stepped back to the door. “Well, better get started… putting those… y’know… books… away…” The purple dragon retreated downstairs to finish his chores as Pezzo spoke.

“Spike did us a favor-“

Twilight’s expression changed to a bemused look. “You bribed him, didn’t you?” she asked flatly.

“You know me well.” Pezzo replied. “Listen, we’re sorry to bother you after closing, but we really need your help…” Pezzo motioned to Octavia, who hadn’t said a word as the strange scene had unfolded. “This is-“

“Octavia Melody.” Twilight finished with a smile. “About three weeks ago, I think, you borrowed the sheet music for the Trio Sonatas for 2 Flutes and Cello by Carl Friedrich Apple, right?”

Octavia stepped forward, amazed by the unicorn’s memory. “Ah- yes, that’s correct.”

“The first chair cellist for the Equestrian Orchestra.” Twilight continued as Pezzo shifted uncomfortably and Octavia tried to not show how the words stung. “Pezzo talks about you all the time. I hope the cello pieces you borrowed are working out well.”

“Uh- Yes- yes, they are, thank you. I wonder if-“

Twilight suddenly interrupted, a thought popping into her head. “Oh! You’re playing in the command performance coming up in a few days, aren’t you? Princess Luna sent me an invitation. It should be an amazing concert-“

Pezzo suddenly jumped in. “Twilight, we hate to take up your time… could we just get some help?”

Twilight looked to the floor, embarrassed. “Oh, right. Sorry, I’m just really looking forward to it. So, what do you need?” Pezzo set Octavia’s cello case on the bed and opened it to produce the baggie with the tablets. Twilight looked at them with concern. “What are those?” she asked, her tone shifting from friendly excitement to curious worry.

“That’s what we were hoping you could help us find out. You do have books here with information about medicines and pills and such, right?” Pezzo asked.

“Well… sure…” Twilight began uncertainly. “But where-“

Octavia suddenly reached a decision. “Please.” She interjected as she stepped forward. “I- I really need to know what these are. It’s- well, it’s very important.”

Twilight looked from the grey musician to the pink one. “May I?” she asked as her horn glowed with magic. The baggie floated from Pezzo’s hoof to close by Twilight’s face as she studied the tablets through the clear bag. “Hmm…” A fresh piece of parchment appeared floating next to Twilight’s head as a glowing quill scribbled down what she was noting about the tablets. “Blue and orange color, Markings NRP 104-70…”

“Does that help?” Octavia asked as the unicorn jumped from her bed, the baggie and parchment levitating behind her as she made her way down the stairs to the library proper, where she settled the baggie and the parchment on a table before trotting to a far bookshelf. Octavia and Pezzo followed her with their cello cases in tow, placed them by the door, and went to stand by the table as the purple unicorn traipsed around the library, occasionally using her magic to remove a book, flip through it, mutter, and place it back on the shelf before repeating the process anew with another book. Octavia turned to her friend. “Are you sure about this?”

“Trust me, she knows what she’s-“

Twilight let out an annoyed groan. “Spike! The mineral books go over in the 600’s! Sheesh… ” She continued to trot from shelf to shelf as the purple dragon scurried over to fix the misfiling.

“Uhh- well, she still knows what she’s doing.” Pezzo insisted.

“Aha! That’s the one!” Twilight cried triumphantly as she paced back to the table, a thick hardbound book following her. It fell to the table with a thud, and Twilight began skimming through its pages for the information.

Octavia stepped forward as the pages magically turned under Twilight’s scrutinizing eyes. “What book is that?” She asked curiously.

Without looking up, Twilight replied, “PDR. Ponysicians Desk Reference. It has information about just about any medicines you would want to know- There.” The unicorn placed a hoof on a specific page that had a photograph of a tablet that looked identical to the ones in the baggie. “Now to check the markings…” The parchment flew over to Twilight as she re-read her notes and compared it to the book. “Yep, we have a match.”

Pezzo and Octavia each looked over a shoulder to the open book. “So what is it?” Octavia asked, her eyes scanning the text.

“Twilight placed her hoof on the chemical name, breaking it down in her mind before reading it aloud. “Lisdexamfetamine.”

“Lis-a-dex-a-what now?” Pezzo asked.

“Lisdexamfetamine, 70 milligram dose.” Twilight replied, reading on.

“Well, what is this lis-a-dex… what is it used for?” Octavia asked with worry.

Twilight skimmed over the information. “Seems it’s given to hyperactive ponies to regulate their bodies. It’s a stimulant…”

“But what would it do to a normal pony?” Octavia interrupted anxiously.

Twilight read on from the book. “It’d give them a lot of extra energy and alertness… make them less tired, but it’s not harmless. It says the side effects can include headaches, nervousness, dizziness, trouble sleeping, irritability, restlessness…”

“Oh, Celestia…” Octavia whispered as she turned away.

Pezzo followed after her “Octi… does that sound like-“

Octavia nodded sadly. “Just like it.”

Twilight looked after the pair, confused. “Where ever those came from, it’d be a good idea to just get rid of them… If you want to leave them here I’ll destroy them for you, it wouldn’t be hard with the right spell.”

Octavia looked up to the purple unicorn hesitantly. She didn’t want to ask the question that was burning in her mind, but she had to know. “What… What is the worst that can happen with too much of it?”

Twilight read on in the book, her expression growing grimmer as she went. “It says overdoses can cause hallucinations, rapid breathing, fatigue, depression, convulsions, coma, even…” her voice trailed off.

Pezzo looked up. “Even what, Twilight?”

Twilight looked up with worried eyes. Her next word came in a soft whisper, as if merely saying it was a terrible omen. “… death.”

Octavia’s mouth fell open. “No…”

Twilight closed the book and stepped to Octavia with a serious expression. “Do you know somepony who’s taking those?” Octavia couldn’t bring her self to answer verbally, but nodded with worry. Twilight looked to Pezzo, who placed a hoof around her friend. “If you do… If you can… You need to get them to stop. Get them away from them. Do whatever you have to do.” The purple unicorn spoke softly, but with grave seriousness in her voice.

Octavia looked up to the two ponies before her. Both held worried expressions. Fighting back a tear, Octavia took a deep breath and closed her eyes. Her next words came a steely determination. “Don’t you worry. I will. I have to.”

Twilight looked to her. “If I can help-“

Octavia shook her head. “No, no thank you. I- I have to do this myself. Please excuse me, I must get home.”

Twilight struggled to find the words to say. “Oh… of course… Er, I’m- I’m still looking forward to the concert…”

Octavia walked to the door, absentmindedly grabbing her cello case from the floor. “As am I. Thank you, Miss Sparkle.” The door opened and Octavia stepped into the night, heading down the path.

Pezzo looked from the open door to Twilight. “Thanks, Twi. I better go catch up with her.”

“No problem, Pezzo.” Twilight said kindly. “Will she be all right?”

Pezzo retrieved her own case and trotted out the door. “I hope so…”she said as she departed.

Spike walked back to Twilight. “OK, the mineral ones are moved- Hey, are you OK?”

Twilight looked after Pezzo’s form as it faded into the night and the door closed with the magical aura of her power. “Yes, Spike… I just hope they are.” Without saying more, Twilight walked to the stairs to resume her letter to the Princess, though with perhaps a new topic in mind…

Pezzo caught up with Octavia at last. Her friend’s sad expression had changed to one of angry determination. “Octi, where are you going?”

“Home. I think I know where this started, and I will end it.” Ocatvia’s voice was as determined as her expression, more so than Pezzo had ever heard from her before.

“I’ll go with you. Maybe I-“

Octavia stopped and looked to her friend. “No, Pezzo. Go home, get some rest. Remember to practice tomorrow, you don’t need Ponyakov on your case too.”

“Octi, I don’t think you should be alone-“

The grey mare looked to Pezzo with grateful eyes. “This is between me and Vinyl, Pezzo. Thank you for helping me get to this point, but I have to take this step on my own. I’ll call you tomorrow.” With that, she turned and walked on in the direction of their home as Pezzo watched her go.

“Be strong, Octi.” Pezzo whispered as she hesitated for a moment before walking in the opposite direction toward her own home.

Octavia approached the house and found it dark. She opened the door and set her cello case down beside it before turning on the front room light and walking to the kitchen, where she found the jug of cider Vinyl had left out hours before… next to an open amber vial of white pills. Her eyes opened wide. More? She thought, horrified at first and then furious. Her resolve strengthened all the more in that moment. She marched to Vinyl’s room and threw the door open to find it unoccupied, much as she had suspected it was. She looked to the wall where Vinyl’s bulletin board hung, with several clippings about her pinned up alongside scraps of paper with various phone numbers. Finally she found the one she was looking for, and entered it into her phone. The phone rang for a moment before a sleepy voiced pony answered. “Uhh… Hello?”

“Neon, It’s Octavia. Is Vinyl there?” She asked.

Neon sat up tiredly in bed. Was Vinyl still there? How long had he been asleep? “Uh, hang on, Octavia. I’ll check…” Octavia’s response was lost as Neon set the phone down, yawned, and shuffled to the door. He opened the door and found Duke sitting at his computer with headphones on, but saw no sign of Vinyl. Duke looked up and paused the track he was working on.

“Sup, Neon?”

“Hey, is Vinyl still here?”

Duke shook his head. “Nah, Deej left about 5 minutes ago. I think she’ll be back tomorrow. Didn’t stick around long tonight.” With that, he single-mindedly pressed the space bar and the track resumed in his headphones as Neon closed the door again and walked back to his bed. “No, she just left, Octavia. Did you try her phone?”

Octavia ignored the question. “Neon, can you please meet me tomorrow morning? I need to talk to you.”

Neon scratched his head. “Tomorrow morning?” He yawned. “Why, what’s going on?”

“Please, Neon. It’s very important.”

Neon sighed tiredly. “Oh, all right. When and where?”

“StableBucks on Mareswell. 9:00?”

“You got it. See you then.” Neon disconnected the call and fell back on his pillow, eager to get back to sleep.

On her end, Octavia turned off her phone and walked to her own room, setting it on the nightstand. It wasn’t very long before she heard the front door open…