• Published 29th Dec 2014
  • 340 Views, 4 Comments

Something New - KingNyroc15



Friends try to make each other have fun, especially if another friend needs to lighten up.

  • ...
10
 4
 340

Chapter 2

Author's Note:

7 more dislikes than likes over fhe first chapter? People really do love to judge a book by its cover.

The next morning had cool weather with a slightly cloudy sky. Winter and Shayden were already at the train station and have been waiting for Soren and Rainbow for a decent bit. They weren't running late for the train but they were supposed to be here by now.

After many more minutes of waiting, Shayden and Winter saw the other couple approaching in the distance. Both wore saddlebags and a smile on their faces. The patient couple soon heard their conversation when Soren and Rainbow were within hearing distance.

"...how she still had that irritated expression even though that happened yesterday," Soren was saying.

"Yeah. I made her blush big time with that joke about you and Luna." The two now entered the train station.

"I see you two are reliving what happened yesterday," Shayden commented.

"Only because we visited her again before coming here. Soren had to grab something." Shayden looked at the alicorn, who began rummaging through his bags. He soon pulled out a smaller bag with a picture of a golden Bit on it.

"Had to make sure I had enough money for the trip. I hope you all brought some too to help out." Shayden and Winter nodded, the latter the only one smiling. Rainbow scoffed to herself. "Relax," Soren whispered to her, "he'll open up. Twilight made sure of that. Our second stop, remember?"

"What are you two whispering about?" Winter asked with a suspicious glance.

"Oh nothing. Just had to remind Rainbow to play nice. Is the train ready to go?"

"They said anyone can board, but it won't be leaving for another twenty minutes. They have to make sure they are prepared."

"That's fine. Let's find a space then." Shayden and Winter stood up and put on their own saddlebags. The four ponies entered the train; the ride would take at least a day.

---------------

"I don't think I comprehended how long we will be gone until now," Shayden said randomly as the four of them enjoyed lunch in the dining car. While chewing his food, Soren nodded. He swallowed then spoke.

"Tomorrow we will arrive in Fillydelphia; we'll spend a day there. The next day, we take a carriage toward Manehattan, but we'll have to walk the last third of the distance. In Manehattan, we'll spend two days exploring and having a good time. The next day we take a train to Neighagra Falls to spend some of the day there. Lastly, we catch the soonest train back to Ponyville, where we should arrived sometime in the next day." Winter counted to herself.

"If all goes according to plan, this trip will be...at least seven days long," she said. Shayden was a little surprised.

"I thought we would be away longer," he commented before taking a bite of his own food. Soren shook his head.

"It's kind of long but not a month long like you were probably thinking." Winter gave a small laugh.

"Sounds like you two have been planning this out for awhile."

"Nah," Rainbow said. "We made up the plan like three days ago. We invited Shayden, then went to see Twilight after that to begin planning. As you can tell, we're pretty good at thinking on the spot."

"That's good. Can't say I'm not at least a little impressed." She paused so she could change the subject. "So is there anywhere specific in any of our destinations that you two wanted to see?" Rainbow had continued eating, so Soren answered.

"Not really. Maybe somewhere in Manehattan, but we'll be mostly exploring. That's the fun of the trip. Exploring towns to see what they have. Didn't you say you work in Fillydelphia?" She nodded.

"I haven't been working there for very long. I'm studying along my students, but I study more advanced materials, of course. I love my job, the city...and the ponies I have met." She put her hoof over Shayden's.

"Shayden says you two have been dating for a few months. How did you two meet?"

"He came to Filly to research nebulous magic. The public library didn't have anything on the subject because the only book available was in the University. Our university. Out library is open to all if a class isn't scheduled to be there. Honestly, you might as well put in a request to have the book transferred to the public library for the day, but Shayden was curious about the school. He told me there were no such things as universities from where he came from." Soren looked at Shayden, who was merely letting Winter tell the tale. Has he told her of the alternate Equestria?

"I was in the library as well, researching my own hobbies. I found myself interested in the dark unicorn that was so focused on his book that he was practically shooting daggers with his eyes." She giggled when Shayden looked away in slight embarrassment. "I walked over to him and managed to strike a conversation. Not many ponies research such advanced magic as smoke or cloud. It's hard to manipulate. As we spoke, I was taken aback by his politeness and intelligence. He called me Miss even though we are around the same age.

"From there, the conversations became more general. We learned about each other. Pretty soon, we were spending time together at lunch or stargazing. I showed him the basic constellations, to which he said it was fairly cloudy where he was from. Before we knew it, we were dating and have been happy ever since." Her and Shayden shared a kiss. Soren noticed the small smile on his unicorn friend's face.

"So how did you and Rainbow meet?" Winter asked. The couple exchanged glances. Soren turned back to Winter and Shayden, who also didn't know the full story of the two.

"Heheh, it's a long and...interesting story. Are you sure you want to hear it? Actually, how well do you know my reputation?" Winter raised a hoof then pointed to it every time she named something.

"Battle of the Nyrs..." Soren flinched then cursed to himself for reacting that way still. "Confronting the Elementals, confronting Queen Chrysalis, confronting Nightmare Moon reincarnate, and finally pretending to be dead and going off to do whatever it was. Only your friends know what you truly did." Soren and Rainbow sat there, mouths agape. How the hay did she know all that?!

"She does her research," Shayden said as if reading their minds. "So I'm sure your tale couldn't be worse than all of those things, some of which even I am amazed you did."

Soren cleared his throat. "Very well. It all started on a train similar to this actually..."

He explained everything from Rainbow's sudden kiss on the train, her killing Nyra on accident, when Soren and Cain were in the same body after the Battle of the Nyrs, then finally how he at last chose her as his special somepony.

------------

The train ride went smoothly. Not many passengers were present; Shayden found that to be a bonus. He preferred a more quiet environment; quite the opposite of Rainbow Dash, who grew increasingly bored with the quiet train ride. Soren entertained her by singing with her, which only occupied her for an hour or two. 'It isn't the same without the guitar,' she explained. Luckily for her, the day was just about over.

Everyone had a peaceful sleep that night; even Soren and Shayden didn't experience the occasional nightmare. Most of the next morning was spent looking outside as the landscape rolled by. They arrived in Fillydelphia a little past noon.

The city wasn't as grand as Manehattan but it was definitely a sight to behold. From the train station, it looked as though Fillydelphia was comprised of tall buildings, quaint houses, and various stores. Winter pointed to the university in the distance, the top half of it being seen above the smaller buildings.

Soren and Winter led the group, with the former pointing out things of interest and the latter being the group's escort. Winter led them down a particular street of interest. They quickly found out why. The street was in between buildings with no doors leading into them and was occupied by nothing but street performers. At least a dozen ponies performed their own talents or hobbies in order to receive tips or simply to have fun.

As he looked at the various acts (a juggler with eight balls, a balancer on top of junk that stacked easily five yards tall, and an artist speed painting), Soren also heard the other acts. Musicians weren't uncommon on this street, but one particular instrument assaulted his ear drums. One pony was playing a simple song on his guitar, but certain notes were sour.

"There ya go, buddy," he said to the musician, tuning the guitar with magic. The musician felt the tug of magic then looked up at the alicorn. He then pointed to his ear, shook his head, and bowed slightly to Soren. A deaf musician? Not impossible but it sucks to not know when your instrument is out of tune. Maybe Twilight or Luna can invent something to help.

"You said you are a singer and a musician," Winter said after they passed the pony. "Care to demonstrate your talent?"

"Is there a music store nearby?" Winter pointed in the direction and began leading them there.