• Published 11th Dec 2014
  • 292 Views, 8 Comments

Lovely Life - BioQuillFiction



A Largely OC based Stardew Valley crossover fic I hope you all enjoy.

  • ...
3
 8
 292

Taking Action

It was late and I was still up. I kept looking through the papers Mom and Dad left me. There is quite the fortune in these papers, all of it is mine now. It's more bits than honestly I'll ever use. I could pay off the farm I'm on, and do all kinds of things with this money but… then what?

“All this money…and all these connection’s all of a sudden and I have absolutely no idea how to use it all…” I groaned, sifting through more papers.

The bits, hideout locations, something legal so I can blend into normal society… I've wanted a normal life for as long as I can remember… Why does that feel bad now?

Eventually I just put everything back into the folder and sat there on the floor. I need to clear my head.

Without a word I went outside, the moon was up and the sky was clear. I walked and walked til I was in the town proper. Looks so weird being this late and… is that… music?

Following the noise I came across an old looking building. The stone and wood it was made of was aged but standing strong, a sign hanging from slightly rusty chains read 'Stardew Tavern' in big golden letters. Through the windows the lights were on, music was playing and the spins of ponies inside talking was fairly clear.

“Gonna need a drink after all this nonsense…” I muttered, heading into the tavern and hoping it’ll at least get me some relaxation.

Opening the door, I was met by the thick scent of various alcohols, foods and the fair volumed music of a record player blasting away it's music carefree.

Walking inside-

"Hey Lovely." I turned, seeing Cloud Hopper trott up to me. "Surprised you're here."

“Oh, hey Cloud…and yeah, just found this place while I…was clearing my head." I said carefully. “What are you doing here?”

"I always come here. Well, at least as often as I can." He said, waving a hoof around. "The Stardew Tavern here is where everypony in town comes at least once a week to unwind, socialize and catch up." He said as I looked around, seeing various ponies… Griffons, a Minotaur and all kinds of creatures here. Huh. I had no idea the town was so… diverse. "So, here to eat, drink or just pass the time?"

“Yes.” I nodded. “Cause…I have a lot to think about still, and I’d rather not right now.”

"Heh, well then come along now." Hopper lead to to a seat at the bar table. Here I was greeted by a Zebra with a black and purple striped mane. "This here is Gargle. Owner of the tavern and resident Zebra."

"Half, actually." Gargle said with a smirk and chuckle. "Purple is not a color native to the Zebras." He explained. "So, what brings the new filly in town to my humble home of good food and better booze?"

“I need to stop thinking.” I sighed. “Too much is on my mind, and I’d like to stop.”

"I see. Ever had beer or liquor before?"

“Nope.” I shook my head.

"Alright then, something light to start you off with then." He said, rummaging under the bar for a second before pulling up a wooden mug with a fuzzy red drink in it.

I took it to my nose and sniffed. I smelled beer, I knew how it smelled, but also… lemon and tomato?

With a shugg I sipped it. The beer taste was there, blended with the tomatoes and lemon giving it a pleasant tang.

“Huh, that’s pretty good.” I nodded.

"Thanks. It's a special mix they make over in Nehico, makes the beer less strong, more flavorful and it's good for first time drinkers."

“Works for me.” I nodded, taking another swig of my flavorful drink. “Gonna be enjoying this for as long as I can…”

"I'll take it, you'll be wanting a tab as well?" Gargle asked with a smirk.

“Might as well.” I nodded. “Gonna be here for…a while.”

With a nod he walked off to the back and I sat there nursing my drink.

"So, any reason ya seem gloomier than a storm cloud?" Hopper asked from his seat next to me.

“Well…” I tried to think of how to spin this. “Just learned that my parents are…in a coma.” I said carefully, which might technically be true if they’re stuck in Stone for Celestia know’s how long. “So I’m still processing that…”

"Shit, how'd that happen?" Hopper asked.

“They…had an accident.” I answered slowly, and while that might be a bold faced lie, it at least goes well with the ‘their in a coma’ bit.

"Well, are they gonna wake up?"

“I wouldn’t have gotten their living will if it was going to be anytime soon.” I sighed.

Hopper for quiet for a while, before pulling me into a surprise hug. Wings and hooves wrapped around my body… woah… Pegasi wings are… really warm. "If ya need some company I'm more than happy to lend an ear or time." He said.

I was blushing a bit… this is the first time a Colt aside my dad has ever hugged me…

“Uh…thanks Hopper.” I stuttered a bit, nervous as shit about the hug but…just finding it so warm and comforting after all that crap.

When Hopper broke the big I was a little sad but didn't fight it. "Beer and some pretzels here, Gargle." Hopper said as the barkeep nodded, quickly bringing up another mug of pure beer from under the table and a plate of pretzels. "I can't imagine that… I know they ain't… gone like but…" He sighed, taking a drink of his own beer before speaking again. "I can't imagine if something like that happened to my parents. Heck I about cried when my sister left for school."

Sister?

“You…have a sister?” I asked curiously.

Hopper chuckled. "Yeah. She went up to Manehattan to study in a fancy school to become a doctor. Plans on coming back to town and working in the local hospital. Small town, not many big city medicines or specialists. She wanted to bring all that here. Name's Gummy Vitamin but everypony just calls her Vita. She's adopted like me but she's a unicorn."

"Huh…that's neat." I nodded. "Can't wait to meet her."

"It'll be a wait. Her next vacation don't start for another three months and she still has another year before she graduates." Hopper said, taking a swing of his beer and a bite of some pretzels. "I think you two would get along. Just stay on her good side. She's got a temper the likes of which dragon fire can't compete with." He said with a chuckle.

"I can imagine." I chuckled, taking a swing of my beer as well.

"So… what were they like? Your folk's? I remember you said they were overprotective and you were trying to get away from them but… you got good memories of them don't you?"

"Well…" I thought for a bit, trying to think of some happy memories. “Well…dad taught me how to play catch.” I shrugged, remembering that small bit and it was nice.

"Heh, that seems like a gold standard. What about your ma? Or… other pa?"

“Mom, and some memories with her…well, she taught me some tailoring, in case I ever ruined any of my dresses when we wanted to go out to a fancy dinner.”

"That's nice." Hopper smiled as we both took another drink. "Sometimes I used to wonder about my mother. Never knew her, but I wondered."

“I’m sorry to hear that.” I sighed.

Hopper shrugged. "I got over it. I was a baby when Dad and Pa adopted me and frankly they're all I ever knew. I have a good family, and I like to think that's what my birth mother wanted for me, something she probably couldn't give me herself."

“That’s fair.” I nodded. “Parents…always want to make sure their children are happy, no matter what.”

"So, pardon being nosy but… what did they leave ya?"

“Everything…” I sighed.

"Everything?"

“Everything they owned, all the money they saved in their will for me…until they get better, I own everything my immediate family own’s…”

"And I reckon given the way you're talkin… it's a lot?"

“More bit’s than I have any right to know how to use, a lot of supplies, and…workers.” I said carefully.

"Must have been some business." You have no idea… I thought as Hopper took another swig of his beer. I did the same. "Heck I barely know what to do with the bits Dad and Pa give me when working on the farm. Got any plans for your… inheritance?"

“Buck if I know…” I sighed out. “I could just buy the land outright, but then what else would I use it on?”

"Well, barns, animals, crops… refined goods." Hopper said with a shrug. "Honestly whatever you want on the land would be yours for having. Though frankly I think if I had that much money I'd probably just put it into the community and such."

“I mean, that would be good…but I don’t think that’s a good idea…” I said carefully.

"Why not? I know the mayor would be pleased as punch for the donations and the savings it would give to the town budget."

“I’ll probably still donate, don’t get me wrong.” I said honestly. “But…there’s a lot of things I need to take care of…”

"I guess you'll be needing a few days to settle the business then?"

“Yeah…I’ll be needing to settle a lot of business…” I sighed, not knowing what in the world I’m going to do with half the family given the current situation.

"I'll tell my folks. I'm sure for a family matter they'll be fine with you needing time off."

“I’m sure I can still work while dealing with that.” I said honestly. “I’d rather not let this get in the way of helping you all.”

"It's fine. Only folks more understanding about family aside from mine are probably the Apple Family." He chuckled. "We can probably give ya a week if it helps, plus If you have as many bits as you say," And then some… "Then you can probably just pay off the farm when ya come back and all's good."

“Yeah…that’ll probably be for the best.” I nodded.

The time passed, and Hopper and I just talked about anything and everything. I got home late and slept in til almost noon. I was so happy I normally wear Sunglasses… so this is what a hangover feels like? Glad Gargle gave me a light one all in all. Could be worse.

"Ugh…this blows…" I muttered in pain.

I got up and quickly stretched, waking up some before packing the papers into my saddle bags. Okay… guess It's time to head out…


"Right this way miss Days." The teller at the bank told me.

The train ride to Baltimare was a simple one, and from here I found the bank where the first… set of accounts mom and dad left me were.

I followed them to a large office where a rather fancy dressed pony sat behind a desk. I took a seat and once the teller that brought me left they spoke. "So, you're Lovely Days. Sole inheritor of the Baltimare Mafia family fortune?" They asked me.

I took a deep breath and composed myself. "And what if I am?"

"You need not worry. Your family, and now you, owns a hefty sum of the shares of this bank and played a fair part in it's prosperity. A few ghost accounts is the least I could offer as the 'official' owner of this bank." They said with a smile. "My name is Deposit Box. I must say, I had hoped this day wouldn't have come, least of all so soon."

"Neither did I…but a damn monster got to them…" I growled.

"Yes, well I am aware there are several other banks to which you need to visit today so I will keep this brief. As you and I know your parents left you with all legal ownership of these hidden accounts. While withdrawing all the bits they hold is ill advised I am giving you the Debit and Credit cards linked to them as well as an enchanted coin purse that will allow you instant access to your accounts funds in cash whenever you wish. There are several accounts each with four million bits each." If I was drinking water I'd have done a spit take. What came out was a mix between a cough and a wheeze. "Totaling twenty million bits in total and the legal account you also own are where your rights and such as this bank's shareholder deposit your funds for being a, well, shareholder, so a legal account of sixty thousand bits plus the monthly deposit of two thousand bits."

"That's…a whole lotta bits…" I said after getting my breathing under control. "So…that's cool…"

"Yes, seems you're reached the wealth most Canterlot Nobility take generations to achieve. But, that's besides the point." Deposit Box said as he gave me the two cards and the bits bag. "I also have the ones for the legal account." He added, handing me those. "That should be about it and, if I may, I am sorry this happened. Your family did bad things but they did just as much good. I knew your parents well and I am sorry."

"Yeah…" I sighed. "Thanks Deposit…means a lot…"

"Any time. If you ever need help financially, I'm willing to lend some help."

I doubt I ever will.

The rest of the banks I visited were basically the same. My parents might have been criminals but they did a lot of good. In total I visited ten banks, each with five hidden accounts with four million bits each so I have a total of two hundred million bits in the hidden funds and the other legal accounts I inherited from stocks, property and ECT funds gave me a total of nine hundred thousand bits or so with a total monthly income of twenty seven thousand bits a month…

More money than a single pony should have a right to own…

At this point my saddle bags were stuffed with debit and credit cards and bit bags enchanted to withdraw whatever I need or want in cash…

I was sitting in a diner now, trying to process the fact my parents actually had this much money…

"How in Celestia's massive teats did they manage all this money?" I muttered incredulously.

I groaned as I ate my meal before paying and giving a generous tip. With that done I headed out to the final place I needed to go to. As you can guess it's one of the Safehouses. The documents listed them as being all over Equestria but there was one in Baltimare.

Arriving at the address I was greeted by a strip mall. the stores were varied and all fairly busy.

"You Lovely Days?" A mare, pink coat and brown mane asked as she walked up next to me.

"Yes…" I said carefully. "And who are you?"

"Follow me." She said. Cautiously I followed the strange mare around back where, using her magic, levitated over a trash can hiding a cellar door. Once it was opened and she lead me down and closing the way behind her I was greeted by a surprise hug. "Oh it's so good to see you're alright, I was so worried."

"Well…hugs are always a welcome surprise." I chuckled.

"Oh, right, you probably don't recognize me." She said, taking a step back. Her horn lit up and in a flash of magic I was looking at a slightly older mare with a light green coat and orange mane… Hayfields! She was my nanny as a filly and my maid when I got older. She took care of me and gave me my education.

"Hayfield!" I shouted in glee, hugging my nanny happily. "I missed you so much!"

"There there." She said, patting my back gently. "It warms my heart to see you well, mistress."

"I…was so scared it got you too…" I said, so thankful the rat bastard didn't get her at least.

"No dear, the Cops may have raided the manor but I was out gathering ingredients."

“No…not them.” I shook my head. “The…the one that got the cops on mom and dad…”

"The head detective?" Right… she wouldn't know… and probably can't know… ugh, how do I explain this without… I'll have to bring her to the valley for her to see it to believe it.

“H-hey…how about…you come with me to visit the town I’m staying at.” I offered. “Just…to get away from all this for a bit, it’s a nice little farming village.”

"That sounds fantastic, and I did promise your parents I'd look after you. But there are a few things here we should take as well."

“I already went to all the banks…what else is there?” I inquired.

"A few personal items I collected once the police vacated." She said, using her magic to bring over several photo albums, my collection of Monsters of Equestria trading cards, and the OnO game mom, dad and I would play.

“Oh my Luna, you are the best!” I said happily.

"I live to ensure you're happy and satisfied, mistress. So, where will we be going exactly?"

“The town’s called Stardrop, and it’s a really nice place with a lot of friendly people.”

"Sounds relaxing. Well then, let's be off." She said, lighting her horn up and readorning that disguise.

We got back to Stardrop Town late and Guff seemed asleep, so I just walked myself and Hayfield inside my small little home. "So, this land is yours?" Hayfield asked.

“Well, the land that came with this house, yes.” I nodded. “There’s…a lot to unpack with what I’ve come to learn here…this place is really weird to say the least.”

"Hm, well it will be interesting to be living on a farm. By the way, why is there an… encampment on the property?"

“Oh, that’s probably Guff’s encampment, he’s a…very old griffon that can help me tell you half of the weirdness of this town.”

"Hm, how did you meet?"

“I saw him watching me from the tree’s over there.” I said, pointing a hoof to the tree line. “He was…very fast and honestly scared me for a bit…but we met and talked and he’s a kind old Griffon…he’s also really, really big.”

"Big?" She asked me with a raised brow.

“Like, physically big.” I said. “He’s about the size…if not slightly bigger than one of the farmhands, which is an earth pony stallion.” I answered.

"I see. I didn't think Griffins got that big. Well, in any case it's a charming little home mistress. I hope tomorrow I can meet some of these ponies and creatures and thank them for looking after you."

“Yeah…I’m sure you’ll love to meet everyone here.” I said honestly.

The next morning came and I woke up to the scent of… eggs and toast? Looking up, the table had a plate of eggs and jam covered toast. Heh. I guess Hayfield gets up earlier than me.

I ate then headed outside where I saw Hayfields and Guff talking. Guff was chopping trees and Hayfield was using her magic to pull weeds and cut tall grass.

“Glad to see you two are getting along well…” I yawned.

"Good morning mistress." Hayfield greeted me with a nod.

"Morning miss Days." Guff said. "Miss Hayfield and I were just talking, sharing stories."

“Hopefully it wasn’t anything embarrassing on my end…” I brought up.

"No." Guff said with a chuckle.

"Nothing of importance my little lumberjack." Hayfield added with a smirk.

I huffed. “What did you two talk about?”

"I was just informing miss Hayfield here of how you've been since arriving here in town."

“Well…that’s fine.” I nodded. “But again, glad to see you two are getting along well.”

"Yes, I will admit I had my reservation about Guff here but he is quite the gentleman." Hayfield said.

"You flatter me." Guff said as he chopped another tree down. "Once all the trees are down all that will be left are the rocks, old trunks and the few boulders around."

“That’s good.” I nodded. “I’ll get the pick to help with the rock’s and boulders.” I said, heading back to get the pick to get rid of the pesky rocks.

Once I gave Guff the pickaxe I headed off to find Copper Pot and Bricks. I had with me one of those coin purses and was ready to pay off the land.

Thankfully I found Bricks. He was surprised to see me back so soon but I told him I was ready to pay it off.

"Well, we were only gonna charge you/have you work til you paid off the lands worth when Melody first bought it. So, given how much you've put in already… it's about six thousand bits left. Are you sure you can pay that off already?"

"And then some." I said while pulling out my magic coin purse and grabbing a bag, then just dumping six thousand bits out of it.

The look on Brick's face was… honestly priceless.

Once he got his jaw off the floor and managed to compose himself he just smiled and wished me luck on the farm, and that I am welcome to visit at any time.

With that done I decided to try and actually start that farm… what should I grow?

"Hmm…" I hummed, checking the date to see what I should probably grow now or plan on growing the next harvest cycle.

It was already late spring. Best to find some summer crops. Now… what would be a good summer crop? This is my first time so maybe focus on one thing for now…

I was in the general store. Thankfully seed packets for summer were here… hm, well, maybe… radishes? They are on sale. I picked up four packs of them and headed to the counter.

"Four radish packets." I said, starting to dig into my bag to get the bits.

"That's thirty two… say, you're the new mare in town right? I saw ya the other day with Hopper at the tavern." The clerk asked.

"Yes I am." I nodded. "And thirty two bits?"

"Oh, yes.. I'm Mini Mart. Glad to meet you finally."

“Nice to meet you Mini.” I nodded, putting down the thirty two bits. “But I didn’t do…anything too weird last night right?”

"No, but I will admit you're the first filly to ever keep Hopper's attention that long." He chuckled, adjusting his glasses. Getting a better look at the stallion, I noticed his light brown mane was in a bowl cut, a purple coat and green eyes behind his rather thick glasses. "Don't think even my daughter has ever kept his attention that long. Heh, then again they grew up together. Probably sees her more like a sister."

“Well, glad to know I’m an attention grabber.” I chuckled. “But…it was a well needed talk for me after all the crap I had to go through.”

"Given how sour ya looked, I suppose. Well, if ya need seeds, fertilizer or specialty backpacks, just let me know. I sell a little bit of everything."

“Thanks.” I nodded with a smile. “Fully paid off the farm so I thought of starting to work it ya know?”

"Seriously? That was fast. Say, mind if I ask ya something?"

"Ask away." I said politely.

"Well, as you can guess majority of the town gets their supplies either from my shop or Barnyard Bargains. Now I have a healthy rivalry with them, the manager Gold Tooth Rich is a nice Colt, but I really wish I had something extra to sell. They already sell lots of stuff, mainly processed and electronic goods, but I was wondering if you could manage to have that farm of yours make crops to turn into processed or refined goods, like jams, mayo, cheese, wine. Brick's and Copper's farm makes a few things but nothing that can help compete with Bargains. Plus, I know aside from the general towns folks, some of the restaurants here will be happy to not have to import those items. Saves them money and all."

"Sure." I nodded. "Happy to help Mini."

"Thanks. I know it's asking a lot and it will take some time to develop, just, when you do just let me know. I'll talk to the others and let them know the news."

"It's alright." I said simply. "Was gonna have to start sometime, and if it helps the people in this town, then I'll happily do it."

With that done I went back to the farm. Once back I grabbed the hoe and got to work… damn dirty mind…

The instructions were simple. Plant one packet in a one foot by one foot square of space, a single til. Remove any clay, rocks, or debris from the soil before hoof- What the heck?

My first and only needed strike on the soil, the hoe hit something. Pulling it back, expecting stone … instead I pull up a dirty, but still good condition… wooden chicken statue… the heck?

“Uh…why is there a wooden chicken statue here?” I asked in confusion.

"Oh, I haven't seen one of these in a while." Guff said as he walked over, picking up and using a wing to dust it off. "These things are all over the Valley. Remnant of the Three Tribes when they'd wander around in ever moving nomadic herds. You can find stuff like that all the time around here. Melody found a lot of these and usually sold them. She kept one for decoration."

“That’s…weird.” I frowned. “Alright, I shouldn’t have found this on my first hit…plus…how is this even here if she found a lot of them?”

"They're all over the place. Old and historic, sure but you can find these things all over Equestria. Earth Pony carvings, their magic makes the wood last basically forever. But as for why you found one. Personally I think some rather juvenile Junimos enjoy planting things like this all over the place to mess with creatures."

"Junimos?" Heyfield asked as she walked over.

“Ah, so about that.” I started. “It’s…weird, and I still barely understand it, but Juminos are nature spirit’s, been around for longer than…probably everyone.” I said honestly.

"Hm, I don't think I've ever heard of them."

"They are not well known but they are most prominent in the Valley. Here this will help." Guff said, reaching into his saddle bags and using that dust stuff on her. After she coughed, rubbed her eyes and blinked a few times she spotted my and Guff's Junimos floating around.

"My… stars, they're adorable!"

“Yes, yes they are.” I chuckled, lightly patting my Jumino happily.

"And these little things are all around the valley?"

"The world, but they have a larger presence in The Valley than other places. They are good and kind, playful spirits of nature and magic." Guff informed.

“Yes, Jumino’s are friendly, happy, and like to help…but then…” I frowned. “There are…others.”

"Others?" Hayfield asked.

"With good there is always evil. Some years back several rather violent and vial dark spirits escaped the spirit realm into ours. Some have minimal influence on the physical world but some have greater influence, especially the more negativity they absorb." Guff informed.

“And one of those rat bastards…is the one that got to mom and dad…” I sighed.

"Wh-what?" Hayfield asked. "How?"

"If it is the one I am thinking, I believe his abilities lie in subconscious thought manipulation. He can effect creatures minds on a subconscious level. Like subliminal messages." Guff said.

"I… I see… Mr. Guff. May I speak to Lovey Days alone for a moment?" Guff simply nodded and went back to chopping down the trees.

“That’s what I meant when I said ‘it got you to’...” I sighed.

"Lovely… how dangerous are these spirits?"

“The only evil spirit I’ve seen…well, currently it was a giant fire snake of rage…that I uh…threatened…” I admitted sheepishly. “But how dangerous? Well…probably insanely considering it burned a part of the Juminos Tree and is keeping it burned and scarred…”

"I see… heh. You are a lot like your mother. Threatening someone stronger, bigger and more dangerous than yourself. That's how she met your father, you know." Hayfield chuckled.

“Really now?” I asked in honest surprise.

"Oh yes. See, back before she met him she and I were roommates and friends. One night we went out to the clubs and she was fairly drunk and angry. Her ex broke things off after he had been with another mare for a full year. So, drunk and mad she's going on a rant and when your father, who was young and not yet in Charge of your families… less than ethical business, was working as guard and protection for the club.

"He asked her to leave, and most ponies knew who he was so they left when told. They were afraid of him and rightfully so. She tossed her drink in his face. He asked again, she threw her cup at his muzzle. He touched her to pull her out, she upper cut him into a backflip." Hayfield chuckled.

“Yeah…that sounds like mom alright.” I chuckled.

"Yes, well at the time I was panicking over whether I was going to have to identify her body at the morgue in a few days. But after they fought, yes she and your father properly turned that club into a western bar brawl, they got to talking and he offered her a job as one of the guards. He respected that even if intoxicated she could slug him with the force of a proper earth pony. Even after that they got into a few physical fights, but that fighting was always playful… then a tad… too playful. I myself don't know when exactly they became a couple but two years later they were wed and a little over a year later you were born. Oh, you should have seen her. Doctors wanted to keep you for observation, study and such… she promptly showed that hospital staff where they could shove their research and studies in the most physical way she could express."

“Don’t piss off an angry mother just because her daughter has special eyes.” I chuckled. “Still…really sucks though…”

"Yes well it was after that incident they also decided to be better ponies. For you. Your father and mother are far from clean. They have more blood on their hooves that all the villains Princess Twilight fought combined and yet… they didn't want you to look at them as monsters. That was their biggest fear honestly. While they were still criminals they began to do good. Budgets for secret hospitals, schools and food donations and bread lines for the poor souls in the slums they ruled over. All stolen goods but put to good use. A good cause."

“Becoming parents made them turn into Robin Hood?” I asked. “Huh…that’s neat…doubt it would hold up in any court of law but still good to know that they tried to do good…”

"They did good by their family. By you and by the ponies they oversaw in the slums that worked for them. Anyone who dared harm one of theirs was met by swift and brutal vigilante justice. Now, I know they don't want you to take over and rule their former criminal empire… but perhaps those poor souls looking for purpose now that they are gone can put their skills to use in a different field."

“Well…I have a massive bone to pick with the snake for taking away my parents…maybe I can get some help from them to deal with this crap?” I wondered. “Maybe get a lot to help with farm work and all that…hmm.”

"It will take a lot of pony power to run a farm. Plus if these spirits are that dangerous then having dangerous help is just protection from the enemy. Plus it seems like this town lacks a proper Guard or Police force. I imagine they'd find it enjoyable to be on the other end of the law for a change."

“Would certainly be a change that’s for sure.” I nodded. “But…I’d have to ask around town, cause I can’t just suddenly call in like…I don’t know, two dozen ponies minimum and have them all suddenly show up here out of nowhere.”

"A hundred and sixty. Not including those working legal jobs who your parents gave anonymous donations to." She explained. "Though I doubt many of them are free. A lot of them were at your family manor when the cops and guard showed up."

“Crap…” I sighed. “So…I’m gonna have to make some very important calls soon…and hope that not everyone was captured…”

"I believe I can take care of things on that end. I did watch your parents work often. I believe I know who exactly to contact for this. All I shall need is a telephone."

“Which I thankfully have.” I nodded. “It’s inside on the table, it’s a little old fashioned but it works great.”

"Perfect."


The next few days went by fairly simply. Guff, with Hayfield's help, finally cleared out the last of the weeds, rocks, and trees. I was left with a massive amount of wood, stone, plant fibers and tree seeds, wild seeds, and some sap which Guff was collecting in jars.

I had to admit, actually seeing the whole property was… wow. It was huge! There was a second, massive pond I wasn't able to see before, a cave in some cliffside, a ruined greenhouse it seemed, and a small stone shrine kept in excellent condition. There was space for four candles and offerings on a table made from carved stone as well. On the stone was engraved the image of the mare who owned this place before me… Melody. She looked like how I knew her. Younger.

Now that all this was clear I began to wonder how best to use this land…

Knock. Knock. Knock.

Huh. Wasn't expecting visitors?

"That would be my contacts." Hayfield said.

“Well, they came a lot faster than I thought. “I said, walking over to the front door and looking through the peephole to see who they were.

I wasn't sure what to expect but what I saw through the peephole was definitely not what I was expecting. They were an elderly couple. A mare and a stallion well into their twilight years. Still, despite their age they held themselves up strong and well. Especially the stallion, as if to spite time and his age for trying to make him appear febal and weaker.

I opened the door. "Hello." I nodded. "Nice to meet you, you must be Hayfields contacts."

"Oh look at you." The mare said. Smiling with pure joy. "You've gotten so big since we last saw you Lovely."

"Hard to believe that little newborn is now a grown mare standing before my eyes." The stallion said with a smile.

"It's nice to meet you both." I smiled, wondering if they were also under a disguise or if I just had a hard time remembering with all the weird nonsense going on right now.

"I don't expect you to remember us sweetie, last time we saw you, you were just a newborn and your mother… protected you. I'm Check Book and this is my husband Crowbar. We're your grandparents."

I blinked in shock. “Wha…but…” I looked between the two incredulously. “Why…why did I never get to see you two?”

"Well ya see it's mostly my fault. Back when I ran the family I often personally raided and or stole from the Royal Guard. Bounty on my head still sitting on a nice four million bits." Grandpa crowbar said. "So when you're grandmother and I stepped down, put your father in charge we went into hiding in a nice little Zebra village."

"It's a lovely place." Grandma Check Book said.

“Good to know.” I nodded. “So…you already heard the news?”

"Yes, and if it weren't for the heart medication my doctor has me on I'd probably have had a heart attack." Grandpa said.

“And that’s something none of us need to happen at the moment.” I said honestly. “So…I really need your help…”

"Hayfield told us everything." Grandma said. "Believe it or not this isn't our first tango with harmful spirits."

"Back in my day my rivals used dark magic and spirits to attack me. Part of why we retired to a zebra village. They know spirits like princess Twilight knows magic." Grandpa said.

“Which will help us immensely.” I sighed happily. “Well, come on in and make yourselves comfortable…I have a lot to talk to you about from my point of view.”

Over the next few hours I spent it telling my grandparents everything that happened. From my run away to my time here, the Junimos and the seven evil spirits that escaped their world to ours.

"From how you describe them, and the damage they caused, it sounds like they are High Spirits. That won't be easy to deal with." Grandpa said.

“So where do we even start with all of this?” I inquired.

"Well, for starters it depends on what you want to do with the Spirit. Do you want to trap it, banish it, or kill it?"

“It locked away my parents, and threatened to ruin my new life…so I threatened it back and called it a bitch so…you can probably guess what I want to do to that thing.”

"Kill it is, and it won't be easy. There are very few things in the physical world that can harm a spirit. And the stronger they are the less they are hurt by these things. For a High Spirit, the only thing that can hurt them is a weapon made from a mix of special magical ores and gems. But it will only hurt it, not kill it. To kill it you'd have to somehow travel with it back into the spirit realm and land the killing blow there."

“And my parents didn’t raise no coward…though they mostly were overprotective of me…”

"I know a few ponies that can help ya if you want. But given that Griffon I saw in your yard, he'd probably be your best bet for a teacher."

“And I’m suddenly regretting my life choices.” I said nervously, thinking about how horrible Guff’s training might be if he was my teacher for fighting spirits.

"You got your mother's temper and your father's heart. I think you'll be fine, and you won't be alone."

“Yeah…since I got here, everyone’s been very welcoming and friendly with me.”

"So, what are your plans for the farm here sweetie?" Grandma asked.

“Gonna try to farm I suppose.” I shrugged. “Not sure how well it’ll work…but hard work and determination can solve anything.”

"Well, is there anything you'd like to have it focus on?" Hayfield asked.

“Well…I did promise to help out Mini Mart sell Refined Foods.” I said honestly.

"Well that sounds like a challenge, but it will just take some time." Grandma said.

"Perhaps these Junimos spirits you see can give you some assistance? The Zebra's back in the village have spoken of similar nature spirits giving aid to those who offer them the right tributs." Grandpa asked.

I thought back to the book and the Junimo Tree… maybe there are other tablets like that around? Would be extremely helpful.

“Well…I’ll have to talk to some important people then.” I said honestly.

"You do what you have to, sweetheart." Grandpa told me with a smile. "Your grandmother and I will get a place here in town so we can stay close to you and help you with whatever you need."

“Thank you.” I nodded. “It means a lot to get your help.”

I decided after this to head to the Junimo Tree. I know there are other things on that Tablet and hopefully if I fix the whole place up something will happen.

It has been a while since I've been here and it's still upsetting. Only the pathway here is nice, everything else is in bad shape. Walking inside I spotted the tablet. Alright, thanks to Flurs I can now read this tablet so next branch… fix the outside area around the tree. Needs ten flowers of any kind, fertilizer, ten packs of grass seeds, and two apples. Huh. Okay so I can probably grow or find those flowers easy. Can definitely buy the fertilizer and grass seeds. Same with the apples I guess.

“Alright…this is a lot easier than I thought…” I hummed.

I headed off to find the items. Thankfully shops were still open. The flowers I found easily along the road, fertilizer and grass seeds were cheap at Mini Marts store. I actually went to Copper and Brick's farm and bought two apples from them.

Now to place these things onto the slab and let the Junimos work their magic.

"Alright…here's step one to helping solve all these problems…" I muttered.

Placing the last of the items onto it, the slab seemingly absorbing them via magic, I decided to check outside and… damn!

The outside area was… amazing. The ground was lush and grass covered, flowers grew where once burned rocks and ash, and two tall apple trees stood on each side of the entrance into the tree itself, ripe red apples already ready to pick.

Junimo magic is scary fast…

"Well then..." I muttered. "Didn't expect you all to work this fast…"

I smiled as I looked around, seeing all the green. All that's really left is the tree itself I think?

I walked back into the tree and looked at the slab, only to see a big present box again. Huh, I forgot they reward me with stuff.

"Thank you." I smiled, as I gently opened up the present box to see what I got.

Inside the box were ten small iron sprinklers. Huh, well this will come in handy.

"Gonna need to learn where to space these things…" I muttered.

I put them away in my saddle bags and then checked the slab again. Two things left. One to restore the tree itself and the last one to restore the small hut. Right, there is a hut in here in the afterlife inside the tree itself.

Let's see, to fix the tree I need… two bundles of fifty logs, a bundle of fifty plant fibers, five gold bars and… twenty crystals? Huh… well that's different?

“Okay…so the plant fibers and log’s I should have because…I don’t have the gold…yet…” I rolled my eyes. “And the crystals? Hmm…does it need to be specific crystal’s or any?”

It doesn't seem to specify… oh, yeah it does. Crystal Empire Quarry Crystals… I'll have to go to the Crystal Empire… shhhhhhiiiiiiit!


"We'll look after the farm til you're back." Grandma said.

"We'll see about expanding the projects you want started." Grandpa said.

"And I will head back to Baltimare and see if I can't find other former employees of your parents willing to help in this endeavor." Hayfield said.

I guess it's just me and Guff heading to the empire now. Surprisingly he's been there and knows where the Crystal Quarry is so…

“Thank you.” I smiled. “It means a lot to hear you’ll hold down the fort while I’m…stuck trying to hide from either Cadence or many other people…”

"Just keep your glasses on and Guff at your side. I know a respectable and well trained individual when I see them." Grandpa said.

"You flatter me sir." Guff said. "Come now miss Days, we have a train to catch."

“Right.” I nodded. “We’ll be off.” I gave Grandma, Grandpa and Hayfield another quick hug. “Hopefully we won’t be too long.”

(One Four Day Train Ride Later)

Finally!

I could not get out of that train fast enough. Four days of a small little personal cart, rather bland train food, a newfound sense of claustrophobia in tow I happily put my hooves onto the crystal ground and stretched.

"I am four times your size and did not get as bad as you." Guff said as he exited the train with his and my saddle bags.

“Shush you.” I said. “Let me have this.”

Once I had my stretch and a deep breath I happily followed Guff along the road. "The Crystal Quarry is towards the north east end of the Empire. They are very magically potent and as such attract all sorts of magical beasts."

Yay… more dungeon monsters…

“Hooray…” I said, noncommittal to what’s about to happen. “More monsters…”

"Last I remember they were crystal lizards, bugs and I think a golem?" Guff said as he rubbed under his beak with thought. "They might have been cleared out since the last time I was here, it was a while ago."

“And how long is ‘a while ago’?” I frowned. “Cause the Crystal Empire has been gone for a thousand years from what I heard and has only been back for… thirty or so.”

"Let's see… it was… not long after Amore took the throne…"

Amore… isn't that the Princess who ruled before Sombra took over and enslaved the place? Didn't she rule for like… for hundreds of years?! Before Sombra! Which happened a thousand years ago?!?

“How old are you!?!” I asked incredulously, trying to wrap my head around how old this griffon really is.

He pinched my muzzle with two of his talons. "Please, miss Days, you will make a scene." He said. He then let go. "I suppose it is only fair, I tell but when we are in the Quarry. It is not a story I want curious ears to hear."

“I…suppose that’s fair…” I nodded. “Let’s…just get to the quarry.”

We reached the Crystal Quarry's entrance, the whole place was gated in thick metal and stone with a large locked door blocking entrance. Guff walked up and picked the doors open, audibly breaking the built-in lock as the heavy metal doors swung open slowly with a small screech of metal.

We then began walking down. "So, before I start this story, are there any questions you want to know immediately or no?" Guff asked me as we walked down the slope going deep into the earth.

“Would any of my questions be answered by your story?” I inquired.

"Some." He shrugged.

“Does it answer how you became immortal?” I asked.

"Nope." He stated.

“So…how did you become immortal?” I asked.

"I have no idea." He said, that statement nearly made me fall over. "All I know is that in the beginning I woke up as I am, only my name, language and some basic knowledge in my head and that's it. No past or history to speak of. Either I don't remember it or I never had it."

“Uh…and when you say ‘in the beginning’...do you mean ‘when you were born’ or…when our world started?” I asked nervously.

"When I woke up." He stated. "I told you I can't remember my past or even if I had one. All I know is that I woke up a long time ago as I am now, save the scars, in what is now called The Badlands. Course back then it was quite a lovely tropical forest."

I stared at Guff, trying to think of when the Badlands were even discovered. “And uh…how long ago was that?”

"If I were to wager a guess… maybe… six hundred thousand years ago?"

I stared at Guff, my right eye twitching. “So unless you're some weird Jumino made manifest from the rage of an entire lush jungle being turned into a giant ass desert, I have absolutely no idea what to say.”

"No, the Badlands didn't become a desert till much later. Frankly I doubt I'm a Junimo either because I can't see them normally. I need that special powder. All I do know is that I didn't wake up alone. There were others too."

“Others? Like your siblings or something?”

"Yes, but they weren't Griffin's. There was a lot of us. Some I admit I have forgotten but others I remember. Very few of us were the same species, really the only ones that were basically the same race was Tia, Lulu and Pink. Or, as you know them Celestia, Luna and Amore."

My brain froze in place…

I could…honestly only stare at him, my mouth moving like a fish out of water as I tried to form a single sentence…”WHAT!?!”

"Course Lulu and Tia looked different back then. Tia was white and pink and an earth pony and Lulu was just two shades of blue and a Pegasus." He added. "They didn't become Alicorns until… what, almost thirty thousand years ago I think? Save Pink, she stayed a unicorn. Heights freaked her out."

“So uh…” I gulped. “Celestia represents the Sun…Luna the Moon…and Amore is the mother of Cadence if this rapid train of logic is going…what do you embody?”

"Fuck if I know and that is not true." Guff said. "Back then the Sun and Moon moved on their own, and how would Cadence be Amore's daughter? She was into mare's and was turned to stone and shattered a long time ago… granted I did find her pieces, put her together and reversed the petrification but she's been dating a nice Dragoness since then."

“I immediately assumed Amore was Cadence’s mother either because of the same color scheme I can think of just on naming scheme alone, Cadence’s real name being ‘Mi Amore Cadenza’, or the fact that she’s an Alicorn and most don’t really know where she came from?” I brought up. “Sweet Celestia this is…all way too much…” I rubbed my temple. “But at least Amore is having a nice life with a nice dragoness…”

"Yes, she and smog are a cute couple. As for the name, eh. It happens. But Celestia and Luna representing the sun and moon? No, they just took over moving them when Discord appeared and swapped the locations of the planets in space. Gravity was heavily broken for a while and they took over moving them less the planet and moon have crashed into the sun long ago."

“Oh…that’s…that’s not good at all.” I blinked in surprise.

"Yes, well, that's something Lulu and Tia left out. Anyway, we all woke up in that jungle and over time we just went out and explored the world. I only ever really kept tabs on Tia, Lulu, Pink and Pearl."

“Pearl?” I inquired. “Who’s Pearl?”

"She's a dragon. Most know her as Bahumat."

“A-as in…the God of Dragons?” I asked weakly.

"So they call her. We just called her Pearl because her teeth were really shiny like them. As were her scales. In direct sunlight she was quite blinding. She didn't like that most dragons mistook her for a male though so she lives far south with some of our siblings."

“Uh…huh…” I said. “Jeez…didn’t really expect all of this…”

"Hence why we don't tell our stories. Frankly most that have heard it start worshiping us and that's just awkward."

"I mean…the princesses are already worshipped…" I muttered.

"Something they actively protest. She and Lulu eventually just settled on it being fine so long as there are no established churches or worship practices. Hence why all our siblings are in hiding. We all just wanna do our own thing and it's hard to have a life when the entire mortal population of your species is worshiping or following you around like a cat does raw fish." Guff said as we arrived at the Quarry's bottom. A huge crystal salamander immediately charged us… and Guff swatted it with a claw, sending it crashing and shattering into the nearby wall.

"Uh…" I muttered in awe at the raw power he just demonstrated. "Damn…"

"The crystals we need should be around here. Just keep an eye out for fairly large stones. They will most likely be within a geode."

"Uh…right." I said, trying to look around quickly for what we need.

We searched around for a while. Guff casually flicking large crystal monsters aside like they were an annoyance. Thankfully I began finding the geode stones we needed and I ended up with a hundred and thirty harmony crystals.

Now to leave and take another four day long train ride home… yay…

"Why must I suffer like this?" I whined.

"Because while flight would be faster the ever present snow of the frozen north makes such luxuries difficult." Guff said as we exited the gates and closed them behind us. As we walked down the streets I decided to stop by some shops. I'll be damned if I don't find something to occupy myself with while on that train ride back. And snacks. Train food is terrible.

"I know, but I didn't know long train rides sucked…"

"Well, while we are here I might as well see how much has changed since it returned. I imagine Pink would enjoy a souvenir or two." Guff said.

“Maybe.” I shrugged. “While you’re off…I’m going to grab a whole lotta things to make it less boring.” I said, heading off to get all the things I need to endure that pain.

With that Guff and I went to shop on our own. My first stop was a bookstore. Hmm… what to pick? I hear the Daring Doo series is a classic. There's also Myths, Fables and Legends of Old, The Friendship Diary of the Elements of Harmony, The Elements of Harmony a Reference Guide, Unicorn Magic and Basic Spellcraft, Great and Powerful, the Autobiography of Trixie Lulamoon, The Power Ponies Graphic Novel Collection; books 1-50. Hmm, lot of selection at least.

“Hmm…” I hummed, deciding to grab Myth’s, the Power Ponies Graphic Novel Collection, and might as well get the Friendship Diary to see what nonsense they had to deal with in case it might come bite me for some reason.

I placed the books on my back and continued browsing. Hm, Survival tips and crafting bare minimum 101? I picked the book up and flipped through it-

Vzzt.

What the? I felt something vibrate in my saddle bags. Looking inside I saw the Book was buzzing lightly. Odd…

Opening it I saw a new chapter… Survival and Crafting bare minimum 101… did… did it just copy that book?!

I flipped through the magic book and the original. The whole of the magic books chapter was the entirety of that book… and somehow wasn't any thicker?

Confused, I picked up one of the other books I chose and held it to it… nothing. Huh, maybe it only works with knowledge retaining to making things or nature?

“Uh…huh.” I started, searching for some other books to test that theory.

I found one. Guarding 101. Basic plant care and tips plus natural fertilizer and compost methods. Holding the magic book up to it, it buzzed and looked… New chapter… I grinned, making sure nopony was looking and seeing that the sales pony was behind the desk taking a nap. I passed the magic book across every self help, DIY, Crafts and ECT book I could find. It gives light buzzes as its crazy magic copies them all.

I flipped through all the new info in it- Unicorn Magic and Basic Spellcraft? Why did that copy?

“Well…no skin off my hooves I guess…” I muttered, always ready for more thing’s to keep me interested…hmm, I wonder if it could work on Pegasi stuff?

Turns out, it does! Once I had it copy every magic and flight, ECT book it could copy I walked up to the sleeping sales pony, pressing the bell and waking them. "Hm, wha? Oh, hello. Must have dozed off." They said with a yawn. "Will these be all?" She asked as she looked the three books over.

“Yes please.” I nodded.

"Alright that's one two three and… alright that'll be fifteen bits." They asked as I pulled the coins out onto the table. "Thank you for the business."

“Have a nice day.” I nodded with a smile to the cashier before heading out.

With that done I window shopped along the other stores before I found myself in an antique shop. There wasn't much interest save… it was a painting of a hall of doors. The sticker read the title as 'Perspective of The Dream Walker' and priced it at two bits. What really got my attention though was that one door had a mark… Melody's mark.

I pulled out magic book and sure enough in the section with all the items of hers, this painting was in here.

“I’m gonna buy this painting.” I said.

"Hm?" The shop pony said as he walked over. "Ah, I remember this one. Purchased it as a bundle of items from the mayor of a small town many years ago. The other items all sold over time but this stayed. I guess the painter made this not long after Princess Luna returned. Glad it's finally going to a home of it's own." The shop pony said as I gave the two bits.

I tried to hold back a chuckle that it's going back to the same home it had prior. He wrapped the painting up in some sturdy package paper and with that I headed out again.

I bought last, my snacks. Mainly candies, a pack of cupcakes and juice boxes. Plus some fruit and then met Guff back at the train.

Back in the cart now I flipped open my magical book, wondering about the magic stuff it copied.

What the?

There was a new text over those chapters.

Please Swap Magic Core to Proceed? The heck is magic core?

“Hey Guff…what are Magic Cores?” I asked in confusion.

"Well, I believe that's what they say is the source of a creature's magic… basically these cores are born in all living things with magic. Even plants and some gems can have them and powerful unicorns can even make them to empower enchantments and spells to great levels."

I frowned, flipping the pages to the first page with that data on me… that's new. In the corner was now a spot saying Magic Cores. I tapped it and the page changed to an all black coloring save a single glowing orb in the center surrounded by dark orbs? Okay… creepy.

“Uh…that’s rather concerning…” I said with a frown.

I tapped on the one next to the glowing orb. A text in white floated above it.

Pegasus Magic Core. One Harmony Crystal. One Pegasus Feather?

Before I could question I spotted my little heart shaped Junimo walk up, holding a gem and a feather and putting them on the book. I then saw the book absorb them and that dark orb then glow into a bright sky blue one.

Okay…? Shrugging, I touched it.

Poof!

What? Did something jump on my… back…?

Turning around to see the sudden feeling of weight on my back I spotted two… wings… attached to me… I… I'm a Pegasus now?!

Even Guff was in silent awe at this. After a few minutes I finally found the words to say something…

“WHAT!?!”