• Published 5th Dec 2014
  • 324 Views, 33 Comments

Flower Petals - Undead Parchment



Who says two mares can't love one another?

  • ...
3
 33
 324

A Soft Patch of Dirt

Dandelion awoke the next morning, found herself sprawled awkwardly on her bed, her comforter and pillows on the floor. What happened last night? Dandelion pushed the question aside for now and preceded to sit up, stretched and yawned.

Dandelion slipped out of her bed and made her way into the main room. She was surprised to see Poppy already seated at the kitchen table, a bowl of Sugar Bombs(1) in front of her and a book on the side. She shoveled spoonfuls of the sugary cereal into her mouth, her eyes never leaving the pages of her book.

'Odd,' Thought Dandelion as she prepared herself a bowl of the unnecessarily sweet cereal. Indeed it was odd. Usually Poppy was still fast asleep on the weekends. Shrugging, Dandelion preceded to sit down at the table in front of her roommate.

"Good morning," Dandelion greeted the distracted mare, spooning some cereal into her mouth and chewing.

"Morning," Poppy returned the greeting, her eyes still glued to her book. Dandelion took a peek at the cover: "A Game of Thrones"(2). She had seen Poppy reading this book a few times, mostly when she had nothing better to do. Dandelion figured it was still raining, why else would Poppy be reading instead of tending to her plants? Dandelion grinned and continued to eat her breakfast.

**

Dandelion was certain something was off with her roommate. Her bed head? No, that was the norm for her. The book? Nope. Once again, normal. The socks? Bingo.

"Uh... Poppy?" Dandelion gazed at the pink striped socks Poppy was wearing. She had no idea why Poppy would wear socks in the middle of summer.

"Hm?" Poppy asked through a mouthful of apple juice.

Dandelion thought of a way to approach the situation without seeming rude. "Any reason you're wearing socks?" She cocked her head at the mare before her. Poppy looked up from her book and gazed at Dandelion.

"They're comfy. And they make me look cute," She responded with a touch of finality. Dandelion had to admit, Poppy did look kind of cute in those socks.

"But..." She began. "Why do you want to look cute?"

As if to respond, Poppy slipped out of her chair and brought her bowl to the kitchen, dumping it in the sink, all the while swaying her flanks at Dandelion. The confused mare had no idea why she was doing so, but she couldn't but feel... Excited... Dandelion couldn't help but blush, said blush apparent on her bright orange coat.

Dandelion shook her head as if to clear it. "Um..." Dandelion mused. "Okay, but why?"

"Why, what?" Poppy queried, took a seat on the couch, cocked her head.

"Why do you want to look cute?" Dandelion eyed the socks on each of Poppy's four legs. Dandelion couldn't get over the image of Poppy swaying her hips. It just... It was just so... Exciting... Dandelion blished again, unaware.

Poppy tapped her chin with a hoof as if deep in thought. After a moment, she said, "Dunno." This earned a blunt expression from Dandelion, who had no idea why Poppy was actually wearing them. Of course, Poppy knew what she was doing, and so far, her mission had just become easier. Poppy grinned inwardly. She went back to reading without another word.

**

After several more bowls of Sugar Bombs, Dandelion sauntered back to her room and came back out with the book she had from last night and walked back into the main room, took a seat next to Poppy on the couch and began reading, occasionally scribbled something in the book.

About thirty minutes later, Poppy dog eared her book and closed it, stood up and walked to the door. She pulled it open and peeked her head out. When she pulled her head back in and closed the door again, her mane was dripping slightly, a frown on her muzzle. It was still raining. Poppy shook her head and sat back down on the couch. She gazed at the sleeping Dandelion, smiled. Dandelion was just so cute when she slept.

As Poppy made to open her book again, a glint from somewhere next to Dandelion. Poppy looked in her roommate's direction and saw a little book with a silver padlock reflecting the light from a lamp on the table next to the couch. Putting her book back down on the armrest and slipped off the couch again, picked up the book, eyed it. Poppy noticed on the table a quill and ink pot. The quill's nib in the ink pot. Odd, Poppy thought. She hadn't seen Dandelion writing anything that morning. Then again, she was too engrossed in her own book to notice much of anything.

Poppy gazed at the book in wonder. She knew exactly what this book was. And oh how she wanted to take a peek. Just a teeny tiny peek... But she couldn't! Dandelion was her best friend! Poppy just couldn't betray her best friend like that.

Oh but the lock wasn't even locked! It would be so simple, so easy to just open the cover and take a small peek... But she wouldn't. No.

Angry with herself for thinking these vile things, Poppy clicked the lock, making it impossible to give in to temptation. Poppy sauntered to Dandelion's bedroom and placed the book on her roommate's night stand and left the room, closed the door with a click and head back to the main room.

Dandelion searched frantically for something. Poppy had an idea what.

"Oh!" Dandelion turned her attention to her roommate as she walked in. "Poppy, have you seen my diary?"

Poppy raised a hoof in the direction of Dandelion's room. "I took it to your room while you were asleep." She then quickly added, "Don't worry! I didn't read it!"

Dandelion grinned and giggled. "I didn't think you would. You're too good a friend to do something like that." Dandelion smiled and grabbed her quill and ink pot, walked to her room.

'That would have gone differently had I actually read that thing...' Poppy thought, flushing at the image of Dandelion's sweet smile. "By Celestia I love that mare..." Poppy sat back down on the couch, lost in thought.

**

Dandelion sighed and closed her bedroom door. She sat down at her desk and placed her diary in front of her. Her right hoof wrapped around her hawk feather quill and dipped it in the ink before unlocking her diary with a brass key and opening the book to the latest, empty page.

Nib met parchment as she wrote:

"Well, my plan failed. Poppy is just too good
A friend to read my diary. I should have
figured. Letting her read my latest entry
would let her know about my feelings
for her... I should have figured she would
have never given into curiosity. Oh how am I
going to do this? I love Poppy more than I love
my garden. And for me, that's saying something!
Oh well... I guess I'll try again some other time..."

With a sad frown, Dandelion closed her diary, locked it again. She replaced the quill back in the ink pot. Dandelion yawned; that little nap on the couch left her drowsy. She glanced at the wall clock above her door: Two-ten. How long had she slept the night before? Dandelion shrugged and stood, slipped into her bed and climbed under the covers, closed her eyes. A little more sleep never hurt, right? It was only Saturday, after all! No sooner had she thought that, her breathing softened and her heart rate slowed and she was asleep almost immediately, snoring gently.

Author's Note:

1. Distraction number one: Fallout
2. Distraction number two: Game of Thrones, the novel.

I've been on the search for a proofreader and or editor for a while now for this story. If anyone is willing, please, PM me.

Was the plot twist too soon added? I need opinions. So post them in the comments.

Post in the comments section a prompt for the next chapter. If I like your prompt, I will use it in the next chapter.

I hope you enjoyed reading!