• Published 29th Dec 2014
  • 1,857 Views, 29 Comments

It Would Work on Me - sghsthsthjstjsthjs



Realizing that her love life was a horrible disaster, Rarity thinks that she is maybe looking for love in the wrong place. Rarity finds that one of her friends has certain qualities she finds desirable and that she may have romantic feelings for her.

  • ...
12
 29
 1,857

Of course! Rainbow Loves Romantic things!

Setting off for Twilight's castle, Rarity enjoyed the scenery of the early-ish morning; ponies were about completing errands or enjoying a nice break from whatever work that they had. It was a nice, sunny day in Ponyville and Rarity noticed some key things: although it was scheduled to be a sunny, cloudless day, there were, in fact, still many clouds in the sky. This showed that Rainbow Dash had still not awoken for the day (or, at least, awoken until her midday nap). The sun was still in the east; making it roughly 9 am.

Ok, that still leaves me about 2 hours until I need to meet up with Fluttershy at the spa; that should be ample time to visit Twilight and ask her about this Rainbow Dash business. Then that just leaves Pinkie Pie after the spa, since she will likely know something about what Rainbow would like. And... maybe I will ask Applejack; I can't tell her directly why I need to know, but, well... I'll figure something out.

Arriving at Twilight's, Rarity knocked on the crystal doors and yelled to Twilight; the sound reverberating across the castle. “Twilight!!! It's Rarity, I need to talk to you!”

Soon after, Twilight opened the door to greet her friend. “Hey, Rarity; it's nice to see you. What brings you here?”

“Well... I feel the need to ask somepony for some advice on a certain subject; do you have some time to talk?”

Smiling, Twilight replied, “Sure, Rarity; there's not much going on right now. Would you like some tea?”

“That would be lovely.”





“So, what kind of advice do you need? I'm sure there something I can do to help; and even if there's not, we can look in my new library! You've seen my new library, right? This castle is so big, so I just sorta merged a couple rooms together and bam! Library! Right now it only makes up about twenty percent of the castle; I wanted to make it bigger, but Celestia said I probably shouldn't... in any case, I still might if I run out of room for books.”

Letting Twilight lead her to the kitchen, Rarity listened to her ramble about various things; she thought about just telling her about her feelings for Rainbow Dash just to get her to stop, but thought it better to just wait until everypony was nice and comfy with their tea.

At last, reaching the kitchen, Twilight instantly brought some water to boil and made tea for the two of them.

“So, Rarity, whats on your mind? I'm always happy to help.”

“Well, Twilight; the advice I am here to ask you for is a little bit private...”

Twilight nodded her head seriously, “OK, what's it about.”

“It is of a... romantic nature. I need advice on how I can make somepony interested in me.”

Twilight stared at her, confused. “Romantic nature? Rarity, why are you asking me about this? I'm sure you know more about this than me, how could I possibly help you?”

Rarity inhaled slowly, before saying, “Well, you see... I, well... I am not sure how to get this pony's attention because I have never been interested in a pony like her before.”

“Oh... oh. I see... well I would say that I don't see any reason why it should be any different from getting a stallion to notice you.”

“Yes, I suppose that's true; however, I've been around her quite a lot and she doesn't seem to have shown an interest... I suppose I'm planning on making a move on her, you see. In the past, stallions have always made a move on me, so I suppose I'm just not sure how to do it.”

Twilight, intent on helping her friend, listened to Rarity... intently, before replying, “OK, I think I can help; you've seemed to be the expert on things like this in the past, why not just think of what you would've liked done for you and do that for this mare you're interested in?”

Rarity's eyes lit up; of course! That's what she would do! She knew everything about romance, there was no way a mare would be able to resist; she would just have to use her knowledge and experience on Rainbow Dash and there was no way she could say no.

“Twilight! Of course! I don't know how I didn't think of that, but it's perfect. If there is anything you need, I am in your debt”

“Don't worry about it, I was just trying to help... by the way, though; mind telling me who the lucky mare that you're after is?”

Rarity arched an eyebrow at Twilight, “Why sure, I'm sorry, I thought I did already. It's Rai-”

Just then the kitchen door slammed open, revealing a very distressed dragon.

“I swear, I don't know how she puts up with that rabbit; every time that I even glanced away for a...” seeing who it was who was visiting, his mood quickly changed. “Rarity, hey! What brings you around here?”

Twilight just rolled her eyes and greeted him, “So I take it watching Fluttershy's animals while she was out doing errands went well.”

“Ugh, it would've... that is, if Angel wasn't so... evil.” Spike replied, slipping back into his initial mood a little bit. “Soooo, whatcha both talkin about?”

Twilight and Rarity gave each other worried glances. “Spike, darling, it is sort of... a private matter.”

“Yeah, Spike; just mushy gossip, you wouldn't like it.”

Spike gave the two unicorns a suspicious look. “Oh, ok; well I'll be in my room if you two need anything.”

As Spike walked away, Rarity gave Twilight a worried look. “Hmm, I never considered Spike in all of this; I mean, I know he knows I've dated other ponies in the past, but we haven't all been together along with any of my coltfriends.” Twilight nodded her head; she know Spike might be sad for some time, but he was a baby dragon, after all, and for him to actually be with Rarity was unrealistic. “Not to mention what will happen with his and Rainbow's relationship if she agrees to go out with me... I mean, we'll all be toge-” After processing what Rarity had just said, the table in front of both mares became covered in the tea that was previously in Twilight's mouth.

Recovering from a coughing fit Twilight looked back at Rarity (who was mortified that the tea almost got on her coat, tea stains would be a nightmare to get out). “Rainbow?! As in Rainbow Dash?”

Surprised by this interruption, Rarity nodded, “Why yes, who else would I-”

“Rainbow Dash. As in, Rainbow 'I like to destroy barns by running my face into them' Dash? You're going to try to... woo her by doing something ridiculously romantic?”

“Well, yes; that's the plan... you know, what we just discussed. And... did she really destroy a barn with her face? Her face can take that much punishment? Oh my...” Rarity's eyes became unfocused as she had a quick daydream, causing her face to begin to blush.

“Rarity, Rainbow Dash is into action and danger; I highly doubt she would appreciate any romantic gestures you might come up with, it's just not what she likes. Really, you should... Rarity, are you listening at all?” Looking at Rarity, Twilight noticed a vacant stare present on her face.

“Rarity? Rarity!” Twilight waved her hoof in front of Rarity's face, bringing her back to reality. “What were you just thinking about?” Twilight asked, causing the white unicorn's blush to deepen.

“Errr... the weather?”

Sighing, Twilight facehoofed. “Let me guess, you didn't even hear a word I just said, did you?”

“Well, I mean... no, I suppose not. Well, it was nice talking to you and thanks for the advice; but I've got to go or I might be late for my spa date with Fluttershy. Oh, and can you Pinkie Promise you won't say anything about this to anypony?”

Still facehoofing, Twilight Pinkie Promised not to tell anypony.

“Cross my heart and hope to fly; stick a cupcake in my eye...”

“Thank you, darling. Ta~ta!”

“Yeah... anytime, Rarity...”

And with that, Rarity left for the spa.





Alright, well; I would say that my visit to Twilight went well. I've got a good basis for my plan, now I just need to build it up... So, I wonder what kind of flowers Rainbow likes... Or maybe what kind of wine, perhaps. Of course, I guess wine would probably be best for the actual date, rather than now; if I gave her wine now, she'd probably think that I think she's an alcoholic or something... whatever; maybe I can write her a love song! Oh my, that would just be so great; I remember somepony doing that for me once, it was just so, so romantic... Anyways, I'm sure Fluttershy will have some good advice, she's known Rainbow for longer than any of us.

Arriving at the spa, Rarity immediately spotted Fluttershy sitting in the lobby.

“Fluttershy, dear, I always love these spa dates we have; we just have so much to talk about.”

Startled for a moment, Fluttershy quickly recognized Rarity's voice. “Oh, um, hey Rarity; I love them too. It's always nice to catch up with you.”

“Actually darling, it's not just that. You see, I need some... information about one of our friends. Lets get to our appointment first, though.”

Rarity walked up to the counter. “Hello, Aloe; Fluttershy and I are here for our appointment.”

Aloe's sister, Lotus, appeared from behind the door to the side of the front desk. “Ahh yes. Rarity, Fluttershy; this way.”

Knowing that Lotus and Aloe make it a point to not gossip about things that their clients say, Rarity felt comfortable talking to Fluttershy about Rainbow Dash around them.

“So, Fluttershy, I actually wanted to ask you some things about Rainbow Dash.”

“Oh... she didn't, um, prank you again did she? Cause I know you might not like that, but she doesn't mean any...”

“Oh, don't worry Fluttershy, I'm not mad at her or anything; quite the opposite, I would say.”

Arriving at the massaging table, Fluttershy replied with a relieved look on her face. “Oh, ok then; what did you want to ask about?”

Climbing onto the massage table, Rarity decided that she would like to ask her questions before telling Fluttershy about her now semi-secret crush on Rainbow. “Oh, you know... like, when you were in flight school, did she ever date anypony?”

The masseuses started massaging Fluttershy's and Rarity's backs, eliciting a short eep from Fluttershy (she was startled). “W... well, not that I really remember... why did you want to know that?”

“I'll... tell you later, darling.”

After furrowing her brow in disappointment and thought, Rarity remembered her next question: “What is Rainbow's favorite kind of flower?”

The question caused Fluttershy to look at her like she was crazy. “You... you want to know what kind of flowers Rainbow likes?

“Yep.”

“Rainbow Dash.”

“Ya-huh.”

“I... don't think she likes flowers...”

The answer confused Rarity, causing her to open and close her mouth in shock as if attempting to reply.

“Fluttershy, dear, you're not making any sense; how can somepony just... not like flowers? Especially somepony with such style; that just cannot be so.”

“But... it's true, I've never see her show interest in any flowers before.”

“Darling, that just can't be true... I wonder if Applejack would know...”

“Why would Appl-”

“No matter, I can just ask her later! I would also like to know what kind of wine Rainbow likes; she seems like she'd like red wine, but I can't be too sure. Also, whether she likes classical or country music... or possibly show tunes.”

Rarity looked at Fluttershy expectantly; with this information she could begin to add to the structure of her plan.

“Well... I... um, Rarity, why do you want to know all of this? And why can't you just ask Rainbow?”

Rarity intended to tell Fluttershy everything eventually, but was hoping it could wait until she heard what she needed to hear; seeing that she probably wouldn't be able to do that, she decided to just tell Fluttershy everything.

“Alright, Fluttershy, I wish to know this information because... I wish to get Rainbow to go on a date with me and I intend to first win her heart by showing her how much she means to me... which I've found is actually quite a lot.”

The information that Fluttershy had just received was the absolute last thing she had expected from Rarity; she and Rarity had previously spent their spa date talking about various things, like whatever stallion Rarity had her eye on, or... dresses; pretty much one of those two things. But that Rarity was now interested in Rainbow Dash romantically? It was unexpected. Fluttershy usually just sat there to listen and comment on whatever Rarity was talking about; but to hear that Rarity is now after Rainbow Dash, her long-time friend... she didn't know what to think.

“So... you plan to shower her in romantic gifts to win her heart?”

“Yes, among other things, she will definitely receive a fair amount of gifts; flowers might seem like a cliché... but then again, the classics are always good...”

It all still seemed strange to Fluttershy, but she supposed that Rainbow Dash did have a fair amount of qualities that she knew Rarity found desirable; of course, she wasn't sure that Rainbow would appreciate certain things that Rarity liked; flowers being around the top of that list.

“...Oh! And I was also planning on writing her a song and I figured it should be something soothing; like possibly I could compose a song on the piano for her. Or I could write a song and get the Pony Tones to sing it!! It'll be great! My, I have such good ideas!”

“Oh, um, yes; I suppose that could work...”

“Of course it'll work; anyways, anything new with you?”

The spa date continued with small talk for about an hour or so after that, at which point the two friends parted ways. Fluttershy to go back to her cottage and Rarity for a friendly visit to her dear, dear friend, with whom she never, ever argued. A visit for absolutely no reason (or so she'd tell Applejack).





Walking to Sweet Apple Acres, with the clear sky overhead, Rarity took note of the gathered information for her plan: Well, all I really got from Fluttershy is that I should write a song for the Pony Tones to perform... while that's a good idea, its still not enough. I hope Applejack has something I can use, although getting it from her may be... problematic.

Eventually she started down the dirt path to the Apple Family's house; she thought it was a shame to walk on the dirt right after a hooficure, but she felt it was for a good cause. The things she did for Rainbow that she would never even know about... her poor hoofs were really the unsung heroes in all of this.

Walking to the house, she allowed her mind to wander to other things... of course they always seemed to wander back to Rainbow Dash. I really must get those gala dresses made soon... even with all of this going on, I still have a business to run. Maybe Rainbow needs a new dress, though... I mean, I doubt she would want to go to the Grand Galloping Gala again... also, I suppose I may be tempted to make it a bit more... racy now that I realize I find her attractive... But, in any case, it may get me in a mood to finish those other dresses... though if I make one for her-

Part way to the house, Applejack, who was working in the orchard, saw her and called her over. “Howdy, Rarity; it's mighty nice to see you here, what brings you to the orchard?”

“Ah, Applejack; what a coincidence. I was just out here for a nice, relaxing stroll. Nothing weird about that, wouldn't you say?”

“Uhh, Ah guess...”

“Quite, now that that's cleared and you're here; I'd like to ask you about one of our mutual friends.”

“Alrighty then.”

“Ok, I would like to know what kind of flowers Rainbow Dash likes; you grow flowers here on your farm, surely you... just what is so funny?”

At the mention of Rainbow Dash and flowers Applejack burst into laughter.

“Heh heh... its just that *snort* you said 'Rainbow Dash' and 'flowers' in the same sentence. Ya know, as if she buys flowers from me.”

Rarity was in no mood for Applejack's uncouthy... ness.

“Applejack, I insist that you start making sense; where else would she get flowers to decorate her house or put in her hair?”

This just made Applejack laugh harder.

“Bah-hahaa!! Flowers! And the... *snort* in her hair... hehe.”

“Applejack, this is serious; I absolutely must know!”

Seeing that Rarity was serious, she resisted the urge to laugh even harder in order to reply.

“Uhh, why d'ya need to know? Hehe, you planin on buyin her a bouquet to show her how pretty you think she is? ...hehe.”

Applejack was, of course, joking. Rarity knew this; however, it did not stop her face from blushing, nor did it stop her from having a short internal panic attack... all of which Applejack definitely noticed.

“Uhh... Rarity? Is that actually what ya'd do?”

Composing herself, Rarity replied with elegance and grace, as always.

“I-I... what? Why would I want to d-do that? You know, I don't have time for all of your... your rudeness, right now, Applejack. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go... make dresses. Good day, Applejack.”

“Really, though? Is tha-”

“I said good day!”

Leaving in a hurry, Rarity didn't really see how that could have gone worse; Applejack was now very suspicious of her behavior and would probably follow up by asking one of their other friends about her unusual behavior.

Still back where she and Rarity had talked, Applejack said to herself, “Well, this ought to be interesting; I wonder if Twilight knows anything about this...”





Well this day has pretty much gone downhill since Twilight's... well, in regards to my planning at least... hopefully my visit with Pinkie Pie will be a nice, informative, non-disastrous one. Yes, I'm sure that will happen...

Walking into Sugar Cube Corner, Rarity saw Pinkie Pie sitting alone at a table.

Ok, this is great; I'll go over there, ask my questions, and go back home to plan my course of action. Then, I will put it into action tomorrow! Cause that's what I do; I am a mare of action!

Approaching the table, Pinkie Pie looked at Rarity and her ever present smile grew wider.

“Oh! Hiya, Rarity! Want a cupcake!?!”

“Err, no thanks, darling; I actually came here to ask you about some things pertaining to Rainbow Dash. Seeing as how you plan all of her parties, I figured you might know.”

“Oooo, that sounds fun, but I figured you would be making dresses for that gala order thingy you have.”

“Oh, yes; I still need to do that, but... I kind of got sidetracked; you see, I can't seem to stop thinking about... something. And I was hoping you might be able to help me with... something.”

Shrugging, Pinkie Pie replied, “Oh, alright.”

“Ok, well. This absolutely must be kept a secret, Pinkie Pie; I need you to Pinkie Promise that you will never speak of this to anypony... ever.”

“Okey dokey lokey.” Pinkie Pie said, while doing the motions for a Pinkie Promise.

“OK, so... ahem. I was thinking while I was making those dresses you mentioned and, well... it turns out that I may have... well...” Rarity whispered, “I have a crush on Rainbow Dash.”

Also whispering, Pinkie Pie said, “Go on...”

Sucking in a breath and exhaling slowly, Rarity replied, “I need to find out what kinds of things she likes so that I can woo her and get her to go on a date with me.”

Pinkie Pie's smile somehow grew even wider at this and she started bouncing up and down, despite not actually moving any of her limbs.

Sweet Celestia, What have I done?

“WOWSIE, that's just... soooo super-de-duper, I bet you'll want some sort of party for when she says yes and then... then... THIS WILL BE SO MUCH FUN!!!”

“What's gonna be fun Pinks?”

Aaaand now Rainbow Dash is right behind me... well this could have gone better...

“OH, RAINBOW DASH, me and Rarity were just talking about stuff, it was super fun; wanna join us?”

Much better.

“Err, I guess so. What were you two talking about that was 'so much fun?'”

“Oh, I can't tell you...” Looking around to make sure the coast was clear, Pinkie whispered, “It's a secret.”

“Sooooo, you're not gonna tell me?”

Pinkie Pie shook her head.

Turning to Rarity, Rainbow asks, “OK, what about you Rares; what were ya talking about?”

Rarity, still thinking about her current situation and what to do, just stared blankly at Rainbow.

“Rarity? Hello?”

“Huh? What? Ahem; oh, yes, the uhhh... weather, that's it,” she said, giving Rainbow an unconvincing smile.

“The weather is what's 'so fun' and 'a secret,' really?”

Rarity just continued to smile awkwardly.

Crap, oh crap, whatever am I to do? I've got to get out of here.

“Rarity? Are uhhh, are you alright? You're sweating... a lot. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen you sweat.”

Of course, dresses! They've never let me down!

“DRESSES.”

Rainbow looked at her, confused, “Wha-”

“I NEED TO GO MAKE DRESSES.”

Galloping out of Sugar Cube Corner, Rarity made her way back home with what little information she managed to glean; however small of an amount it was, it would have to do.





Ugh, what a stressful day... well, except for the spa, I suppose. In any case, it is time to plan out everything I'm going to do and to think of when the perfect time to reveal myself and ask her out is... or will be. Oh, and the perfect way to do so.

Retiring to her inspiration room to plan for tomorrow, Rarity spent the rest of the day (and most of the night) brainstorming and planning.

Tomorrow was the day her plan would go into action, so it had to be ready.

Author's Note:

Well here it is! While writing this, I realized something about myself: Wow, do I love semicolons! They're great; I usually just think to myself, "I could end this sentence, but why should I when I can just use a semicolon?" It's still technically right, which is the best kind of right! Anywho, any errors or whatever, just let me know; hope you enjoyed the story so far!