• Published 25th Nov 2014
  • 4,552 Views, 365 Comments

BPT: A Midnight Stroll through Time - Wolven5



Through happenstance, or perhaps fate, Midnight Blaze's little experiment whirls him into a jounrey through the very history of Equestria!

  • ...
 365
 4,552

PreviousChapters Next
20. Escape from the Facet Rule - Epilogue

The first thing he felt as he started to come to was a gentle warmth over his body, some aches fading away, and his eyes fluttered open to see a very familiar princess looking down with eyes full of concern. The only difference between the princess he was seeing from the one he first met was her mane, flowing from a non-existant breeze, was entirely pink.

“You’re awake.”

“Mmph…” Midnight slowly sat up, finding himself in a comfy bed, and tending to him was, “…Princess Celestia!”

“It appears you kept your promise, my friend.”

It could only be her. She wasn’t as tall as when he first met her, and her mane didn’t have the other colors, but the horn on her head, the wings on her back, and the sun on her flank dashed away any doubt.

“And it seems you’ve been through a great ordeal.”

“Wha… what happened?” Midnight asked as he rubbed the sleep out of his eyes.

“My sister woke me up last night when a crystal pony was banging on the castle doors, begging to be let in and heard,” Celestia explained.
“After she told us of her rescuer being a blue unicorn without a mark named Midnight Blaze, we took wing to help you. But by the time we got there, you’d already overcome your adversaries, and you’d fallen unconscious.”

“…Do you know? About me?” Midnight asked hesitantly.

Celestia nodded with a smile.
“When we were old enough to understand, Star Swirl told us about you and your unique situation. It gave us hope that we would see you again.”

“I’m sorry for not seeing you for so long,” Midnight sulked.

“Don’t be. While I don’t fully understand your situation,” Celestia said comfortingly, “I realize you have been through much and still have far to go.”

“Did Autumn Wheat tell you? About the Crystal Empire?” Midnight pressed.

Celestia looked crestfallen, “I was horrified to hear what she said… Is it really true? Sombra…?”

“I’m sorry, Princess,” Midnight nodded morosely. “I saw him myself… He’s gone mad with power.”

“Then he will be dealt with,” Celestia’s brows furrowed. “It matters not that the empire belongs to him, to oppress his own people with slavery is unforgiveable!”

Midnight felt a stab of guilt, as he wished he could tell Celestia Sombra was not truly at fault. But for the sake of history, he bit his tongue and held his silence. Then Celestia spoke, “It is good to see you again, Midnight.”

He blushed a bit when Celestia nuzzled his cheek and looked at him warmly.
“And thank you, for what you’ve done. I must go consult with my advisors.”

“Princess-” Midnight wanted to say more but Celestia raised a hoof.

“Please, Midnight, there will be plenty of time for catching up. You must rest,” she insisted. “Luna will check in on you later.”

With that assurance, Celestia exited the room, leaving Midnight to himself.

Midnight didn’t get much rest. He kept tossing and turning, his thoughts bothering him worse than a charley-horse. He was torn by his heart and head, the former telling him to tell Celestia the truth, that Sombra was not in his right mind, the latter reminding him of his promise not to interfere with history any more than necessary, especially historic events such as what was surely about to transpire.

Servants brought him food and drink and directed him to the room where he could relieve himself. He asked about Autumn Wheat and was assured she was being cared for. Midnight took their word for it, and hoped whatever Autumn had suffered in that dungeon would not scar her for life.

Finally, in walked the Princess of the Night.
“Greetings, Midnight Blaze. It hath been too long since We have spoken with thee.”

For a moment, Midnight wondered what was up with the archaic language when he mentally kicked himself in the plot for kidding Star Swirl to teach the Sisters the royal ‘We’.
“Hello, Princess Luna.”

“We art relieved to find thee well, old friend,” Luna said with an edge in her voice. “But We wish to discusseth with thou of a most curious observation We made during thy treatment.”

“Ok…” Midnight felt wary all of a sudden.

“Tell Us, Midnight Blaze,” Luna said with a scrutinizing eye, “would’st thee know the reason why thou beholdeth powers similar to Ours? Even before Our sister and We arrived to find thee collapsed, We had heard a most powerful cry and witnessed the burst of power that followed.”

Midnight bit his lip, his eyes going shifty, as Luna gave him the stink eye.

“…Thou were there, weren’t thee? Thou followed Us and Our children to the archipelago where We made those foals Our children of the night.”

“Yes, yes I was…” Midnight admitted, his ears pressed down.

“We are surprised thou did not speak of this to Our sister.”

“I saw what you were doing but chose first to understand your motives. Then I saw these foals you spirited away came from troubled pasts. Besides, even if I’d wanted to, I wouldn’t have told your sister.”

“…Would this pertain to thy journey through time?” Luna asked.

“Yes, and I will say no more regarding that matter,” Midnight said firmly. “But I will admit when you turned those foals into your children, I was in the magic circle when it happened.”

“Ah, so thou art becoming like Our children of the night,” Luna confirmed but then she gave Midnight another stink eye.
“However, Midnight Blaze, We do not appreciate being spied on.”

“Just as I’m sure you sister didn’t appreciate you betraying her and tricking Sombra,” Midnight retorted, to Luna’s shock.
“Yes, I know what you did! Though it still astounds me that little filly I knew as Woona could do something so despicable!”

“How dare thee speaketh to Us in that manner!” Luna snapped but Midnight glared her down, to her surprise as she sensed his disapproving fury.

“How dare you! To betray your sister and drive her apart from the stallion she loves!” Midnight yelled.
“The ramifications of it aside, I hold my tongue of your children of the night because I saw true and sincere love on your face when you held them that night. Even so, I am disgusted by your actions and your reasons for doing them! So spare me your lectures, moon princess! You are no different from Star Swirl and even less noble than Sombra! At least he cannot control his savagery! But by your actions, you set in motion a series of events that led to a brutal tyranny and a great many oppressed and enslaved, so I hope you are proud of yourself!”

Luna looked at Midnight, stunned and ashamed when he turned away from her and whispered, “Go away…”

Luna lowered her head in shame and obliged, leaving to sooth her bruised ego. Midnight sat on the bed, the guilt and shame of his own words washing over him, as he curled up into a fetal position and hugged his tail, feeling like a little colt ashamed of saying bad words.

Midnight didn’t know how long he laid in that bed but was glad that his next visitor was not either of the princesses.

“You’re alright!”

He turned to see a face happy and relieved, that it brightened his face.

“Autumn Wheat!” he smiled at her and was a little surprised when she came and hugged him.

“The princesses insisted I let you rest before coming to see you,” Autumn explained, “though their healers were very nice. I must say… this kingdom isn’t quite like how the empire was, but it’s still much better than what you saved me from.”

“Why did their healers need to see you?” Midnight asked.

Autumn looked hesitant but oddly happy.
“I’m pregnant!”

“Huh?!” Midnight gaped at her as she explained.

“Yes, it is his child… But I believe the moment of conception was that night when I tried to stop him,” Autumn looked sad as she held the red scarf around her neck to her heart.
“That night when he gave me this…”

Now Midnight understood! He wasn’t sure if what his master had been entirely truthful, but now it was made clearer why he wanted Midnight to rescue this particular pony.
“Where are my things?! I need to see my things!”

“They’re in that chest at the foot of your bed,” Autumn pointed out.

Midnight opened it and saw his cloak and bags. He looked in the bags and was relieved to see his Time Stone and two-way journal. He looked to Autumn and said, “Well, I’m glad it was with him before what he became.”

“As am I…” Autumn shed tears. “Midnight Blaze, I owe you my life, and the life of my child. I can never repay you for saving us…”

“Yes you can,” Midnight assured her as he gave her a hug. “Live, find happiness, raise your child well. That’s all you gotta do.”

Autumn looked at her savior with tears of joy before giving him a kiss, much to Midnight’s bewilderment.

“Midnight… Thank you,” she whispered before leaving the room.

Midnight sat there, in wonder, until he realized he had a message to send.

‘Dear Prince Sombra,

It is done. Autumn Wheat is safe in the Castle of the Two Sisters. Along with her child. Your child.

Yes, I figured that out, and wish you’d been more upfront with me. I wouldn’t have judged you, my master, but I trust you as my mentor, and that requires honesty. I hope that you were honest in saying Autumn Wheat was the crystal pony who warned the Sisters of the tyranny over the Crystal Empire. I don’t want o have changed history for the sake of a child you never knew.

I apologize if my words are disrespectful.

Your loyal apprentice,
Midnight Blaze'

To Midnight’s relief, the moon was full when night fell. Midnight and Celestia talked one more time and she understood he had to move on. Midnight could see it on Celestia’s face she was torn by her duties and her heart. She didn’t want to believe the pony she’d broken up with had turned into a monster, and how it pained him to hold his silence.

He didn’t see Luna again, and it was just as well. He would’ve been too ashamed to face her after what he’d said.

Celestia treated Midnight to a dinner in the royal court but once it got a little lively, Midnight slipped out unnoticed and was gone in a Wink of Light.

Author's Note:

The intense moment between Midnight and Luna was meant to point something out. All the bad events (in this story's universe) were instigated by Luna herself.

And yes, the crystal pony midnight rescued, Autumn Wheat, is pregnant with Sombra's child.

PreviousChapters Next