• Published 25th Dec 2014
  • 820 Views, 14 Comments

Snowed in on Hearth's Warming Eve - GoneGuy



The Mane 6 are stuck in Golden Oaks Library as the blizzard rages outside on Hearth's Warming Eve. Twilight decides to read "A Hearth's Warming Carol" to the group as more and more ponies pile in, stuck in until the weather clears.

  • ...
3
 14
 820

8: "A Hearth's Warming Carol" Part 5

Icy Heart awoke once again as the bell of his clock tolled 2:00 a.m.

"No spirit. Perhaps lady luck is on my side now."

Then, he heard a crashing noise downstairs. He carefully maneuvered downstairs, clutching the candlestick stand in his teeth, to see a shocking sight. A tall, burly alicorn male stood in his dining room, with a large feast about him, eating many things. He wore a wreath of holly around his head, and had a long, brown, curly mane.

"W-Who might you be, giant?"

"Ah, Icy Heart. I've been waiting for you. I am the Ghost of Hearth's Warming Present," the alicorn lifted the miser with his magic and transported them both to the next day and began to walk with him around town.

"Where are we going?"

"We are going to see the joy in today's holiday."

"Fine. But may I ask why your scabbard has no blade to fill it?"

"My scabbard represents peace in Equestria and good will towards ponies. Here, look inside."

The miser stared into the window to see his own nephew, Joyful Heart.

"It's my dear departed brother's son, Joyful Heart."

"Yes, and behold what he does on this most joyful of days."

Joyful Heart began to carve his family's dinner, a large oat and hay sculpture, serving it to all of his children and his wife before seating himself and his own dinner.

"Let us give thanks for Uncle Icy Heart, for whom we have family to love this holiday." he said.

"The dear boy.... I didn't think he cared...."

"He is your own blood! Of course he cares! Now come, there is more to see."

"What poor soul's home is this we are visiting now?"

"This is the home of your clerk, Stricken Poverty."

"P-Poverty.... I had no idea he lived in such a poor home."

"He does. And look, he has a wife and four foals."

"Who is the dear young colt with the crutch?"

"That is Tiny Tim, otherwise known as 'Timid Poverty.' He is a poor lad, sick and in pain. But, as you say, he must be scum of Equestria, is he not?"

Icy Heart's own face began to well up with tears as he looked at the poor lad."

"Now, I show you a vision of the future, a few months from now."

The vision was the same, but Tiny Tim was nowhere to be found. A lonesome crutch, carefully preserved by the fireplace, sat empty, as did the chair it was held up by.

"Will....will the poor lad.... die?"

"If something does not change the shadows of the future, then yes, the lad will die. But, he better do it quickly, as you say, and decrease the census population."

The spirit began to fade away as the two returned to Icy Heart's bed room.

"Spirit! Please! Help the poor lad!"

"There is nothing I can do, Icy Heart. I leave you, as my time grows short. Good-bye, Icy Heart."

"No! Spirit!"

Icy Heart awoke once more, and decided to take a trot around the village to clear his thoughts.

Soon enough, the city's bells rung thrice, and a deep mist began to descend around him.