• Published 11th Jan 2015
  • 802 Views, 5 Comments

Wisp - Corsiva



Temptation. To look, to seek, to risk all of which so little remains. Of hope, in himself, that he never gives weight to the very misgivings which has robbed him of far too much already. For it is only when the light is lost that one can truly see.

  • ...
7
 5
 802

Chapter 2

Canterlot; Barracks - Mid Afternoon

"Hey," Does one guardpony speak as she wiggles back and forth under the weight of lopsided barb, "Did you check out the half dozen ponies coming back from that swamp expedition this afternoon?"

"What about them?" Another guardpony, not far behind, continue as he himself fidgets with his helmet.

"Weren't there around a dozen who volunteered?"

"I thought so too! But that's all I saw get off the train from Ponyville this morning while at my station." Another gives account.

"But don't you all think that is just a bit weird?" Does the conversation instigator once more inquire.

"You worry too much." Comes yet another voice to her left, "I heard they were all granted bonus leave upon completion of their assignment. Most chances are as soon as they got into Ponyville they hit the ground galloping." Giving the room a quick once over, "I know I would."

"Ah, well maybe." The mare gives halfhearted consideration, giving her head but another light shake with helmet falling in place. "Still. For a bunch of ponies about to get time off they sure don't seem too happy about it." Her attention grabbed with flickering ear, "Hear that?"

Upon the once noisy barrack, silence gives cover save for the distant but steadily approaching clop. As if of melody, ears begin to flick with widening eyes shifting in unison towards that of closed metal door, save for one stallion who begins to frantically slide discarded barding back on. With the clop coming to an end just before their door, they fully turn and adopt rigid posture regardless of proper uniform.

"Oh pish posh. They must be in between changing of the guard." Comes the soft velvet like tone that serves only to heighten anxiety and anticipation, to the point of at least one resounding clash of metal to marble. Of a few tense seconds, finally comes several light knocks. "Hello?"

"Yes, your highness!" of returned chorus, comes the slow creak of weighted hinges and forward sliding hooves.

Of taller stature and purest of white, the pony of golden adornment slowly moves through the archway to that of a dozen and a half still in respectful kneeling display. Adopting a warm genuine smile, she ushers them back up with the subtle raising of her muzzle. Bidding her time for all to rise, she barely stifles an chuckle to the ruffled mane of one in only partial barb.

"I believe I must apologize, my little ponies. It appears my visit could of been of better timing." She lifts her foreleg in order to hopefully quell the visibly apologetic expressions already forming, "Please, be at ease." To of only partial, and silent, success.

"I hope to have come to you all in good spirits?" Does she attempt once more to coax that which often remains hidden, "Ah, is that the new barding of Princess Luna's banner?" causing instead the mare now spotlighted to freeze under soft but steady gaze. "She will be pleased."

"Y-yes!" Does the guard snap in tone and posture, "T-thank you Princess Celestia!"

"Oh, best not to let Princess Luna hear you say it like that." Princess Celestia attempts now to tease with slight crook in her smile, "She might accuse me of trying to steal you for my own." Taking casual trot up close and near, "She often laments of how precious each and every Lunar Guard is to her. Why just the other day she was boasting about a Private Whistling Willow having just come under her wing."

"..." Through silence and deep blush, does the slight creep of grin begin to form. Struggle as she may, the mare only succeeds in forming an expression from a small too foul, much to the domino effect of any guard looking back as muffled snicker and giggles ring out.

"See?" Princess Celestia adopts an casual smirk, "It is so much easier to just let it come than force it back." Of even greater internal glee to hear the mist of stagnant repertoire replaced with something not often openly afforded to her. "But she really did say she was proud."

"..thank you."

"Of all here, and those not, mind you." She looks back and around to each and every pony, who in turn trade laughter for expressions of pride. "Of these words, and more, I am also eager to give to those returning from an mission. But I seem to have missed finding them..."

"I think they're in another barrack down the hall, your highness." One guardpony speaks up with an more relaxed tone, "The six of them arrived earlier in the afternoon of locomotive, from Ponyville station." His own eyes widening to the change in expression sent his way.

"Six, you say." Princess Celestia lets her eyes fall slightly to the ground, of deep contemplation, before her ears flick and pivot towards the open doorway. Lifting her eyes as to make sure of no misunderstandings, she keeps her ears turned and tilted even as she smiles and nods.


"He's going to get himself killed, is what he's going to do."

"I dunno. The Sergeant's pretty darn tough. Hay, the whole family is."

"Yeah, and who did we lose? The cannonball with wings and the brick wall they called little sis."

"But would you do any different? Especially if you thought you heard one of them scream for help behind all that mist?"

"We searched for two days and didn't even find a hoof print. Even if he goes back, how does he expect to find them?"

"I'm sure the Princesses will.."

"..never get bothered with such blemishes, as that newly stationed Captain oh so put it?"


Against the unnoticed from outside passing, does the weight of words find no such luxury. Of no guards does even shifting hoof give sound of presence, with that of fleeting heart felt earnest so easily pushed aside. Upon the faint clip of golden metal to granite flooring, do a few guards react in flinch, of widened eyes anew as if the very heat of the sun moves alongside them.

"Please excuse me." Princess Celestia neither looks back nor slows her stride. She only comes to an halt with partially out of the archway, the door swung out already clasped in subtle golden glow, with her gaze onto that which continues to walk and talk oblivious. Of but a moment in passing, she gives yet one final look back as the door begins to move along with her own hooves.

With closed door to her flank, she gently clips her hooves to the floor on her journey not far behind that of three still in official barb. Careful not to make a sound, she is forced to dip into adjacent corridor as the three guard ponies reach their barrack door. With muzzle dipped low, she waits for creak and click before taking step back on route. Of opposite hall, does the wide eyed stare of once trotting guard meet her own, with hoof to pursed lips responded with hesitant nod. Giving her thanks in mouthed routine, she continues onwards to closed door.

"Well?"

"He was adamant in going back."

"And you just let him go?"

"Hey I didn't see any of you trying to stronghoof the Sergeant!"

"That's cause none of us know him!"

"And we do? We've worked with him only a few times okay?"

"Well, what are we going to do now?"

"What can we do?"

"W-well maybe we should go and tell somepony?"

"And just who're we going to tell?"

"Me." Does she speak mere inches from closed door, of ruckus and verbal surprise non existent in return. Taking of cue, she uses her golden glow to unlock and swing open to that of ever increasing fearful expression across that of nine muzzles. Stepping forth, she barely clears the arched groove on the floor before closing the door behind her with resounding click, never to take her eyes off those before her.

"You are not in trouble." Does her words and soft tone give remedy to stares unbecoming of those she so cares for. Using her magic once more, every trim of closed door glitters in golden hue. "For what you have to say shall fall on wandering ear no more."

"Princess Celestia!" comes the resounding wave of unified speech as forelegs etch forward in kneeling display.

"You needn't kneel here, my little ponies." She gives a bit more haste to her quickly repeated upturn of muzzle, "You need only speak the truth, of nothing more or less." Forced once more past normal mannerism, "Twelve were sent. Only nine return. Why?"

"U-um...w-well..." Of one rattled unicorn stallion giving failing attempt, with many falling in line.

"We were on the final day of our mission with nothing abnormal to report. Two guards on morning patrol went missing. We were informed and started immediate search and rescue efforts, to no avail. Sergeant Clover reported hearing one of them through the deep mist." The pegasus mare near the forefront speaks with flat professional tone, even if light quiver of feathers cannot help but find their way through.

"Then why have you returned?" Princess Celestia's tone gives of curiosity rather than threat. "Neither I or Princess Luna have been informed of any such rescue efforts." Wishing to hear once more that which had only been said in quick passing.

"We were ordered back to Princess Twilight's castle." Comes next the very low tone belonging to stallion unicorn farther left.

"Who relieved the expedition?" Princess Celestia, under growing internal duress, feigns ignorance once more.

"Captain Virtuous, your highness." The earth mare to the right marks third to the trio of mere minutes ago.

"Princess Twilight's Captain was given no such jurisdiction." She lifts her brow slightly, "Nor did he give of any mention when he came to retrieve Princess Twilight's just completed royal chariot." before finally letting them become rigid. "Where is Sergeant Clover?"

"Sergeant Clover was ordered to give personal account of the mission to Princess Twilight Sparkle, your highness." The earth mare speaks once more even under wane of strong stare, "He had just met with the Princess when we boarded the train leaving Ponyville."

"Did he give reason as to why he sought to remain in Ponyville?" Princess Celestia, giving them of a few moments, finds only silence. With shifting eyes, she finds all caught within forced into downward stare. "Then I will send for him to account..."

"He went back."

"To rejoin the rescue efforts?"

"..what rescue efforts." Does the pegasus mare, to the sharp inhale of several farther back of her cold tone, finally bring to light. "The Captain didn't relieve us. He just came and ordered us back. Sergeant Clover protested but after the Captain threatened him.."

"To move forward with needless assumption is of luxury, one of many that I refuse to partake." She steps closer to the one most forthcoming, "Tell of what transpired between Twilight's Captain and my Sergeant, and spare to me no detail."

"W-well we were all moving about looking for anything, especially the Sergeant, and..." Causing the mare to turn back and twirl her foreleg towards stallion unicorn, who in turn adopts serious expression along with deep inhale of breath.

"Sergeant Clover." Does the stallion in pearl white armor of borderline pink trim loudly address, "You are hereby ordered without delay to the Halls of Harmony, upon Princess Twilight Sparkle's request." to which lack of reply brings forceful outcry. "Sergeant Clover!"

"I heard you!" Sergeant Clover nearly growls in distinct reply, much to the visibly disconcerting expression far below. With the lofty setting of wing, does once in flight Sergeant come barreling down in mud splattering display. "And as I said to the other one, no!"

"This is an order from an Princess of Equestria, Sergeant. You will comply." The guard, of so far several in try, attempt once more to bring back that which resists all attempts to be tethered. "Resist further and risk being brought under Tribunal for Dereliction of Duty."

"We have members of the guard missing in action." Sergeant Clover announces of what has been several fold, "Until relieved by proper reinforcement I shall not abandon my post nor those under my command." of almost nose to nose. "Do I make myself, clear?"

"But of course. But maybe so must I, yes?" Comes yet another voice of more callous conjecture, "As Captain, of course."

"I...was not aware that you were of the area, Captain Virtuous."

"Nevertheless..." The unicorn Captain moves with grace granted only by magically suspended walkway, "If I am to be made aware, Sergeant, you wish to refuse Royal decree and continue in mission approved by none but yourself?"

"We may have completed our original mission sir but the resc..."

"Sergeant!" The Captain's voice echos about, "If you will still be called that shall remain entirely up to you and you alone. I shall do but a favor, and once more relay that which comes from Princess Twilight Sparkle herself." before resting in proper sight, "And please do care that you answer not only for yourself but also of those under your temporary command."

"I...understand, Sir."

"Good." For which the Captain begins his retreating in pompous stride, "Oh and Sergeant? I do hate blemishes. Especially when a Princess must force even things of utmost urgency to fall in delay because of all the questions that may come of them."

"Yes, Sir." Sergeant Clover clenches through the words as many a swear proceed to spew through growling breath. With eyes blinded of rage does his mouth open and take hold of fallen wooden rubble. Giving it a few wild shakes, he slams it back onto the ground followed by the heavy pound of frontal hooves unbeknownst to the trio of tiny sets eyes giving mixed stares of wonder and confusion.

"..are you sure he isn't related to you?" Does the orange pegasus whisper from behind nearby bush, of many better concealing foliage disregarded in their hasty pursuit of Everfree edge bound stallion. "I mean who wears a shroud in the dead of summer heat?"

"Fer the last durn time, no!" The bright red mane wiggles from under rustling guise. "Mah family ain't crazy ya hear?"

"Ah! He's looking this way!" Another squeaks with rustled brush shaking violently once more, "Ow! Move over!" To which two more voices of discomfort, and occasional borderline swear, spew forth like that of ever increasing broken leaf. "I'm telling!"

"For/Fer what?!" With two of three given rise to such declaration.

"For swearing..."

"Uh, Sweetie belle, that was you."

"No it wasn't!" Sweetie belle pitches high in defense.

"Uh-huh. That definitely had Rarity written all over it!"

"An mah sister Applejack don't cuss none like that." The little filly proclaims proudly.

"Yeah right, Apple Bloom" Does the lowest voice come once more into play, "What about that time she fell in the hog pit?"

"Ah, yah... But she apologized mighty quick fer what she done!" Apple Bloom eagerly professes.

"Only cause Granny Smith threatened to get it from the real good tree."

"Oh like yer one ta talk, Scootaloo." Apple Bloom attempts deflection.

"Hey I ain't got anything to hide!" Scootaloo, now on the defend, throws both forelegs in the air.

"What about the time you got grounded from Rainbow Dash for 3 months." Does squeaky voice begin anew, "We warned you!"

"Hey it's not my fault my mom and dad aren't cool enough." Now crossing that which once held high.

"Ah don't think anypony is cool enough fer what Rainbow Dash has ta say about being stuck in ah old apple tree."

"Hey he's gone!" Sweetie belle makes in observation, "Maybe he really didn't see us." against the downtrodden double stare given under once leaf filled cover. "Maybe he's just upset cause he has that Canterlot stick sickness everypony is going on about."

"Stick sickness?" Scootaloo confesses slight interest.

"Yeah ah heard mah sister going on about it too." Apple Bloom rubs her foreleg to underside muzzle, "Don't think we gonna catch it do ya?"

"Don't worry," "Sweetie Belle turns back with confidence, "I've been around it all my life and I'm still okay!"


"Achoo!"

"Well, there goes Fluttershy. Again." Applejack makes verbal observation against the light patting of hoof to chest, "Bless ya, Rarity." Who in turn begins to rigorously search for that which might give proper relief of her embarrassment, struggles of words in kind.

"Here, I got you." Spike, having mostly remained silent and stilled of before and now, reaches over and snatches upon that which one be considered adorned. Taking of no mind to surprise in purple eyes, he rushes and hands over. "Hope you're not catching a cold."

"Ahem."

Quick to snatch, she wipes and gleams clean against wide range in attention still mostly unseen. "Why thank you, Applejack." Before using her light blue magical hue to ball and throw of things now unclean. "And you too, my little Spikey Wikey."

"Ahem."

Rainbow, who merely rolls her eyes, returns her stare towards that of even greater disdain alongside souring apple. With party popper and once more down and out butterfly given in to reprisal of antics does lavender and diamonds begin the same to purple and green.

"Ahem!"

"We heard you/ya!" Comes raspy southern discomfort to the most undignified of return glare, with such verbal recourse bringing Fluttershy back in slight confused rise. With Pink returning to her seat, butterscotch gives but quick side glance before looking back down.

"Princess Twilight, please." Captain Virtuous addresses under well composed strain, "Perhaps it would be best if we continued this discussion elsewhere? I assure you that it is of most importance in regards to your royal presence throughout your kingdom."

"My royal presence?" Princess Twilight turns her head in response with a drag taken of notice, "Did we finally obtain additional funding to help build onto the castle for holding friendship court?" Of no smile or joy given through or after.

"Are you okay?" Applejack asks across the table, forced to ignore the pompous huff that follows. "Maybe call it ah day?"

"Oh, I'm alright." Princess Twilight returns with forced half smile, "Plus the Captain's been patiently waiting for hours and I don't want to miss out if we've finally secured the funding." with subtle sincerity pushing up other half. "Right, Captain?"

"Unfortunately, your highness, we are still in the process of filing all the necessary paperwork." The Captain once more struggles of intended display, "But surely, your majesty. If you would only give but a few private moments of your time..."

"So what were their names?" Rainbow dash, of somewhere between annoyed and guilt ridden, grabs attention from unusual tone.

"Pardon me?" Captain Virtuous raises his left brow before looking back towards Princess Twilight, of whom shares the same ilk from all around the circular table. Letting his eyes remain only on that which he feels he owes of any reply, "Princess?"

"Rainbow's asking fer the names of those lost to the Hayseed Swamps." Applejack slightly looks over to now rising Fluttershy and retreating Pinkie Pie, "Ah think we all are, Mister Virtuous."

"Who told.." His quick to ire flaring up the same of several in return, "..you of such unfortunate events?"

"Sergeant Virtuous." Princess Twilight kindly addresses to which attention is now given, "I know the loss weighs heavily on you especially, having been ponies directly under your command, but please remember that we are still in shock of just having found out ourselves."

He readies himself for reply until continued gaze demands only further silence.

"But of several times during your wait you've needlessly taken it out on all in this room." Of slightly hardened stare becomes borderline glare, "You chided Fluttershy when she asked how you were feeling, you stared at Pinkie Pie's good gesture cupcake in disgust."

Opting finally to hop off her chair and onwards to unsettled stallion, "You scoffed when Rarity, who might I add designed the color scheme on the uniform you wear, made compliment to you. You even called Applejack the workpony after she tried to introduce herself."

His eyes continue to widen to the slow encircle of riled lavender coat.

"You haven't even acknowledged Spike, whom attempted several times to talk to you during your wait. And maybe you thought using your magic to subtlety lock the doors so that no more ponies from Ponyville, our home, could interrupt would go unnoticed." Finally taken to mere inches between muzzle to muzzle, "But it didn't."

"P-princess I can assure you..."

"Do you know why you were asked to be stationed as Captain under banner?" Her tone warns to remain silent even further, "Because of every pony and dragon that you've refused to consider, they did just that for you." Taking a step back, "I have no personal need for one."

"You're firing me?!" Captain Virtuous nearly shrieks, causing lavender hoof to strike just below base of horn.

"She's telling you that you're a big jerk!" Rainbow's expression tightens into a scowl, "Can't believe I voted for you."

"You be quiet!" The Captain, to the rage of cyan, swings up his foreleg in hoof jab.

"Then give us the names!" Rainbow Dash takes to the air in rough hover.

"I don't know them!" Having misunderstood true meaning behind his royal scolding, lets mannerism fall to the wayside along with those all around the table, now having adopted heightened anger or shock. "All I know is two went missing."

"Your lying." Rainbow accuses in hover across the table, "How do you search for ponies you know nothing about, huh?"

"The only pony that I needed to make contact with was Sergeant Clover." Captain Virtuous replies once more with a bit of venom, "That's how this works. How all of this is supposed to work!" with developing sneer. "But it seems that even Sergeant Clover forgets his place."

"Well this here workhorse sure don't." Applejack tips the underside of her stetson, "And ah reckon Sergeant Clover don't neither, considering just how upset he up and got over losing those ponies that ya don't seem to give two durn bits about."

"No! He disobeyed direct orders and for that I will see him put before tribunal!" He spits out in contempt, "To embarrass me in such a way, over two guard ponies who knew the risks getting lost in the mist? We could of searched for weeks and never found them!"

"Lost?" Does Princess Twilight almost whisper out, "But we were told funerals were already planned!"

"Of which, yet again, was not of his place to inform." The Captain begins to regain control of his ire, "I saw absolutely no need to risk further lives over one account of hearing a call for help two days stale. We were lucky, in my honest opinion, to have not lost the entire expedition."

"You... left them to die?!" Fluttershy, in growing tears, almost screams out.

"They were already dead, Element." He simply replies in condescending tone, once again.

"Cupcake rescinded!" Pinkie yells through her leap towards the Captain, landing just before and picking back up with her teeth that which was rudely left alone on the floor. "Meanie!" she somehow chastises coherently before her rush back to her seat.

"But you just said somepony heard them call for help?" Rarity raises her voice next, hoof over muzzle giving of no barrier.

"The Sergeant misheard, I assure you."

"Wait. Sergeant Clover is the one who heard them?" Princess Twilight asks with growing shock, "So he abandoned them?!"

Of only a moment, with ever so subtle flicker to his eyelids, "Yes."

"Ya no good filthy varmit!" Applejack slams both front hooves to the table, "Ah don't need nothing to know yer lying! But just so ya do know, ah do!" With such declaration turning any and all looks of residual shock towards unified anger, "Now fess up ya hear!"

"The Sergeant was given orders, issued by Princess Twilight Sparkle herself, to return to the Kingdom and give personal account of the original mission. He refused, and only after being reminded of his real responsibility did he conform to his orders." The Captain states as if on used paper, forced out of his indirect stare past intense glares to the sudden nearby flare of wings and nostrils.

"Are you telling me that you used me, like a weapon, to threaten the Sergeant into abandoning the search and rescue of ponies lost whose last known contact was a cry for help?" Closing of a few feet in the literal blink of an eye.

"Those were your orders." He barely keeps his composure under ever rising intensity, "What did you expect me to do?!"

"Spike!" Princess Twilight means of no redirection of her ire, "I need you to sent word to Princess..." with pause given only to the sudden implosive resonating sound just outside the throne room double doors, whose deep vibration lingers but for a few tense seconds.

Of no sound comes from anypony, or dragon, be it mare or stallion. Their attention upon the door is secured even further of the subtle but nerve rattling knocking undeserving of anticipated encore.

"T-the doors open?" Princess Twilight speaks with slight reservation, her neck giving in crook as the doors begin to creak open.

"Greetings." Comes the elegant but mild toned voice of lunar princess.

"Princess Luna!" Princess Twilight, with widening eyes, catches herself too late, "I-I mean, welcome!"

"Princess Twilight." Princess Luna gently dips her muzzle down in mutual respect before doing the same in wide spread. "Fluttershy, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Spike, and of course brave Rainbow Dash." With her eyes finally narrowing in downward glare.

Of which once defiant unicorn, flattened ears and pinprick iris give silent reply.

"You are most fortunate to wear the banner of another, Captain." She tersely informs.

"New motion!" Rainbow Dash swoops back down into her seat, foreleg raised high in the air, even as Princess Luna's glare only continues to grow as unicorn gradually shrinks. "I move to fire and replace our Captain!"

"Um...w-well..." Princess Twilight stammers to the legality of the notion.

"Here here!" Rarity joins in with her foreleg raised just as high along with passing apologetic glance given both ways.

"Ah reckon you have my support, unfortunately." Applejack joins in next, who quirks her brow with stare. "Only need one hoof, sugarcube."

Fluttershy, with wet butterscotch hair under her puffy eyes, holds both forelegs up with an rather sour but silent expression.

Pinkie Pie, having switched back and forth between double Fluttershy hooves and her own, rolls back and raises all four.

Princess Twilight, along with Spike, give each other rather long stern stares before the raising of talon and hoof.

Princess Luna lifts her muzzle and gaze towards Princess Twilight. "I wish I were here under better circumstances. However if the atmosphere within is of any indication, you have been made aware of what has transpired during and after the Hayseed Swamp expedition?" Giving but a few moments for nodding confirmation seven fold, "Then I must take my leave, once more."

"W-wait!" Princess Twilight speaks for all, "What about us?"

"Rescue efforts have resumed, with an entire regiment en route." She replies with understanding, "But given of what information we've obtained thus far too many complications have arisen to haphazardly send any and all." in the hope of it returned. "It is for the best."

"But we're the elements of harmony!" Rainbow professes, "We've fought Discord and Tirek!"

"I know." Princess Luna softly agrees.

"Ah gotta agree with Rainbow on this one." Applejack cautiously rings in, "Ah mean the Everfree is the most dangerous place in Equestria and we've always come on out okay, through thick and thin."

"I know." Does she agree, even softer in tone to growing disassociation, once more.

"And I think we owe it to the Sergeant." Rarity confesses, "Oh I feel just dreadful over what hurtful things I may have insinuated..."

"The Sergeant isn't part of the rescue regiment, I'm afraid."

"He isn't in trouble is he?" Fluttershy asks in sincere surprise.

"Greatly." Princess Luna internally sighs, "The Sergeant isn't part of the rescue regiment but he is part of the rescue mission." forced to push aside subtleties of guilt to confused expressions, "Of those lost to the Hayseed, were of his younger brother and sister."

"What?!" With even somewhat floored former stallion Captain giving verbal surprise to the notion.

"Did ya know that when you went and ordered him to abandon them!?" Applejack slams her front hooves atop the table.

"N-no!"

"Sergeant Clover has already returned to the Hayseed Swamp, alone, in attempt to mount rescue." Princess Luna lightly shakes her head in frustration, "Of such, but not all, are of complications mentioned earlier."

"What complications?" Princess Twilight asks with worried tone.

"Of more I shall not say, for against such things discretion must remain in forefront." Giving of light front hoof stomp, to hopefully reaffirm her declaration. "I am truly sorry. But please, do not persist."

She gives one last dip in muzzle with closed eyes before nightshade hue encompasses both herself and still huddled former Captain. With less theatrics in sound, she opens her eyes once more to that of more darkened bricked room.

"And of you." She returns her gaze, stern but not cruel, back to just below, "You have done of great misdeed not only to your fellow guardpony, but of your former title and very own name. Had I been of younger years, I would have already dealt onto you punishment befitting of such transgression." Giving of closer lean with subtle hush, "But I am no longer that young pony, am I?"

"Do you think of yourself as a good pony, Virtuous?" She tilts her head slightly.

"..." Answers but the silent stare of wary stallion.

"Do you think of yourself as a good pony, whom may have lost his way but still befitting of such consideration?"

"I...y-yes..."

"Then I do not envy you, in the years yet to come. For it is not I, nor Princess Celestia, or even your fellow pony whom you shall suffer of visage most severe, but of that looked upon only in an mirror. You have, without question, caused harm to your fellow pony and possibly aided in their demise through gluttonous pursuit of self promotion. Further, you have caused others to take wrongful share of blame."

"...I understand."

"No," She twists her neck to the side to give one eyed stare to that which she begins to leave behind of closing steel door, "you do not. Of official inquiry shall be made not only of yourself but also towards the banner that you served. Those whom have taken the oath, be it Captain or Princess, are always held to standards that must transcend even that of fairness."

"But I only did what was asked of me, Princess Luna!" Virtuous almost laments in his defense, "Go to the Hayseed Swamps, have the Sergeant return, it is urgent." given strength through greater isolation. "And to not please just one, but of seven?"

"You will have your chance to give say during the proceedings." Princess Luna turns about once past the door, even as several other ponies in royal barb of her own banner venture within, "Of such, you must make prior in official sworn statement, to the best of your ability."


Hayseed Swamp; Unknown - Evening

"Do you understand, why I sent you to the north?" The being of shimmering yellow scales almost mumbles towards ragged and wounded ensemble knelt before him, their knees wobbling against cold hard granite. Opting to straighten it's posture, long talons of relaxed open palm stretch for but an moment before closing in tight. "Do you understand, why I said to only keep ward against further incursion?"

"W-we had no choice, Hegan!" One canine, much to the pained scowls sent his way, raises his voice. "Two ponies attempted to flank us and we were forced to take them prisoner less the others discovered the bodies. Had we..."

"Had you listened you worthless mongrel you'd of never been seen!" Hegan elicits to taking of both feet, of noticeably higher statue even to that of heavily armored nearby guards, "Worse yet you let the ponies and creature have beneficial meeting!" to which he begins to move.

"It..it wanted them both!" The canine, along with that of it's peers, begin to wobble backwards in frightened attempt to incoming rage. "It killed any near the ones holding the ponies!" Lifting it's arms in defense, "We had no choice but to..." to words cut off by flesh cutting talons.

Hegan stands above that which begins to topple over, paws almost digging open that which already seals it's fate with shock and fear taking last hold on slowly steadying eyes. "...and if that is all you can do, then neither do I." The slow drift of glare already beginning to take hold.

"Hegan." With new voice giving unexpected pause to the bloody talons already lifting high into the air, "You're too rough, old friend."

Hegan begins to lower his arm, "Of such failure what other course would you have me take, Xyran? Forgive them? Perhaps even console them for having returned safe like the cowards that they are?" before giving of single talon point. "Mere words have no place in this!"

"Mere words, as you say, always have a place." Xyran, of not such thickness as Hegan and instead covered in thick grey fur, "Or do you forget that had you kept to yours none of this would even be of issue?" Walking to just behind those still on nerves end, "Remember?"

"Pah!" He in turn motions with his arm as if to wipe away annoyance, "It had already begun seeing through your deception. Or did you truly believe that you could get it to keep helping us if you kept showing sick pups more afraid of you than of it?" Turning away, "I think not."

"And how was I to know that the crystals in purest form were lethal?" Xyran lifts both paws adjacent to shoulders in mock gesture. "Just like how were you supposed to know how badly it would react to seeing one collapse on your impromptu visit for even more?

Hegan begins to pace back and forth, talons clasped behind his armored back. "I tell you. I tell you and I tell you. That thing has a stockpile hidden somewhere and if the ponies find out where." Giving towards Xyran renewed glare, "What do you plan to do about it?"

"Nothing." Does he answer with resolution in tone.

"Have you gone mad?!" Hegan tenses up with talons forward instead of behind. "It's finally anchored and you say do nothing?!"

"That would be your forte Hegan, not mine." Xyran turns halfway around as if to begin his leave, "If you wish to lure, then you need proper bait which we surely lack. But this situation might change that, if we're patient." Giving of his own glare before walking further away.

With low growl, Hegan continues his rigid glare as Xyran takes his leave from makeshift but worn throne room. Taking of his own short retreat, he waves with the back of his hand to knelt soldiers forcefully ushered away. Returning to his stone cut seating, his subtle nod to the darkened right brings forth another almost of his own in stature. "Use just enough to keep them under control."