• Published 15th Nov 2014
  • 1,508 Views, 32 Comments

The Ballad of Time Turner and Rainbow Dash: Are a Drag - dramatic_spoon



Dash and Time Turner's parents meet for the first time.

  • ...
0
 32
 1,508

The Waiting World

“So…Firefly,” Fortuna broke the silence, “Dash and Turner tell us you work at the flight school?”

“Huh? Oh, right.” Firefly shrugged, “Yeah.”

“It must be so rewarding, working with such promising young fliers.”

“Well…” Firefly shrugged again, “Mixed bag. Some of the kids are pretty good, some are pretty rough, and some are pretty hopeless.”

“That’s a rather strong word to use, isn’t it?” Clagan interrupted.

“Look, Everyone’s dream is to be a Wonderbolt, or part of the Royal Guard or whatever nonsense, right?” Firefly shook her head, “Not everyone can be, some folks do well enough to work in the rainbow factory, or snow makers or whatever. And then the kids who aren’t any good at flying…Well…”

“He also mentioned you were almost part of the Wonderbolts yourself,” Clagan continued on.

“Yeah. Almost made it.” Firefly sighed, “I don’t really want to talk about that, alright?”

“Yes, dear,” Fortuna added, “something like that sounds like such a sensitive topic.”

Before Clagan count respond, Dash and Time Turner returned with a tray of glass tumblers and ice.

“Sorry, back mom. Brought ice incase you wanted some.” Dash flashed a grin as she sat back down. Turner also sat down, next to his mother. Firefly quickly dropped a few cubes of ice into a glass before topping it off with bourbon and taking a drink.

“It’s good bourbon, you sure you don’t want any?” Firefly asked as Dash filled up her own glass.

“I’ll stick to wine, thank you.” Fortuna lifted her own glass.

“I’m not going to drink anything,” Turner chuckled.

“I think I will help myself to some wine. I prefer whisky, but it appears we don’t have any.”

Firefly scowled as the stallion poured a glass of wine. Dash jabbed her elbow into her mother’s ribs.

“He’s doing it on purpose,” Dash hissed, “don’t let him get to you.”

“Trying, kid.” She hissed back.

Bluestreak trotted back into the room, sitting down next to Dash.

“You have a very nice bathroom, are the counters slate or marble?”

“Slate.” Fortuna responded.

“Do you mind if I have some wine?” Bluestreak continued on.

“Of course not, go ahead.”

“Can’t help but notice that it came from Mesmerican vineyards,” Bluestreak continued, “Do you normally buy their wine or was this a gift?”

“It’s a nice vineyard,” Fortuna took a sip from her glass, “It has that slight acidic flavor.”

“My younger brother owns the vineyard,” Bluestreak chuckled.

“You never told us that, Dashie.” Fortuna looked at the mare. Dash paused, bourbon halfway to her mouth.

“Well…I didn’t think Uncle Smoke was that important to talk about,” Dash shrugged, “Beside I don’t drink wine, so I didn’t know what his grape thing was called anyway.”

“Hrmph.” Clagan frowned, “Turner said that you are a teacher.”

“Well…sort of.” Bluestreak paused, “I’m a historian.”

“What era?” Clagan continued on.

“Well I’m mostly focused on the Ancient Pegasi City states in the period before they’re united by Commander Hurricane.”

“Ah.” Clagan paused, “Turner said you taught art.”

“I dabble in art history too.” Bluestreak shrugged, “Mostly Dada.”

“Pre or post Great Griffon War?”

“Pre.”

“Well that can’t be much of a history,” Clagan scoffed.

“I disagree. There’s certainly very Dada aspects to the Anti-Art movement before the war.” Bluestreak countered.

“Yes, but Dadaism isn’t well established until the war was well into the third year of the war.” Clagan retorted, “Obviously anything in the prewar situation that was remotely similar to Dada would retroactively become Dada.”

“That’s where I disagree,” Bluestreak put his wine glass down, “See, if we want to argue Modern and Post-Modern, we have to take the pre-war situation into account. What passes off as Modern in the Griffon Empire is different than what the French or Ibexians consider Modern.”

“Hardly.” Clagan scoffed.

The two continued a lively, animated conversation as Firefly rolled her eyes and drained her glass.

“Why don’t we go to the next room, so they can keep talking?” Fortuna suggested.

“Yeah, whatever.” Firefly shrugged as she picked up the bottle of Bourbon.

Fortuna’s aura plucked her own glass off the table, “Turner, Rainbow, would you mind getting dinner set up?”

“No, we can do it.” Dash cut off Time Turner’s response.

“Thank you dearie.” The two mothers left the room, while Bluestreak and Clagan continued to argue. Dash and Turner got up and returned to the kitchen.

“Did she mention what you guys were serving?” Dash asked.

“Why did you tell her that we’d set it up?” Turner ignored her question.

“You really want to be in the same room with mom stories?” Dash countered, “I nearly fell asleep listening to Dad talk about Dodo.”

“Dada”

“Whatever,” Dash waved the thought away, “The point is; now we don’t have to listen.”

“You really think your mom is going to tell embarrassing stories about you?”

“It’s what parents do.”

---

“So then, Firefly, how did you meet Bluestreak?” Fortuna asked, refilling her wine glass.

“High School.”

“Oh, High School sweethearts? How romantic.”

“Yeah, it’s like one of those cheesy romance novels, with the tomboy and the shy, quiet guy,” Firefly drained her glass, “I hate those. Bluestreak likes them though.”

“Really?” Fortuna chuckled as she poured herself another glass of wine, “I wouldn’t have guessed.”

“How did you two meet?” Firefly changed the subject, “I mean he’s…”

“Grumpy and conceited?”

“I was gonna say-”

“Asshole?”

“Well…”Firefly trailed off, “Yeah.”

“I’ve heard it plenty of times,” Fortuna smiled, “Why, the first time I met him, I slapped him.”

“I can’t imagine why.” Firefly grumbled, taking another swing of her drink.

“He can’t help it, it was part of his upbringing,” Fortuna paused, “His parents were both rather harsh on him.”

“That doesn’t really excuse anything,” Firefly mumbled as she looked down at her glass, avoiding eye contact.

“…True.” Fortuna shrugged, “Please be patient with him though, he takes time to warm up to people.”

“…What do you think of my daughter?” the pegasus abruptly changed the subject, taking Fortuna back.

“I beg your pardon?”

“Dash.” Firefly turned her attention away from her alcohol and towards Fortuna, “what do you think about her?”

---

“What the heck is this stuff?” Dash frowned.

“Pitepalt. Sort of a dumpling, stuffed with onions, barley and some spices.” Turner began setting the table, placing several plates and utensils out.

“And this thing?” Dash opened a jar of a reddish jelly

“Lingonberry jam.”

“And this one?” Dash lifted the lid off a pot on the stove, “its soup.”

“Artsoppa, Yellow Pea Soup.”

“And these roll looking things?” Dash lifted the lid off a large sauce pan, revealing it to be filled with rolls of cabbage, smothered a light grey sauce.

“Kaldolmar in onion-butter gravy.”

“A kaleidoscope?”

“Kaldolmar. Rice and some other vegetables wrapped in cabbage.” Turner replied.

“Why didn’t you just call it cabbage rolls?” Dash rolled her eyes as she began to spoon the rolls into a serving platter.

“Because Cabbage rolls are part of a lot of different cultures, and this is a specific type. For reasons I’ve never really understood, my mother is very found of Gotlandish cuisine.”

“Isn’t it all smorgasbords and ABBA?” Dash frowned.

“ABBA is a musical group, not a food.” Time Turner paused, “How do you know ABBA?”

“Dad dragged me to that musical about them. Mom was sick, so she made me go.”

Mama Mia?” Time Turner asked, baffled.

“That was it,” Dash paused, “He likes the band.”

---

“Dash is…” Fortuna paused, “Please don’t tell my husband this, but Dash is his worst nightmare. She’s the last sort of mare that my husband expected Turner to fall in love with.”

“Really.”

“My husband expected him to find a more…shall we say submissive mare? The first time we met her, Turner admitted he was expecting a fight to break out.” Fortuna paused, “It nearly did, for the record. I imagine she omitted that when she retold this to you.”

“She mentioned it.”

“Well…He’s warming up to her. He admitted she’s strong willed, and loyal. There are some things he still doesn’t like about her, but he’ll just have to get use to them.”

“That’s nice, but it’s not answering my question,” Firefly paused, “What do you think about her?”

“I like her. She’s not afraid to speak her mind, she’s protective, and she’s quick to rush in to defend her friends and lovers, and always does what’s necessary.” Fortuna took a sip of her wine, “That said, she’s impulsive and doesn’t always think things through. She can be lazy, but ponies can change. Did she actually drop out of Flight School?”

“Yes. She got picked up by the Weather Team pretty quickly, so she got a lot of hooves-on work experience. She could probably go back and finish things up easily, tends to happen when you are Wonderbolt material.” Firefly shrugged.

“And what do you think about Turner?” Fortuna asked.

“Reminds me of Bluestreak when we started dating. Awkward, dorky, clumsy, but he’s got a good head and a good heart.”

“…Well, I think we should check on the two of them, see how dinner is coming along.” Fortuna stood up, “if I drink any more I might be too drunk to enjoy it. Have you ever had Gotlandish cuisine?”

“It’s all smorgasbords and ABBA, isn’t it?” Firefly drained her glass and slammed it on the table.