• Published 25th Dec 2014
  • 820 Views, 14 Comments

Snowed in on Hearth's Warming Eve - GoneGuy



The Mane 6 are stuck in Golden Oaks Library as the blizzard rages outside on Hearth's Warming Eve. Twilight decides to read "A Hearth's Warming Carol" to the group as more and more ponies pile in, stuck in until the weather clears.

  • ...
3
 14
 820

1: Snowed In

Author's Note:

Ignore the "Blizzard Entertainment" stuff in the Youtube link, Just listen to the song as you read the tale.

"Well girls, I suppose there isn't much we can do until the weather lets up."

Twilight Sparkle and her friends sat on the ground floor of Golden Oaks library as a deep, snowy blizzard raged through the night. It was around 8:00 p.m. and the moon was unviewable through the large, puffy snow clouds.

"What I don't understand is why Cloudsdale decided to schedule a blizzard on Hearth's Warming Eve." Rainbow Dash wondered aloud.

"Applejack? When can we git home? Big McIntosh and Granny Smith are probably worried sick about us." Apple Bloom said as she sat next to her older sister and next to the other Cutie Mark Crusaders. Their cousin, Babs Seed, was visiting town over the holiday and had been hanging out with the Crusaders as the blizzard began. Applejack and Rarity had scooped up the four fillies before the snow got too deep and brought them to the nearest shelter, Golden Oaks Library.

"Ah know, little sis, but like Twilight said, there's nothing we can do about it. Granny Smith and Big Mac will be fine without us."

"Yes," Rarity interjected, "there's nothing we can do. So, we must merely wait it out."

As the group sat, buried in their own thoughts, they heard a loud knock at the door.

"Spike, could you get that?" Twilight asked her number one assistant as she looked for something on the bookshelves.

Spike answered the door, and the grey pegasus who stood there looked extremely cold.

"Oh, hi Derpy! Uh.... you look really cold."

"Yeah, I am kinda cold," the grey mare said, "mind if I spend the blizzard in here with you guys?"

"Of course not!" Pinkie said with glee, "the more the merrier!"

Derpy walked in and pulled out a small bag from her satchel. She dumped the contents onto the table on the side of the room, revealing a mess of sugar cookies, obviously brought from Sugarcube Corner.

"Ooh! Did Mr. and Mrs. Cake ask you to bring those cookies? They look delicious!" Rainbow Dash asked, eyeing the baked goods.

"Yeah! She said it was a little Hearth's Warming present for you guys."

"Um.... Twilight.... what are you looking for?" Fluttershy asked her friend, avoiding the conversation on the other side of the room.

"I'm looking for a particular book. I thought it might be nice to read it while we are here. It's a Hearth Warming Eve story."

"Oh.... maybe I can help you find it?"

"That's alright, I don't need any help."

"Oh.... okay...."

The group was startled at another knock at the door.

"Spike? Can you get that too?"

Spike answered the door for the second time, and two familiar ponies stepped into the room, with the white unicorn removing her scarf with her magic and the dark grey earth pony pulling her cello case inside.

"Terribly sorry to intrude," Octavia began, "but can we trouble you to stay here while the blizzard is raging?"

"Yeah," Vinyl continued her friend's thought, "It's really hard to see out there."

"Perhaps the cold weather is fogging up your glasses, Vinyl."

"Ha ha,! You may be right, Tavi."

"Does anypony mind if I practice my cello?"

No one minded, and she set up and began to play a familiar tune.

"Aha! Found it!"

Twilight walked back into the room, levitating a book with her magic.

"Everypony, I'm going to read you a story now, a classic from olden pony times that tells a special message of this special day."

"What story is it?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"It's called 'A Hearth's Warming Carol', by Quill Penworthy. He's a famous author from the Crystal Empire.

"Oh.... Ms. Cherilee read us that story last week in class." Scootaloo complained.

"Scootaloo, it never hurts to hear a good book again." Twilight said with a smile.

With the book levitated in front of her face, Twilight began to recite the story.

"It all began long ago, in the city of Trottingham.... but this was before it was called Trottingham, you see.... back then, it was only called 'Village'. It was so unknown, it had no name."