• Published 25th Jan 2015
  • 4,265 Views, 143 Comments

Just Roll With It: Future Chronicles - sunnypack



Harmony takes a step into the future and learns a bit about things in the past.

  • ...
11
 143
 4,265

5 - No

Chapter 5: No

“Yes,” Cadance replied to Shining’s distrustful gaze.

“But you don’t even know this… creature! How can you just agree to meet him?”

“Because I feel it in my heart, this is the right thing to do.” She gave him a quizzical look. “Why don’t you want to see him too?”

Shining growled and stepped away from his wife to gaze out the window overlooking the eastern side of the Crystal Empire. The Crystal Ponies were out shopping, or talking, or languidly strolling around the streets at peace.

Shining took a deep breath. “Yes,” he said. “You’re right, as always. I guess I feel a little nervous. Twilight doesn’t seem to like him.”

Cadance smiled at that. “Well I’m sure we can judge Harmony, when we see him, as fair and as objectively as possible. He hasn’t done anything wrong yet, it’s not like we can condemn him for actions he has yet to partake of.” Her gaze softened as she approached him and gave him a nuzzle. “But do not worry, I’m sure to take appropriate precautions if Twilight has some misgivings. After all, she has been right once before…”

Shining blushed at that. “I’m so sorry,” he said, his voice laced with pain. “I should have paid attention, if there was something I was sure…”

“Now, now,” Cadance cooed. “None of that. Straighten up, my love. We have a big day ahead of ourselves.”

Shining straightened up at that. “Thanks,” he replied softly, but Cadance only smiled serenely back at him. “I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

“Probably fall into a pit and call for your mother, I’d wager,” she chuckled and watched in delight as Shining went crimson through his white coat.

“T-That was that one time! I legitimately thought my mother was nearby!” he snapped his mouth shut as Cadance giggled. “Oh forget it,” he grumbled, marching out the door. “Let’s just go meet the strange creature-thing.”

–––––

With a flash, Twilight, the Princesses, Discord and I appeared in the middle of Ponyville. I prepared to take us out of Ponyville with another snap, but Discord interrupted me, pointing to the other ponies in the group. They staggered around woozily and were rubbing their eyes in sympathy.

“What?” I said, not comprehending.

Discord sighed, gesturing again to the ponies. “Teleportation magic has come pretty far in the last millennia or so, it’s probably best if I do the teleporting or you’ll end up with some very sick and very disoriented ponies.”

I studied my fingers, fingering my spell. “Hmm,” I grunted, examining the spell structure. “I admit I’m not the best at teleportation, but I thought I had improved the design a fair bit.” My expression darkened. “Better than Star Swirl’s, surely.”

Discord coughed politely and nudged me. I saw Twilight stomp over angrily.

“You!” she growled. “You have got to be the most incompetent spell caster I have ever had the displeasure of meeting! Do you call that a spell?! The matrix was off by two thaumic points, the radii was embarrassingly large and then wasted energy around the dissociative dimensional directive was completely unnecessary!”

I frowned at my matrix, visualising the spell again.

“I don’t know,” I replied, shrugging. “It seemed alright to me. We got where we wanted didn’t we?”

Twilight snorted and her horn lit up, with a small pop and a barely recognisable flash she was gone and she reappeared behind me, a fact that I was only made aware of when Discord lightly guided me around to face her.

“See?” she stated rhetorically teleporting again in front of me. “That’s how it should look like.”

“Ah,” I said, grasping her horn again. Twilight shrieked and back pedalled away. She held both her hooves on her horn. “Stop that!” she demanded, giving me a glare. I glanced at her briefly, before returning my attention to the spell composition.

“Huh.” I turned the matrix this way and that. “It’s much more advanced now. Oh, tying the focal subunits together, interesting.” I gave an experimental snap.

The matrix blossomed and the field whined. Before I could even react, the spell collapsed on itself blowing me back and I fell to ground by the shockwave.

“Woah!” I shouted. “What the heck was that?!”

Twilight gave me a look that said, ‘isn’t it obvious?’

Celestia gave me a helping hoof up as she explained. Twilight looked a little annoyed at that, but I ignored her and thanked Celestia.

“You powered the spell without giving it coordinates, it dissipated the energy into sound, noise and compression of the air in front of you, to prevent thaumic feedback,” she elucidated, while I stared at the design in amazement.

“That’s ingenious!” I exclaimed. “Who thought of this?!”

Discord gave me a look. “You did?” His expression cleared. “Wait a second, did you…?”

Luna had an ‘oooooh’ expression I found hilarious. Twilight’s eyes widened, then narrowed.

It finally dawned on me. “A time loop.” I snapped my fingers. “My Dad told me about these, but I didn’t think I’d ever get to experience one. Oh well, mess with the Time spells long enough and you get these sorts of things happening all the time.” I frowned. “I really should have listened to Tempora about them.”

Celestia glanced at Luna, Luna returned the look. Discord looked away.

“Am I missing something?” I asked the two alicorns and the draconequus.

Discord shook his head. “It’s nothing,” he said quickly. “Just a thought about time.”

Celestia nodded vigorously. “Just strange,” she added unhelpfully.

I rolled my eyes. “I don’t care if this creates paradoxes, one day you’re going to tell me. For now, we’re going to see Cadance.”

“Princess Cadance,” Twilight corrected me. I looked at her blankly.

“What?”

“Princess Cadance,” she repeated. “By your own admission, she doesn’t know anything about you. So you should address her with the proper respect.”

“Now, now,” Celestia began, but I interrupted her, clearing my throat.

“Okay,” I said, feeling a bit empty. “Fair enough.”

At that Twilight looked a little mollified that I hadn’t chosen to argue with her. She shut her mouth and nodded.

Discord nudged me from the side. “You’re scared aren’t you.” It wasn’t a question, but I nodded anyway. “Don’t worry,” he reassured me. “It’ll all work out somehow.”

I gave a sigh. “I hope so,” I replied. “I really hope so.”

Author's Note:

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!