• Published 13th Jun 2015
  • 3,665 Views, 107 Comments

A Slice of Flutterdash - UnlicensedBrony



A series of short scenes, snippets and skits detailing a behind-the-scenes relationship between Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash. Based on Bookplayer's "The Appledash Project"

  • ...
10
 107
 3,665

7 - Celebrity (Green Isn't Your Colour)

“Oh my gosh, that's Fluttershy!”

“No way! Hey, Fluttershy! Can you sign this, please?”

“Quick, she's getting away!”

Fluttershy had already broken into a sprint down the street, her hooves pounding against the dirt and her breath coming hard. The voices on her tail weren't too close, but they weren't getting further either – she was just about keeping the distance, and she couldn't keep it up for long.

In her desperation, she turned down an alley, hoping to break her pursuers' line of sight for long enough to lose them. It might've worked, if the alley she'd turned down hadn't been a dead end. She skidded to a halt in front of a sheer wall and glanced around for other exits. There were none.

One of the voices called out in confusion, and Fluttershy knew she only had a few seconds to weigh her options. If she could calm herself down enough to get her wings to listen to her, she might be able to fly up and over the buildings. But then, she wasn't a very fast flier, and she knew that flying would only draw more attention to herself. She knew because she'd tried it before.

If flying was out, that left two options. To hide – which would be difficult, considering that the alley was bare – or to face her pursuers. She bit her lip and turned towards the entrance of the alley, knowing that her pursuers would come around the corner any second, and she'd be trapped.

And then a rainbow blur tore down from the sky and slammed into the ground, kicking up a cloud of dust. Fluttershy covered her eyes with a hoof as it settled, and as it did, she saw a very welcome sight smirking at her from just a few steps ahead.

“Need a lift?” said Rainbow Dash, flapping her wings demonstratively.

Fluttershy stared at her and stammered. “I-I...”

“Where'd she go?”

“She went down that alley! Hurry, girls – I have to get her to sign my poster or my sister will kill me!”

Panic spurring her into motion, Fluttershy nodded emphatically and rushed forwards. Rainbow lowered herself, letting Fluttershy jump onto her back.

“Hold on tight,” said Rainbow, as Fluttershy wrapped her hooves around her neck.

“Please don't go too fa—AH!”

They shot into the sky like a bullet, and Fluttershy could only squeal and squeeze her eyes shut as she clung onto Rainbow for dear life. All sound but the tearing wind vanished from her world, the voices of her pursuers forgotten as she realised that she'd traded one scary situation for another. She took some comfort in the knowledge that she could trust Rainbow to protect her. As long as they didn't crash...

Mercifully though, they didn't. Fluttershy felt them slowing down after a few panicked seconds that felt like minutes. They finally came in for a silent landing, and Fluttershy could tell that they were inside because the wind had stopped completely.

“You can open your eyes now,” said Rainbow. “And maybe ease up on my neck a little.”

Fluttershy forced herself to open one eye and glance at her surroundings. She found herself in the familiar cloud décor of Rainbow Dash's bedroom. It was a simple room, with a bed, bedside table, Wonderbolts posters on the wall and an open doorway leading downstairs. There was also an open window, which Fluttershy guessed was how they got in.

It took her a moment, but she eventually decided that it was safe to get down. She loosened her grip and slipped down from Rainbow's back, landing soundlessly on the cloud-stuff floor. Rainbow Dash rolled her neck, folded her wings and turned to smile at Fluttershy. “Thank you for flying Air Rainbow. We know you had an awesome flight, but feel free to tell us so.”

Fluttershy cracked a smile. “My hero,” she said. She stepped forward and planted a long kiss on Rainbow's lips.

When they parted, Rainbow's smile grew tenfold. “Wow. If that's what I get for rescuing you from your adoring fans, I might just have to make a habit of it.”

“Please do,” said Fluttershy, walking over to the window. Looking out, she saw Ponyville in the distance and no sign of her pursuers. She'd escaped. 'For now,' she thought, as she closed the window. She took a deep breath and felt her heart still pounding away in her chest, winding down from the adrenaline of the flight. The breath came out as a sigh.

“What's up?” said Rainbow.

“Oh, nothing.” Fluttershy turned and walked over to sit on the edge of the bed. “I'm just not sure how long I can keep doing this. I can't even go into town now without ponies chasing after me, asking me to sign things and--” She shuddered. “--take photos with them.”

Rainbow rolled her eyes. “Boy, I'd hate to have your problems,” she muttered. When Fluttershy frowned at her though, Rainbow looked away and changed her tone. “I wouldn't worry too much. I give it another week or two before the next big thing comes along, and when it does, everyone'll forget this whole thing ever happened.”

Fluttershy nodded. “I hope so.”

“For what it's worth, I hope it dies down soon, too,” said Rainbow. “I've gotta admit, I was getting kinda jealous, hearing everypony around town talking about you all the time.”

Shaking her head, Fluttershy wondered if Rainbow could understand. “Being in the limelight isn't all it's cracked up to be. It's actually quite terrifying. At least for me.”

“Ah, I didn't mean jealous like that,” said Rainbow, waving it off and coming over to sit beside her on the bed. “I guess hearing everypony talking about how beautiful you are, how they'd love to have somepony like you as their friend--” Her eyes darkened. “--or marefriend... I don't know. It just kinda seems like that's the stuff I'm supposed to think about you.” Rainbow shrugged and half-turned away, obviously embarrassed at having said that out loud.

Fluttershy stared at her for a moment, then smiled and touched Rainbow's leg with a hoof. “Well, you have nothing to be jealous about. You're the only one I think about that way.”

Rainbow glanced down at Fluttershy's hoof, and returned the smile as she covered it with her own. “You mean that?”

“Of course,” said Fluttershy. She blinked, then stammered. “O-oh. That's not weird, is it? I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable--”

Rainbow laughed. “No, no, it's cool. It's just somethin' I've been thinking about.”

Fluttershy relaxed again. “Oh?”

“I've been with others ponies before, y'know?” said Rainbow. “And each of them had something special that I really liked about them. But that never stopped me from looking at other ponies, thinking about them like that, too. Not that I'd ever do anything about it, but still.”

“Oh,” said Fluttershy again, lowering her gaze nervously. “Well, um, I don't have that.”

Rainbow curled her lip. “Yeah, neither do I, that's what I was thinking about.”

Fluttershy bit the inside of her cheek, thinking for a moment to confirm that that didn't quite make sense. When she looked up at Rainbow, she found her staring out towards the window with a thoughtful look on her face.

“Since I've been with you, I haven't so much as taken a second look at anypony else,” Rainbow said. “It's like I don't even think about it anymore. And I hadn't even noticed it happening.”

Fluttershy's face warmed up. She wasn't quite sure that it was a compliment, but it certainly felt like one. There was a bit of a pause while she wondered how to respond, before deciding on, “I'm flattered... I think?”

“I don't know,” said Rainbow. “It just occurred to me, is all.” She stared at the window for a moment longer, before a smirk crossed her face and she turned to meet Fluttershy's eyes. “I guess I only have eyes for you, huh?”

That was definitely a compliment, she could see it in Rainbow's eyes. The confident smirk made Fluttershy want to hide behind her mane and blush while grinning madly, but she only got half-way, finding that she couldn't bring herself to break eye contact. They smiled at one another for a long time, and for Fluttershy, it was one of those moments that she'd keep with her – that she'd smile and think about when she went to sleep each night. It was a wonderful feeling, one that she felt a lot lately, despite not being able to give it a solid name. Warm didn't really do it credit.

“Oh, hey, that reminds me!” said Rainbow. She turned and fished around in the drawer of her bedside table for a moment, before pulling out a photograph. “Mind signing this for me? I'm gonna frame it and keep it here, if that's cool.”

The mare in the photograph wore a lovely green dress that came down past her hooves, and had her pink hair done up in an elegant bun. She had a tiny, frightened yet earnest smile on her face. Fluttershy recognised it immediately. It was one of the first photos that Photo Finish had taken of her – one of those that she'd claimed did not have 'The Magicks'. It had been one of Fluttershy's favourites though.

“Where did you get that?” she asked, taking it from Rainbow to get a closer look.

“One of Photo Finish's guys set up a stall in the market, selling them. When I heard about it, I was gonna go buy 'em out, but most of 'em were already sold when I got there. I mean, not that I was surprised – it's a great photo.”

Fluttershy smiled. “Photo Finish was very good at her job.”

“Yeah, well, I wouldn't give her all the credit,” said Rainbow, producing a quill from her drawer and offering it along with another smirk.

With a grateful blush, Fluttershy took the quill and leant down to sign the photo in the bottom corner. She wrote, “To Rainbow. With love, Fluttershy.” It was a simple message, but it was special, and honest – the only honest autograph she'd given since becoming famous.

Rainbow accepted the photo and quill back, smiling when she saw what was written. “Thanks,” she said. She placed the items back in her drawer with care, and closed it, before getting to her hooves and stretching. “Well, I guess those fans are gonna be looking for you all over town. You'd better lay low 'til the heat dies down.”

“That's probably a good idea,” Fluttershy agreed.

Rainbow nodded and smiled back at her. “What do you wanna do in the meantime?”

“Oh, well,” said Fluttershy, hiding a little behind her fringe as she found a nervy smile of her own. “I'm sure we'll think of something.”

* * *