• Published 31st Dec 2014
  • 751 Views, 13 Comments

You've Been Acting Strange These Last Few Days - sethbramwell



Octavia has a lot to worry about these days when Vinyl begins working with a fellow visiting musician...

  • ...
2
 13
 751

Part 13: Command Performance for One

Part Thirteen: Command Performance For One

The morning light shone through Octavia’s window, the rays tracing steadily across the floor until they settled upon the sleeping form of Vinyl Scratch. The light fought its way through her closed eyelids, forcing the mare to consciousness. She sat up, slowly realizing where she was and what hazy memories she could recall from the night before. She remembered getting the deck mat, heading home, and waking up on the couch… How had she gotten inside? More so, how had she gotten to this bed- Of course, Tavi had helped her, had even laid down with her- Tavi. She wasn’t in the bed. Had that all just been a wishful dream? Her eyes scanned the room and settled on the corner beside the record player, where Octavia sat slumped against the wall. Vinyl was surprised to find her studio headphones resting on her friend’s head and a notebook on her lap. She was still dressed in the elegant gown from the night before, and her mouth hung open in a way that would have alarmed Vinyl if not for the quiet snoring.

The unicorn crept from the bed to her sleeping friend, curiously eyeing the notebook but not comprehending the musical notation in the least. For all of her Celestia-given musical talent, Vinyl could not read or write sheet music to save her life. It was a gift she had always silently envied when she saw Octavia doing it with ease. Gently, she reached a hoof to Tavi’s shoulder, and barely touched it before the grey mare’s head shot up, knocking the headphones to the notebook in her lap. “Ahh!” she yelped in surprise, looking to Vinyl’s concerned face before slamming the notebook closed. “Did- did you look at it?” she asked almost frantically.

Vinyl cocked her head at her friend, confused. “Tavi, I wouldn’t know what any of it meant anyway. You know I can’t read music…” she paused for a moment as a dull throb pulsed in the side of her head again. “Are you all right?”

Octavia looked to the closed notebook as she traced her hoof over the cover. This had to be perfect. “Yes… I’m sorry, Vinyl. It’s just- just something personal I’ve been working on.”

Vinyl smiled. She could understand that feeling very well, even if it felt like it had been forever since she had been mixing music despite it only being a few days’ time. “No worries, Tavi. Listen, uh, about last night…” she began, rubbing the back of her head through her messy mane. The cellist looked up to her expectantly. Vinyl searched for the words to say, but all that would come was a quiet “Thank you.”

“It’s my pleasure, Vinyl.” Octavia replied with a smile. “How are you feeling?”

“My head’s still kinda throbbing and my stomach feels like an empty pit. I’m gonna go grab some breakfast from the kitchen… How about you?”

Again, Octavia’s eyes settled on her notebook. “I need to finish something.” Her hoof pointed to the headphones. “Do you mind if I keep using these? I’m sorry I failed to ask last night-“

Vinyl interrupted her. “Don’t worry about it. Go ahead.” She turned to leave as Octavia rose to look at the disc on the stopped record player. The cellist suddenly felt the hug from behind as her friend wrapped her forelegs around her, smiling as she said softly, “I mean it. Thank you.”

Octavia’s face flushed as she felt her stomach jump. “You’re very welcome.” She replied softly as she felt the DJ release her and turn to walk to the kitchen.

“Ugh, has the sun always been this bright? I really miss my shades…” she moaned as she walked to the kitchen. The comment was lost to Octavia’s ears as the track began once more and she settled to the corner, surprised by how far she had gotten in her transcription the night before, almost as if she had been working in her sleep. She followed the music, reaching where she had left off in her transcription. Her eyes closed as her mind processed the music in her ears, the musical notation seeming to appear before her closed eyes, her hoof writing the notes on the printed staves and struggling to keep up. The process would be repeated several times over the next half hour.

Vinyl swallowed the last of the cider in her glass with a deep drink and rose to place her glass and bowl in the sink. The oats had been good enough, even if she could barely remember the last time she had had a breakfast that was not simply a hair of the dog. She had just begun rinsing out the bowl when she heard the sound of a throat clearing behind her. She turned to find Octavia standing upright before her, her dress smoothed out as best she could after sleeping in it all night. “Miss Scratch, would you please join me in the living room?” She request came in a refined, dignified tone that Vinyl recognized as the one Tavi adopted before performances. The wording surprised her, however. Miss Scratch?

“I- uh, sure- sure, Tavi…”

Octavia gave a small nod, her eyes closed. She turned and stepped wordlessly to the living room. Vinyl followed her, confused and more than a little alarmed. What was going on? She stepped in the living room to find Tavi standing behind a music stand, her notebook resting upon it and her cello at the ready. “Please be seated, Miss Scratch. This is a performance for you.”

Vinyl was too stunned to really say anything, despite her inward mild dismay at the assumption that she was about to be subjected to classical music. She silently took her place on the couch, facing Octavia.

Octavia took a deep breath as she always did before performing. Despite not being used to introducing herself, the words came easily. “Good morning. I sincerely hope you enjoy this performance. Please excuse any errors, as time for rehearsal has been short.” Without another word, her bow was positioned on the strings, and the music began. The cellist’s eyes darted across her notes as her hooves worked the instrument on autopilot, her years of experience serving her well.

It took a minute, but Vinyl’s eyes suddenly opened wide and her mouth fell open. “Killer Kolt Blaine… The Pony Who Comes for Us All!” she whispered, astounded to hear the classic blues track this way. The DJ was instantly on the edge of her seat as she listened carefully. It was a track she knew so well, the one she had gushed about to Tavi when she had given her the album. She had never expected this, however. When the final sustained chord abruptly ended, Octavia closed her eyes and spoke again.

The Pony Who Comes for Us All, as transcribed and interpreted by Octavia Melody. I hope you have enjoyed the performance.” The refined voice was finally dropped as she slipped out of performance mode. She looked hopefully to Vinyl.

Vinyl broke into a huge smile, clapping her hooves together enthusiastically. “Tavi, that was flocking amazing! How did you even-“ her words were cut off as a knock sounded at the door. Octavia turned to hide her blush as she opened the door to find Pezzo standing there. The pink earth pony eyed Octavia up and down, noting her elegant dress and the cello still in hoof.

“The Command Performance was last night, you know.” She smiled as she stepped inside, nodding to Vinyl. “Hey, Vinyl.”

Octavia gingerly leaned her cello against the wall before turning to her friend. “Well, how did everything-“

Pezzo placed a hoof on her friend’s shoulder. “Everything was fine, Octi. The Princess loved it.” Pezzo snickered as she continued, “and I swear you missed a great moment when Celestia nodded off.”

Octavia nodded somberly as she looked to the floor. “I’m glad. I know the orchestra will be in good hooves with its new first chair cellist.” The second sentence was said in a quiet, resigned tone. Pezzo could not explain before Vinyl was up from the couch.

“WHAT? You gave up the orchestra for my stupid flank last night???”

Pezzo looked to the DJ. “Vinyl-“

“No!” Vinyl shouted. Her headache was throbbing with more intensity, but she didn’t care a bit. “This ain’t cool. That orchestra means everything to Tavi! We gotta talk to Luna, Celestia, whoever we gotta talk to-“

“Vinyl, calm down.” Octavia spoke softly, but firmly. “It was my choice, and I’m glad I made it. “

“But- but, Tavi-“ Vinyl began, tears forming in the corners of her eyes.

“Your position is secure, if anypony will listen to me.” Pezzo stated calmly, leaning on the wall beside Octavia’s cello.

Octavia and Vinyl both turned their heads to look to her, their mouths agape. “Pezzo, how is that even possible? Ponyakov-“ Octavia began.

“The esteemed Dmitry Ponyakov was quite annoyed with you last night,” Pezzo began. “And yes, he had a hissy fit. And yes, he was very ready to ensure you never performed professionally again. And yes, despite all that your position is still intact.”

“How?” Vinyl sked before Octavia could find the words.

Pezzo merely smiled and looked to her friend’s cello, her hoof idly plucking at the strings and producing resonating bass notes as she spoke, “Oh… I guess you could say I appealed to his knowledge of some nice bebop.”

Octavia looked to her with confusion. “What does that mean?”

Pezzo chuckled, that knowing chuckle that indicated she knew something she wouldn’t say. Octavia knew that sound all too well. There would be no further explanation, no matter how much she chose to pester her. “Whatever you did, Pezzo… Thank you.”

Pezzo stood from where she was leaning on the wall with a smile. “No charge… for you.” She turned to Vinyl, pointing a hoof to the DJ. “You, on the other hoof, owe this pony something very special. She’s been stressing about you, make it right, little miss.” With those words, she paused as she cocked her head. “Say, where are your sunglasses-“

“Don’t ask.” Vinyl cut her off. “And don’t worry. I will.”

“Fair enough.” Pezzo stated, appeased. “I will be checking up, though. See you around, Octi.” The second chair cellist happily turned to the door, and exited without further comment.

“What did she do?” Vinyl asked the still-stunned Octavia.

“I have no idea,” The grey cellist replied, looking to the closed door. “I wonder if I even want to know.” Vinyl’s words shook her from her trance.

“Play it again?”

Octavia looked to her with mild surprise. “You- you want to hear it again? I didn’t butcher it?”

Vinyl merely pressed the cello in her hooves, still unable to use her magic but eager to hear the piece again. “I admit, it was a surprise, but please? Again?”

Octavia smiled as she readied herself once more and Vinyl plopped on the couch, an idea taking root in her mind…

Author's Note:

Thanks for bearing with me during a difficult time, everypony. Part 14 should be the conclusion. I hope you all are enjoying the story!