• Published 13th Dec 2014
  • 726 Views, 5 Comments

The Great Conspiracy - YoungQuillMaster



A conspiracy of old comes to light, causing the ponies of Equestria to rethink their knowledge of their world; especially of what's beyond the sea.

  • ...
1
 5
 726

Chapter 9

Author's Note:

The Grand Finale! This week, because these are the last two chapters, you get a double release! Yep, the Epilogue is also up, so you can read that when you finish here!

Dusk sat down at one of the table in the dining common, setting his platter and helmet down on the table’s surface, and soon Thunderlane came by and sat down across the table from him, setting his helmet and platter down as well, revealing his grey coat, icy mane and yellow eyes.

“How’s the patient?” Thunderlane asked before taking munching down on an apple. Dusk levitated a spoonful of mashed potatoes to his mouth, the dry, obviously recently rehydrated, paste barely giving off any taste resembling potatoes.

“She’s resting and not very patient about it all.” Dusk replied with a smirk before taking another bite. “Cardiac arrest isn’t going to stop her stubborn tendencies. It’s only because the doctor won’t let her leave that she’ll even stay down for a few seconds.”

“She sounds like a hoofful.” Thunderlane commented before downing the rest of his apple, bits and pieces scattering across the table. “I’m starting to wonder how any pony could handle her, but I guess being sibling does give you a certain bit of leverage in knowing what makes her tick.”

“You might think that, but if anything it makes it more difficult.” Dusk replied. “Because we’re twins she doesn’t she why I have to be so ‘bossy’, as she puts it. She can be a headache, but it’s the type of headache you wouldn’t trade away.”

“Sounds like my little brother in certain ways, though he is a bit better about it than your sister by what you’re saying.” Thunderlane observed. “One time he decided he really wasn’t scared of the Everfree and went in with a bag of snacks and a blanket.”

“How’d it go for him?” Dusk asked, lifting his glass to his lips to drink the extremely watered down apple juice.

“Well, he soon remembered how much he’s scared of the dark when I’m not around. He came home after ten seconds in the forest claiming that there had been a three headed creatures, one part timber wolf, one part Ursa Minor, and another part dragon.” Thunderlane replied.

“You know, I might chalk that up to imagination, but since it’s the Everfree we’re talking about, I wouldn’t put it to far out of the realm of possibility.” Dusk commented.

“All guards are to report to the main courtyard!” A voice shouted from the stairway leading down to the cafeteria. “Leave your plates here; if things go smoothly you’ll have time to finish up within five to ten minutes.”

“Well, nothing lost really,” Thunderlane mumbled, “The food isn’t hot anyway.” Dusk nodded in agreement, putting his helmet back on, his coat and mane turning back to the uniform colors of the Alliance guard. The two friends stood up and walked over to the stairs in the swarm of other guard filing out to see what they were needed for.

“So, Thunderlane, how’s the guard life treating you?” Dusk asked as they went up the stairs. Thunderlane shrugged, ruffling his wings slightly.

“Good enough, even though we don’t get enough wing time around here unless you’re on pegasus patrol, which I’m not eligible for since I’m still just a corporal.” He replied with a sigh. “That is something I just don’t understand.”

“Well, by what I understood from our first conversation you were a Royal Guard at some point?” Dusk questioned.

“Actually no, that would be my dad. He taught Rumble and I everything he knew after he was discharged due to health concerns.” Thunderlane explained. “Whole reason why I’m already a corporal in all honesty, otherwise I’d probably still be in basic training.”

“Hmm… interesting, I guess having certain connections to former military personnel does help in some regard.” Dusk noted. “If you don’t mind me asking, why’d you join the Alliance? I mean, everypony here has some reason to have join, what’s yours?”

“Well, it was a chance to be in something bigger than myself. They offered me a chance to change Equestria for the better and I couldn’t pass that up.” Thunderlane explained.

“Well, that is a good reason… but, what if they aren’t doing what they say they’re doing?” Dusk asked. “Hypothetically of course. Imagine if the leaders of the Alliance launched an Equestria wide attack to over throw the princesses forcefully. What would you do?” Thunderlane looked at him skeptically.

“Just what are you trying to get at, Nightshade?” Thunderlane asked apprehensively, not sure what to make of the sudden shift in his friend.

“Exactly what it sounds like, Thunderlane; it is a simple question.” Dusk replied. “What would you do if the Alliance went into all out war against Equestria, or what if you found out that that was their goal?” Thunderlane paused for a moment, deep in thought.

“Well, I couldn’t really feel justified. Equestria is my home, and even if any pony could make a complaint against the princesses, they would easily be outweighed by all the good they’ve done.” Thunderlane stated simply. “I don’t mean any disloyalty, but I couldn’t go to war against my own country.”

“Good answer, we should all know our bounds of allegiance. Congratulations, Thunderlane, you’ve passed the test.” Dusk stated with a smile.

“Test, what do you mean that it was a test?” Thunderlane questioned. Dusk looked at him with a smile a chuckled slightly.

“That’s what I asked when I was given the question before. It seems the higher ups want to make sure they aren’t leading a bunch of bloodthirsty brutes.” Dusk explained. “If you had said that you would’ve followed on, I wouldn’t have told you about the test. You see, they set a single pony to start the test and everypony who passes does the test on another pony they place some amount of trust, but it seems the original barer of the question has been… detained in the infirmary.” Thunderlane blinked a few times, and then his eyes lit up in realization.

“Boysen was the original questioner?” Thunderlane asked incredulously. “Why not have a high ranking officer give the test to everypony, why her? This just gets more and more confusing.”

“Because nopony would expect a long ranking pony to be giving a test from the leaders of the Alliance, and plus, since it’s just a long ranking pony, most others feel more comfortable with telling the truth about the matter.” Dusk explained. “Now that you’ve passed, you also need to test another pony you place some trust in.” He stated with a grave expression. “Remember, if they pass, tell them to carry on the test with another, but if they fail, tell them that they’re a good soldier and are to be commended for their faithfulness.”

“Alright, Nightshade,” Thunderlane sighed, “This is a big responsibility, but I’ll do my best to pass on the test.” He stated. “I’ll see you around later.” Dusk nodded as the pegasus melted back into the main bulk of the crowd. This plan was working better than expected. If the test was given to everypony, soon enough the whole army would either immediately leave the Alliance once the truth was revealed, or would be swarmed by comrades that didn’t believe in going that far. But the whole plan depended on the leaders of the Alliance wanting to go to war against Equestria, an eventuality he make inevitable by means of two certain counselors.

Dusk, along with all the other guards who were in what seemed like deep conversation as the question he had began spread like wildfire, which spread and reached out, snatching ponies that had already been in the courtyard. On their way, Dusk had met with Clockwork and Timeturner and had told them him plan, to which they agreed. He directed his attention to the platform that was set up in the courtyard were the two leaders stood, waiting for everypony to arrive. The two, brown, earth ponies stood by the platform with the other counselors, like a ring of the highest order, which was surrounded by another ring of the higher ranking military ponies.

“Ponies of the Alliance of the Two Halves,” The mare began, stepping forward, taking the place of prominence, “Yesterday, as you all know, four ponies escaped, almost killing two of our own.” She continued, causing Dusk to grin a little. If he was any good at predicting where a speech was going, this one was going directly where it needed to go. “We have recaptured two of those ponies, and they are now being tried along with two baby dragons.” Dusk’s eyes went wide. Was it possible that Artemis and Celestia had been captured again? And by baby dragon, did they mean Spines and Spike?

“Indeed, we have recaptured the two royals of supposed Friendship along with their petty draconic assistants.” The stallion confirmed with a grin. Dusk forced his jaw closed, almost having to put a leg under it to keep it from dropping to the floor. He was here, and Twilight was in the infirmary, who were they caught. ”Say hello again, prince and princess, to those you have so wronged.” And on cue, two alicorns walked onto stage, both with his colors and cutie mark, but something was off. Both of them were a bit tall and lanky to be him, even though their colors, mane and tail style, and everything else were correct.

“Will the brother of the mare who almost died come forward?” The mare on stage asked. Dusk froze in place, though he had enough presence of mind to furrow his brow in anger. He felt a tap on his shoulder, to which he turned to look back.

“That’s you, Nightshade, get up there.” Thunderlane said with a flat expression. “They’ve summoned you, you need to go.” Dusk nodded slowly and started to make his way through the crowd, and up on stage.

“Please, state your name and you sister’s name and state what happened to you at the hooves of these two ponies’ former mentors.” The stallion said.

“I am Nightshade, my sister is Boysenberry. Boysen suffered a cardiac arrest due to an overload of magic to the brain and to the rest of her body for that matter.” Dusk stated.

“Very well, this has been noted, and these two ponies here are now at your mercy. Do as you may with them, and ask for anything out of your power at the moment and it shall be given.” The mare stated with a snide grin.

“Let them be bound in magic absorbing chains and dragged by me to the deepest darkest cell where I can do as I wish in retribution for my sister.” Dusk forced out, trying to stay in character as much a possible.

“Very well, it shall be done.” The stallion stated. “Guards, do as this stallion commands, and let the ponies know the character of this guard, whether he show a measure of mercy or a dose of pure justice.” He ordered. The guard quickly responded and climbed up on stage and wrapped both of them in chains, which they linked to the horn of the saddle piece of Dusk’s armor.

“Show me where the cell is that I have described.” Dusk ordered one of the guards, who nodded and began walking towards the inside of the castle. Dusk pulled against the chains, and the ponies behind him stumbled forward as they were dragged along. Dusk’s heart was beating so hard that he thought he might have to get a bed in the hospital. Slowly, they progressed through the winding, stony corridors, the smooth, cleanly cut, well lit stones devolving into craggy, unkempt, dimly lit slabs. Torches, which had been placed in such a way that there were no dark spots, were now so sparse and far between that for most of the trip it was hard to tell where they were stepping.

Slowly, the gurgling of a stream came to their ears, and the clip clopping of their hooves against the stone path changed into the crunching sound of walking across dried grass and caked earth. The torches slowly became more and more regular, lighting their path better than before, though they still let several patches of darkness, while their dancing, uneven light caused shadows of ponies to become ravenous, starving monsters, wanting for the meat of the body they were cast from. Dusk pulled harder on the chains, trying to go a bit faster to keep the ponies leading them in sight.

As they continued down the path, they crossed over a small arching path of stone that passed over the small stream they had heard before, and all around it, mushrooms and other plants that didn’t need sunlight to survive sprouted, enjoying the moisture of the little, churning brook. Dusk saw two gigantic, wooden doors that had a small office like structure set into the wall beside it. Eventually, they reached a cell with only a solid metal door that had to small slits in it and a large metal bar going across its length facing them. Dusk nodded to the guard, who began heading back.

“Make sure nopony else comes even close to here as long as I’m inside. I want no distractions whatsoever.” Dusk ordered. The guard nodded and continued down the hall towards the exit. Dusk then opened the cell and led the two ponies inside, leaving the door completely open. “Well, for starters, I’d like to know who you two really are and why you are here.” He said, taking his helmet off and tossing it to the side.

“I am Princess Twilight Sparkle.” The mare fake replied with a horrible imitation of Twilight’s tone that was almost as grating as nails against a chalk board in comparison.

“And I’m Prince Dusk Shine.” The stallion fake stated with a grave expression. Dusk groaned and looked at the two with an annoyed gaze.

“No you’re not. For one thing you sound nothing like them and you body proportions are way off.” He stated simply. “The entire reason I brought you down here was because you two are obviously fakes and I want to know why you are even pretending.”

“We’re Twilight and Dusk, really we are.” The fake Twilight pressed.

“Um, no you aren’t. I’ve seen both of them and besides cutie mark and colors, you are nothing like them, especially your voices.” Dusk stated. “So let’s come clean, who are you two and why are you even trying to pretend to be two royals?”

“We are royals, really we are. And we are Dusk and Twilight.” His fake version stated, still using a incredibly bad imitation.

“Sure, I’m more willing to believe the royal part than who you claim to be.” Dusk said. “Seriously, ‘Dusk’ you of all ponies should be getting the voice right when you’ve heard it so recently.”

“Sure, you could say that, but I’m telling you that I’m Dusk.” The faker continued. Dusk sighed and began to walk out of the cell when suddenly Thunderlane crashed into him.

“Thunderlane? What’s wrong, what are you doing down here?” Dusk asked, looking over the guard, making sure he wasn’t hurt badly.

“A-after you left with… with these two,” Thunderlane began, still trying to catch his breath, having probably running the whole way from surface to this cell, “I-Inkpot and Quill announced t-that… that as their p-part… to help gain… justice for Boysen that they would… would launch a mission to attack Canterlot and show… show Equestria that w-we aren’t to be trifled with.”

“W-what, they’re going to attack Canterlot?” The Twilight fake exclaimed. “We need to get out of here and warn them.” Thunderlane shook his head.

“You two are prisoners here, I can’t let you leave.” Thunderlane explained. Dusk grabbed the pony by the shoulders and looked him square in the eyes.

“Two things Thunderlane; one, didn’t you say that if the Alliance crossed that line that you’d have no choice but to leave since you couldn’t do it?” Dusk asked.

“Y-yes, but these ponies were involved in the incident that nearly killed your sister. Even after separating from the Alliance I can’t let them go without facing justice.” Thunderlane reasoned. “It just wouldn’t be right for us to just let them walk out.”

“These two aren’t the real Dusk and Twilight. They are in disguise, and if I’m right, those chains do what I expect, soon enough the spell concealing them will drain the magic that is making them appear this way and reveal who they are.” Dusk stated, and as if on cue, the spell wore out and revealed the ponies for what they really were.

“Princess Cadence and… her reflection?” Thunderlane questioned. “B-but how, they looked perfect.” He said, trying to wrap his head around the situation.

“I’d disagree, their proportions were way off and their voices really didn’t help them out.” Dusk said. “Now, let’s get them out of here, the ponies up top will be happy for any help to fight against the Alliance loyalists.” Dusk walked over to the ponies and took out his sword in his teeth and slammed it into the lock on Cadence’s chain, which gave up the ghost immediately. Dusk repeated the process on his brother-in-law’s lock with the same results. “Alright, let’s get going. No flying or magic until we’re well away from these chains, they’re quite potent.” Everypony nodded as Dusk rushed out into the lead, rushing through the winding corridor, splashing across the stream as he missed the bridge, but didn’t care to stop as they charge on towards the surface.

Eventually the four ponies reached the more civilized portions of the castle, taking a quick turn towards the clinic. Dusk bucked the door off of its hinges, breaking the look that held it closed before turning in a jump to rush inside. He skidded to a stop when he saw a pony holding a knife to Twilight’s neck.

“Stop right there, Nightshade, or Boysen gets it and hard.” The pony cautioned with murderous intent. “You don’t want her hurt, and I could care less.”

“I don’t have time for this, Boysen, let’s give it to him.” Dusk said with a groan as he charged his horn and shot a magical beam straight into the stallion’s horn, causing the knife to tumble while Twilight shot the knife into the wall, the blade melting to slag as it slid down the stonework. “Quick advice for you, get running before I lose all patience.” The pony charged out of the room, heeding Dusk’s advice.

“Nightshade, I thought you’d never get here, and I see that… Cadence?” Twilight questioned. “What are you doing here, Cadence?”

“Well, until a moment ago I was Twilight by means of a spell, but a bit of chain took the magic away and now I’m me.” She answered nonchalantly.

“Boysen, we got a situation in the courtyard. We need to get there and help apprehend the loyalists.” Dusk explained. “We have no time for cover right now, so let’s go.”

“W-wait, hold on a second, she just suffered a cardiac arrest yesterday and you’re ordering her to do highly strenuous work already?” Thunderlane questioned, looking at Dusk as if he was a crazed loon.

“Remember how I said a cardiac arrest wouldn’t stop her in the slightest?” Dusk asked, Thunderlane nodded in response, “Well, we’ll just say that it doesn’t stop her in anyway and leave it at that.” He looked back towards Twilight, who was putting on the chest piece of her armor, leaving her helmet like he had.

“B-but how is that even possible?” Thunderlane stammered.

“Well, I’ll just say it isn’t and leave it at that. She was alright this morning and was raring to go, only staying here because of the doctor and I insisting, and now she’s leaving because I say so and there is a very good reason.” Dusk stated.

“Well, let’s get going if we got such a good reason.” Twilight said walking up to them. “Or do we have time for sightseeing?”

“Maybe after we help get the situation under control, but not before then, follow me.” Dusk replied. Everypony charged out of the clinic and into the halls once again, taking turn after turn as they drew closer and closer to their target.

The five ponies burst through the main doors and found the two groups of ponies fighting, one group with their helmet off and the other still with helmets on, the helmed ones most likely being the loyalists, especially since they surrounded the ponies closest and the leaders themselves. Suddenly a flood of royal guards descended from the sky, while the main gates were broken open, revealing even more royal guards.

“Maybe they have it covered.” Twilight ventured before the sound of a horn blared across the sky, and on the far hills, a force of ponies arrayed in the same red mane and white coat charged towards them, headed by two other ponies of matching colors of blue and black with tan overcoats. “Or maybe I spoke too soon.” Suddenly a blue box appeared in the middle of the courtyard, throwing the ponies away that had been where it now forced itself to be. The double doors opened and a slew of guards in royal guard armor spewed forth and joined the battle. “Or maybe I was right.”

“Or maybe we should try to intervene while there are still ponies left to save and stop correcting ourselves when the tables start to turn.” Dusk commented. Dusk grasped his pendant in his magic and snapped it off, his true colors showing through. Twilight smirked and snapped her chain as well and took the armor piece off, spreading her wings.

“Y-you two were… really Twilight and Dusk the whole time?” Thunderlane stammered in surprise. “Is this going to get any more convoluted, or are we good for now?”

“I’d say we work out all the twists for now.” Dusk said with a nod from Twilight. Now let’s go and see if we can stop this thing. All four alicorns spread their wings and prepared to take off, when suddenly a blast of yellow and blue magic blinded them and everypony around. When the light cleared, the royal sisters and brothers appeared above everything, casting a spell that stopped the motion of everything within a large circumference, so large, in fact, that even Sire and Majesty’s force were frozen.

“EVERYPONY, BE STILL!” The mighty royal Canterlot voice of Celestia rang out across the battlefield, and everypony obliged, though it was by force instead of wanting to. “This battle is not necessary! Blood need not be shed today!”

“You nearly killed one of our ponies! Blood of the common pony need not be spilled,” Quill Scratch shouted the reply, “But as justice demands, your blood, as well as the blood of you reflection need be spilled!”

“I’ll correct that statement.” Twilight said, still trapped in Celestia’s magic before she suddenly landed on her stomach as the field disappeared suddenly. She stood up and wrapped her magic around her broken pendant and wrapped the broken chains around her neck, the spell reviving and changing her appearance to Boysenberry’s. “She nearly killed me, and as the victim, I do not press charges against her purely because I know she didn’t mean to do me harm to that extent.”

“You have all heard her proclamation, and you have also heard to true intent of the Alliance. Choose now, do you stand with them, or do you stand by Boysenberry and Nightshade? Remove your helmet if you wish to leave the Alliance and never return to its ways!” With that, everypony was released from the spell.

“Brothers and sisters,” Inkpot shouted from the stage, “Be not deceived by her, stand by me and the Alliance! Let the world be one whole, not two halves!” The ponies slowly drift apart, some going towards the Alliance’s side, while others took their helmets off and marched over to Twilight and Dusk, who both wore their pendants, now joined together to form one symbol. Eventually the two sides were divided, a massive advantage for Twilight and Dusk being as the other side was comprised of Sire and Majesty fighters who had not heard the declaration made by Inkpot and Quill Scratch and some personal friends of the two new leaders. Celestia again cast her spell on the Alliance ponies, trapping them in a magical field, moving them into a massive carriage that was enclosed in metal bars.

“Be not mistaken, Celestia!” Quill Scratch shouted out. “Our beliefs are still strong in the hearts of everypony. We have won; even in this loss we have won a great victory.”

“Say what you may, but because of your own faulty leadership, you chance at obtaining your goal is now impossible, for everypony all across Equestria has heard your intent, and has rejected you.” Artemis proclaimed before sealing the ponies with a magical shield.