• Published 30th Apr 2012
  • 789 Views, 3 Comments

A Shy Shrink - Draconaes

  • ...
1
 3
 789

A Royal Rant

The first snowfall of the year occurred somewhat earlier than usual. Apparently some new legislation was messing with Cloudsdale's schedules. Fluttershy was glad that she wasn't a part of the weather service: Rainbow Dash and the rest of the Ponyville weather team were currently swamped with paperwork.

Fluttershy herself was currently watching the library for Twilight. She, Trixie, and Spike had all left for Canterlot that morning. Apparently Princess Celestia had something important to talk to them about. Fluttershy wondered if this had anything to do with the "Everfree Incident", as most ponies not in the know referred to the mysterious event that had taken place three weeks ago.

She had just finished preparing a cup of tea for the evening when she heard the library door open. "Fluttershy? Twilight Sparkle informed us that you would be guarding her library!" Fluttershy poked her head out of the kitchen to see...

"P-P-Princess Luna?" Luna smiled upon seeing her and barged into the kitchen. Fluttershy quickly got out of her way. "Um, what's-"

"Twilight Sparkle and Trixie both spoke highly of you, Fluttershy. I remember your help on Nightmare Night, and decided I would best be served by speaking with you." Yup. That was it. When royalty was coming to her for help, she had to admit that she was unfortunately going to get the entirely wrong kind of reputation.

"Um, Princess..."

"Please, call me Luna."

"Oh, okay. Um, Luna... what's wrong?"

"That thrice blasted sister of mine is what's wrong! Do you recall the crisis not three weeks past? She had the gall to leave me in charge for that! I know she knew something was going to happen before she left! She even hinted at the locks being inadequate! She won't even say where she went! And then... and then! She returns just after I fix the problem, and she awards me a title? The nerve of her! And she won't say anything about it to me directly!"

"Um..."

"She named me "Defender of Equestria", for Discord's sake! I've never known her punishments to be so cruel!" Fluttershy thought that being banished to the Moon for a thousand years would probably be considered more cruel than being awarded a title, but she didn't want to contradict Luna while she was so agitated. She didn't want to contradict Luna at all, really. "She's implying that my previous title of "Shield of Dark" is meaningless! I was already supposed to be Equestria's official guardian! And she just throws the position at me like I hadn't had it all along!"

"Well..."

"And the worst of it all is that she still isn't taking me seriously! Do you know that she is, at this very moment, holding a meeting with Twilight Sparkle and Trixie concerning the incident!? Without me!? I don't know what she thinks she is doing, but if this is meant to "teach" me something, it is failing spectacularly. Withholding secrets related to national security aside, I've done nothing to warrant such treatment! I was the one that procured our informant in the first place! I think I should be involved in anything related to her!"

"Uh... Luna..." Luna paused and looked at her. "Is it... safe for you to be telling me all this?"

"Oh, right. As a spirit of Harmony, I believe you can be trusted. You can ask Twilight Sparkle to fill you in on the other details if you want. As "Defender of Equestria"..." She snorted, "I deem you safe. Celestia can reprimand me later with another title. Maybe she'll name me "Co-ruler of Equestria" or "That Pony that raises the Moon"!"

"Um, well... have you talked to her about it?"

"Of course not! She's the one that apparently has a problem with my actions! She should step forward and address me directly!"

Fluttershy ducked behind her cup of tea. "Well, see, uh, it seems like she might want you to bring up the subject with her. Maybe she wants to give you the, well, ability to make the decision to talk about whatever is happening between you yours. Maybe she thinks that if she brings it up, you'll assume she's trying to, um..." Fluttershy trailed off, unsure of how to express herself tactfully.

Luna silently stared out the window for a minute. "I suppose I see your point. Thank you, Fluttershy. I think I just needed to speak my mind without worrying about the consequences. I'll speak with Celestia later tonight. Maybe I can convince her to stop this pointless game she's playing. Twilight Sparkle spoke true when she said you were a great pony to talk to."

"Oh, no, I really-"

"I really must return to Canterlot. I've thought of a wonderful solution to one of our problems just now. Farewell for now, my dear pony." Luna suddenly teleported away, presumably to Canterlot. Twilight must have taught her the long-range teleportation spell she developed.

"Oh dear..."