• Published 7th Dec 2014
  • 1,579 Views, 237 Comments

Friendship is Shining: Discord Days - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



Shining Armor faces off against a being of chaos

  • ...
3
 237
 1,579

PT: Pinkie Pie

Author's Note:

Just a heads up before you read these chapters (of which this is the first). PT stands for post-trauma. It is going to be more about the others (Pinkie Pie, Applejack, and Rarity) dealing with what happened and what they did. They are probably going to be a little on the dark side. I can't say for sure, nor to what extent. Just thought I would give you a heads up.

Pinkie Pie felt tired. Not just sleepy -- although she was -- but emotionally drained. It was like she was worn out from partying too hard for too long. Except it did not feel as satisfying, and there were no satisfied ponies leaving to make her feel proud of herself.

In some ways, she was proud of herself. Pinkie had managed to pick up on Shining Armor's nervousness and make him feel better. While in Ponyville, she had been able to smile, be happy, and have fun. She had even been able to help defeat Discord, turning him back to stone and returning Ponyville back to normal.

For the most part.

Still, she did not feel like she used to. She could see it in the mirror. She would still smile, but it was not as wide. Her eyes did not have quite as much of that same shine. She could also feel it in the way she moved. When she hopped, her jumps were not as high and springy as they normally were. Walking normally, her steps were heavier and slower. Pinkie doubted that most others would notice, but she did.

Making her way downstairs, Pinkie Pie caught sight of Mr. and Mrs. Cake. The couple sat at one of the tables filling out paperwork. Not the typical paperwork of inventory, ordering supplies, and planning out any special orders. This time they were filing a report on the attack to their shop during Discord's escape and listing the damage done. It was fortunate that Princess Celestia was having the cost of repairs covered by the royal financial reserve. Less fortunate was that it would take a while for repairs to begin as there was a limit on construction ponies in town, and buildings with foundation damage took priority.

As Pinkie Pie moved closer to the pair, first Mrs. Cake, then Mr. Cake looked up at her.

"I would like to take a few days off," Pinkie Pie said.

"Of course," Mrs. Cake told her. "We're going to have to close for a while when repairs start anyways." She shifted, looking at Pinkie Pie fully. "I know it's not the best way to ask, but are you okay?"

Pinkie looked at Mrs. Cake, then at Mr. Cake. After letting out a sigh, she moved to sit down across from them.

"No," Pinkie said. "I mean... I'm better than I was, but..." She rubbed her head. "I... I don't feel the same as I did before. It's like..." she paused, looking down at her chest. One hoof touched it gently, about where her heart would be.

"You know how if you blow up a balloon way way too much, it pops? It can never be blown up again, and if you put something other than air in it -- like glitter or confetti -- it goes everywhere? It's kind of like that. It was like I had all these bad feelings inside me: sadness, fear, anger, that kind of stuff. Only I didn't want to feel that stuff. So I pushed it super deep deep down inside where I could no longer feel it. Except I didn't even know I was doing it. I had been doing it for so long I had no idea I had even felt that way before I hid it away. Basically I was putting all these bad feelings into a balloon inside me and pretending that it didn't exist until I forgot all about it.

"On the train, Discord basically took a big mean needle, and popped the balloon. When he did that, all these scary bad feels that had been hidden for years were suddenly going through me all at once. It was all way too much for me to handle, so I kind of just collapsed like a souffle. I was feeling so much sadness, it was like I forgot how to be happy.

"Our talk, the twins, and the rainboom all made me feel better. I really felt more like myself after helping Shining Armor and stopping Discord. A lot of those bad feelings are gone." Pinkie licked her lips. "But not all of them. There's still a lot of sadness and fear inside me. I can't push it back down again, and I don't want to. If I did, it would just be swelling up until it exploded again. Only I don't know if I can find myself again if that happened."

The two bakers stared at Pinkie Pie as she suddenly got up and walked over to their side of the table. As soon as she was close enough, she gave them both a hug.

"You and the twins have been like a family like me, and I do love you. But after what happened, I feel like I need to see my family. To spend some time with my parents and sisters. Maybe talking to them and being on the rock farm will help."

"We understand," Mr. Cake said, giving Pinkie a gentle pat on the back. "Take all the time you need, but we will miss you and hope you come back soon."

"Thanks," Pinkie said before pulling away. "Well, I should be getting to bed. We have a victory party to celebrate tomorrow and then I have to get ready for my trip. I'm going to need a good night's sleep.... and probably plenty of snacks..."

Leaving Mr. and Mrs. Cake to return to their work, Pinkie Pie headed back up the stairs and toward her room. Her gaze flickered toward the twins' room as she walked past. It was unusually dark and quiet. Neither Pumpkin nor Pound fell asleep right away. Normally the two would be talking or trying to read a little longer or something. Pinkie considered waiting a few more minutes, then popping into their room to surprise the twins and see what they were up to.

Turned out it would not be necessary. As soon as Pinkie Pie opened the door, she found Pound and Pumpkin Cake. The two young ponies were in Pinkie's room. They both turned up and smiled at her when she came in, standing next to their blankets and pillows.

"Surprise," they both said.

"We thought that after everything that happened, you would want some company," Pumpkin explained.

"So we decided to have a slumber party with you," Pound finished. His ears pulled back as he took a step backwards, blushing. "Just... let's not have any makeovers this time."

For a moment, Pinkie's face turned serious as she looked at the pair. She then gave a smile. It was not one of her large ones with full teeth, but it was genuine. It was comforting to know that no matter what happened, there were ponies that cared for her and wanted to make her happy.

"Okay," Pinkie told him. "No make-overs. Buuuut -- " she jumped onto her bed and grabbed her sheet "-- that means we're going to start with..." Turning around, she held the sheet out behind her like a giant pair of wings. "Spooky stories."