• Published 10th Dec 2014
  • 2,734 Views, 148 Comments

Imperium et Imperator - Emperor Gerald I



Gerald Wellesley: historian, politician, imperialist, and monarchist, is transported to Equestria, where he is given a taste of absolute power. Gerald must decide between possessing the power he has always desired and his newfound friends.

  • ...
13
 148
 2,734

XII- Friendship and Falsehood

Gerald awoke the next day, feeling a combination of relief and guilt. He had succeeded in convincing one of the Equestrian monarchs that he should be able to keep his army, yet he had done so in a most foul manner. He really could not believe what he had done. He had used Luna, he really felt no more affection toward her than any of the other ponies, he really didn't have any friends here, with the possible exception of Rarity. Gerald wished that he had never come across that bloody army! Luna trusted him yes, but he did not really trust himself. Could someone who was willing to use the feelings of another to accomplish his own goals really be trusted not to simply use an army for his own benefit? Gerald cursed his foul luck, he shouldn't even be in this strange pony realm in the first place! Gerald threw on his cape and tricorn and left the inn, not really knowing where he was going.

Wanting to be left alone, Gerald cringed as an energetic pink pony bounced toward him. "Hey Gerald! It's your new BFF Pinkie Pie!"

"Good day... Pinky Pie."

Pinky Pie noted how Gerald's shoulders slumped, and that as he walked he was staring at the ground. Pinkie Pie made it her personal mission to cheer up her new friend Gerald. "Gerald, you look down today. Why not let your new friend Pinky Pie cheer you up?"

"Firstly Miss Pie, you and I are not friends, we are mere acquaintances. Secondly I do not require cheering up. I am quite happy already."

Pinky Pie felt as if she had been slapped. "N-not friends?" Her lower lip trembled and tears filled her eyes.

Gerald sighed, unless he wanted to make this little pony cry, which would only deepen his feeling of moral imperfection, he would have to tolerate her presence for the time being. "Miss Pie, I did not mean to offend you. It is just that we have only met once, quite briefly. How can you expect a friendship to be solidified that quickly?"

Pinky Pie did not understand exactly what Gerald was saying, but it sounded to her like he wanted to be her new BFF! "WOO HOO!" Pinky Pie cried, jumping in a circle around a very confused Gerald.

When he had watched the first episode of My Little Pony Gerald had found Pinky Pie's antics quite cute and funny. In person they were still cute, but quite embarrassing and strange as well. "Miss Pie, would you please calm down? We are in a public area!"

"I always jump around when Im in public!" Pinkie Pie cried happily, continuing to jump merrily about.

"Very well then." Gerald sighed.

"Hey newest BFF, do you wanna go play games with Rainbow Dash?"

"Not particu-"

"Of course you do!" Pinkie Pie grabbed Gerald by the hem of his cape and dragged him off in search of Rainbowdash. Gerald decided to follow along, he hadn't had anything important to do at any rate, aside from fret about the events of the past few days.

After a quick search Pinky Pie found Rainbow Dash in her usual location, just outside Ponyville, sleeping soundly upon a low-lying cloud. "Wake up sleepy head, Pinky Pie is here!"

Rainbow Dash rolled over, pulling the cloud over her head. "Come on Pinky, I just started my morning nap!"

"Come on Rainbow Dash! Gerald and I were really excited to play a game with you!"

"Alright, alright, just give me a minute!" Rainbow Dash dropped lazily from the cloud, gliding slowly to the ground.

"So whaddaya wanna do Rainbow Dash?"

"I don't know..." Rainbow Dash looked distractedly toward the clouds. "Hows about a... RACE!" Rainbowdash took off running back toward Ponyville, with Pinky Pie trailing behind her.

"Where are we racing too?" Pinky Pie asked Rainbowdash.

"The Golden Oak Library, we'll get Twilight to hang out with us!"

Gerald watched as the two ponies ran into the distance, taking no notice that he had not even taken a step. "You might as well follow them." Sighed Gerald to himself.


"Yeah!" Rainbow Dash slid to a halt in a cloud of dust just outside Golden Oak Library. "I win!"

A moment later Pinky Pie bounded past Rainbow Dash and touched the door with the tip of her hoof. "I win!" she looked down to Rainbow Dash. "Why did you stop there? The library is right in front of you!"

"I said we would race to the library, that doesn't mean we have to touch it."

"But you're not AT the library, you're right beside it." Pinky Pie pointed to the space between Rainbow Dash and the porch of the library.

Rainbow Dash suddenly realized, that she hadn't seen Gerald through the whole race! Had he fallen behind? Looking along the road Pinky Pie and her had taken she could see Gerald in the distance, walking at a leisurely pace toward the library. "Looks like Gerald didn't even try."

Pinky Pie too sighted Gerald's unmistakeable figure in the distance. "Maybe he doesn't like racing."

"No, I think he is just like Rarity, and doesn't want to get his 'pweety little outfit dirty.'" Rainbow Dash imitated Rarity's whiny voice. "Hey there slowpoke!" Rainbow Dash greeted Gerald when he finally arrived. "Did you give up as soon as you saw how fast I was?"

"Of course I gave up, right from the beginning." Gerald replied sarcastically.

"Don't give up Gerald, you're the fastest human I've ever met!" Pinkie Pie gave Gerald a sympathetic smile.

"Ummmm..... so what do you guys want?" Spike had been standing in the doorway, unnoticed, for the last few moments.

"We wanted Twilight to come out and play with us!" Pinkie Pie was once again jumping with excitement at the prospect of having yet another friend to play with.

"Got it Pinkie!"

Spike returned a short time later with Twilight close behind.

"Hello everypony! Spike said you would like to play some games?"

"That's right!" Pinky Pie and Rainbow Dash responded in unison.

After some discussion, the mares decided that they would get their other friends to join them in their fun. Within an hour all the mares (along with Gerald and Spike) had congregated in the park. "Gerald, since it is your first time getting together with everypony, why don't you decide what we are going to do?" Twilight suggested.

"Well, I really don't play in parks all that frequently." Gerald shrugged his shoulders. He was really not in the mood for games right now.

"Why don't we play a game of tag?" Spike spoke up from behind the others, waving his hands to gain some attention.

"You know what Spike, that sounds like a good idea!" Rainbow Dash gave Spike a congratulatory slap on the back.

"Awesome! NOT IT!" Spike broke into a run away from the other ponies. This elicited cries of "not it" from amongst the whole group until Gerald was the only one who had not spoken. "Looks like you're it Gerald!" Pinky Pie said as she dashed hastily away.

Gerald rolled his eyes and sighed. This was bloody childish. He started toward the running ponies at a walk.

"Come on Gerald, you'll have to go faster than that!" Rainbow Dash was literally running circles around him.

Gerald sighed again and sat down upon the ground. Rainbow Dash came over to him, a look of concern upon her face. "Gerald, are you alright?"

Gerald placed his arm around Rainbow Dash's neck. "I am quite fine Miss Dash, but unfortunately for you, you are now it. No tagbacks." Gerald walked slowly away. The watching ponies burst out in laughter seeing how Gerald had tricked Rainbow Dash.


After many hours of such antics Gerald was really beginning to forget about his problems. He really enjoyed playing tag, talking with Fluttershy about the different kinds of birds, and trying to judge who was the faster runner between Rainbow Dash and Applejack. It almost made him feel like a carefree child again! As the sun began to disappear beyond the horizon he, Rarity, and Twilight were having a most interesting discussion about the nature of magic.

"So it is not really a physical entity?" Gerald asked.

"Not really, its more like a... energy? So I guess it could be considered a physical entity." Twilight rubbed her forehoof against her chin, Gerald certainly asked some very interesting questions!

Gerald smiled widely. He was beginning to think that five years here wouldn't be so bad after all! These ponies were really quite kind, not to mention endlessly entertaining. He might even call them his friends. Gerald chuckled to himself, it was nice to be amongst friends. Gerald noticed her first, Princess Celestia walking across the park toward them. She was staring directly at Gerald and she did not look pleased. Gerald knew exactly what she was here for. He looked over to his new friends, who were just now noticing that their monarch was approaching. They all went to their knees. Gerald on the other hand remained standing.

"Gerald, there is something you and I must discuss. In private." Celestia's kind and caring tone was replaced with an icy coldness.

"Yes your highness." Gerald walked toward Celestia, knowing if he was to be punished, it was justified.

"Follow me sir." One of Celestia's royal guards pulled Gerald toward the Princess.

"W-whats going on Princess?" Twilight looked toward her mentor, wondering why she was treating her new friend like this.

"I cannot tell you right now Twilight." Celestia did not look away from Gerald to speak to Twilight, instead keeping him centred in her icy stare.

Gerald was lead away from his friends to the far corner of the park, where a group of royal guards formed a semicircle around them, facing the village. "Gerald, I believe you already know why I have come to speak to you."

"I do your highness."

"Do you know where the diamond is now Gerald?"

Gerald reached into his pocket and grabbed ahold of the gem. "Indeed I do, your highness."

"I must ask you to give it to me." Celestia held forth a large metal lockbox, lined with black silk with a small indent in the centre in which the diamond would perfectly fit.

"Stop!" Gerald looked away from Celestia to see that Twilight had attempted to get past the guards, but was now restrained by them.

"Princess, what has Gerald done?" Twilight was visibly agitated. The other mares and Spike were attempting to pull Twilight out of the guards grip.

Celestia closed her eyes. It looked to Gerald like she had simply fallen asleep! Suddenly her eyes flashed open. "Guards, allow my student and her friends to pass please." The guards immediately stood aside, allowing Twilight and her friends to pass through.

Twilight ran to Celestia, who gave her a warm hug as they met. "Princess!" Twilight was on the verge of tears. "What has Gerald done?"

Celestia looked at Twilight for a moment ,wondering if she would comprehend the evil of Gerald's actions. "Gerald has come across the Dark Army of Nightmare Moon, and claimed it for his own."

A collective gasp came from Twilight and her friends. "Gerald, is this true?" Rarity looked to him, a look of confusion and disbelief on her face.

Gerald, unable to speak, nodded.

"Gerald, now I must ask you to hand over the diamond." Celestia motioned toward the box she was suspending in front of him with her magic.

"I cannot. I know where the diamond is, but I do not have it." Gerald released his grip on the diamond, allowing it to fall back into his pocket. "You see my Princess, I only held the diamond for a mere moment before I went to assist Applejack's younger sister and her friends. I thought I had placed it within my backpack but it must have fallen out."

"You will lead us to where it is then Gerald."

"I fear I cannot my Princess, when I met the pony from the army in my dream he said he feared you. He said that if I told your highness where the diamond was, you would have it destroyed and kill him and his men. I made a promise your highness, I told him that if he took orders from no one except me I would not tell you where the diamond was. I was merely attempting to diffuse the situation. I did not want him and his men to die, nor did I want him and his men to serve some evil tyrant. I thus took it upon myself to take command of the army, as I will do nothing with it."

Celestia looked at Gerald, trying to use her thousand years of wisdom to determine if this human was indeed telling the truth. "I trust you Gerald." Pinky Pie stepped forward and clung to Gerald.

"I trust you as well dearie." Rarity moved to stand beside Gerald. One by one all the ponies made clear their trust in Gerald until only Twilight, Spike and Celestia remained.

Celestia looked to Twilight. "Well my faithful student, do you trust Gerald's word?"

"Yes." Twilight joined the ponies standing around Gerald.

"Why do you and your friends have such faith in Gerald?" Celestia asked her student.

Twilight looked slowly from Gerald and then back to Celestia. "Because he is my friend."

"Very well, if my faithful student and her friends, who represent the elements of harmony can find reason to trust your word I, Princess Celestia, trust you as well."

Gerald would have felt quite touched by this demonstration of affection and trust on the part of his new friends, had near everything he had just said not been a lie.

Author's Note:

Good day. I have not had one of these author's notes in a few chapters. We are really into a very interesting part of the story at this point. Thus I must ask you a couple of questions: 1. What do you think of Gerald now? 2. Do you like how the story is going? 3. Is there anything that could be done to improve this story?

Thank you for reading!

-Emperor Gerald I

Post Script: I think this shall be the last part of the "introductory" phase of the novel. Still introductory you ask? Indeed it tis. Now we shall see Gerald as a member of Equestrian society.